Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Redundant posted:

My crew ended up stealing evidence from the bluecoats to get a loyal fence and it all went mostly fine but some of the mystical stuff kind of eludes me with it. In the last session my whisper ended up isolated after succeeding in the heist and was looking for a way out. Since the crew has Ghost Echoes and the whisper has a spirit key I let them unlock a door to the echo of an old tenement building that had been burnt/knocked down in the past and hide out there after a survey roll and a desperate attune roll (the ghost field isn't to be toyed with lightly) but I worry I've made a rod for my own back. In a heist game being able to just disappear into thin air is a powerful thing.

I guess other factions will have whispers who won't fall for it and I can always retroactively nerf it if it becomes a crutch.

I mean, the ghost field isn't empty of its own dangers. Its like an alligator-infested sewer: sure, you can use it to give the cops/guards the slip. But you need to be careful you don't get your butt bit off. Or cross paths with a nasty revenant/whisper annoyed you're messing up their turf, in this specific case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Redundant posted:

My crew ended up stealing evidence from the bluecoats to get a loyal fence and it all went mostly fine but some of the mystical stuff kind of eludes me with it. In the last session my whisper ended up isolated after succeeding in the heist and was looking for a way out. Since the crew has Ghost Echoes and the whisper has a spirit key I let them unlock a door to the echo of an old tenement building that had been burnt/knocked down in the past and hide out there after a survey roll and a desperate attune roll (the ghost field isn't to be toyed with lightly) but I worry I've made a rod for my own back. In a heist game being able to just disappear into thin air is a powerful thing.

I guess other factions will have whispers who won't fall for it and I can always retroactively nerf it if it becomes a crutch.

I used the "ghost of an old building that had burned down" thing a couple of sessions ago and had a similar worry -- but I think you might be underestimating how much even one desperate attune roll could hurt the players. You're well within your rights to give the players a level three harm like "possessed" for even a 4-5 result on a desperate roll. It takes a while to get the balance of risk right in Blades (I'm definitely not all the way there yet) but the players have a lot of tools to mitigate risk and deal with damage so you should feel free to use risk and damage somewhat freely. Like last session my players were debating two plans, one of which required one roll and one which required two, and I added "and rolling less if you can is always a good idea." Remind them and yourselves that rolls, even something like a controlled/great, is a moment of dramatic tension with real stakes. That should hopefully mitigate any arcane fuckery you're worried about -- and then if it does derail some consequence of yours it's because the PCs earned it.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

And, on the other hand, the crew and character heavily invested resources into being able to do that. It's fine if they can do cool things, especially if they're cool things you're already requiring two rolls (one of which is desperate!) for. That's the sort of required rolling that could have seen them exfiltrate from the situation without a crew ability involved.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I gave the whisper a level 3 harm which they used armour and then resisted down to level 1 and my logic was that they could've used something like Lurk to just run/climb away but they were encumbered and that's less fun. I have also been playing a little bit fast and loose with recovering from level 1 harm because I don't want them to be hungover for multiple sessions because they keep stubbing their toe. If they take a recover action then I am just clearing level 1 harm along with progressing higher tier injuries. Our leech is stepping up to become the doctor though so I might leave them with a bit more work to do as we progress.

I also suffered from some name blindness in the last session and gave an Inspector the same surname as the Bluecoat commander. My players have asked if they're related (drat their observant nature!) and whilst I don't think that fits the Inspectors well I might roll with it any way. Clelland is a corrupt and powerful man after all...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You better believe that if you're trying to dimensionally transfer into the ghost of a building that burned down, rolling anything less than a 6 is going to dump you into the fire that burned it down.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I had a quick question, but do folks think it would be possible/ good to make a blades in the dark that didn't have the "constant doom is all around" aspects? Like you still have the lightning tech and the ghosts, but when you die no-one knows what happens, and there are signs that life is returning to certain places.

I just find myself interested in general skullduggery but I find the sheer bleakness of "you die, the world is hosed and getting worse" not especially appealing at this point in time. Would it undercut the themes too much, or would it be appropriate?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The ghost apocalypse stuff is completely incidental to anything in Blades, except that it provides a handy excuse why "just run away to another city" isn't an option for escaping the consequences of your fuckups. Sparkcraft is completely divorced from ghost stuff, and you could pretty easily reflavour Whispers to being about spirits or whatever instead.

If you can find an alternate excuse for why outside the city is incredibly hard to access and survive in, go hog wild.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I mean I do like the idea that, if a series of heists goes really badly wrong up and running might be an idea. It'd just take time to prep the next city and get set up there.

Would, say, have it so that it goes through phases of extreme growth and for the last decade or so the exterior portions of the dusk have been "lightly" irradiated with plants that grow through your foot and other weirdness?

I do like the dome city approach and the general weirdness of the setting, but I always wanted to have the ectoplasm as like "secret government evil" like harvesting people to power things is seen as horrible, and most folks just use electricity like normal.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 7, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The whole point of the Deathlands is that you can't get out or run if you hosed up, and every single inch of Duskwall is already claimed by someone else because it's been there for centuries and it's literally impossible to expand it, which means you're going to have to fight other factions and steal their poo poo if you want to expand your territory.

Again, you can strip everything about ghosts out as long as you can justify the above.

Also most plasm is made from leviathan blood, not ghosts.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 7, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Wait I'm getting it confused with "melting ghosts down in the electricity" thing.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The ghost apocalypse stuff is completely incidental to anything in Blades, except that it provides a handy excuse why "just run away to another city" isn't an option for escaping the consequences of your fuckups. Sparkcraft is completely divorced from ghost stuff, and you could pretty easily reflavour Whispers to being about spirits or whatever instead.

If you can find an alternate excuse for why outside the city is incredibly hard to access and survive in, go hog wild.

I'll raise one exception to this. The ghost apocalypse provides a reason that killing is an inherently noisy action so playing throatcutters is instantly bad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, when I play Blades I pretty much ignore the setting but play the rules pretty much as written. Things are so narrative just changing the item names or saying heat just happens when people die without a supernatural reason is easy as pie. I mean, the ghosts don't just squeel to the cops.

The setting is just dishonored with an electric fence.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Josef bugman posted:

I had a quick question, but do folks think it would be possible/ good to make a blades in the dark that didn't have the "constant doom is all around" aspects? Like you still have the lightning tech and the ghosts, but when you die no-one knows what happens, and there are signs that life is returning to certain places.

I just find myself interested in general skullduggery but I find the sheer bleakness of "you die, the world is hosed and getting worse" not especially appealing at this point in time. Would it undercut the themes too much, or would it be appropriate?

It really wouldn't be too hard to do with a little buy-in from your players. The reason they don't run away from the law is just that they're street rats and this is the only home they know. Why is murder noisy? The inspectors are more competent. But if they can clean up a crime scene they might be able to miss out on that 2 heat.

The most difficulty you'll have is in coming up with a skill that involves either willpower or the ability to influence something socially to replace attune, because you'll still need the same amount of skills in resolve.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

I'll raise one exception to this. The ghost apocalypse provides a reason that killing is an inherently noisy action so playing throatcutters is instantly bad.

You can still have the Spirit Wardens and crows without having the Deathlands etc., honestly.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Or just have it that murder always leaves a ghost. If you die of old age/ a surfeit of lampreys you are fine, but almost no matter what a violent death leaves a ghost.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I think the most important part that the ghost apocalypse setting adds to the mechanics and themes of the game is the "Duskwall is old and every inch of it is claimed by powerful entrenched forces." The reason not to run away to another setting adds something too but, IMO, not as much as the first bit - after all if the players start their crew over in a new city they'll be giving up a lot of their crew turf, advances, etc. But the sense that to get anything you're going to have to gently caress someone else over is pretty tied into the themes. You can absolutely do that without the doom and gloom that Blades trades in.

But also like, unless your players are incredibly serious and committed keep in mind that even playing in Duskwall-as-written you'll probably be doing more stupid in-jokes and hilariously terrible plans and usual PC bullshit and less grim murder sadness.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It really wouldn't be too hard to do with a little buy-in from your players. The reason they don't run away from the law is just that they're street rats and this is the only home they know. Why is murder noisy? The inspectors are more competent. But if they can clean up a crime scene they might be able to miss out on that 2 heat.

The most difficulty you'll have is in coming up with a skill that involves either willpower or the ability to influence something socially to replace attune, because you'll still need the same amount of skills in resolve.

You could play Attune as just Intuition and let them roll it as a more wishy-washy version of Survey or Study. It'll be a weak skill but that's going to be true once you take away all the ghost-related special abilities regardless.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Blades as a system is great for playing as 'Dudes in a place', like, only one of my three blades games has actually taken place in duskvol. Its so flexible you can pretty much just word replace most of the narrative layer and change the gamefeel meaningfully with barely any work. So you could totally do 'blades but no ghosts' I think. Hell the current game I'm involved in takes place in an alternative history version of the American sixties and all the ghost poo poo has been replaced by demon poo poo.

Literally no overarching magical poo poo holds our crew to the city, except the game, baby, you can't just abandon a good thing. If you leave the crew your literally leaving a lucrative assassination career and all your unstashed cash and influence on the table mid stream. Not only ceasing to be a player character but a playa at all. The whole crew could move out tomorrow but we'd be leaving our contacts, our hold and the work behind. Its not narratively satisfying so we're not gonna do it regardless.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 10, 2020

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I quite like the spooky and serious aspect of the city because it makes the ludicrous and outlandish stuff my crew gets up to stand out even more so it's funnier for us. To quote Bob Ross "you can't have light without (grim) dark".

I can see how it's not for everyone though and the Blades system seems flexible enough to do whatever you want with it. Chop and change whatever you don't like as much as you'd like and it seems like the system will bounce back with a satisfying story still. I'm debating a few other settings for some friends who are interested but not totally convinced by the theme.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mhm, the basic feature of "gangs and individuals in them" works really well, and I think could probably be adapted for a whole load more.

I think it is why we might end up seeing more BitD hacks over AW hacks.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
If anyone's interested, I've recklessly started a Blades in the Dark-roughly-adapted CYOA in the Game Room!

I have no idea if people are going to be on board with it, but I think it could be kinda fun, so please stop by if you'd like.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Has anyone been running Band of Blades?

I've got a query about the rewards from the Capture a Wardstone special mission; hwo long does the 'Pressure doesn't increase' benefit last for?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Angrymog posted:

I've got a query about the rewards from the Capture a Wardstone special mission; hwo long does the 'Pressure doesn't increase' benefit last for?

Just that mission, is how I would run it.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

grobbo posted:

If anyone's interested, I've recklessly started a Blades in the Dark-roughly-adapted CYOA in the Game Room!

I have no idea if people are going to be on board with it, but I think it could be kinda fun, so please stop by if you'd like.

Yeah, you should all come and join in the misfortunes of Fair Winds Trading Company. Grobbo is doing a killer job with the write-ups!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

My Whisper has decided that he wants his ritual to be something that can give people face blindness to reduce heat on the crew. I am basically stealing the example from the book right now and am going to say that the prep is making a cigarette but can't decide whether I want it to be a roll to see if it is effective (more stress means more dice to roll) or just use the time frame of how long the effect lasts for to be the stress cost for the ritual.

I don't really want them to be able to keep the heat too low since that is part of the fun so again I feel like this is something that I will have to tweak as we go (wouldn't be the first time) but if anyone has any general ritual advice I'd be happy to hear it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Redundant posted:

making a cigarette

Should roll to roll imo

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Sounds like Finesse to me, but I could see tinker too. Oh you've rolled a 1? You might as well eat that stuff because you certainly can't smoke it anymore.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Ran my first game of BitD last night, and it was a lot of fun! My players made some fun characters and we did a simple score of sabotaging an Iruvian Sword Fighting Exhibition to appease Bazso. I used the score to explain some of the mechanics along the way, and I could feel the players get more comfortable thinking outside the box when it came to actions and teamwork. The features in Roll20 are a godsend for doing this remotely, although some of them have a weird thing where the double up on item and abilities. Really looking forward to playing again and giving them more options of score to pick.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Ran our second session and I walked away with a question I probably should have sought the answer to first. These first two sessions have been my attempt at tutorializing the game, giving them more scripted (but not overly so) situations to navigate the way Blades is different from Savage Worlds or D&D. This session I wanted them to expand their territory and get a better understanding of how the crew sheet feeds into the players' options and rewards. I expected it to be super quick, a simple four clock to roll a few actions and flesh out their characters but, in my opinion, the crew kept overthinking the situation and trying to turn what I imagined as a simple assault into a stealth mission. And I know that I should let the characters drive the story but wanted to emphasize that this wasn't a score that could be solved non-violently which may have been my mistake. Things took longer than expected and I had hoped to at least get started on a more detailed mission but didn't get the chance.

Anyway, the real question I wanted to ask was how does your group handle the turf/territory expansion? Do you make them as elaborate as any other score, or do you truncate them and spend more focus on "bigger picture" scores? The way I've been handling scores is just to jot down some high level notes and improvise the rest, but I did even less with the territory expansion ideas that I expected them to pick, which they deftly avoided. I think that led to a less satisfying session than the first one, but next session I will pivot back to more planned scores that are designed to be more than a four clock.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Scores or long term projects usually. I think youre right that you made the wrong choice in thinking that turf can never be acquired without violence, it's specifically that someone already owns it and you have to be able to take it from them somehow. If the players can figure out a way to do that non-violently that makes sense, and they can roll well enough, I'd give it to them.

You do control positioning and effect though, so if you thought a stealthy approach was just not a viable solution at all, limiting the effect is always the easiest way to announce to players they should try a different approach. (Or brute force it regardless)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

LawfulWaffle posted:

Ran our second session and I walked away with a question I probably should have sought the answer to first. These first two sessions have been my attempt at tutorializing the game, giving them more scripted (but not overly so) situations to navigate the way Blades is different from Savage Worlds or D&D. This session I wanted them to expand their territory and get a better understanding of how the crew sheet feeds into the players' options and rewards. I expected it to be super quick, a simple four clock to roll a few actions and flesh out their characters but, in my opinion, the crew kept overthinking the situation and trying to turn what I imagined as a simple assault into a stealth mission. And I know that I should let the characters drive the story but wanted to emphasize that this wasn't a score that could be solved non-violently which may have been my mistake. Things took longer than expected and I had hoped to at least get started on a more detailed mission but didn't get the chance.

Anyway, the real question I wanted to ask was how does your group handle the turf/territory expansion? Do you make them as elaborate as any other score, or do you truncate them and spend more focus on "bigger picture" scores? The way I've been handling scores is just to jot down some high level notes and improvise the rest, but I did even less with the territory expansion ideas that I expected them to pick, which they deftly avoided. I think that led to a less satisfying session than the first one, but next session I will pivot back to more planned scores that are designed to be more than a four clock.

If you want to portray something as "an assault on the last hardpoint in this territory" led up to by various choices in other missions that weakened the other gang, well, the difference between an assault score and a stealth score is that assault needs a point of attack and stealth needs a point of inflitration. If it's really the last hardpoint in the territory, you can push back with "it's the last hardpoint in the territory. They're all crammed in there and paranoid as all getout. There is no obvious infiltration point. What are you planning to do with stealth?"

And, I mean, if they have a really good idea for a risky as hell score that involves precision infiltration to hang up a giant "You are not safe here. Love and kisses, the PCs" banner in some central gathering point and send everyone running, that's amazing and also like 95% desperate positions but if that's your bag then go for it buddy.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

I tend to make turf/territory expansion as elaborate as any other heist, although they're generally slightly goofier ideas than the main story heists. In the game I GM the crew is gearing up to finish their war with the Sashes but will occasionally go off on a tangent to do something to boost the crew. This kind of threw me last session because the final step before the big war blow out season ending extravaganza was meant to be a sabotage thing I had planned out with named NPCs and a multi stage process to accomplish the goal, instead of doing that though they wanted to get a loyal fence. I only had a rough idea for that and they ended up trying to intercept evidence held by the Bluecoats before it reached the station, they failed miserably and ended up using flashbacks to incite riots in the cells to cause a distraction (which they are going to regret soooooooo much). The heist wasn't as smooth as I would've liked but at the same time they had a blast nearly failing a bunch and it has inspired some of the threads I am setting for season 2 hooks.

The devils bargains in this game have made me realise what an awful enabler I am. "Oh no, sure you can definitely do that. How about I help out but with just a small catch. Nothing to worry about really, just a little clock we'll call something like.... I don't know.... ALL THE DEMONS :unsmigghh:"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You do control positioning and effect though, so if you thought a stealthy approach was just not a viable solution at all, limiting the effect is always the easiest way to announce to players they should try a different approach. (Or brute force it regardless)

Ah, thanks, I didn't use this right. I definitely should have said "yeah, you can talk to the Gondoliers and try to get them to work with you, but without dealing with the Crows stationed outside their pub you won't have much effect in turning them into effective informants" then let them roll a limited effect

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Another newbie question; when the players are creating their ship, can they choose an upgrade that isn't on the ship sheet - e.g. putting their weapons up by one then selecting particle cannons for the Stardancer, or during creations, are they limited to options printed on the sheet?

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.
I've got a couple A Nocturne questions.

Concerning armatures and war-shells, and scale values vs cost. The book says war-shells cost 5 Profit. Armature printing costs a base of 2 Profit plus Profit according to its scale value. It can be further adjusted by removing flaws and/or adding edges.

What are the limitations, if any, of the scale of an armature? The one-to-one cost of increasing the scale seems like it will make it really easy to get high-scale armatures. I feel like I'm missing something about scale here. Isn't scale an expression of not just size, but power level too? What is the scale of a war-shell?

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins
I have a general question. I want to do something Rogue Trader-y, and I think Scum and Villainy would probably work with sufficient reskinning. Does anyone have any thoughts in that regard, or have an alternate suggestion?

I'd also like to figure out a way to include mech stuff, but I think I will probably just do that as go (very) loud option - the players flash back to hiding a suit of power armor inside the bank's monthly delivery of The Emperor's Own otter pops or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Your S&V/Lancer crossover campaign sounds great!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Haven't played it, but there's already a Rogue Trader Blades hack if you want to use it or just crib from it. https://thysane.itch.io/a-nocturne-play-test

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 5, 2020

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Haven't played it, but there's already a Rogue Trader Blades hack if you want to use it or just crib from it. https://thysane.itch.io/a-nocturne-play-test

This looks interesting! Thank you!

Honestly, having played Lancer for about a year and enjoyed quite a few things about it, replacing its entire system for non-mech time with a Bladeslike would probably be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

spider bethlehem posted:

This looks interesting! Thank you!

Honestly, having played Lancer for about a year and enjoyed quite a few things about it, replacing its entire system for non-mech time with a Bladeslike would probably be a lot of fun.

I mean there is Beam Saber out there, which is just Blades in the Gundam.