Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I dunno if I shared it here already, but have an autobiographical drawing from a time when I also had to deal with dongles

Please direct me to your webcomic so I can procrastinate like it's 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
I'm fervently hoping for at least one more update on the Mitch Saga.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Kurieg posted:

My introductory programming course in 2004 was COBOL.

Freshman year of college,1992, I had to take a Basic programming course - with no opportunity to test out. More than 50% of my projects were re-purposed from my high school Basic class.

The followup programming course was Fortran (on an old VAX/VMS system).

(and you kids get off my lawn!)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GreenNight posted:

If you stuck with it you'd be a super hot commodity making serious bank but you’d be fixing other people’s code 40 hours a week.

FTFY

My first two languages were Fortran and cobol.

I built a simulation that modeled the behavior of neutrons in a nuclear reactor, complete with a dynamic control rod sim in Fortran. It’s the best programming I’ve ever done and I haven’t touched code in a serious way since.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 7, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

You youths. For one of my modules, and I am not joking on this, we handed in hand-written assembly printed on greenbar on a dot matrix printer.

At best we handed stuff in on 3.5" floppy.

in my "introduction to programming" class in 2007 we used pascal and the instructor required a printed copy and 3.5" diskette. he was later fired for getting his dick out in the computer lab

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Weedle posted:

in my "introduction to programming" class in 2007 we used pascal and the instructor required a printed copy and 3.5" diskette. he was later fired for getting his dick out in the computer lab

Isn't this the way of all computer touchers tho?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

In our intro courses, (we(had(handwritten(lisp(tests,gross)))))

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

Isn't this the way of all computer touchers tho?

My intro professor got arrested for hoarding dozens in cats in squalor that required a HAZMAT team to enter his house to get the cats out.

As far as I know, he still works there.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

KillHour posted:

So this is why so many interviews insist on doing coding questions by hand.

I think in my case at least it was a combination of community college (not a bad thing at all, just strapped for funding & space at exam time) and old professor that didn't give a poo poo. Also, though I did not see the merit at the time, there's something to be said for more analyzing the workflow and what you're trying to accomplish rather than stuff like that crazy witchcraft coding story that was posted a while back that compiles but is a complete mindfuck. Were I teaching the class at this point I wouldn't necessarily be averse to a handwritten test since I'd be more interested in seeing if the students got the overall concepts rather than the function names and syntax and stuff perfect, especially since it could cause people to get hung up trying to compile rather than answering questions.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sheep posted:

I think in my case at least it was a combination of community college (not a bad thing at all, just strapped for funding & space at exam time) and old professor that didn't give a poo poo. Also, though I did not see the merit at the time, there's something to be said for more analyzing the workflow and what you're trying to accomplish rather than stuff like that crazy witchcraft coding story that was posted a while back that compiles but is a complete mindfuck. Were I teaching the class at this point I wouldn't necessarily be averse to a handwritten test since I'd be more interested in seeing if the students got the overall concepts rather than the function names and syntax and stuff perfect, especially since it could cause people to get hung up trying to compile rather than answering questions.

I hate handwritten anything because I have a medical condition that makes my hand cramp up holding a pen. I write like a 5 year old.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Chronojam posted:

In our intro courses, (we(had(handwritten(lisp(tests,gross)))))

Were you a Bear?

Sarern posted:

I'm fervently hoping for at least one more update on the Mitch Saga.

Funny you should ask!

hey bossman, any update on the dongle dangle danger?

Since your name is out of it now, they cut me out of the loop, but I know two things:
One, (Director of IT) is really unhappy with the tone Mitch took, especially the "WE GOT HIM"
Two, when I said "six figures"
[to replace the dongle and license the new version], I was mostly trying to scare Mitch, but holy poo poo...

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 7, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A ticket came in:

quote:

please install flash for webinar starting in 5 minutes

:fuckoff:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are they joining a webinar from 2012?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Corporate risk insurance companies sure do operate like it's 2012.

The guy that submitted the ticket is the head of our risk management so I told him that installing Flash was "an unacceptable increase in our risk profile"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What webinar software still uses flash? Is it one of those fake Microsoft tech support scams he's joining?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Malware is written better than Flash, and consumes fewer resources

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sfwarlock’s boss sounds cool as heck

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GreenNight posted:

What webinar software still uses flash? Is it one of those fake Microsoft tech support scams he's joining?

The website I have to take mandatory safety training on has a fallback option for a flash player in case your device doesn't support html5 video.
They also recently upgraded password complexity rules from the ubiquitous "at least 8 chars, mixed case, number, symbol" to "at least 6 chars, absolutely no spaces or symbols except for _ (underscore)", making it impossible to log in with passwords set previously that contained other symbols.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Geemer posted:

The website I have to take mandatory safety training on has a fallback option for a flash player in case your device doesn't support html5 video.
They also recently upgraded password complexity rules from the ubiquitous "at least 8 chars, mixed case, number, symbol" to "at least 6 chars, absolutely no spaces or symbols except for _ (underscore)", making it impossible to log in with passwords set previously that contained other symbols.

If it wasn’t for the website comment, I’d guess you were dealing with a financial company with seriously old legacy systems..

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Those things were already outdated by the time I got there and let’s be real, “trained on Quark Xpress” is not something I want on my resume these days.

And motherfucking PUCK MICE.

gently caress both of those things. Got to deal with both of those when i got my first real IT job in 2000.

DawntoDust posted:

I took some graphic design courses in 2004 like that too—we even had Zip drives to save our work on for the extra laughs.

Ffffff... we still had Syquest drives and a billion cartridges kicking around, though we were mostly using Jaz drives by that point. I finally chucked all of it like 7 years later.

CollegeCop posted:

Freshman year of college,1992, I had to take a Basic programming course - with no opportunity to test out. More than 50% of my projects were re-purposed from my high school Basic class.

The followup programming course was Fortran (on an old VAX/VMS system).

(and you kids get off my lawn!)

<holds up hand> I too, have been there, brother. BATCH JOBS...
Pascal, too. Never had to do COBOL, though. That was Business Administration folks.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

sfwarlock posted:

Were you a Bear?

Funny you should ask!

hey bossman, any update on the dongle dangle danger?

Since your name is out of it now, they cut me out of the loop, but I know two things:
One, (Director of IT) is really unhappy with the tone Mitch took, especially the "WE GOT HIM"
Two, when I said "six figures"
[to replace the dongle and license the new version], I was mostly trying to scare Mitch, but holy poo poo...

Dammit it sounds like we're not gonna get a final conclusion if it basically depends on your boss' overheard gossip, but still, doesn't sound good for our buddy Mitch.

Do we know what Mitch's job actually is (for now)? Presumably some part of Infosec?

edit: I hope you don't mean the bears I think you mean, because if so I have to tell you I hate you

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Renegret posted:

My intro professor got arrested for hoarding dozens in cats in squalor that required a HAZMAT team to enter his house to get the cats out.

As far as I know, he still works there.

My college TA for a programming class in 99-00 got arrested by the FBI a couple years later and became infamous for the CAPITAL LETTERS defense.

He was a decent dude who let me skip everything because I clearly already knew what I was doing, but he forgot to tell the professor so I got docked half a letter grade by the professor for skipping class all the time despite there not being an attendance policy in the syllabus.

Fuckers.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

and became infamous for the CAPITAL LETTERS defense.

Sovereign citizen?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

sfwarlock posted:

Were you a Bear?

Naw, we didn't have fancy mascots

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The classes I remember taking that had written code were C, C++, C#, Java, and HTML, I'm sure others did too, though I'm not sure if the finals were written for any of them except HTML and Java were for sure written; it was all terrible.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My Greenbar classes were Pascal and FORTRAN printed off a VAX and AS/400 respectively. Assembly printout of source to regular printer. My C class was the only one that took floppy with source code.

Never ever used those languages again. Anything I do now is automation scripts using python.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Adobe connect still relies on flash and shockwave in 2020....

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
We have a full time Fortran programmer on staff :v:

Not a ticket, but still: Received a mail addressed to everyone, asking who ordered sand from a country in the middle east. The sand is stuck in customs. It's probably just a small packet, but still amuses me :haw:

This job has broken my sense of humour, I think…

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they'd sold sand TO a middle eastern country maybe it was some kind of flex by someone in the sales department for a job interview

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Data Graham posted:

If they'd sold sand TO a middle eastern country maybe it was some kind of flex by someone in the sales department for a job interview

Saudi Arabia buys both sand and camels from Australia on the regular

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Memento posted:

Saudi Arabia buys both sand and camels from Australia on the regular

Almost called bullshit, googled it, and ... my God ... capitalism is a weird fuckin' mistress.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Not all sand 8s the same, but... camels breed, right?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Camels are also an invasive species in Australia from what I remember and trucking around the interior in swarms, so they're probably glad to be rid of them.

(I may be slightly mixing up their camel problem with their emu problem but I think they're both problems)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I mean australia did fight a war with emus... And lost.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DelphiAegis posted:

I mean australia did fight a war with emus... And lost.

Goddamnit, it was a negotiated peace!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

SlowBloke posted:

Adobe connect still relies on flash and shockwave in 2020....

Citrix has a module that requires Silverlight to work with. No sign of progress moving it to something sane.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

sfwarlock posted:

Sovereign citizen?

Not sure if he was, but I wouldn't rule it out. I think it was more just a weird desperation. He tried the "I only capitalize the first letter of my name, not all of them" defense as well as trying the "the plaintiffs didn't bring the accuser, the United States of America, to court" gambit.

They did not work. He pled out eventually.

I looked him up and apparently he died a few years back from health issues.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Weedle posted:

This was the practice in my programming class in 1987. How the hell did things not change in 20 years??

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Jorath posted:

This was the practice in my programming class in 1987. How the hell did things not change in 20 years??

People like getting their dicks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jorath posted:

Tenure.