Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Flavius Aetass posted:

i think there's been an unspoken ally --> member pipeline through hating muslims that more recently included hating BLM types

There's a version of conservatism that could have come out of the early GBW era that basically let socially conservative Catholic Hispanic folks in on the whiteness franchise and formed a new Silent Majority but, for obvious reasons, that never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I honestly think the GOP would have made a serious effort for American Muslims if it wasn't for 9/11

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Muslims and Hispanics were up for inclusion in the GOP's coalition, but they went all in on racism after 9/11 and Obama so that's out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zeroisanumber posted:

Muslims and Hispanics were up for inclusion in the GOP's coalition, but they went all in on racism after 9/11 and Obama so that's out.
Asian-Americans, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Azathoth posted:

There's a version of conservatism that could have come out of the early GBW era that basically let socially conservative Catholic Hispanic folks in on the whiteness franchise and formed a new Silent Majority but, for obvious reasons, that never happened.
I can't believe how excited I am for the Jeb! campaign!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

StashAugustine posted:

I honestly think the GOP would have made a serious effort for American Muslims if it wasn't for 9/11

even before 9/11 it would've been a pretty tall order getting evangelicals on board with the ppl of the "moon god" but i guess a sufficiently anti-abortion muslim might have gotten a pass

Azathoth posted:

it's also the road map from the GOP's "post-mortem" of the 2012 election, guess they had some difficulties with their base putting that into practice

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

even before 9/11 it would've been a pretty tall order getting evangelicals on board with the ppl of the "moon god" but i guess a sufficiently anti-abortion muslim might have gotten a pass

They love Trump, who mocks their faith weekly right to their loving faces and was a democrat for 3/4 of his life.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1280934980051513348

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They love Trump, who mocks their faith weekly right to their loving faces and was a democrat for 3/4 of his life.

yea-- bc he wants to ban muslims and brown ppl, and he supports their end-times obsession with israel and right-wing zionism. i'm not saying they couldn't do it using abortion and social issue poo poo, but it was never going to be easy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

qanon people rule

https://twitter.com/Mirkked/status/1280427433196433409

https://twitter.com/Ntornee/status/1280487219329994753

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
They love Trump because he's a balls out white supremacist and they're a polite white supremacist social club who sit around grumbling about how they're not allowed to be balls out about it. Sure there's a few weirdos in there who emphasize the "polite" enough that they could envision welcoming Mexican Catholics and Culturally aligned Muslims into the BBQ but yeah, that was always gonna be a heavy lift for a party who's so used to leading them around with red meat and not asking for much in return besides votes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
ah yes that classic evolution defender.....

*checks notes*

uh....the vatican

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I used to think this way, but Trump's election made me finally realize that the faith of American evangelicals is God = Capitalism = America. Trump panders to evangelicals in every way that matters.
Show me a "classical liberal" and I'll show you a fascist who's barely smart enough to lie about it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do archaeologists typically dress like workers laying ground cables?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Show me a "classical liberal" and I'll show you a fascist who's barely smart enough to lie about it.
Classical Liberal is one of those eternally-shifting names that libertarians call themselves (I'm a minarchist no wait I'm an anarcho-capitalist no actually I'm an Objectivist no really I'm a classical liberal no in fact I'm a libertarian well im more of a "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" person etc. etc. etc.)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*checks notes*

uh....the vatican
Well unlike most other Christian denominations in America they weren't overtly and strenuously opposed to it, so it must be a foul papist plot behind the scenes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Heath posted:

Sturdy pants, comfortable boots, long sleeves, sure. A high-visibility vest and a hard hat? No.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*checks notes*

uh....the vatican

The Church is more or less alright with evolution nowadays (well, evolution guided by God at least), although I'm guessing the anti-Vatican II crowd disagrees.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

so wait their problem with evolution is that it theorizes we evolved from apes instead of from giants?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

There's no real uniform but depending on the site you might be wearing a high vis vest like that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
flat earthers dont believe in trees? this is a new and wonderful one for me

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Why would the tree stump be from a civilization. Did they build trees.
Do these people not know what "civilization" means.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

this is all true US troops in afghanistan were literally fighting man eating giants near the afghan/chinese boarder

Grape posted:

Why would the tree stump be from a civilization. Did they build trees.
Do these people not know what "civilization" means.

someone had to cut the tree down right?

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Question, is the punisher skull in the profile pic a normal sized one or an ancient giant skull

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I wish I lived in their world -- it seems a lot cooler than ours.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1280652554095951873

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Zeroisanumber posted:

They would have tried, but it's hard to say if they would have gotten any traction. Political coalitions based primarily on exclusion have a lot of resistance to absorbing new groups. Unless they join at a lower rung than the established members, it's nearly impossible to do even if necessary to avoid destruction.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hodgepodge posted:

They would have tried, but it's hard to say if they would have gotten any traction. Political coalitions based primarily on exclusion have a lot of resistance to absorbing new groups. Unless they join at a lower rung than the established members, it's nearly impossible to do even if necessary to avoid destruction.

I think Muslims had a better shot since they're a much smaller minority so theres less of an immigration panic, at least in the US

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

Classical Liberal is one of those eternally-shifting names that libertarians call themselves (I'm a minarchist no wait I'm an anarcho-capitalist no actually I'm an Objectivist no really I'm a classical liberal no in fact I'm a libertarian well im more of a "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" person etc. etc. etc.)
i knew someone like this once who was a hard-right republican but would say stuff like that at parties

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

isn't "socially liberal but fiscally conservative" the definition of an actual (non-pepe) libertarian?

e: one of the definitions, the other one being "my girlfriend shouldn't have to use a car seat"

goatsestretchgoals has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Jul 9, 2020

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Feldegast42 posted:

I wish I lived in their world -- it seems a lot cooler than ours.

Yes but they somehow think that giants and dragons existing proves their entrenched social hierarchies for some reason.

Giants are proof that gays aren't real.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
People rope Catholics into all sorts of weird, dire plots but the truth is they're so, so boring. Just regular old dull-rear end people.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

but I thought all of the classical liberals were a lock for biden... whats going on????

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

miniscule12 posted:

Yes but they somehow think that giants and dragons existing proves their entrenched social hierarchies for some reason.

Giants are proof that gays aren't real.

Creationist archeologist discovers some love giants, brings them before an Evangelical congress, the crowd is shocked as the giants engage in the likes of sodomy seem only on macrofetish deviantart.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im gonna be objectivist here.... what?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

I used to think this way, but Trump's election made me finally realize that the faith of American evangelicals is God = Capitalism = America. Trump panders to evangelicals in every way that matters.

Trump is the logical conclusion of the Prosperity Gospel, i.e. if you're a good Christian then God rewards you materially. So therefore if God rewarded Trump materially then he must be a good Christian.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Azathoth posted:

Trump is the logical conclusion of the Prosperity Gospel, i.e. if you're a good Christian then God rewards you materially. So therefore if God rewarded Trump materially then he must be a good Christian.
It's this.

Also: everything that is is God's plan, therefore Tromp being President is part of God's plan, and who are you to question God's plan?

Weirdly, that logic didn't apply to President Obama. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

I think Muslims had a better shot since they're a much smaller minority so theres less of an immigration panic, at least in the US

i mean plus the foreign policy people all loved the salafis for a long time. (unclear whether the foreign policy and domestic portions of the government ever communicate though.)