Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't imagine they will or can but some sort of matchmaking for whatever-the-hell in Forge would be fun.
That would just be what they've been doing with some of the rotating playlists and such (like the happening and racing), and I do hope they continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I am so down for Halo 3 on PC the campaign has always been my favorite.

I can't seem to get into the multiplayer though, and I don't think that will change with 3. It seems like a lot of people log in to check it out, but after a week or two most people drop off and only the really good players who've been playing Halo for 15 years stay on. It makes for a pretty unforgiving experience for newbies such as myself.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone started playing through the Windows Store version, then went to Steam? I know steam makes you use a xbox profile, so I'm wondering if i pick up the steam version it will use same profile.

(I only have MCC through the games pass, so I'm tempted to just buy a proper copy)

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picked this up on steam sale got through truth and reconciliation and the updated graphics are... a bit much?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Lawman 0 posted:

Picked this up on steam sale got through truth and reconciliation and the updated graphics are... a bit much?

yeah sometimes theres way too much visual noise and i'll end up tabbing to the original graphics to see where im actually shooting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lawman 0 posted:

Just wait until you get to the Flood and the entire horror aesthetic goes out the window. 343 Guilty Spark is especially egregious.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just wait until you get to the Flood and the entire horror aesthetic goes out the window. 343 Guilty Spark is especially egregious.

343 Guilty Spark went from "Dark, spooky, and somber" to "Outdoor nightclub levels of brightness and lights" with the new graphics.

There are places where the new graphics are OK or even good, like Halo, Pillar of Autumn, Silent Cartographer but good lord did they over-bright everywhere else. Like in "Two Betrayals" its supposed to take place at night but that moon is so bright you might be getting a moon-burn.

Luckily, the Remastered graphics in Halo 2 A are much better and more in line with the level's atmosphere.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I've been considering grabbing this, but I keep hesitating on the reports of bad individual launches. Have patches improved things for Halo 1 and 2? I know that the big audio patch is coming for Reach, but I think the other releases were also a good bit unstable/buggy?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Roluth posted:

I've been considering grabbing this, but I keep hesitating on the reports of bad individual launches. Have patches improved things for Halo 1 and 2? I know that the big audio patch is coming for Reach, but I think the other releases were also a good bit unstable/buggy?

Other than the Reach Audio issues, the performance has been fine for me. I didn't encounter anything note worthy in my Halo and Halo 2 A playthoughs. Both maintained 60 fps at 1080p and I didn't experience any crashes or noticeable glitches.

Now granted, I've barely touched the multiplayer so I can't speak well for it. But the few rounds I did play (Reach, Halo, Halo 2/A) were fine though matchmaking sometimes takes forever to find a BTB.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've noticed that Delta Halo and Regret have a few spots where the framerate really chugs no matter what your specs are and its been noted by multiple people, which makes me believe its an engine issue.

It never really struck me before now how half assed the Flood are in Halo 2. The anniversary graphics are great but they do spoil the Flood reveal on the mining station because the glass is too clear and you can clearly see the flood attacking the heretics. But beyond that, the flood are just "there" without any buildup.

It also makes Miranda into a colossal idiot since she had all of Cortana's data on Alpha Halo and then she decides to park her frigate immediately above an out of control flood quarantine zone getting 9/10ths of her crew killed instantly.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

e: never mind!

Fuzzy McDoom fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 9, 2020

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It never really struck me before now how half assed the Flood are in Halo 2.

Having the little infection forms revive dead corpses but still having the Flood immune to melee damage really doesn't help in the gameplay department either. At least 3 fixed some of that problem. Going back to Halo 2 now years later, it really really shows how rushed the game feels in some areas.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've noticed that Delta Halo and Regret have a few spots where the framerate really chugs no matter what your specs are and its been noted by multiple people, which makes me believe its an engine issue.

It never really struck me before now how half assed the Flood are in Halo 2. The anniversary graphics are great but they do spoil the Flood reveal on the mining station because the glass is too clear and you can clearly see the flood attacking the heretics. But beyond that, the flood are just "there" without any buildup.

It also makes Miranda into a colossal idiot since she had all of Cortana's data on Alpha Halo and then she decides to park her frigate immediately above an out of control flood quarantine zone getting 9/10ths of her crew killed instantly.

Halo 2 suffers a lot from the rushed and insane development cycle it had, and the technical limitations of the original Xbox.

We all know how the marketing really, really hyped up this huge battle for Earth and then oops it's basically just a skirmish in a desert city (a location already over-done in mid-2000s shooters) and then you gently caress off back to space.

Then you get to Delta Halo and that first level is really fun, but then as the Arbirter you're stuck in samey corridors fighting hoards of Flood except Bungie made the flood tougher and even more annoying than in the first game.

Then you get to High Charity which should be a really cool level. It's a giant floating space city and the heart of the Covenant government. Except you spend the entire thing in tight corridors again fighting covenant in samey rooms. The Covenant civil war fights are neat, but there are no massive battles in open spaces like in "Two Betrayals" in the original Halo.

Uprising is neat, although the Brutes are a pain to deal with being big bullet sponges that can one-hit kill you when they go berserk.

Also the story just tries to do too much with the little time it has and then the game just..ends.

Halo 3 by comparison, if my memory serves me right, is much better paced both in story and mission design and features some nice, large outdoor battles (on Earth!) that just were not possible on the Xbox.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halo 3 is good but it starts to fall apart by the time you reach The Ark as Miranda's stupid pills take over (im gonna kill the prophet of truth with a shotgun and no backup after yeeting a pelican into the tower oops dead) and the Flood do the same "enemy of my enemy is my friend" trick from Halo 2 except instead of it lasting a couple levels it lasts for five minutes and then immediately ends once Truth gets shanked.

The best campaign is probably a tie between 3 and ODST, though neither of them have particularly good stories, but that's par for Halo. Great moment by moment presentation across the board in service to bog standard stories that suffer from rushed development and too much hyperbolic DRAMA to squeeze emotion out of scenes that haven't earned it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Idk the part in Halo 3 where you team up with the Flood to stop Truth from firing the Ark owns.

Also yea Miranda is an idiot but Johnson’s reaction to her death is legit sad :smith: and a well done cutscene.

I really enjoy Halo 3’s gameplay and story and I am so stoked to finally play it on PC :)

For me, it is the pinnacle of the series.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I beat halo:ce last night

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Halo 2 suffers a lot from the rushed and insane development cycle it had, and the technical limitations of the original Xbox.

We all know how the marketing really, really hyped up this huge battle for Earth and then oops it's basically just a skirmish in a desert city (a location already over-done in mid-2000s shooters) and then you gently caress off back to space.

I still remember being confused when I didn't see city segment I remember seeing in pre-release gameplay.

Also, in a trailer, there's a big explosion in the city, but in-game it's the white slip-space jump effect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lawman 0 posted:

I beat halo:ce last night

Near the end if Two Betrayals did you take on the Flood and Covenant huge brawl with the wraiths turrets and multiple elites or did you do like me and just run around the back, steal a banshee and gently caress off to the final checkpoint?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Near the end if Two Betrayals did you take on the Flood and Covenant huge brawl with the wraiths turrets and multiple elites or did you do like me and just run around the back, steal a banshee and gently caress off to the final checkpoint?

lmao ok so I died like probably 30 times to that section trying both of those methods and it was honestly loving awful because I forgot that actually the rocket launcher sucks rear end. At least until I realized I could shimmy a ghost up the ridge and it only took three tries.
Special note goes to getting shot in the back by a silver elite during the final run to the swordfish, that was hysterical.
Edit: Also I forgot how awful fighting the flood was and how many copy and paste environments they use which was just awful honestly.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 9, 2020

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Halo ftw.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Lawman 0 posted:

lmao ok so I died like probably 30 times to that section trying both of those methods and it was honestly loving awful because I forgot that actually the rocket launcher sucks rear end. At least until I realized I could shimmy a ghost up the ridge and it only took three tries.
Special note goes to getting shot in the back by a silver elite during the final run to the swordfish, that was hysterical.
Edit: Also I forgot how awful fighting the flood was and how many copy and paste environments they use which was just awful honestly.

I use the rocket launcher for flipping over turrets (aim low). Then you can spam ghost cannons on the tanks from afar, and once the tanks are dead the battlefield becomes a sniper gallery.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Going through the Reach campaign now and... I really think the tone is really not great even if yes you are supposed to lose.
It's genuinely annoying and distracting.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 12, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Beat Halo 2 anniversary on heroic. Gravemind might have been the toughest level in the game but I think it was also the best overall. I had to switch back to classic visuals to get the Breaking Benjamin song, and overall it was really fun especially with the new graphics.

I was then pretty shocked when Uprising and High Charity were both way smaller levels than I remembered, to the point where they both ended before the scripted dialogue in the levels could finish speaking.

Best level: Gravemind.
Worst Level: Sacred Icon. gently caress the instakill shotgun Flood with a vengeance. Quarantine Zone isn't much better with the super sentinels spawning behind you and the first notice you get is two seconds before their cluster of missiles kills your scorpion tank.

With the amount of effort that went into remaking Halo 2, I'm once again left wondering what the game would have been like if Bungie hadn't had to scrap their first draft and rush to meet deadlines. There's a lot of room for improvement in Halo 2's single-player and some more levels like the attack on the assault carrier or the Chief's Forerunner Tank Escape would have been fun additions. I'd have liked to see what 343 could have added if they were going beyond remastering the graphics and had also put new missions in.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Beat Halo 2 anniversary on heroic. Gravemind might have been the toughest level in the game but I think it was also the best overall. I had to switch back to classic visuals to get the Breaking Benjamin song, and overall it was really fun especially with the new graphics.

Just played through on normal myself - the track change on the Heretic (Follow/Follow In Flight) threw me off - the track that plays in Metropolis before the Scarab boarding also felt way weaker in the remaster - like, it seems like they're going for a similar thing but the instrumentation is a bit different and it just doesn't hit as good.

Graphics update seems really good - most of the time I kinda felt like "oh yeah this is how I remember it" before flipping back and realize how much of a jump they made. Had to swap to old graphics in a few spots on the later levels since the updated added a lot of shadows and darkness where the wasn't really any before.

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's a lot of room for improvement in Halo 2's single-player and some more levels like the attack on the assault carrier or the Chief's Forerunner Tank Escape would have been fun additions. I'd have liked to see what 343 could have added if they were going beyond remastering the graphics and had also put new missions in.

Is there an outline of what Halo 2 was supposed to be out there?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Halo 1 Anniversary was trying way too hard to be Slick and Cool and Updated, whereas with Halo 2 they managed to capture that feeling of "This is what you as a dumb kid remember it looking like"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Is there an outline of what Halo 2 was supposed to be out there?
From looking around, what I've been able to see is:

• There were plans for a level between Cairo Station and Outskirts where Chief would enter that Covenant carrier and fight inside it. It got replaced by the "giving them back their bomb" cutscene, which was probably better than what we would have got. Certainly more badass.
  • A level was planned where the Chief would have driven a Forerunner Tank (a vehicle concepted for Halo 1) through the tunnels of Delta Halo (where "awesomeness would ensure"), getting harassed by the Gravemind's tentacles on the way to meeting it.
  • An actual ending. The plan, according to Marty O'Donnell, was that Chief would return to Earth, find the Ark of the Covenant (later turned into the Portal in Halo 3), team up with the Arbiter (called The Dervish at this point in development) and work with him to chase down and defeat the Prophet of Truth. Supposedly voice recording was done for all of this, but time constraints required slashing and burning down to that cliffhanger.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 12, 2020

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

• An actual ending. The plan, according to Marty O'Donnell, was that Chief would return to Earth, find the Ark of the Covenant (later turned into the Portal in Halo 3), team up with the Arbiter (called The Dervish at this point in development) and work with him to chase down and defeat the Prophet of Truth. Supposedly voice recording was done for all of this, but time constraints required slashing and burning down to that cliffhanger.

In hindsight I’m glad they didn’t do this. It still would have been rushed and the Ark scene works so much better on the Xbox360 hardware than it would have on the org Xbox.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I beat reach and I thought the ending was actually kinda dumb.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The missions pertaining to Halsey and Cortana feel entirely at odds with the rest of the campaign.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

The missions pertaining to Halsey and Cortana feel entirely at odds with the rest of the campaign.

It genuinely seems jammed in there to do something heroic as gracefully as a gray whale.
like it genuinely seems you could have just covered a final evacuation with a heroic sacrifice at the end. Instead of awkwardly mashing the forerunners in there and making weird plot changes. But that's just my impression.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 12, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Kins posted:

• There were plans for a level between Cairo Station and Outskirts where Chief would enter that Covenant carrier and fight inside it. It got replaced by the "giving them back their bomb" cutscene, which was probably better than what we would have got. Certainly more badass.
  • A level was planned where the Chief would have driven a Forerunner Tank (a vehicle concepted for Halo 1) through the tunnels of Delta Halo (where "awesomeness would ensure"), getting harassed by the Gravemind's tentacles on the way to meeting it.

I believe there was also supposed to be another Warthog Run to get to the gravity beam on High Charity. The Halo 2 PC edition's modding community tried restoring it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXwEw3jM-h4

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
im playing halo for the first time via MCC and, wow, The Library in fact does suck as much as everyone said. I've been playing on Heroic and tagging in a pal to co-op on a few missions but he refused to touch The Library, and I see why, though it would have been like half the length in co-op I imagine

I've generally enjoyed mashing select every 45 seconds to toggle the graphics (I briefly considered doing something gimmicky like binding it to my reload button, though the occasional load time means that wouldn't really work :v:) but I kept them on remastered for the entirety of The Library and 343 Guilty Spark. I get why people wouldn't like the colorful outdoor area in the latter but I enjoyed it because, like, The Flood are not actually that scary, so it's not like you really need to amp up the tension with darkness. More interesting to make it colorful and otherworldly. Totally get the complaints about the detail making things hard to read, though; there were a handful of fights where I toggled it back to old graphics just to make aiming easier.

This game feels amazing with a controller, I wonder how much of that was the MCC update? The huge auto aim helps a ton of course, but it's absolutely necessary for things like the respawning enemy wave fights in The Library where I was switching enemies with the shotgun as fast as I could reload. Would be impossible to play on controller without that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I remember Halo 1-3 being totally fine with a controller, and that's coming from someone who grew up pretty die hard "FPS belong on PC" and even played Halo on PC first. Halo is basically what convinced me you can do FPS on console.

The moody lighting is mostly good for making the swamp feel creepy in the leadup to the showing you the flood. It's supposed to give unsettling vibes more then scary?

But yea the Library can get hosed and putting floor arrows in the remaster is a funny (and good) tweak.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
When I wanted to share Halo with my friends, I had this grand plan to marathon Halo 1-3 over the course of several days.

We softlocked ourselves in the Library after falling into one of the pits co-op and couldn't escape because each of us would just respawn in the pit which killed our interest and then we just played fighting games instead.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

This game feels amazing with a controller, I wonder how much of that was the MCC update? The huge auto aim helps a ton of course, but it's absolutely necessary for things like the respawning enemy wave fights in The Library where I was switching enemies with the shotgun as fast as I could reload. Would be impossible to play on controller without that.

I had played Reach, Halo, Halo 2 with mouse/keyboard and I found the games much harder than I remembered. I want to replay with the controller and see if the auto-aim helps.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
does the Banshee get better in later games because right now I absolutely loving hate using this thing

I should probably drop the difficulty down from Heroic since this return to the snow level is just a slog, though just speed running past enemies and letting the door close behind you is surprisingly effective as long as they're not the charging Flood dudes. I cannot imagine playing this game on Legendary with the health system it has, honestly; I've spent 90% of my time in this game sitting on less than three squares of HP. I imagine 2 and 3 are a lot more doable with full recharging.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 13, 2020

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

abraham linksys posted:

does the Banshee get better in later games because right now I absolutely loving hate using this thing

Not really, no.

What do you hate about it? In later games you have a speed boost and can do tricks with it, but otherwise it handles pretty much the same.

Pursued by bees fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 13, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd actually say they get worse after Combat Evolved. The CE Banshee can at least take a couple hits, but the Halo 2 Banshee is dead meat if anything gets behind you and no amount of backflips will get them off your rear end.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd actually say they get worse after Combat Evolved. The CE Banshee can at least take a couple hits, but the Halo 2 Banshee is dead meat if anything gets behind you and no amount of backflips will get them off your rear end.

2 seemed really really into the "sympathetic damage" thing with the vehicles, combined with the way you have way less health in that game than the others. The CE Banshee also has that weird thing where if you try and hover with it by holding the direction stick back, you fall out of the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ghost in Halo 2 can be immediately blown up if you shoot the fusion core underneath the driver's left foot, it's suicide to be in it lol