Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Rutibex posted:

Bloodstained is fantastic, i love they built in a randomizer mode. even in the era of a million metriodvanias it stands out as one of the best

Does it randomize the actual castle layout or just the item locations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sid Vicious posted:

Does it randomize the actual castle layout or just the item locations?

item randomzer only. but its a metriodvania, so the order you get the movement items will determine the route you take through the caste. it would be nice if they went full Rogue Legacy but that would be a heck of a lot of work :v:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Rutibex posted:

item randomzer only. but its a metriodvania, so the order you get the movement items will determine the route you take through the caste. it would be nice if they went full Rogue Legacy but that would be a heck of a lot of work :v:

Yeah and Rogue Legacy is loving rough lol when Dead Cells came out I don't think I ever looked at it again

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I finished kotor 1 and 2.. they were ok.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I wanted to like Bloodstained, but it just felt amazingly bland. Everything was fine, but the music didn't have the eclectic charm of SoTN, and none of the bosses or areas were memorable. The badass samurai was also lame, and felt like a self insert or something. And the backer portraits all over the place were ugly.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I enjoyed rogue legacy much more than dead cells (40 odd hours compared to 2)

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I enjoyed rogue legacy much more than dead cells (40 odd hours compared to 2)

Mine is probably also 40 or so in rogue legacy and like 300 hours in dead cells lmao and guess what I've only beaten the first boss

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
300 hours is an insane amount of hours for dead cells holy poo poo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

I wanted to like Bloodstained, but it just felt amazingly bland. Everything was fine, but the music didn't have the eclectic charm of SoTN, and none of the bosses or areas were memorable. The badass samurai was also lame, and felt like a self insert or something. And the backer portraits all over the place were ugly.

The samurai sucks so much. I like how even after you beat his powered up boss fight your character says "you were clearly holding back and could have beaten me easily if you wanted" and he says "ya i know lol".

The bosses in Bloodstained just aren't very good. There are a ton of iconic bosses from Castlevania I can remember like Legion and Death despite not playing a Castlevania for the better part of a decade, meanwhile with 12 hours played in Bloodstained over the last week or so I can barely remember any of the bosses from the first 9.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

JollyBoyJohn posted:

300 hours is an insane amount of hours for dead cells holy poo poo

I really like it lol it replaces Isaac for my go to before work game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nice Van My Man posted:

i got Bloodstained on the Switch when it went on sale. but i mostly got the switch for metriodvanias exclusively so it was an easy purchase. its not the best one on there. in my opinion Axiom Verge and Hollow Knight are better in both style and gameplay. they are also cheaper which is nice :v:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sid Vicious posted:

I really like it lol it replaces Isaac for my go to before work game

Funny you should say that isaac is my most played non multiplayer with like 220 odd hours. Maybe i should give dead cells another shot

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The KOTOR games kind of work as examples of how "gameplay" can mean two different things. The mechanics of it are clunky, the combat (and the choices you can make around it) are ok at best, and it's still a fond memory for having a better sense of place and universe and story than some of the movies.

Though of course it's been years since I played either one.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Computer viking posted:

The mechanics of it are clunky, the combat (and the choices you can make around it) are ok at best

Yeah it's literally a pseudo real-time DnD game. I didn't play Kotor until I was already a huge nerd and when making a character I was like "Ability modifiers? Feats? Damage is dice based? Holy poo poo this is just DnD." which really explains the clunk.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's basically 3E D&D via NWN under the hood, which is quirky/janky AF, but luckily the story is strong enough that no one had to settle for digging into the mechanics.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its actually based on star wars D20. its a mutation of D&D but it is its own thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Roleplaying_Game_(Wizards_of_the_Coast)

quote:

The number of character classes have been reduced to five — Jedi, Noble, Scoundrel, Scout and Soldier. Each class progresses along "character trees" similar to the d20 Modern system where characters are built with talents and feats. Jedi for instance, can follow talent paths such as Jedi Guardian, Jedi Consular, plus the new Jedi Sentinel and Lightsaber Combat talent trees. This allows for greater customization and more variety amongst characters of the same class. Prestige Classes are still available, but they each also have one or more talent trees.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Dang, should have had a video game where I could roleplay as a Star Wars Noble.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Do you think the servants working at a Star Wars Noble's countryside chateau are droids or biologicals?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rutibex posted:

its actually based on star wars D20. its a mutation of D&D but it is its own thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Roleplaying_Game_(Wizards_of_the_Coast)

"It's own thing" is overstating it. The original Star Wars d20 is just d20 Modern with tiny tweaks, which is just bog-standard 3E with tiny tweaks. The thing you are quoting from is the Saga edition update, which departs further from actual 3E such that it resembles 4E, but was not used in the KOTOR games, because it came out afterward in '07.

Suffice it to say that d20 Modern was not even popular or well-liked by most players at the time even when cultish devotion to 3E continues today.

Meanwhile NWN was 3E adapted for video games, so while it had some interesting problems of its own it was tweaked for playing as a video game. That was kinda the opposite of KOTOR as everyone who put 800,000 hours into NWN like me did so mostly because that was the best way to play D&D on the internet, but the actual single player content was terrible.

:science:

Chomp8645 posted:

Do you think the servants working at a Star Wars Noble's countryside chateau are droids or biologicals?

Picard returned to the Star Wars universe complete with Romulan manservants, so gotta say biological slaves in this case as droids are considered more useful than people.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jabba is probably the preeminent Star Wars noble so I'm going to second biological.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Picard returned to the Star Wars universe complete with Romulan manservants, so gotta say biological slaves in this case as droids are considered more useful than people.

Great news. Now my fan fiction "The Lusty Calamarian Maid" will be lore friendly!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Great news. Now my fan fiction "The Lusty Calamarian Maid" will be lore friendly!

Please post to Memory Delta when you are done

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

This was so stupid, it's what finally made me look up a guide. I have no idea how you're supposed to figure this out other than going back and talking to every NPC every time you beat a boss. Maybe OD mentions something about photos before, idk, but it seems like the way most people are going to interact with him is to find him, check out the luck boosting book, and then never come back.

yeah, no idea. I play everything in fits and spurts so I can't remember poo poo like half the time anyway. did not care for it though.

but on that note, I have this weird hangup where I like to play everything "organically" and I blame the game if I can't figure something out, because I'm so terribly smart. it is a personal problem.

I think it's been mentioned but I don't think anyone should need a guide to get through a game. not everything, but completion, yes. if you do, the game is lacking somewhere in modern design principles. or something. I think FFIX killed the idea of strategy guides or look ups for me and I've never looked back. (I also don't finish a lot of games anymore, so.)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Suffice it to say that d20 Modern was not even popular or well-liked by most players

i like it :(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"It's own thing" is overstating it. The original Star Wars d20 is just d20 Modern with tiny tweaks, which is just bog-standard 3E with tiny tweaks. The thing you are quoting from is the Saga edition update, which departs further from actual 3E such that it resembles 4E, but was not used in the KOTOR games, because it came out afterward in '07.

Suffice it to say that d20 Modern was not even popular or well-liked by most players at the time even when cultish devotion to 3E continues today.

Meanwhile NWN was 3E adapted for video games, so while it had some interesting problems of its own it was tweaked for playing as a video game. That was kinda the opposite of KOTOR as everyone who put 800,000 hours into NWN like me did so mostly because that was the best way to play D&D on the internet, but the actual single player content was terrible.

:science:

There were some really good fan-made campaigns for NWN and honestly I can’t think of any game since that’s had such a wealth of community content.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Really don't know what the fuss over Tomb Raider is for. Just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and... it's ok. Fine, even. But it's not great. I didn't care about the characters, or the story, or getting all the upgrades. As stories go it felt like filler. Lara didn't develop at all as a character, remaining the same death machine she was by the end of the first game. At least the 2013 game had some token acknowledgment that killing people might bother you, even if Lara gets over it very quickly.

Oh, and I was puzzled in the Baba Yaga DLC when she asks another character if they really believe in witches in a dismissive way. Her whole deal now is she's out to prove her father wasn't crazy after her encounter in the first game with a loving witch. "It was a witch" would have been a more believable explanation than "It was a pensioner who's been building elaborate traps for the last forty years and using them with hallucinogenics to kill anyone who comes near her." I did enjoy being asked "Will she be alright?" after the final boss fight, though. Lara's saying "I don't know," and I'm thinking "Probably not, I just blew her up six times."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

christmas boots posted:

There were some really good fan-made campaigns for NWN and honestly I can’t think of any game since that’s had such a wealth of community content.

Yeah I would generally recommend people go try the Steam version if they are into old school stuff, as it restores lost server functionality, resolves bugs from decades ago, and people are still playing it a lot. The thing to know about it is that it's so modular that the person(s) running the server can tweak pretty much any mechanic in the game with few restrictions so if you don't like one server's mechanics/setup, there's a hundred more complete games-within-a-game to choose from. Also it's old school so unless the server has a de-leveler (seriously, some servers have everything you did and didn't think of) if you gently caress up a level-up, you're re-rolling.

People have complained that it's not really a remaster but that's so not the point. The point is you can get the Community Expansion Pack on Steam Workshop now, and so on.

I'm sure there's perfectly good SP campaigns too but that was never my jam.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sunswipe posted:

Really don't know what the fuss over Tomb Raider is for. Just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and... it's ok. Fine, even. But it's not great. I didn't care about the characters, or the story, or getting all the upgrades. As stories go it felt like filler. Lara didn't develop at all as a character, remaining the same death machine she was by the end of the first game. At least the 2013 game had some token acknowledgment that killing people might bother you, even if Lara gets over it very quickly.

Yeah I tried it out on PS+ and its fine, its very cinematic and grand and trying to be a constant adrenaline rush and I just don't want that from a videogame. I put it down about 2 hours in and haven't went back since. The original Tomb Raider games, and they are exceptionally clunky and dated and cumbersome, were brilliant because of how sparse and low-key and almost haunting the level could be.

I could see anyone who had never played a video-game before being blown away by the presentation of RotTR but it just seemed like I was stumbling through a list of videogame tropes. When you have to level up your skills in a loving Tomb Raider game you've just lost me.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

The first level of the first tomb Raider is so sparse and weird and alien with the big rocks you gotta climb right at the start and the first time a big cat killed me I had a heart attack lol it was out of nowhere

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sid Vicious posted:

The first level of the first tomb Raider is so sparse and weird and alien with the big rocks you gotta climb right at the start and the first time a big cat killed me I had a heart attack lol it was out of nowhere

Hate to be that guy but there's no big cats in Tomb Raider till the 5th level where you can amusingly jump onto a wait high embankment and shoot them free of danger, the very first level of Tomb Raider 2 does have a tiger right near the start (which spawns behind you when you are in a shallow pool of water)

That Bear in the first game gave me a hell of a fright mind you

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the best real time with pause RPG that there has ever been, by a large margin, was not isometric or western made

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hate to be that guy but there's no big cats in Tomb Raider till the 5th level where you can amusingly jump onto a wait high embankment and shoot them free of danger, the very first level of Tomb Raider 2 does have a tiger right near the start (which spawns behind you when you are in a shallow pool of water)

That Bear in the first game gave me a hell of a fright mind you

It very well might have been tomb Raider 2! It was on my my mom's friends husband's PC and he had a collection of all three you could choose from they had cool 3D covers on the screen

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Though I haven't played shadow of the tomb raider I did play the reboot and rise and I agree that it has a weird obsession with Lara and the mortality of what she does, both the tomb raiding itself and the mass murder, while having the gameplay entirely consisting of raiding and killing. People give uncharted poo poo but tomb raider I think is by far a worse offender in that regard.

And yeah rise took me like 2 months to beat because it just heaps tons of extraneous bullshit onto you to pad out the game and it wasn't actually much fun to play. Very pretty tho

site fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 8, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

drake calls the reporter woman “good girl” like a loving dog in the first thirty seconds of uncharted one and I profoundly hate him as a character past that point for that alone

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really liked Bloodstained but some of that games design is bafflingly obtuse and that's partly why I havn't went back and finished it

it's this, bloodstained is a Good Game but it has a lot of very obtuse progress gates that shouldn't be there, such as "talk to this unimportant NPC unprompted" and "grind a rare drop"

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

maybe this is me proving I'm dumb, but I put it down after I had to look up that I had to visit a library vampire to keep playing and it just made me mad. which is pretty retro but c'mon.

no i know exactly what you mean, i accidentally did this because i was running all over creation trying to find the train keycard. well it turns out if you talk to the librarian (again, after you've been through his area once) he has the item for you

Nice Van My Man posted:

And the backer portraits all over the place were ugly.

i loved destroying the backer portraits lol

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 8, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sid Vicious posted:

It very well might have been tomb Raider 2! It was on my my mom's friends husband's PC and he had a collection of all three you could choose from they had cool 3D covers on the screen

Haha yeah it just kinda threw me because your words fit so well to the first level of TR1 - sparse, weird, alien, etc. Don't get me wrong a lot of the levels in the first 3 games could be described that way though, the last few levels of TR1 are in some weird alien pyramid structure, The Floating Islands in TR2 which is just a mindfuck of floating pagodas and green islands and lava pits, there's a lot of those games that scream being slammed together last minute on a budget. Still, I played through most of the first 3 games with my dad and I'll always look back fondly on them although I can say with certainty I will never ever want to replay them.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I don't think I could ever play something with tank controls today they confused me enough then before we learned how to actually make games work good

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the first tomb raider is like my anti-game, it has all the elements of a game that i tend to not like: third person, tank controls, weird platforming, imprecise shooting, block puzzles and a generic plot

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

the first tomb raider is like my anti-game, it has all the elements of a game that i tend to not like: third person, tank controls, weird platforming, imprecise shooting, block puzzles and a generic plot

Single polygon boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Single polygon boobs.

Those boobs enthralled a generation of video game nerds, man, have some respect