Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

- You get to hug your mother if you collect all 100 feathers and she says some stuff.

- "The Truth" is about adam & eve being ancient super people iirc

- In Brotherhood you 'rebuild' Rome but I found it less engrossing than your Villa, 4 also has a pirate base that is just as forgettable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think new expansions to old games are a missed opportunity in general. Plenty of stuff from the last decade plus still looks and plays fine, especially after a cleanup remaster. But Nordic is one of the few publishers both with access to a catalog of old IPs, and an interest in the likely small returns that kind of project brings.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Red faction guerilla re-marstered edition has yet to be dethroned

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Titan Quest is the other game they did this with.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Question for the thread: I'm buying some random DLCs for games I like, and am ~$5 short of the $30 coupon cutoff. Which of these three games should I add to my cart?

Wintermoor Tactics Club ($10)
Journey ($11)
Madorica Real Estate ($8.50)

I'm aware that these are three radically different games; I'm torn because:

* The story/setting/concept of Wintermoor sounds super interesting, although I'm iffy on tactics games as a genre

* Everybody says how amazing Journey is, but like, I'm not sure I want to drop that much money on what seems like a really passive Experience Game

* I love puzzles/escape room-type games, which would put Madorica at the top of the list, but I'm really not sure how good the puzzles are in practice; has anybody played it that can speak to whether the puzzles are Solveable by Humans versus Bullshit?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

I recommend anyone into these deckbuilders to try that Runeterra F2P TCG for the expeditions draft mode. It's basically the Hearthstone dungeon run but for PVP.

To add to this, I've tried most of the major TCGs over the last 25+ years, physical and digital, and Runeterra is tied with Netrunner as the best designed game of them all.

I've been playing for 6-8 weeks now and have yet to spend a dime, and can build most of the big meta decks. the game is extremely generous with free cards.

Shared rounds with only one player able to attack is a complete game changer over turns.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I think new expansions to old games are a missed opportunity in general. Plenty of stuff from the last decade plus still looks and plays fine, especially after a cleanup remaster. But Nordic is one of the few publishers both with access to a catalog of old IPs, and an interest in the likely small returns that kind of project brings.

I guess you could say Bethesda did this with Skyrim, though the content was more piecemeal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sab669 posted:

Did they get the state of Rhode Island to fund the remaster? Maybe it'll turn out better this time.

THQ bought the rights from the State of Rhode Island & Providence Plantations last year, so I can no longer recommend the game because I will not be seeing any more residuals.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is Heaven’s Vault any good? Because otherwise... yikes. The good telltale games are the kind of thing where basically anyone interested in them already owns them, so I’m not really sure who this bundle is for.

Heavens vault is really good if you like languages and puzzles. The space sailing is a bit annoying but the story and and deciphering the language is fun and done in a clever way. you can probably get just heavens vault for about the same price anyway.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

THQ bought the rights from the State of Rhode Island & Providence Plantations last year, so I can no longer recommend the game because I will not be seeing any more residuals.

Any idea what they bought it for? Quick Google search and I can't find it, but most websites are blocked at work.

I had no love for the game, but as a former Rhode Islander I was bummed that it bombed. I had a lot of friends interning / applying for jobs at 38 Studios when I was in college.

Definite a stupid loving investment from the state though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Any idea what they bought it for? Quick Google search and I can't find it, but most websites are blocked at work.

I had no love for the game, but as a former Rhode Islander I was bummed that it bombed. I had a lot of friends interning / applying for jobs at 38 Studios when I was in college.

Definite a stupid loving investment from the state though.

Given how badly RI ate poo poo on the deal I think even a couple million would've been wildly appreciated.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Samuringa posted:

- You get to hug your mother if you collect all 100 feathers and she says some stuff.

- "The Truth" is about adam & eve being ancient super people iirc

- In Brotherhood you 'rebuild' Rome but I found it less engrossing than your Villa, 4 also has a pirate base that is just as forgettable

The citybuilding stuff in Brotherhood is kind of meh but I did like how it introduced the concept of recruiting and leveling up your own school of assassins by sending them out on missions around the world; it was a fun little casual immersion thing to do and check in on periodically in the background (same for the fleet stuff in black flag/rogue) and I kind of miss it in the more recent games tbh.

Enjoy brotherhood, I think the combat in this game is my favorite of the series. The introduction of the chain kill really takes it to the next level.

The modern day stuff is divisive yeah; the desmond plot continues through brotherhood, revelations, and 3; iirc it's not toooo intrusive in brotherhood and revelations, at least not compared to 2 (and certainly not 3, where there's quite a bit of it).

Fortunately after 3 it seems like the devs realized a lot of people didn't like that part of the game and it really starts to take a backseat. In black flag/rogue, most of the modern day stuff is optional (you can spend quite a bit of time on it if you want, but the critical path zips along pretty fast), and in a few of the games after that I think it's just some short cutscenes. That said, the whole first civilization plotline continues to run through the background of the game and only gets dumber but you can tune it out for the most part and focus on the cool history stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Brotherhood is incredibly fun to play due to the way it gives you basically just one really huge and intricate city to mess around in and do whatever you want with. In terms of gameplay, it's pretty much a distillation of everything that was good about AC2. As a story, it's kind of forgettable, though, and it doesn't do or add much to Ezio's character beyond what was already done with AC2. Under the bottom line, Brotherhood is basically AC2-2: More Of The Same, and how much you'll enjoy it depends mostly on how much you want a sandbox that is willing to give you more of that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rinkles posted:

Titan Quest is the other game they did this with.

Age of Empires 2 did this and pretty much revived the entire brand.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Two Worlds 2 came out with a new expansion as well.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

How’s EDF 5 for someone with ~200 hours in MHW:I? Not really interested in online play.

I’m bouncing off a lot of my steam library lately and I’m trying to find something other than just firing up yet another PoE build.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's not really very comparable. EDF is a wave-based spectacle shooter and Monster Hunter World isn't. Except for the fact that they're both third-person and have giant monsters in them, they're pretty much just completely different games.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

edf is basically a dynasty warriors game but you are mowing down waves of bugs and things instead of people.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

I was coming here to post this as well, today is the day of discovering chair loving.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I can't believe AxeManiac made a game

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Those achievement icons are truly masterpieces.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Going by the trailer, that chair loving game has much higher production values than I would've expected.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh Spiders. What if the French Revolution but robots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDAaeBSp4ow

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

That looks rad, I'd be hype if literally any other company was doing it

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Orv posted:

Oh Spiders. What if the French Revolution but robots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDAaeBSp4ow

I put on my wig and lace cravat

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Awesome! posted:

edf is basically a dynasty warriors game but you are mowing down waves of bugs and things instead of people.

I'm sorry, did you miss the humanoid aliens? They look just like us, they use two eyes in which to see their surroundings. They also hear things out of 2 ears, just like humans.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Paris: Become Human.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

So before this sale ends are there any “ must buys”? I picked monster train, ace combat 7, and nioh because of this thread so far.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Det_no posted:

Paris: Become Human.

Like the French Revolution, but if you were meant to empathize with the peasants.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So before this sale ends are there any “ must buys”? I picked monster train, ace combat 7, and nioh because of this thread so far.

I've only been playing Tabletop Simulator for a couple of days but it has been a healing salve for these quarantine times.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Samuringa posted:

I've only been playing Tabletop Simulator for a couple of days but it has been a healing salve for these quarantine times.

Yeah if you have any interest in modern board games TTS is a steal at $10. It’s very easy to find high quality free mods for most high rated board games, and some have limited rules enforcement.

It’s no substitute for getting together for board games in person, but these days that’s difficult.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Terraria for 5$ is a steal. The game is already massively underpriced even at the usual ten dollars for what that money gets you, but at 50% off it's literally the best deal on Steam right now.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
What's the last word on Intergalactic Fishing? I know a few goons were playing it back on launch and had generally good opinions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
As the sale closes, going to quote a review I wrote for the old thread for a really great game that's now down to $5:

Occultatio posted:

Oh man, I just finished Super Daryl Deluxe and I had SUCH a great time with it. Probably the highest praise I can offer is that I actually finished the whole thing and close to 100%'d it.

I don't know how to describe the game in a way that makes it sound good and not horribly lame, but basically it's an exploration-based brawler (calling it a metroidvania is a little generous, since there's almost no backtracking except for optional goodies and basically no sequence breaking whatsoever) set in a totally normal high school where most of the kids and teachers have vanished and all the classrooms open up into weird themed hellscapes filled both with bizarre monsters (like floating tuba-playing ghosts who hit you with a giant boxing glove that pops out of the tuba bell) and random historical and literary figures.

The good: the combat is just skill-based enough to make you work at it, but never so hard that you need to be actually "good" to make it through (unlike Hollow Knight, which I had to put down because I was just not skilled enough to beat the bosses). While it never requires you to grind (as long as you're doing the dozens and dozens of sidequests), it allows you to, and there was at least one boss that I wasn't good enough to beat when I first encountered them but was able to eke out a victory after beating up a bunch of bad guys, and while that's a little lame I'm happy on balance that it didn't just end my playthrough. There are also like 40 different combat moves, most of which feel great to use, and all of which not only get more powerful as you level them up but change Daryl's animation in fun ways (like going from riding a surfboard through your enemies to riding a great white shark).

Honestly, though, the best thing about this game is just how gloriously goofy it is. Obviously senses of humor may vary, but I was incredibly impressed at how consistently funny it stayed without ever becoming grating. It''s absurd in the best way, playing a whole sequence of ridiculous premises totally straight (with one or two straight men off to the side holding their heads in bewilderment), including my favorite take on the "silent protagonist" trope I have literally ever seen. The way it ended the Big Final Fight in particular had me in tears of laughter.

The last thing I should mention is that the soundtrack absolutely loving SLAPS. Not only are the individual tracks great, but towards the end, when all the weird academic hellscapes start to collapse into each other, the composer begins distorting and remixing the various themes together and it still works.

Also, of course, there's the game's official theme song, which... let me close by saying, if you like the humor of this song, you will not be disappointed by the full game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCwUGEPAqS0

God, what an incredible trip that was. Go play it!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

River City Girls

Kenshi

Yakuza Bundle

Freedom Planet

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

River City Girls
Link?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Outer Wilds. It's the purest form of the idea of a walking simulator. All you do is travel and explore the mysteries of your solar system.

It can get incredibly frustrating at some points, but usually there's always an easier way you just haven't figured out yet.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

hollow knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Last I checked, that game was a bit of a mess and didn't even let you do basic things like rebind the controls for some reason, so I'd recommend reading up on it first before you decide to spend the money on it. 20$ even after discount is a lot more than I think the game is really worth.