Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Orange Devil posted:

Literally an argument I heard from a professor in a Business Ethics university course. Oh wait no, it was "do you want that child to have to turn to child prostitution?".

lol. this was what broke me from conservatism when I got to college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Orange Devil posted:

Business Ethics university course.

lol

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

all I can make out is “tax refunds don’t last forever”

Entorwellian has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Jul 7, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bike tory posted:

So Melbourne is going back into lockdown for six weeks after their border restrictions let through some 'rona and the whole thing is very capitalism.png

First the state contracted out the staffing of its quarantine facilities for incoming people
So the facilities were being guarded and operated by people with no experience or training (and who are on minimum wage)
Who caught coronavirus and are now being scapegoated for the new outbreak because they were doing poo poo like carpooling to work (which spread the virus amongst them)

Penny wise.

Gigapound foolish.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Inceltown posted:

This conveniently skips the part where people in state housing have been locked in the apartment buildings with no notice and are not even being given food. Yes, they're mostly brown people, why do you ask?

Australia doing something wildly racist? Well I never...

If it wasn't so horrifying it'd be hilarious.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 12:14 on Jul 7, 2020

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Literally an argument I heard from a professor in a Business Ethics university course. Oh wait no, it was "do you want that child to have to turn to child prostitution?".

holy poo poo

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i mean theyre not wrong.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Orange Devil posted:

your first mistake was taking a business ethics course

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I took a Politics & Business course in University and we had to write an essay on "Why greed was good"

The lecturer's (not a full time prof in a Canadian university) previous job, as in the one right before this one, was a pizza delivery man.

This was a second year course where I paid hundreds of dollars to take.

Got an A on the essay because of how "logical" it is to act in your own self interests if everyone else is doing it too

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Peanut President posted:

your first mistake was taking a business ethics course

It was mandatory.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Orange Devil posted:

It was mandatory.

ouch

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Watermelon posted:

I took a Politics & Business course in University and we had to write an essay on "Why greed was good"

The lecturer's (not a full time prof in a Canadian university) previous job, as in the one right before this one, was a pizza delivery man.

This was a second year course where I paid hundreds of dollars to take.

Got an A on the essay because of how "logical" it is to act in your own self interests if everyone else is doing it too

these sorts of things are great at measuring how good you are at reading the room and creating the answer they're looking for

But they are terrible testing instruments as such because that's not what these people think they're measuring

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

This is why you major in philosophy and gender studies, at least four of my professors were Marxists once you got to know them. No jobs tho.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

T-man posted:

This is why you major in philosophy and gender studies, at least four of my professors were Marxists once you got to know them. No jobs tho.

everyone is a Marxist

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

aside from Hoxhaists I guess

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

everyone is a Marxist

Uh no?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Only hoxhaists are marxists you fool, you imbecile

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

AKA, "reasons why the US will never get UBI".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The arts faculty at my university owned, one of my majors in undergrad was Spanish and I still got exposed to lots of Marxism and critical theory through that

I did one film studies paper where the entire thing consisted of watching two movies and writing a review of each of them using Franz Fanon

No one tell Jordan Peterson tho I think it would confirm his worst fears

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(slams through wall like cool aid man)

what the gently caress

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Go build a bunker to cry about it in. :smuggo:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I was lucky enough to take history classes with a lot of professors I really liked during my BA/MA and basically none of them were actually explicitly Marxist, at best they were some tepid flavor of socdem. except the dude who supervised my thesis and I still try to see often (went to a conference w him in February), who encouraged me to focus on Marxist theory for my thesis and has some cranky old man views but still basically believes in killing the rich and redistributing wealth

Marxism is really very uncommon on campuses, I developed a reputation with my seminar cohort for being the only actual communist in the program compared to several neo-confederate scumfucks and oodles of generic privileged liberals. still friends with most of them and they’re being heavily radicalized by current events at least

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

T-man posted:

Go build a bunker to cry about it in. :smuggo:

im already in my posting bunker

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I sought it out largely for this reason, but my grad school had a bunch of good courses explicitly about Marxism, critical theory, all kinda other esoteric poo poo, but of course the vast majority of the professors teaching those classes were insanely bourgeois and gave not a drat about the various labor issues on campus or in the city around it. Several of them actively fought against unionization efforts.

Meanwhile I had far more genuinely leftist professors back in community college, but most of them were contingent and couldn’t express much of it outside of office hours without facing reprisal.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I was lucky enough to take history classes with a lot of professors I really liked during my BA/MA and basically none of them were actually explicitly Marxist, at best they were some tepid flavor of socdem. except the dude who supervised my thesis and I still try to see often (went to a conference w him in February), who encouraged me to focus on Marxist theory for my thesis and has some cranky old man views but still basically believes in killing the rich and redistributing wealth

Marxism is really very uncommon on campuses, I developed a reputation with my seminar cohort for being the only actual communist in the program compared to several neo-confederate scumfucks and oodles of generic privileged liberals. still friends with most of them and they’re being heavily radicalized by current events at least

Stop being friends with radicalizing neo-confederates op

red19fire
May 26, 2010

bike tory posted:

The arts faculty at my university owned, one of my majors in undergrad was Spanish and I still got exposed to lots of Marxism and critical theory through that

I did one film studies paper where the entire thing consisted of watching two movies and writing a review of each of them using Franz Fanon

No one tell Jordan Peterson tho I think it would confirm his worst fears

My favorite course in school was Spanish Film History and it was mostly about the anti-Franco resistance through art. I like to imagine Jr trying to explain The Exterminating Angel to his dad and giggle.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Peanut President posted:

im already in my posting bunker

the world is a bunker and im gonna cower in it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just read on twitter that mass evictions are starting in the US.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biplane posted:

Just read on twitter that mass evictions are starting in the US.

a third of Americans didn’t pay rent or the mortgage last month

it’s going to be a bloodbath

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

but not the cool sexy kind where landlords and CEOs lose their heads

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bike tory posted:

but not the cool sexy kind where landlords and CEOs lose their heads

Maybe when a few tens of millions of families are put on the street by uncaring soulless capitalists we'll get the good kind.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

now you're talkin

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

there's a joke about replacing the opening line to bullet with butterfly wings with "the world is a bunker" in here somewhere

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

the world is a bunker and im gonna gently caress in it

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

call me

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
America, win the respect of the world back by rounding up all your rich evil people and taking all their cahs

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Holy gently caress, really?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Biplane posted:

Maybe when a few tens of millions of families are put on the street by uncaring soulless capitalists we'll get the good kind.
they're already trained to turn on each other for failing to properly lick the boot :smith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zzulu posted:

America, win the respect of the world back by rounding up all your rich evil people and taking all their cahs

Rich people don't usually own their cahs, they lease them or have a management company drive them around for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Holy gently caress, really?

Actual unemployment went up to infinity percent so yeah it's not that surprising that a country where the average person's life savings is like negative four hundred dollars is suddenly finding out that nobody can pay rent if they miss even one paycheck.

Anyway, murder landlords:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wITB0oexVGQ