Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My first thought about the stamp duty cut was that it's another little handout for BtL landlords.

[edit]
In 238 AD, the Goths cross the Danube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It would be interesting what would have happened had ITN not put LM out of business. Spiked online might never have happened.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

now that people are starting to trickle back to the pubs I'm going to plug the Neverspoons app. Pretty self explanatory, dont give tim martin money :cheers:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

kecske posted:

now that people are starting to trickle back to the pubs I'm going to plug the Neverspoons app. Pretty self explanatory, dont give tim martin money :cheers:

Or just do the responsible thing and don't go to the loving pub there is a pandemic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

you know who didn't sign that lovely letter?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Or just do the responsible thing and don't go to the loving pub there is a pandemic.

There won't be a pandemic forever, and it will still be a good thing not to give Tim Martin money after it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

There won't be a pandemic forever

Given the tories' complete clusterfucking of absolutely everythign related to it, citation very much needed.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

peanut- posted:

Cool that we've cut stamp duty. In these trying times the one thing we really need to spend billions on is that completely unproductive assets locking up vasts amounts of capital continue to go up in value forever.

First time buyers were already exempt up to like £300k anyway so really yeah it just helps cunts flip assets.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’ve not been going to restaurants because I might die of coronavirus but now you’re telling me there will be a few quid off?? Now I will live in a Nando’s.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

you know who didn't sign that lovely letter?

A lot of people? Noam Chomsky did though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress vouchers just give everyone cash.

I dunno, I'm not sure "just cash" would work. I for one would put it directly into my bank account and it wouldn't get spent. Why? Because the future is so uncertain right now, I might need it for something essential later. A lot of people will be thinking the same thing, especially if their job could be on the line. There's no point in helicopter money if the money immediately exits circulation and goes into savings accounts (and it's not like the banks will use it for riskier lending, so it won't even go into the economy that way either)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah rich people just stash cash too. It has to be something that can't be hoarded and needs to be spent within a time limit to achieve the desired effect. Cutting VAT might not work though just ask Chancellor Darling.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/dril/status/750328149485977600?s=19

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I dunno, I'm not sure "just cash" would work. I for one would put it directly into my bank account and it wouldn't get spent. Why? Because the future is so uncertain right now, I might need it for something essential later. A lot of people will be thinking the same thing, especially if their job could be on the line. There's no point in helicopter money if the money immediately exits circulation and goes into savings accounts (and it's not like the banks will use it for riskier lending, so it won't even go into the economy that way either)

An awful lot of people absolutely woudl spend it thoguh, given that there are people loving starving and unable to make rent in the next few months, and honestly, it's not like even close to the majority of the country is going to make use of the loving restaurant voucher.

Indeed, I'd make a pretty strong case for the fact that way more peoplee are likely to spend a tenner that is put fdirectly into their bank account than a tenner off at a loving restaurant it's not safe to go to by a transport system it's not safe to use.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Getting a bit annoyed with people saying why should NHS staff get free car parking, they should have to pay for it like everyone else does, or use public transport.
Everywhere is NOT LONDON with it's amazing public transport system (which until you've lived in the styx you really don't appreciate).

Where I live, it is simply not possible to do any sort of shift work and use public transport. In fact unless you live right in one of the big towns with jobs and hospitals, it is barely possible to do a regular 9-5 job and get there by public transport. If medical staff and ancillary workers are required to do shifts in many parts of the country, cars are essential.

And ps - we are talking daily car parking charges of anything from £15-£35 per day and daily bus fares of £8.80 maybe.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Literally no one should be suffering exorbitant costs to get to work, everyone should have suitable public transport or settled parking arrangements to come to work. It is only a problem because it's a problem that businesses can externalise and our neoliberal society dumped on the individual.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Everyone should have suitable public transport.

Given that no everyone has suitable public transport, everyone should have free parking.

it's pretty simple but you know, capitalism.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't really understand why we need a single national policy on NHS parking to be honest.

Why isn't it like every other job - if you work in the middle of a city with lots of transport options and little space available, you don't get free parking. If you work in the middle of nowhere with limited non-car access, it's provided for free. It seems like something that should be decided hospital by hospital.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

thespaceinvader posted:

An awful lot of people absolutely woudl spend it thoguh, given that there are people loving starving and unable to make rent in the next few months, and honestly, it's not like even close to the majority of the country is going to make use of the loving restaurant voucher.

Indeed, I'd make a pretty strong case for the fact that way more peoplee are likely to spend a tenner that is put fdirectly into their bank account than a tenner off at a loving restaurant it's not safe to go to by a transport system it's not safe to use.

I imagine paying off a landlords mortgage doesnt help the retail sectors in the way they want. Even if they did hand out some coronabucks it'd come with a laundry list of caveats like 'can only be used in-store' and 'cannot be used to service existing debt'

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Communist Thoughts posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/ad8d8a26-c87c-4cd3-96dc-ad5111eace1b
Sunak unveils £2bn scheme to avoid youth jobless disaster
Chancellor to announce creation of ‘free labour’ pool for companies for six months

God drat, the two things* the tories know how to do is
A) Sell public assets to their mates for less than its worth, bonus if you just bought it off your other mate for more than its worth
B) Offer big businesses free labour in order to keep wages cripplingly low and destroy labour power

*non-racist

I admit that I'm not a genius hedge fund manager with 9 figures in the bank like Sunak, but it almost seems to me like if you offer companies guaranteed free labour with no strings attached, they're less likely to hire people in "actual" jobs with like a contract and rights and above minimum wage. Possibly an oversight on his part???

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Glenn Greenwald’s good pal Tucker Carlson, yesterday:

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1280660998198898689

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

There is going to be a bunch of fraud by takeaways with this scheme.

I just know that they are going to use this scheme to inflate the numbers they are getting in, even so much as to probably buy vouchers off people (if they are actual physical vouchers) or just get people to say they ordered stuff without actually having bought anything.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

takeaways have made bank the last couple of months, of all trade sectors surely they dont need more help

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Your crusade against Greenwald is getting pretty weird

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

which until you've lived in the styx you really don't appreciate
Is this a near death experience thing?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Comrade Fakename posted:

I have no idea what this is in reference to or who any of the people in that tweet are (Jesus Christ excepted). Maybe provide some context?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TheRat posted:

Your crusade against Greenwald is getting pretty weird

he's stated multiple times he goes on that show because its the only mainstream tv show that will have him lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AVMikhailova/status/1280860638856777734?s=19

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

he's stated multiple times he goes on that show because its the only mainstream tv show that will have him lol

I don’t get invited on mainstream TV either, but there is no way I would go on a white supremacist’s show to gladhand and agree with him.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

We just bought new tyres for our Clio.

Saw a couple different options on blackcircles etc, but anything under £100 had very bad wear, so ended up going for the goodyears, and Kwik fit had then cheaper.
Was worried they would do the usual hemming and hawing about what else the car needs, but they're doing mobile fitting, so it should be fine, and the honey extension in chrome gave me a voucher that ended up with £35 off, so ended up about the same price as the Avon/Kumho options on blackcircles after all

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"We have to fight to preserve our nation and heritage - Tucker Carlson Tonight #Tucker"

It's the right number of words at least.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

Is this a near death experience thing?

Jaeluni has the Curse of Achilles

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/1280864202173886465?s=20

Winner.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I can't be bothered reading 10 pages of Twitters, have our magic vouchers of limited money been announced yet?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dead Goon posted:

I can't be bothered reading 10 pages of Twitters, have our magic vouchers of limited money been announced yet?

You get 50% off a meal at participating establishments (read: Wetherspoons).

There's also a bunch of support for property owners and companies paying sub-minimum wage/running worthless apprenticeship schemes.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

AWESOME!

I'll stick to trying to sell a couple of vinyl on Discogs every month then.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

I had a look at ASDA tyres and its £183 for all 4 tyres + someone coming to me to fit them

That's £2 less than the back tyre on my bike, including fitting, and the bastard lasts at most 8k miles.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of the points I was going to make was that a lot of people don't have a burning desire to study a particular subject for a particular career and quite often go to uni because it is expected and they just choose whatever subject they were best at in 6th Form. Physics is a case in point.

This is a very interesting shifted version of my experience! I did physics, maths, advanced maths (think pure) and chemistry at A-level-equivalent-level. I found physics interesting and easy, advanced maths interesting but challenging, and chemistry baffling and enraging. Chemistry fell foul of that school science/maths thing of "right, everything you learned last term was lies, here's the real truth", repeated every term, more so than other subjects.

You'll appreciate this: when it was time to shift from "electron shells" to "s, p, d... orbitals", my brain just switched off and went "nope, this makes no sense, no entiendo". 2 years later in university physics, the same concept came up in quantum mechanics, was explained in a few minutes, and I was sitting there going "well why didn't [chemistry teacher] just say that?? That makes total sense!"

Anyway my point was, I "should" have studied engineering at university, but I didn't really know what that was, and nobody told me it was a thing or encouraged me to do it. Being funneled into a continuation of a school subject because you're "clever" at it does nobody any favours. A smorgasbord of post-school options, especially ones that aren't school subjects themselves, with each one explained in detail and possibly with a list of jobs that require it (if any) would be a lovely thing to see before the uni application process starts.

(I think I only heard "at university, biology is chemistry, chemistry is physics, physics is maths and maths is impossible" once I got to uni.)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/maelfyn/status/1280842996171358208?s=19

:reddit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

You didn't even post the best bit

https://twitter.com/maelfyn/status/1280843101972713473?s=19