Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Ragnar34 posted:

I've put off reading this because I knew I'd hate having to wait for new pages, but now I have and it's excellent. I'm also caught up. gently caress. :v:

Sleepless Domain is very much a post-Madoka magical girl story, written by someone who understands how and why Madoka worked. And I really like the art, personally. It's expressive!

It's also less of a bummer than Madoka, which was a downer literally at all times. SD is overall pretty chill, sometimes funny in a gentle and goodhearted way, and usually melancholy at worst. Usually. Also: lots of good representation. And while this is a depressingly low bar, it's nice to see a magical girl story where the characters are all consistently and aggressively not sexualized in a genre that's had that problem quite a lot.

Oh yeah, when I called the art somewhat weird it was definitely a compliment. Expressive faces, lots of great character designs (including the monsters), and the city always has a different look at night. And yeah, it's written by a person who appreciated Madoka and has put a lot of thought into what was good about it and what wasn't.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, any bets that Kat is somehow responsible for the seed Bismuth?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Did you have to make them so creepy looking?"

"LOOK I DUNNO OKAY"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"I've got it! You! DON'T! E X I S T !"

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Listen Anja. "Kat builds a time machine in the future" should not be this difficult a concept.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I will be disappointed if the ability to time travel is anything but incidental to whichever project she was working on.

Related: I think there's a non-zero chance her flying machine had some time shenanigans going on in its creation.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Young lady, we don't violate the space time continuum in this household!!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Oh yeah, when I called the art somewhat weird it was definitely a compliment. Expressive faces, lots of great character designs (including the monsters), and the city always has a different look at night. And yeah, it's written by a person who appreciated Madoka and has put a lot of thought into what was good about it and what wasn't.

I'll shut up now about this irrelevant comic, but we talked about the art and I feel the need to post an example

I just noticed Cassidy cuts herself in half at the waist to activate her power. It's understated, but uncanny and offputting in an effective way.

Anyway! Kat sent a metal bird through time. hosed up if you ask me. And it's starting to look like she had a hand in her own origin story, and she's finding out at the same time we are, so I guess we're approaching the point where she has to acknowledge her own apotheosis. I doubt this'll be the straw that breaks the camel's back, but this camel is definitely overloaded.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Inglonias posted:

Listen Anja. "Kat builds a time machine in the future" should not be this difficult a concept.

Hm? She seems to be on board with time travel surprisingly quickly. She jumped straight into finding additional things in her past that must have been caused by time travel!

Whatever she's thinking about in that bottom row, I bet she's about to drop some further relevant knowledge, not doubt.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Inglonias posted:

she's not puzzling with that, she's grappling with the ontological paradox that the tic tocs represent

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The tiktoks were actually created by China to spy on the Court, I read that in the newspapers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cat Mattress posted:

The tiktoks were actually created by China to spy on the Court, I read that in the newspapers.

Many folks are saying this, it's not good folks, very unfair.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like we all said kat, it's just time travel, no big deal

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah Kat, you idiot, you buffoon, geez

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ahahahahaha I love the Gunnerkrigg Court.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
loving hell we got trolled

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Inglonias posted:

Narrator: it wasn't

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I really like this. I suppose it shouldn't be this surprising!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Anja's general positivity is very nice. :)

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Oh. Well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lmao Anja is about to flush the past like three weeks of this thread down the sink hell yeah dude

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Well! I suppose that explains Jones, then.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Hempuli posted:

Anja's general positivity is very nice. :)

So proud her baby did such great things with ugly bird robots! :) :) :)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:five:

This was a hell of a comic to wake up to. "Oh, time travel is no big deal."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
She's right, just strap a flux capacitor to a car and off you go!

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Drunk Canuck posted:

Young lady, we don't violate the space time continuum in this household!!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drunk Canuck posted:

Young lady, we don't get all whiny about violating the space time continuum in this household!!

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Now to find out if the followup is "The computer has that function, in fact" or "Now, antigravity? That's a tough one."

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

chester house time travels all day long

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
We are all time travelling right now.

One second into the future, every second. Easy peasy.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

life_source posted:

We are all time travelling right now.

One second into the future, every second. Easy peasy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
time for the Dolans' Paradox Quinceanera :toot:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Once again showing the adults are still cool

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This is reminding me how annoyed I was immediately after The Torn Sea, that we had no indication whether any adult was ever told that a bunch of robots essentially kidnapped an entire class during a presumably school-approved trip. I would have loved to see the reaction from Anja, Donny, Jones, or Eglamore... or to know why the kids decided not to say anything.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 8, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Getting kidnapped by outworldly forces is part of the Court's curriculum.

They got a B+

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Lindsey probably told the parents because she is a responsible chaperone and the end result was the robot king taking away the ship's CPU so everything was resolved.

Anja & Donny were probably reminiscing about their years of robot takeovers (for love) and putdowns

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Anja hollers into the kitchen, "Don, our little girl has traveled in time!"

Donny yells back, "I told you she'd do it before she turned 18, you owe me £50!"

"It's time travel, love. It's all relative!"

"Don't try to weasel your way out of it with semantics, pay up."

Edit: I really like that Anja's response is, "Yay, my awesome daughter did a time travel!" and not, "If time was an egg, then that egg is hosed" like is most often seen in time travel stories.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

"Sure! Its super easy! Want another Annie? See, look"