Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

36% of renters could not pay rent also. a third of america homeless in a few months.

What caught my eye is that 15% of the 100k earners didn't pay anything?

How is that possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Mozi posted:

question: if it's so easy to do these things, why is the person writing the columns/headlines about this method still working there instead of becoming a multimillionaire?

They're 32, dumbass.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i can't think of anything better to turbo-charge populist politics than to have a whole bunch of people kicked out of their homes to satisfy the financial needs of a relatively small group of people

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It's going to gently caress over a lot of seemingly well-off boomers too.

The bargain made for that generation from the 70's on was that wages weren't going to go up anymore, but in exchange housing prices would. So if you bought a home in 1975 you never really cared that your wage actually had less earning power when you paid off your mortgage than when you got it, you could pocket the difference and more from the sale of your home.

Reverse mortgages staved that particularly grenade's explosion off a bit but we're going to hit a point within this crisis where this person can't cash out the 'value' of their home without taking a massive bath on selling it, and they can't afford to stay in it. Banks don't care about owning property, they care about the financialization possibilities and income streams from loan agreements.

it owns i can't wait for the boomers to be poor. lol you thought you saw some poo poo when they were told to put on a mask

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fish of hemp posted:

How is that possible?

some people with high income also carry huge credit balances and getting laid off/furloughed means all their poo poo falls down goes boom

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

FAUXTON posted:

some people with high income also carry huge credit balances and getting laid off/furloughed means all their poo poo falls down goes boom

yeah I'd estimate that between 30 and 40% of the high earner members at the country club I bartended at (minimum household net worth of $10 mil) were cash poor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tunicate posted:

landlords care more about power tripping than thy do about getting paid

there was an irish pub I used to go to that got locked up and closed for late rent the day before st paddy's day. And like, if they were actually trying to get money, they'd let the restaurant be open on the single most profitable day of the year.

Hell, the managers of my old apartment would "lose" my rent check on the regular, and would basically initiate eviction immediately. I had no qualms about not paying the last month's rent and leaving piss in the toilet to boil in the heat from the central boiler in the winter.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tunicate posted:

landlords care more about power tripping than thy do about getting paid

there was an irish pub I used to go to that got locked up and closed for late rent the day before st paddy's day. And like, if they were actually trying to get money, they'd let the restaurant be open on the single most profitable day of the year.

Yup, it's all about the flex.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/MycahABC13/status/1280927056742813696

October 1 is when we're going to see some serious poo poo, and not just from United.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Nonsense posted:

win the lottery and live with your parents

leave your door open

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

uncop posted:

What kind of third rate landlord hasn't been taking advantage of the low interest environment to get leveraged up to their gills? Buy housing on credit, make tenant pay the debt down. I'm not sure if landlords losing units to banks makes a huge difference in people's lives though.

So anyone have any figures of big landlord revenue/expenses?

Guess I want some kind of idea on how likely it is for banks to hand out loans versus taking over units and bursting the bubble.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fish of hemp posted:

How is that possible?

having a high income doesn't magically make you good at money. if anything it just makes you a juicier target

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Is it good I've paid off all my credit cards or should I be up to my eyeballs in debt like everyone else?

It's amazing how I see so many people around me with brand new cars and boats and RVs and I'm like 'wow I make the same money as you but I barely can afford a $4k used car to replace my beater with. How are you all doing it?' I feel like I'm missing out by being responsible since apparently money means nothing anymore.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lacrosse posted:

Is it good I've paid off all my credit cards or should I be up to my eyeballs in debt like everyone else?

It's amazing how I see so many people around me with brand new cars and boats and RVs and I'm like 'wow I make the same money as you but I barely can afford a $4k used car to replace my beater with. How are you all doing it?' I feel like I'm missing out by being responsible since apparently money means nothing anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_Twenties

Edit: But seriously it's all just about your expectations for how long you are going to live and your need to repay the debt. Same reason people here suggest using whatever retirement funds you might have right now to ensure the ability to survive in this precarious moment.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 8, 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Lacrosse posted:

don't worry, money is meaningless but number is eternal. number's gaping maw waits just below the cracking glass of our economy, patiently waiting for us to fall. number grows ever larger on those that fall off the edges and knows that the true feast is yet to come.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao and this is the median

imagine paying that much in charlotte to live on like park road near south meck

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Penisaurus Sex posted:

It's going to gently caress over a lot of seemingly well-off boomers too.

The bargain made for that generation from the 70's on was that wages weren't going to go up anymore, but in exchange housing prices would. So if you bought a home in 1975 you never really cared that your wage actually had less earning power when you paid off your mortgage than when you got it, you could pocket the difference and more from the sale of your home.

Reverse mortgages staved that particularly grenade's explosion off a bit but we're going to hit a point within this crisis where this person can't cash out the 'value' of their home without taking a massive bath on selling it, and they can't afford to stay in it. Banks don't care about owning property, they care about the financialization possibilities and income streams from loan agreements.
I can't remember the goons name but he's posted in here about working in part of the foreclosure industry so he can probably correct me, but there absolutely has to be weird asset price things banks do where they absolutely want empty houses to sit for years that they took back after a foreclosure and never mark down. Somehow it's better to pay tens of thousands on property tax for each house than it is to sell at a loss , it's wild.

I assume it's partly fear of creating more strategic defaults but also something about all the weird CDOs and other instruments based on all of this.

To be clear on how little banks want short term revenue, they evict every person they can who's in the banks houses post foreclosure. They'd rather winterize and leave it empty for 5 years than be a landlord , at any price

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 8, 2020

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Lacrosse posted:

isn’t the stat like on average people only pay off ~30% of their credit card balances every month or something wild?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fish of hemp posted:

How is that possible?

Tons of people are taking out forbearances or not paying rent just to see what kind of bargaining position they'll have in a few months. It makes sense since none of this stuff can hit your credit report under the cares act and why not roll the dice on a windfall

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
That has to be for the larger metro area right? I live in DC and just lofuckinl at finding a 2-bedroom apartment for $1,500/month

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Houses are investments! :downs:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

mastershakeman posted:

I can't remember the goons name but he's posted in here about working in part of the foreclosure industry so he can probably correct me, but there absolutely has to be weird asset price things banks do where they absolutely want empty houses to sit for years that they took back after a foreclosure and never mark down. Somehow it's better to pay tens of thousands on property tax for each house than it is to sell at a loss , it's wild.

I assume it's partly fear of creating more strategic defaults but also something about all the weird CDOs and other instruments based on all of this.

To be clear on how little banks want short term revenue, they evict every person they can who's in the banks houses post foreclosure. They'd rather winterize and leave it empty for 5 years than be a landlord , at any price

To my knowledge, this is because you can collateralize the real estate based on expected future growth in valuation (and rents, because the two are symbiotic) to leverage yourself into financial instruments.

I am probably wrong though.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

in tesla related news, nikola is up 34% after a sharp dip yesterday, because today the ceo went live on instagram to prove they have prototype that actually exists

https://twitter.com/nikolatrevor/status/1280910900929544192

current market cap? $19.5 billion lmao

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

To my knowledge, this is because you can collateralize the real estate based on expected future growth in valuation (and rents, because the two are symbiotic) to leverage yourself into financial instruments.

I am probably wrong though.

Sounds real dumb so youre probably correct

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
nvm

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

wait what, a fifth of renters regularly fail to pay their rent on a regular month in a regular year?

that's actually pretty amazing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ah so no big deal. Buy the number! UP UP UP

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm the normal state of affairs in which approximately 20% of people can't pay their rent.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
only 2% down with berniebucks activated :) september's gonna be so fun!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm the normal state of affairs in which approximately 20% of people can't pay their rent.

it can be a valid optimization result when you're trying to maximize total income and your tenants' ability to pay varies greatly, plus you can hit them with late fees and if they truly can't pay, evict them

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

fanfic insert posted:

Sounds real dumb so youre probably correct

It was described to me like this.

Imagine you're a rancher and you buy some new land. You survey your new purchase and, luckily, you have an ocean of oil underneath your feet. This ocean is worth $100,000,000 today.

What you do is go to a bank and collateralize that oil. You pledge 10% of that to the bank and get a credit line for the full value of the oil today, and then you take that liquid cash and invest it in financial instruments. The bank's propensity to lend you that credit against that collateral depends not on the value of the collateral today, but the assumed growth in the value of that collateral. So our rancher now has $100,000,000 to mess around with, has never drilled an inch into his land, and is only on the hook for $10,000,000.

Real estate works the same way.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

wait what, a fifth of renters regularly fail to pay their rent on a regular month in a regular year?

that's actually pretty amazing

a significant portion of teh population regularly pays late on various lines of credit, rent, etc. the majority of your calls i debt servicing are going to be to the same group of people

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I loving hate how everything in finance is "it's actually strategically better to collapse, killing hundreds of people below while the banks hang glide into the sunset, high fiving amidst the wails of the dying below." Success is all about failing in the good way to get rich and it loving blows

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Fish of hemp posted:

How is that possible?

Lots of people are terrible with money. Getting larger paychecks doesn't imply financial knowledge. Sometimes it really means being able to gently caress up even larger sums of money than a poor person could ever dream of.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Squizzle posted:

also ubi supports the arts in ways that a job guarantee doesnt

i have a lot of thoughts about arts, arts funding, etc, but not for right now. the brits gave theatres a fuckload of money: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/theater/theater-bailout-britain.html

which is good. obviously theatre is pretty hosed up, which leads to poo poo like this: https://www.weseeyouwat.com/

which i have my own thoughts about, mostly revolving around class and the few viable pipelines to become a boss at an arts org (be rich, poor ppl cant afford to work in arts -> hello)

Smythe fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 8, 2020

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Squizzle posted:

that honestly shouldnt matter insofar as a good system would be structured to care for everyone and not wonder if they can. some people cant, some people cant do any work they would find satisfying, some people just wanna sit at home all day and read reviews of other peoples fan-fiction. all of those people deserve decent lives and the essentials of dignity. even the fan-fiction review reader is gaining some sorta fourth-derivative understanding of something about humanity, and that has value in the world

i agree and think ud have to be a fkin monster to disagree.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

bag em and tag em posted:

I loving hate how everything in finance is "it's actually strategically better to collapse, killing hundreds of people below while the banks hang glide into the sunset, high fiving amidst the wails of the dying below." Success is all about failing in the good way to get rich and it loving blows

thats_capitalism.txt

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
there is that joke that people promoting a certain kind of luxury communism online believe that they're all going to be the Anime Curators and leave the ditch digging and other labour that helps maintain modernity to the Others, but just the ability to have the space for most people to figure out what you enjoy doing would probably be a seismic shift for humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1280940072423079938?s=19