Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I get it (though it's still very gross) in the cases of Riddle and Ospreay but what access is he preserving by he and Bryan caping for Cornette here?

The actual Observer article lays out pretty clearly why he is skeptical of the Cornette accusations, because he and Bryan spoke to many people close to OVW and no one they spoke to would back up the story or provides similar stories. I believe the Cornette accusations, and don't even think the quid pro quo is relevant to why it is unethical but Bryan especially knows a lot of people who were involved in OVW at every level, and Bryan's sources had the same conclusion.

As for Riddle I sent Dave and Bryan an email why I did not think this coverage was proper and received a response from Dave where I can see his side, and will at least read the story in the next Observer and wait for his response to my reply that he needs to look at the situation again and how his attempt to be objective is in fact causing him to not be objective.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Its absolutely zero excuse, but it's a bummer that Dave doesn't address certain topics with an idea of "I am out of my element and don't know how to comment", instead of his 3am stream-of-consciousness ramblings which we get.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

The actual Observer article lays out pretty clearly why he is skeptical of the Cornette accusations, because he and Bryan spoke to many people close to OVW and no one they spoke to would back up the story or provides similar stories. I believe the Cornette accusations, but Bryan especially knows a lot of people who were involved in OVW at every level, and Bryan's sources had the same conclusion.

I'd heard that on the WOR where they talked about the Cornette stuff and the conclusion I came away with was that the folks they talked to probably wouldn't confirm the accusations to Bryan even if they could. It also might not be something that most people had evidence of outside of rumours, as the victims would've been afraid to come forward.

For me it's just grating the amount of time/ink they spend on trying to poke holes in a story of this kind when sexual assault accusations are so hard to prove to begin with. But I'd be interested to know what he says about the other cases.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

As for Riddle I sent Dave and Bryan an email why I did not think this coverage was proper and received a response from Dave where I can see his side, and will at least read the story in the next Observer and wait for his response to my reply that he needs to look at the situation again and how his attempt to be objective is in fact causing him to not be objective.

Thank you for saying something to them

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'd heard that on the WOR where they talked about the Cornette stuff and the conclusion I came away with was that the folks they talked to probably wouldn't confirm the accusations to Bryan even if they could. It also might not be something that most people had evidence of outside of rumours, as the victims would've been afraid to come forward.

For me it's just grating the amount of time/ink they spend on trying to poke holes in a story of this kind when sexual assault accusations are so hard to prove to begin with. But I'd be interested to know what he says about the other cases.

The second Speaking Out Observer feature is really in depth and I think shows that a lot of care was done to try and cover the story rather than poke holes in stories. It's not even the "objectivity" he does on the podcast where he tries to see (or argue) both sides, but he does really seem to be trying to cover this in depth.

Anyway we'll see if he reads the second email as it was much longer than the first, but the first was a lot more confrontational in tone and he read it and responded so we'll see.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
And at this time it is important to promote another wrestling podcaster who does good posts.

https://twitter.com/mitchellpwtorch/status/1280606979472478212

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

flashy_mcflash posted:

Frankly, those examples invalidate whatever else he's said on the subject because he's clearly playing favourites on this issue.
For real. Also, he used people being raped as an excuse to launch into how you can't tell jokes on twitter without people being offended.

I know we joke about beep boop robot Dave, but that was just... what the gently caress, dude.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Granny goes full After Dark.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Has Bryan ever seen an episode of BTE? Dave always asks him and he always says no, then he recaps it while Bryan sounds like he couldn't care less.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Bryan doesnt even watch Dark I think, he's of the view that if it isn't on TV it doesn't exist and by design should not be important as the things that are the best and should be important should be put on television.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lid posted:

Bryan doesnt even watch Dark I think, he's of the view that if it isn't on TV it doesn't exist and by design should not be important as the things that are the best and should be important should be put on television.

Bryan has a lot of "Of course its the best, it was the most expensive one!" energy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

does, does bryan know hes not on tv? does bryan know by his own rules he set out nobody should ever watch bryan and vinny? is he aware of this

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
He means specifically in a wrestling format with a television deal. If it was internet only he'd watch it on the internet only but when you're on TNT the good stuff should also be on TNT. They do have a point in that they do assume too much that people watch everything and that they should air the good stuff on TV, which is an argument we level against WWE a lot because a lot of their best stuff was in things people never even saw as they were obscure on their youtube page interviews with people cutting off the cuff good promos.

It's a legitimate view and perspective, and like how Dynamite has started the ticker of AEW Dark results is a reply to it that has even here been applauded because it means "hey if you didnt watch this show heres things that happened to be aware of".

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

Has Bryan ever seen an episode of BTE? Dave always asks him and he always says no, then he recaps it while Bryan sounds like he couldn't care less.

Listening to Dave totally butcher the jokes on BTE while recapping it to a completely checked out Bryan is one of my favorite recurring WOR bits

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

OctoberCountry posted:

Listening to Dave totally butcher the jokes on BTE while recapping it to a completely checked out Bryan is one of my favorite recurring WOR bits

It rules. :discourse:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, seems pretty obvious to me. dark is not watched by nearly as many people as dynamite, and it's absolutely the less important show.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
It’s also worth remembering that Bryan has two young kids and is already watching raw, smackdown, dynamite, NXT, retro raw/SD, and SNME every week. I wouldn’t bother watching supplemental poo poo either.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

This is 90% of WOR as a whole.

OctoberCountry posted:

Also this. Dave has incredible "The Chris Farley Show" energy but it's 100% unintentional.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lid posted:

I love AEW more than I like most people and I've never watched a full episode of Dark. I'll watch BTE fairly regularly and I'll watch Road Tos sometimes (I should watch Road Tos more often, they're usually home runs), but like. Dynamite gets me my fill. I'm always extremely satisfied each Wednesday at 10 PM, I don't need to dilute that feeling with more.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I watch dark most weeks but I watch while doing stuff unless there is a specific match I want to pay attention to. AEW on Wednesdays gets my full attention.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I have never watched and have no interest in watching BTE.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I wish I found BTE half as funny as Dave does.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
BTE is extremely taste-dependent and even if you like that kind of humor, it's still super hit or miss, but there's usually at least a couple things worth watching every week. It's actually done a lot to add extra little bits of context to Hangman's character and right now, Dark Order is incredible.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I rarely watch Dark because it comes out on Tuesday and is largely irrelevant by Wednesday. If they released it on Saturday or Sunday I’d be much more likely to watch it.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

MJeff posted:

BTE is extremely taste-dependent and even if you like that kind of humor, it's still super hit or miss, but there's usually at least a couple things worth watching every week. It's actually done a lot to add extra little bits of context to Hangman's character and right now, Dark Order is incredible.

Yeah even if I do watch it it's mostly for Best Friends bits and Hangman. Hangman has really good delivery, which even though I'm really not interested in most of the Kenny/Bucks stuff helps a lot. He's a pretty good actor and could probably be a really good one if he wanted to do that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
To me William Regal is a Hall of Famer, his tenure and legacy are beyond repute as well as how much he was just such a great worker for so long. This brings up I never thought to check what Meltzer said about Regal working until now:

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestler-star-ratings/william-regal-316.html

Jesus, if you didn't know William Regal you would have him on the same tier as god knows how many people. He looks so... underwhelming... mapped out like this. Am I mad for thinking Regal is a Hall of Famer considering well we know he never popped a buyrate, he wasnt a big draw, but as a pure wrestler as you want to be and emulate he's had one of the longest shadows in modern professional wrestling alongside like Ultimo Dragon.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lid posted:

To me William Regal is a Hall of Famer, his tenure and legacy are beyond repute as well as how much he was just such a great worker for so long. This brings up I never thought to check what Meltzer said about Regal working until now:

http://www.profightdb.com/wrestler-star-ratings/william-regal-316.html

Jesus, if you didn't know William Regal you would have him on the same tier as god knows how many people. He looks so... underwhelming... mapped out like this. Am I mad for thinking Regal is a Hall of Famer considering well we know he never popped a buyrate, he wasnt a big draw, but as a pure wrestler as you want to be and emulate he's had one of the longest shadows in modern professional wrestling alongside like Ultimo Dragon.

If Regal were at his peak that entire period, yeah, but he sabotaged his own career multiple times, and he wasn't a good enough worker to make up for that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When Regal was on he did put on some Hall of Fame matches but due to injuries/personal demons he just doesn't have enough to get in on Work Rate alone and as you said he's not going to get in as a draw.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

regal has done more harm to pro wrestling than good

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Super No Vacancy posted:

regal has done more harm to pro wrestling than good

Hmm. Yes, speak on that....

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Regal recruits people for WWE and he's extremely good at it.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

He and Trips have been trying to strip the Indies of stars for years and then mothball them in NXT. He's absolutely done more harm than good to wrestling as a whole thanks to what he's done over the last 6-7 years.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
BTE is unwatchable, Chico has the right idea

he already has to watch WWE every week, let's not torture him more

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

He was the Crossroads demon at PWG for like seven years, getting talent to sell their futures to him.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Karmine posted:

It’s also worth remembering that Bryan has two young kids and is already watching raw, smackdown, dynamite, NXT, retro raw/SD, and SNME every week. I wouldn’t bother watching supplemental poo poo either.

Yep. He’s probably pushing 30-35 hours per week just on the major shows he watches and actively being on air. That says nothing of actual running a small business, tech support for all his co-hosts, social media marketing, etc. Bryan is extremely efficient with his time if he’s getting everything done in a 60 hour week.

Don’t blame him for skipping the YouTube bullshit shows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Regal probably knew the exact pressure points to hit in the UK to destroy that scene as well.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I Before E posted:

He was the Crossroads demon at PWG for like seven years, getting talent to sell their futures to him.

I could swear that I've read somewhere that he pitches to talent that they should sign with WWE when they're ready to wrap up their careers or something like that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

daniel bryan said in his book that regal told him your wrestling career ends when you sign and from now on you’ll be doing a parody of it lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Funny thing is Regal has recommended New Japan over NXT as the place to actually learn how to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Funny thing is Regal has recommended New Japan over NXT as the place to actually learn how to work

Didn't he get Juice into the dojo? Or was that Albert?

I know Regal is why Liger did that one Takeover, I assume they know each other from Liger's excursion here.