Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Manager Hoyden posted:

How is the air "holding" water in the first place?

I believe the water is dissolving into the air to form a solution (think mixing salt into liquid water). Being mixed with gaseous air can keep the water gaseous up to a certain concentration point, at which point excess water is free to form visible droplets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Is there an _actually_ reliable way to find salary information about specific careers in specific locations? When I look for my position on glassdoor/indeed etc. It's significantly (20-50%) lower than my actual salary.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Alright I think I got it folks. Thanks for indulging me in this endeavor.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Slimy Hog posted:

Is there an _actually_ reliable way to find salary information about specific careers in specific locations? When I look for my position on glassdoor/indeed etc. It's significantly (20-50%) lower than my actual salary.

A huge huge part of American job culture is based on preventing this knowledge from being spread so employers can maintain as much power as possible over their employees. There's not really any reliable way to get this information, but you should be posting on those sites with your huge salary so not everybody thinks they should be paid 20-50% less than you.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Badger of Basra posted:

(This question is US only since I don't know how this works in other countries)

Was buying cars directly from the manufacturer ever a thing, or has it always been done through dealerships? When did the ban (I think it's a ban) on buying directly from manufacturers come about?

The first car dealership in the US was opened in 1898. My memory is that the big US car manufacturers stopped selling directly to consumers in the 1920s.

This white paper might be useful, and it notes that one of the articles cited compiles all the state laws banning direct purchase of cars, so finding that would give you the most detailed answers.

(This is somewhat unrelated, but Sears tried selling cars :shrug:)

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 6, 2020

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

https://www.flcdatacenter.com/OESWizardStart.aspx

This is the Department of Labor's database of wage data that is used to determine prevailing wages that employers are required to pay certain types of visa holders. It might be helpful to you.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Marathanes posted:

https://www.flcdatacenter.com/OESWizardStart.aspx

This is the Department of Labor's database of wage data that is used to determine prevailing wages that employers are required to pay certain types of visa holders. It might be helpful to you.

These is a good resource, but I was actually looking for data overseas (specifically New Zealand)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Manager Hoyden posted:

Alright I think I got it folks. Thanks for indulging me in this endeavor.

While we're at it, actual steam (water in gas form) is invisible. The stuff you can see coming out of a boiling kettle is water vapour.

As far as I understand, smoke and water vapour are basically the same thing, except with smoke it's tiny bits of burned stuff and with water vapour it's tiny droplets of water.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Hyperlynx posted:

While we're at it, actual steam (water in gas form) is invisible. The stuff you can see coming out of a boiling kettle is water vapour.

As far as I understand, smoke and water vapour are basically the same thing, except with smoke it's tiny bits of burned stuff and with water vapour it's tiny droplets of water.

Incorrect, water vapor is the gaseous form of water and is invisible. Steam is also the invisible gaseous form of water, but the more useful definition of "steam" is the stuff you see coming out of a boiling kettle, which is liquid water suspended in the air because it's being cooled by the surrounding air outside of the kettle, aka "wet steam".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Smoke” is ill‐defined as a substance, but I would say it has components that are gases and components that are solids.

dupersaurus posted:

Edit: Not needed to answer the question, but remember that temperature measures the average amount of energy within a substance. Individual molecules within that substance can have energy above the vapor point or below the solid point while the temperature is between the two.

To expand on this, when a particular molecule has energy above the vapor point, it usually just gets into a collision that brings it below the vapour point.

If the molecule happens to be at the edge of the body of water, it may go flying into free air, with nothing to stop it. Now it’s vaporous.

Raising the temperature of the water increases the number of molecules that are energetic enough to do this, should they find themselves at the surface.

At the boiling point, the energy of the average molecule is now high enough to break free of the surface. Pockets of vapor form within the body of water and expand because the edge of the bubble works the same as the air surface. More molecules are breaking free into the bubble than are condensing from the bubble into the surrounding liquid.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Incorrect, water vapor is the gaseous form of water and is invisible. Steam is also the invisible gaseous form of water, but the more useful definition of "steam" is the stuff you see coming out of a boiling kettle, which is liquid water suspended in the air because it's being cooled by the surrounding air outside of the kettle, aka "wet steam".

Well bugger me. I was lied to as a child.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't know if there are any blind goons following this thread, but here's a question for blind people: What do you think of blind fictional characters frequently having superpowers that make them, for most intents and purposes, not actually blind (e.g. Daredevil). Hell, they often have "sight" that's superior to sighted people. Is it a fun fantasy? An upsetting misrepresentation? Both? Thanks!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't know if there are any blind goons following this thread, but here's a question for blind people: What do you think of blind fictional characters frequently having superpowers that make them, for most intents and purposes, not actually blind (e.g. Daredevil). Hell, they often have "sight" that's superior to sighted people. Is it a fun fantasy? An upsetting misrepresentation? Both? Thanks!

I remember an A/T of a blind goon basically saying that they didn't identify or really care about any fictional depictions of blind people, including Daredevil.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I seem to recall a post this week about how to easily archive threads here and zip them. Can anyone direct me to that?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

El_Elegante posted:

I seem to recall a post this week about how to easily archive threads here and zip them. Can anyone direct me to that?

You're probably thinking of this one. I'll just quote it, since that's how it's been passed around:

quote:

A while ago, some goon wrote a thread scraper for SA.

I forked the code and fixed the error messages, then did it again when chrome started hating on http connections or something. It's now the single thing I have available on github, because it would be rude not to let the orginal author know that somebody still loves his dead gay code:

https://github.com/Fumblemouse/SA-Archiving-Tool

To use:

Hit the big green Clone button and download it as a zip file.

Extract the zip file somewhere on your local hard drive.

In Chrome, go Settings -> More Tools -> Extensions and flick the Developer Mode switch on the top right.

There should now be an option to Load Unpacked on the left. Ignoring the untold comedy potential for that phrase, click the option and find the folder you extracted the zip to - by default, SA-Archiving-Tool-master. Select that folder and click the Open button.

All going well you should now have a hard-to-see SA icon on the chrome extension bar. If you visit a SA thread with a thread ID, eg https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3903748 the icon should now be clickable with a single option...Archive.

Click that link, and your local PC will think for a while, depending on your local tubespeed, then display a single page with the entire thread on it. CTRL+S or Rightclick Save As and save it whereever you want. WebPage, Complete will save images also.

Because nothing in life is easy, the saved page's HTML CSS tags refers to something set up by the chrome extension, so it will look a bit crappy in another browser or if you remove the extension. This can be fixed by changing the CSS reference in the Saved As HTML file to the files in the /archive folder from the extracted zipfile - or you could copy the /archive css files into the HTML file's folder and just have the tags as direct links to files (no folder references)

Go crazy!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

El_Elegante posted:

Here's a thread with that and another script for it where you can ask for help, report bugs, see what's already archived etc

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm looking for a good podcast/music app. Android OS version 10. What I want is something that will subscribe and download podcasts, but also play mp3s stored on my phone. I would also like it to give me controls to fast forward/rewind 30 seconds rather than simply skipping back and forth between tracks. I think there was something I didn't like in the Google Play Music interface, but that's been 5-6 years and maybe it's improved.

Right now for podcasts I'm using podbean and while I mostly like it the program likes to quit unexpectedly. I can deal with it if it's at the end of an episode, but often, randomly in the middle of a podcast the whole program just stops. It's a new phone so I kind of doubt any malware at work.

I have a generic "Music Player" app for playing songs, and it's OK, but it only has a skip function (no seek, unless I pull up the full app, go to the playtime bar and try and pinpoint where to go to). Otherwise, the only other problem is that it will get priority if I connect to a bluetooth speaker. So if I play a song and switch to podcasts and then get into my car, the music app takes priority. I have to completely kill the music player, then start the podcast.

If there is some app that can manage both things at once, I'd like to hear about it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

CzarChasm posted:

I'm looking for a good podcast/music app. Android OS version 10. What I want is something that will subscribe and download podcasts, but also play mp3s stored on my phone. I would also like it to give me controls to fast forward/rewind 30 seconds rather than simply skipping back and forth between tracks. I think there was something I didn't like in the Google Play Music interface, but that's been 5-6 years and maybe it's improved.

Right now for podcasts I'm using podbean and while I mostly like it the program likes to quit unexpectedly. I can deal with it if it's at the end of an episode, but often, randomly in the middle of a podcast the whole program just stops. It's a new phone so I kind of doubt any malware at work.

I have a generic "Music Player" app for playing songs, and it's OK, but it only has a skip function (no seek, unless I pull up the full app, go to the playtime bar and try and pinpoint where to go to). Otherwise, the only other problem is that it will get priority if I connect to a bluetooth speaker. So if I play a song and switch to podcasts and then get into my car, the music app takes priority. I have to completely kill the music player, then start the podcast.

If there is some app that can manage both things at once, I'd like to hear about it.

Podcast Addict

E: I'm not sure how fully fleshed out its music player is but I know it can play individual files. I'd assume it can handle playlists.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
what's the post where it says cowboy burgers are light a meat loaf between asscheeks?

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

CzarChasm posted:

I think Pocket Casts should be able to do all that

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
My apologies, Goons Are Great, I somehow missed a chunk of the page where you said you were doing an ant thread. I discovered this because someone in there quoted you from this thread and I followed it back here and I was like ok wait I never read this.

Anyway, fascinating and terribly entertaining thread, as well as the one in byob, thanks!

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

dokmo posted:

In the US, international phone calling from home wasn't available widespread until the 70s I believe, so it would be unlikely for the two cities you mentioned in the 60s. The way to make a phone call if you had to is to call from a hotel that has international calling to another hotel. The price would be very high, say 50 dollars for a 3 minute call in 2020 money (just guessing, but I'm sure I'm within an order of magnitude).

Thanks for answering. Is it the sort of thing you'd have to schedule in advance, like an appointment?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

regulargonzalez posted:

Podcast Addict

E: I'm not sure how fully fleshed out its music player is but I know it can play individual files. I'd assume it can handle playlists.

It's not robust, but it has a music player, can do playlists and can mix downloaded mp3s and podcasts. It makes a hell of a lot better music player than Spotify does a podcast player.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
what's the best sunscreen you can find in Wal-Mart? in terms of protection and how good it is for your skin

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NotNut posted:

what's the best sunscreen you can find in Wal-Mart? in terms of protection and how good it is for your skin

See if any of those are at your local Walmart. I like the Coppertone stuff.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-sunscreen/
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-face-sunscreens/

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Karenina posted:

Thanks for answering. Is it the sort of thing you'd have to schedule in advance, like an appointment?

Jumping in to say likely so. The long-distance lines (“trunk lines”) had limited capacity in those days, even in the US (which had the most robust telephone system back then).

There were also public “call offices” in Dublin at that time, since the waiting list for private telephones was extremely long, so that’s another option. I can’t say for sure if there was something similar in Vienna.

In general, the telephone service in Ireland was absolute poo poo well up into the 1980s.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

A regular electricity plan is at 8.7 cents.

I can also get a free weekend plan at 11 cents.

Which plan will save me more money?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'd imagine that depends entirely on how much and when you use electricity. You'll need to track your usage and do calculations in Excel to get an accurate answer.

E: but if you use exactly the same amount of electricity every single day, the plans are almost exactly equal. So, on a typical weekend day if you use more power than on a typical weekday, go for the free weekend plan

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 9, 2020

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Bioshuffle posted:

A regular electricity plan is at 8.7 cents.

I can also get a free weekend plan at 11 cents.

Which plan will save me more money?

Do you work from home or are at home a lot during the week? If yes, then go with th 8.7 plan. Otherwise you spend a good chunk of your day during the week at work, and all weekend at home, so the 11 plan could save you more.

What about things like air conditioning or other energy guzzlers? If those run all the time, even when you weren't home then the cheaper plan makes sense.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This evening I focused my brain to an extent that I could think far clearer than usual. And then immediately got inflammatory-feeling migraines above my eyes, as if my body is refusing to let me reach my full thinking capacity. What's going on?

(I have high functioning autism and narcolepsy)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Grouchio posted:

This evening I focused my brain to an extent that I could think far clearer than usual.
I think before anyone can even try to answer your question you're going to have to explain what you mean by this.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Are you focusing your eyes perhaps? You might just be straining them

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Grouchio posted:

This evening I focused my brain to an extent that I could think far clearer than usual. And then immediately got inflammatory-feeling migraines above my eyes, as if my body is refusing to let me reach my full thinking capacity. What's going on?

(I have high functioning autism and narcolepsy)

Given that you have narcolepsy, the pain from focusing just might be something your brain does differently than most brains. Alternately as other posters have said it could be muscle strain from scowling or staring. If you were using substances to enhance your clarity though, my first blame for a headache would go to those.

You can always try the experimental method- see if repeating the experience results in headaches. It might be a good idea to watch yourself in the mirror and that way you can see if you are scowling or have tension in your face, and later try to repeat the experiment without focusing but while making that face or scowling to see if that still causes the headache.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dumb question, but how were you breathing? Could definitely contribute to a headache if you were clenching your diaphragm or holding your breath.

Tiggum posted:

I think before anyone can even try to answer your question you're going to have to explain what you mean by this.

I'm guessing this was an attempt at meditation but phrased... differently.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Is there a thread for Excel questions, or can I ask here?

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
You can ask pretty much anything here, even if there's another thread for it you'll just get directed there if nobody in this one knows.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Drimble Wedge posted:

Is there a thread for Excel questions, or can I ask here?

The Cavern of COBOL › Small Excel Question Not Worth Its Own Thread

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
When it comes to construction projects, what’s generally stipulated in the contract for when a project goes over budget? Like when you hear stories about the Big Dig in Boston going from a projected $10 billion to a final cost of $20 billion, does the city have any recourse against the primary contractor, or is it more “stuff happens, you know the risk”?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Am I mistaken or was there a thread about reading the Bible in here at one point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

owlhawk911 posted:

you can take apart most things, and a lot of the time all they need is cleaned. like the guy a couple pages ago with the broken keyboard lol

it's how i get most of my treasures :ssh:

Meh, I took it apart and cleaned it. That wasn't the problem. Also, it wasn't even dirty inside, just the top was due for a wipe down with a damp cloth. I don't eat food on it or anything. But I did buy it years ago as a refurbished model, so that was likely part of the issue. But dirt/crumbs inside didn't instantaneously set a bunch of macros.

Now I'm using an ancient Dynex keyboard that works flawlessly so whatever

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 10, 2020