Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He never got paid. He was a mid round rookie who then got suspended over and over.

6M in total earnings with talent like that. hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ah yes the well known money pit known as weed addiction

No, he’s an NFL player who was suspended repeatedly after being chewed up in an archaic system. Dude was a top talent who performed incredibly well and at every turn, the NFL failed him. He failed himself obviously but the nfls completely shameless actions towards that kid robbed us of a potential superstar.

2.5-3.5 million in cash ain’t poo poo spread across over 2-3 years in the NFL. especially when they’re performing at a top tier level - you have to assume you’ve got another 6-10 mil in cash coming your way (mostly because your agent keeps repeating it) and you got lost in the whole thing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Rodgers talk is really interesting because he's undeniably super good but when you think of him playing his best do you really think of him winning a game basically by himself? Or digging out of a double-digit hole if his defense doesn't step up? I don't, really.

Mahomes wins games basically by himself and I'll be surprised if that doesn't keep happening for years.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Guy played in 12 games in 2018 and made $92,942.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The 2015 Packers started 6-0. They played the Broncos (who also started 6-0) on a Sunday night and lost. That would also be the only game that season where Peyton looked like his old self.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Strobe posted:

Rodgers talk is really interesting because he's undeniably super good but when you think of him playing his best do you really think of him winning a game basically by himself? Or digging out of a double-digit hole if his defense doesn't step up? I don't, really.

Mahomes wins games basically by himself and I'll be surprised if that doesn't keep happening for years.

Yes, correct, this is how Seahawks fans, Packers fans, etc felt about our young SB winning QBs

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
https://twitter.com/byaustinmeek/status/1280882206660014082?s=21

Football coaches are several orders of magnitude stupider than coaches from other sport, I strongly feel this

Nov 6, 2002

NFL coaching is a very insular world that doesn't allow the most talented and brightest people to advance, despite what the league likes to claim.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The NFL is totally going to play games, crowds or not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Football coaches are several orders of magnitude stupider than coaches from other sport, I strongly feel this

To be fair Jim and John Harbaugh have been extremely weird and dumb for a very long time, even compared to the college football coach spectrum which is somehow worse than the NFL version.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Strobe posted:

As an unbiased observer who loves maholmes

Lol what. Green Bay was far less stacked than Mahomes’ Chiefs. They have an insane amount of weapons

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Ah yes the well known money pit known as weed addiction

Dude has said he's messed with coke among other things. This :hurr: weed poo poo can gently caress off

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Whenever I think about Gordon, Justin Blackmon also comes to mind. He was another incredible player who got destroyed by substance abuse (alcohol) from the same draft class.

Nov 6, 2002

Amy Pole Her posted:

As an unbiased observer who loves maholmes

Lol what. Green Bay was far less stacked than Mahomes’ Chiefs. They have an insane amount of weapons

Not to mention better coached.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Dude has said he's messed with coke among other things. This :hurr: weed poo poo can gently caress off

Don’t double down and dig deeper. Slips a slip. No big deal.

He’s never failed a test for anything other than weed. He’s admitted to trying blow, but he’s also said he used to take Xanax every day in college.... so you had a better argument saying Xanax over Coke, if you’re gonna try to somehow make what happened to him okay.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 8, 2020

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was gonna say weed seems to be the tip of the iceberg, who knows what is under the surface. Coke comes to mind but also if you start getting into prescription addictions yikes

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Bruce Arians seems to understand what's going to happen:

Bruce Arians posted:

"We've got to be careful." "The players, they're going to all get sick, that's for sure. It's just a matter of how sick they get."

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

SHOAH NUFF posted:

https://twitter.com/byaustinmeek/status/1280882206660014082?s=21

You would think he’d do anything to finally avoid losing to Ohio State

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

kiimo posted:

I was gonna say weed seems to be the tip of the iceberg, who knows what is under the surface. Coke comes to mind but also if you start getting into prescription addictions yikes

This was posted in the AFCE a while ago. It’s a complete recount of all his poo poo. Weed and Xanax seemed to be his main drivers, but man look at that timeline when he was growing up. That shits depressing

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline/amp

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Strobe posted:

Rodgers talk is really interesting because he's undeniably super good but when you think of him playing his best do you really think of him winning a game basically by himself? Or digging out of a double-digit hole if his defense doesn't step up?

Speaking as a fan of a division rival: yes.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
https://twitter.com/realmnchiefsfan/status/1280947949179043841?s=21

Mahomes in high school

Nov 6, 2002

NFL players always look like super heroes in highschool, that's not a Mahomes thing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Madden NFL 21 lookin’ okay.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Don’t double down and dig deeper. Slips a slip. No big deal.

He’s never failed a test for anything other than weed. He’s admitted to trying blow, but he’s also said he used to take Xanax every day in college.... so you had a better argument saying Xanax over Coke, if you’re gonna try to somehow make what happened to him okay.

I never said it was ok just that your dumb weed take was dumb. Dude's substance history is substantial and paying for his habits likely played a part in him getting to this point. Toss in him being in rehab for literally years at this point and that's a poo poo load of money.

https://www.gq.com/story/josh-gordon-nfl-2017-interview

quote:

Back when you were playing in the NFL, would you describe that person as a “functioning alcoholic”?

Highly functioning. For sure. [I] definitely pushed the limit. I don't know how I did it. It could be before games, it could be before practice, after practice. You see other guys kinda doing it, but I would take it to another level a lot of times. Feeling as though I was being enabled, I thought it was an okay thing to do: Well, this is the norm. And it wasn't. It definitely wasn't.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

quote:

Middle and high school — Gordon told GQ‘s Clay Skipper he first started self-medicating with Xanax, marijuana, and codeine in middle school. He said his initial usage stemmed from social awkwardness, anxiety, feelings of inadequacy, and “adolescent trauma-based fear.” According to Gordon, the drugs helped “numb those nerves so [he could] just function every day.” When he was in seventh grade, Gordon said he took a “whole bar” of Xanax and ended up “nodding off” and “drooling” in class. He said his peers started laughing at him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/28/josh-gordon-interview-cleveland-browns-nfl

quote:

He’s asking the football world not for a second chance but a ninth or 10th. He has been suspended by the NFL or by the Browns on five separate occasions since 2013, following failed tests for marijuana, codeine and alcohol.

Gordon says he smoked marijuana every day at Lamar and drank vodka from Minute Maid bottles during class. His junior year he started drinking codeine syrup mixed with soda—or “lean”—every night. Whenever someone offered, he’d pop Xanax, hydrocodone, oxycodone. Before football games he’d chug Mad Dog 20-20 straight out of the bottle just to see if he could play drunk.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Whenever I think about Gordon, Justin Blackmon also comes to mind. He was another incredible player who got destroyed by substance abuse (alcohol) from the same draft class.

Blackmon is somehow a sadder story. Whenever he comes up I think about the last story I saw about him a few years ago where everyone basically likes him as a person. But he's living in his small Oklahoma hometown and still going out and getting drunk as hell at like, Applebees or some poo poo, then getting arrested driving home drunk (without a license because this has been going on forever).

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I never said it was ok just that your dumb weed take was dumb. Dude's substance history is substantial and paying for his habits likely played a part in him getting to this point. Toss in him being in rehab for literally years at this point and that's a poo poo load of money.

https://www.gq.com/story/josh-gordon-nfl-2017-interview

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/09/18/josh-gordon-drugs-suspension-timeline

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/28/josh-gordon-interview-cleveland-browns-nfl

Yeah this. Its so so so sad and it really bums me out

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Stephen Jackson is getting roasted on twitter now.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

NFL players always look like super heroes in highschool, that's not a Mahomes thing.

Yeah that’s true, even D3 players look amazing at high school. It just looks like he hasn’t changed at all, that rollout 50 yards in the air is so nice. I know other QBs can do it too, especially Wilson Rodgers Wentz but I want it to be my QBs signature play

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Johnny Manziel's highschool tape was unbelievable

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Strobe posted:

Rodgers talk is really interesting because he's undeniably super good but when you think of him playing his best do you really think of him winning a game basically by himself? Or digging out of a double-digit hole if his defense doesn't step up?

Uh, yes and yes? Maybe not quite as much these days but over his career? Absolutely.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Alex Smith and Reggie Bush were on the same team in high school. That was not fair.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

Blackmon is somehow a sadder story. Whenever he comes up I think about the last story I saw about him a few years ago where everyone basically likes him as a person. But he's living in his small Oklahoma hometown and still going out and getting drunk as hell at like, Applebees or some poo poo, then getting arrested driving home drunk (without a license because this has been going on forever).

Originally the Bucs were going to draft Blackmon but they sent a scout to his local bar to see how many times he showed up in a week and he showed up 8 times.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I remember Noel Devine high school tapes and him looking like the best player ever

Joe McKnight too

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 8, 2020

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/TesslerSports/status/1280971446769070081?s=19

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Running backs need their own union

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
oh COME ON

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Spoeank posted:

oh COME ON

Don’t y’all have four RBs anyway?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tevin Coleman

Mostert to TB

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Silly Burrito posted:

Don’t y’all have four RBs anyway?

Jerick McKinnon doesn't count. It's Mostert/McKinnon/Coleman/Jeff Wilson with Hasty/Ahmed on the practice squad right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1280977409106341888?s=20