Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

signalnoise posted:

My time playing SWG was I started it up and got a free speeder bike and picked up my first quest to go off into the distance and do something there, so I got on my free speeder and hit autorun facing the target, saw it would take like 4 minutes to get there so I started watching TV, then immediately uninstalled because I realized I could just be watching TV instead of babysitting a progress bar.

From what I understand OG Star Wars Galaxies was not so much a game you played as devoted yourself to. That came from MMOs kinda being anti-casual at the time as well as people who just genuinely enjoyed being a lowly shopkeep on Tatooine or whatever blue collar Star Wars job and that was most of their day on SG:G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'm still not sure that video games are the best way to tell a story. There has to be a better way to draw the player in than cutscene, kill poo poo, cutscene, solve a puzzle, ad nauseam. A good story requires pacing, something that every single game can break very easily.

I enjoy playing lots of different games, but there's always been a disconnect between the story and my actions. It's very jarring if I stop and think about it.

e: Titanfall 2 somehow accomplishes this.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 7, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm still not sure that video games are the best way to tell a story. There has to be a better way to draw the player in than cutscene, kill poo poo, cutscene, solve a puzzle, ad nauseam. A good story requires pacing, something that every single game can break very easily.

I enjoy playing lots of different games, but there's always been a disconnect between the story and my actions. It's very jarring if I stop and think about it.

Games are experiences. It’s definitely possible to tell a story in a game. You just have to make sure you make the player experience it instead of just watching it.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I mean I say that but I love the interactive media experience provided by the Metal Gear Solid series.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hector Delgado posted:

I gave up on Conan Exiles on ps4 once I found out the dong slider was disabled on consoles. 0/10 would not recommend.
.01 hours playtime.

Lol, that was supposed to be free this week on the Epic game store. For some reason Funcom pulled out of the deal at the last minute so now the game is gone from the store. Classic example of two moron companies faffing about.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Popoto posted:

I mean I say that but I love the interactive media experience provided by the Metal Gear Solid series.

I do too and when I was a kid I was not at all bothered by the lengthy cutscenes or political science on offer

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

It's weird how vividly Titanfall 2 does, and I think as mentioned previously in the thread, it's because basically every level introduces a new plot element and also a new gameplay element, and only does this for as many plot elements it needs to, NOT how many gameplay elements it thinks it should need.

I think people rave about Bioshock because it manages to tie gameplay elements that are stupid to plot in a way that's almost convincing. I'm not totally sure that addressing the issue in a meta-commentary is really the best way though. One Shot does something similar (taken to an extreme) and I thought that was pretty good, but even in that the restrictions of the medium disrupt the experience of the story, even with the fact lampshaded as part of the plot.

I think brevity is important because it means you don't have time to become so accustomed to the controls / graphics / game conventions that you master them, or get annoyed by them, or, even really 'predict' them. Like, if you know a cutscene is coming, or a load screen, you're immediately taken out of the story. That load screen isn't part of the plot, and there 'BEING' a cutscene with control wrestled away isn't part of the plot (usually). I think once you come to predict these elements, you basically can't be in a "willing suspension of disbelief" anymore. I also think that's fine, I don't think games have to aim for such lofty heights, but I think often the ones that do fail because they strive to be a sweeping epic, when they're better served as poignant haikus.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

From what I understand OG Star Wars Galaxies was not so much a game you played as devoted yourself to. That came from MMOs kinda being anti-casual at the time as well as people who just genuinely enjoyed being a lowly shopkeep on Tatooine or whatever blue collar Star Wars job and that was most of their day on SG:G.

It's kind of a very specific sort of MMO which is more like multiplayer Harvest Moon or whatnot where pretty much every NPC role has to be done by players with the idea to create basically their own community and economy. This can work if done right, and does mean there's lots of room for different playstyles as long as you find a useful niche, though it also means it ended up basically a Star Wars themed chat room.

Problem is SOE tried to rework it into a standard kill-ten-womp-rats MMO where everyone could be a Jedi and they pissed off everyone who liked the game as it was while completely failing to attract anywhere near enough of the new players they hoped to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Popoto posted:

Metal Gear I feel works because the games are also self-aware about being video games to the point of breaking the fourth wall, and also having a lot of silly jokes and weird poo poo presented with a straight face. The game's not trying to trick you into listening to the author's high school essays and bad fanfiction before begrudgingly letting you get back to shooting people. (Well, not as begrudgingly as some 'story-based' games anyway)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
themepark mmos are garbo, i wish i had played swg back in the day i would have probably loved to be a long haul truck driver or whatever

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

wow, or at least early wow, was fun as hell

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

barkbell posted:

themepark mmos are garbo, i wish i had played swg back in the day i would have probably loved to be a long haul truck driver or whatever

Long haul cantina dancer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fun MMOs almost entirely happen by accident, games designed to be either theme parks OR "lol gently caress theme parks this is going to be 100% open pvp all the time lol" kinds of games are awful

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I like oldschool Runescape, mostly for nostalgia, but a little bit because it's not really an MMORPG but more an MMPCAG, massively multiplayer point & click adventure game.

You do everything just by clicking, there are similar commands for items (examine, use with), and you usually complete quests by finding specific objects in the world and using them on NPCs or other objects.

Not to mention the low-effort British humor embedded in so much of the game.

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion but gently caress it

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Shibawanko posted:

wow, or at least early wow, was fun as hell

I maintain that wow up to at least the burning crusade or lich king, was the best game of all time and it’s not even close. A huge part of that was the user base being relatively unjaded and strong on community. It felt like a grand experiment that everyone loved and cherished. The challenges were truly difficult and required a village in a way that no other game has.

Over time the base became absurdly jaded to the point where no one ever seems happy. It’s inevitable, no matter how good a game is you simply can’t make it your life for this long. It was great while it lasted.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I feel the same way about EQ through velious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Problem is MMOs tend to get exponentially more players the more casual-friendly they are, while the most hardcore become the miserable hypercompetitive no-lifers who constantly whine for new content because they've steamrolled everything else within days of it releasing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

!Klams posted:

Speaking of low hanging fruit that makes billions, I brought it up years ago, but, why isn't there a Harry Potter MMORPG? It designs itself, and makes billions day one? It wouldn't even have to be good, AT ALL. Like Olivander's alone would make a million, day one, with each wand costing 50 pence / cents each. (Although obviously you have to convert mugglebux into Enchanted Ingots to spend in game to obfuscate how much things are worth on a psychological level). Maybe it's not even an MMO, maybe it's just literally ANY kind of game (gently caress it, broomstick racing game? Bomberman clone replacing bombs with 'magic', Tetris but you're dropping potion ingredients?) that has microtransactions.

This exists but it's mobile garbage, not an MMO. All of the money and probably <1% of the development effort.

ChazTurbo posted:

People who get hyped up over a game when all that's been shown is cgi trailers give me the grumpy dumpies. Especially when it's over the course of a few years.

Speaking of that, has there been any news on Beyond Good and Evil 2 since that gently caress-monkey trailer years ago? It's crazy how vaporware that thing is but last I heard Ubisoft is still insisting it's real.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 7, 2020

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

that bitch Aeris had it coming

Well that aged like fine wine.

Thief1 > Thief2

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

!Klams posted:

Speaking of low hanging fruit that makes billions, I brought it up years ago, but, why isn't there a Harry Potter MMORPG? It designs itself, and makes billions day one? It wouldn't even have to be good, AT ALL. Like Olivander's alone would make a million, day one, with each wand costing 50 pence / cents each. (Although obviously you have to convert mugglebux into Enchanted Ingots to spend in game to obfuscate how much things are worth on a psychological level). Maybe it's not even an MMO, maybe it's just literally ANY kind of game (gently caress it, broomstick racing game? Bomberman clone replacing bombs with 'magic', Tetris but you're dropping potion ingredients?) that has microtransactions.

man i have bad news about harry potter right now

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

RipVTide posted:

Well that aged like fine wine.

:captainpop:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

food court bailiff posted:

man i have bad news about harry potter right now

no moral welfare but my welfare

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

it doesnt help that your robot buddy is super endearing. also that mission with the time travel stuff is super creative and a blast to play.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

Speaking of that, has there been any news on Beyond Good and Evil 2 since that gently caress-monkey trailer years ago? It's crazy how vaporware that thing is but last I heard Ubisoft is still insisting it's real.

That thing is probably hosed. At some point some studio started making a proper sequel. That gave us the trailer with Jade and Peyj. At some other point another studio started making a No Man's Sky ripoff and that's the trailer you steal in Watchdogs 2.
Then later on some genius at Ubi decided to merge the two games and so we have gently caress-Monkey: The Game. It's probably not happening.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Star War: Fallen Order is hot garbage. It's basically bland Uncharted gameplay with a Star Wars palette swap. I mean, it looks loving incredible sure, but everything else about it is just tired gameplay and story tropes. I uninstalled it not long after the tutorial because I recently played the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot and, as far as I could tell, they're essentially the same game. One just has nicer graphics.

Just as an aside, and I'm not a Star Wars fan boy, I promise, but I'm constantly seeing a potential setting for a cool cyberpunk-esque story about class struggles with samurai space wizards and evil space nazis, but whoever is in charge just keeps loving it up. Someone, somewhere, has to be able to do something cool with this IP eventually.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
bloodstained was o.k. it has all the things you want out of a metroidvania: great tunes, a huge and interesting castle to explore, the ability to become insanely brokenly overpowered, castlevania monsters with the serial numbers filed off, etc.

it has the telltale marks of a large studio with a smaller budget than the director is used to, such as butt ugly 3D models doing talking heads in front of the game world. the cutscenes are poorly timed, move either too quickly or too slowly, and the principles of cinematography (lol) are non existent. they really should've stuck with sprite work.

the game is bad at communicating to the player where they should go next. it does give you hints on occasion, but they're one-offs and the NPCs will never remind you that they mentioned you should go to a specific part of the castle once you've solved a puzzle. they told you this hint five hours ago

but i think the worst part was the unintuitive progression design. it's normal right up until you reach the fake final boss. after that, the game kind of cuts you loose. i don't mind exploring, but you find the first optional boss and you'll feel pretty good that you figured out the mysterious puzzle attached to the ability you get (even if you never use it again, and now i see what all the reviews were talking about when the game came out when they said you get a lot of puzzle solving powers that you only ever use one time). but what happens after that, should never happen in a metroidvania. you need to figure out a way to move through water, which you normally just float above. and at this point you're probably thinking, okay this is where i find the scylla boss and get the holy snorkel to breathe under water right? WRONG. the ability is a 1% rare drop from a common aquatic enemy, which is hard enough to engage at all as it is because you're stuck on the surface

iga... what the gently caress

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Lodin posted:

That thing is probably hosed. At some point some studio started making a proper sequel. That gave us the trailer with Jade and Peyj. At some other point another studio started making a No Man's Sky ripoff and that's the trailer you steal in Watchdogs 2.
Then later on some genius at Ubi decided to merge the two games and so we have gently caress-Monkey: The Game. It's probably not happening.

Like wasn't Joseph Gordon Levitt trying to crowdsource BG&E 2?

I was vaguely optimistic about it too because Project CARS did the same thing and that worked out well but yeah maybe something with as focused a scope as 'normal racing game featuring real cars and realistic physics on realistic race tracks' lends itself better to crowdsourcing than 'gently caress we don't even know what the game's about, how about you build us whatever and we'll see if we can cram it in somewhere?'.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Taima posted:

I maintain that wow up to at least the burning crusade or lich king, was the best game of all time and it’s not even close. A huge part of that was the user base being relatively unjaded and strong on community. It felt like a grand experiment that everyone loved and cherished. The challenges were truly difficult and required a village in a way that no other game has.

Over time the base became absurdly jaded to the point where no one ever seems happy. It’s inevitable, no matter how good a game is you simply can’t make it your life for this long. It was great while it lasted.

That's rose-tinted glasses, I stopped playing sometime during burning crusade and the community has always been jaded and unhappy that's the whole point of the MMO experience

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think it helps very much that Beyond Good and Evil was an extremely cult game and people who have gone on to play it later to see what the hype is about find a very messy, disjointed game. It has never made any sense to make a sequel of it.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

bloodstained was o.k.
iga... what the gently caress

maybe this is me proving I'm dumb, but I put it down after I had to look up that I had to visit a library vampire to keep playing and it just made me mad. which is pretty retro but c'mon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

oh dope posted:

Star War: Fallen Order is hot garbage. It's basically bland Uncharted gameplay with a Star Wars palette swap. I mean, it looks loving incredible sure, but everything else about it is just tired gameplay and story tropes. I uninstalled it not long after the tutorial because I recently played the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot and, as far as I could tell, they're essentially the same game. One just has nicer graphics.

Just as an aside, and I'm not a Star Wars fan boy, I promise, but I'm constantly seeing a potential setting for a cool cyberpunk-esque story about class struggles with samurai space wizards and evil space nazis, but whoever is in charge just keeps loving it up. Someone, somewhere, has to be able to do something cool with this IP eventually.

Pretty sure it already happened and was called KOTOR2

The best days of star wars games are in the past, not the future

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure it already happened and was called KOTOR2

The best days of star wars games are in the past, not the future

Once they hit public domain we might get a fun one again, like a low budget point and click adventure

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Nothing will ever enter the public domain ever again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sillybones posted:

Stuff just entered this year! We actually added stuff! We'll probably mysteriously stop when we hit stuff that should enter public domain in 1928 but that'll still cover the last of the Doyle estate.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oh dope posted:

star wars is so huge and sprawling you can basically tell any sci-fi story within it. if you want some kind of cyberpunk dystopia just do a story about the coruscant underworld during the empire. but really you could just do a generic setting and get just as much out of it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sillybones posted:

international copyright is going to collapse along side the american empire. once that happens you are going to see some interesting poo poo being produced!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i loved bloodstained, i dont even think its that ugly, the style grows on you and you can make miriam ditch her ugly rear end haircut in favor of straight black halfway through

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bloodstained is fantastic, i love they built in a randomizer mode. even in the era of a million metriodvanias it stands out as one of the best

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really liked Bloodstained but some of that games design is bafflingly obtuse and that's partly why I havn't went back and finished it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

maybe this is me proving I'm dumb, but I put it down after I had to look up that I had to visit a library vampire to keep playing and it just made me mad. which is pretty retro but c'mon.

This was so stupid, it's what finally made me look up a guide. I have no idea how you're supposed to figure this out other than going back and talking to every NPC every time you beat a boss. Maybe OD mentions something about photos before, idk, but it seems like the way most people are going to interact with him is to find him, check out the luck boosting book, and then never come back.

The game also has a ton of annoying enemies that crawl along the ground and can't be hit by half the weapons in the game even when you're doing a crouch attack. I stuck with greatsword type weapons for pretty much the entire game just to deal with this poo poo since they have a big arcing sweep that's great for smashing monkeys or whatever.

Barudak posted:

I don't think it helps very much that Beyond Good and Evil was an extremely cult game and people who have gone on to play it later to see what the hype is about find a very messy, disjointed game. It has never made any sense to make a sequel of it.

Yeah, I played it a few years after release and though is was fine if unpolished but kind of unremarkable gameplay-wise. The fact that it had a strong female protagonist who wasn't an eyerolly Strong Female Protagonist probably helped.