Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I decided to pick up Doom 1 and 2 on sale and they have the Bethesda thing, which I have an account for but I guess the password is wrong and it's not sending the change password email. Oh well, I'll have to forgo whatever wonders awaited me from an online sign-in to a game from 1993.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Apparently Crosscode has some performance problems on the Switch. I am hoping a patch alleviates it because I really want to get it on the Switch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I decided to pick up Doom 1 and 2 on sale and they have the Bethesda thing, which I have an account for but I guess the password is wrong and it's not sending the change password email. Oh well, I'll have to forgo whatever wonders awaited me from an online sign-in to a game from 1993.
Signing in lets you download a curated set of fan-made map sets. They're pretty drat good!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

American McGay posted:

Everyone hates 3 because of the hosed up freak diaper baby character but it's largely the same as 2 with worse level design.

I think it was AVGN that summarized it well but I can't seem to find the video. In DKC 1 and 2, the levels are designed to have this sort of mechanical flow to them. The higher your skill, the more pleasing it is to play and the more visually impressive it is to watch. In DKC3, the levels are full of pauses in the action where you have to stop and wait or backtrack. And yes, worse music. I still don't think it's a bad game though.

Also yeah, Tropical Freeze might possibly be the best 2D platformer ever made.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Not an empty quote. I paid launch price for those stupid mana games because I like them.

This is exactly why they aren't on Nintendo Switch Online

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

You can download Japanese NSO if you make a Japanese account and have a subscription in the US/EU. I did it because they have Joy Mecha Fight on there.

SMT1 has an official translation on that one iOS release, I dunno why they won't just use that and put it on the overseas service.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Finally, megaten on the switch

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

fit em all up in there posted:

Should I pick up Axiom Verge ? I’m not a fan of backtracking but was wondering how much of it is in the game.

it's been a while but iirc it is backtrackapalooza all day everyday

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Ah poo poo I finished the first two circuits in Pod Racing and now I'm remembering that I never actually finished this as a kid cause the tracks on the galactic and invitational levels are hard as poo poo.

These are vague childhood memories, but I recall Teemto Pagalies being a real beast for getting through the Galactic and Invitational levels once you upgrade the engines a bit.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ys Origin getting a Switch release. I just started the game on PC and it's pretty fun.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1280505098905563137?s=20

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Origins is the best Ys but DotEMU ports of it have been notably rough, I don't know if they ever fixed the Vita version to be playable.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I enjoyed Ys Origin I think more than Ys 8. But they do feel like two different games with what they kind of emphasize.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DKC finally being on Switch is dope.

Bring on 2+3

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What Ys games does origin entail, or is it different than the numbered entries?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I finished podracing yesterday, can’t believe you have to actually use the air brakes on some of the harder levels, the audacity

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It entails... Ys Origin, the prequel game that was released in Japan in 2006, and worldwide in 2012.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Stelio Kontos posted:

I’m guessing Clubhouse games didn’t sell amazingly? I hop on nightly and it’s pretty rare to get 4/4 people for the more popular card games (blackjack, holdem). I never have a problem finding someone to go 10 rounds of Hanafuda with though so that’s cool.

I think it’s less that it didn’t sell well and more that a lot of the online play implementations of many games (blackjack and poker especially, but also things like mahjong) are severely wanting.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Anyone bought Catherine yet? Is it a good port? I've not played it cause I was waiting for the switch version, but want to make sure it doesnt play like garbage.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I bought it but it’s on the end of a 60ish game backlog

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Anyone bought Catherine yet? Is it a good port? I've not played it cause I was waiting for the switch version, but want to make sure it doesnt play like garbage.

I bought Catherine, seems to be a pretty solid port so far. I'm at the Quadrangle stages and there's been no slowdown outside of some of the technique sharing. For the actual puzzle bits and bar bits, it plays well!

On another note, man the new Rin stuff is pretty prominent. It almost seems like Rin is more a main character than either of the Catherine's. And with the additional Rin stuff, Katherine has faded much more into the background.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

yellowyams posted:

wasn't the gba one when they first stopped caring about unique allies and npcs and the settings got kind of sterilized or is that the joke

I think he means the Mario & Luigi series, which retained a lot the RPG elements from Paper Mario 1&2. Still doesn't quite hit that Paper Mario 2 height tho.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It is a prequel to the numbered entries. You basically go up different floors to a tower and each floor has different themes. There are at least 2 characters to play as with a different story for each and different method of play. It's a great game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As long as I can play as the incredibly well fleshed out and internationally beloved character Adol Christin

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

As long as I can play as the incredibly well fleshed out and internationally beloved character Adol Christin

Well, you can't. Sorry.

Also for some reason I was remembering it having 3d models, but it actually uses sprites.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't mind using a controller and not having mods, and haven't ever played the special edition (I have it on Steam, but my pc has trouble running it)... All that in mind, how's Skyrim on Switch? I don't care if you don't like the game, I do, for all of its faults.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Apparently Crosscode has some performance problems on the Switch. I am hoping a patch alleviates it because I really want to get it on the Switch.

The publisher mentioned a patch in the works to resolve the framerate issues and (maybe?) the menu slowdown issues, which are the two big things I've heard of so far. So that's promising!

https://twitter.com/Deck13Spotlight/status/1280068855071735811

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

blackguy32 posted:

Well, you can't. Sorry.

Also for some reason I was remembering it having 3d models, but it actually uses sprites.

Legitimately shocked. I thought he was the protagonist of every game like Link

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't mind using a controller and not having mods, and haven't ever played the special edition (I have it on Steam, but my pc has trouble running it)... All that in mind, how's Skyrim on Switch? I don't care if you don't like the game, I do, for all of its faults.

It’s pretty alright. I’ve got over 150 hours into it and I’ve never had any issues.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I haven't played much Ys myself, but I think Origin is the one exception. It's set before Adol was even born, afaik. Also there are other Ys games where there are playable characters besides Adol, iirc.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

All of them except Origins, Strategy and the insanely short lived Ys MMO.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

roomtwofifteen posted:

The publisher mentioned a patch in the works to resolve the framerate issues and (maybe?) the menu slowdown issues, which are the two big things I've heard of so far. So that's promising!

https://twitter.com/Deck13Spotlight/status/1280068855071735811

Yeah, I read about it on the Steam forums since apparently the forums on their website is down. I think I am going to go for the Switch version

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Woah Cross Code looks great, I've never heard of this game for some reason? Might be the super generic name.

Aaaand I just looked it up and it's a game from 2015 what

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Woah Cross Code looks great, I've never heard of this game for some reason? Might be the super generic name.

Aaaand I just looked it up and it's a game from 2015 what

It was in EA for a long time, it was only feature complete in uhhh... 2018? 2019?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
A Deadly Premonition 2 review got released on IGN. A 5/10 for technical issues, poor combat and mediocre overall.

I'm still on for the ride, but that is rough to hear...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PowerBeard posted:

A Deadly Premonition 2 review got released on IGN. A 5/10 for technical issues, poor combat and mediocre overall.

The review spread is massive, going from 9s to 1s so it's basically looking like exactly what people want a Deadly Premonition game to be.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

PowerBeard posted:

I mean that sounds like a Deadly Premonition game to me. People who want a sequel WANT that.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

PowerBeard posted:

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1280850881416695809?s=19

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So it's more than twice as good as the first one?? Sign me the gently caress up!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can't wait to see DigitalFoundry's review of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Isn't the jank half the appeal?