Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bust Rodd posted:

Look I know this an unpopular opinion more and more but straight up kids don’t need smartphones until they are old enough to pay for it themselves. Buy them Nokia burners from Wal*Mart so they can call and text their friends and parents or whatever but part of being a good parent moving forward has to be limiting your kids time online. Cyber Bullying literally never stops, and kids today are dumber than ever. Educators in High Schools have all but given up on fighting kids to get off their phones in class. I know I sound like an old man yelling at clouds but consider the fact that every tech billionaire from Steve Jobs to the Google guys to Bill Gates have extremely strict “no phones/no tablets” households for their own kids, because they see the data and the research and they know what it’s doing to your brain, and how it’s making you addicts to your glowing little square.

Sir this is a McDonald's drive thru

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
This isn't really the "child-rearing in a digital culture" thread so let's move on, because I feel like blaming children being exploited on their parents allowing screentime instead of blaming the exploiters and groomers is kind of grimy.

ImpAtom posted:

Novels rotted your brain and made you addicted.

My favorite permutation of this was this 18th century murder trial where a bohemian kind of arts-adjacent guy killed a few people and the narrative was "he read so many fictional tales that he forgot that he wasn't a fictional character and just went berserk." The anti-novel hysteria is so fascinating.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jordan7hm posted:

Also lol if you think taking away your 16 year old’s phone is going to be the thing that prevents them from loving, if they want to gently caress.

No one is concerned about "16 year olds loving", the problem is abusers exploiting the emotional vulnerabilities of said teens to control, groom and assault them.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

so let's move on

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sorry.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Has anyone outed Mike Mignola as a Bad Person yet :ohdear:

I love Hellboy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I love Hellboy

Not to my knowledge.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

I love Hellboy
He ignored the allegations against Scott Allie for years so it depends on how high your bar is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love Hellboy

So far the worst anyone has said is that he didn't speak up about lovely behavior (which is true of what seems to be a large majority of comic creators but that doesn't excuse it.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Guy Davis doesn't say anything nice in this tweet:
https://twitter.com/GuyDavisART/status/1276228339942985737?s=20

quote:

I quit the series in 2011 because of the toxic behavior of Allie, Mignola, Arcudi and cut all contact.

Arcudi has talked about having bad blood with Mignola and DH over the 2019 movie and royalties, not sure who's in the right there and am having trouble finding any articles (other than a Reddit post linking to a deleted tweet).

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

ImpAtom posted:

So far the worst anyone has said is that he didn't speak up about lovely behavior (which is true of what seems to be a large majority of comic creators but that doesn't excuse it.)
Allie was one of Mignola's main collaborators and continued to be so until the latest allegations. It's not like they're just two guys working in the same industry like you're trying to present it.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Mignola definitely looked the other way on Allie, and continued to work with him long after the first biting allegations came out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Threep posted:

Allie was one of Mignola's main collaborators and continued to be so until the latest allegations. It's not like they're just two guys working in the same industry like you're trying to present it.

Yeah, I phrased it super bad. I am sorry. You are 100% correct

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Yeah, Mignola was at least an enabler.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea its a bit different if you're working for a guy who is a creep, because you either risk sacrifiing your career to outsomeone, or you stay quiet and hopefully get enough clout that you can come out against them in the future.

It would probably help a lot if comics wasn't such an old boys network.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think a big issue is that there are so few publishers you can realistically work for. You've got DC, Marvel, then I guess Image, and then a bunch of very small companies that mostly serve tiny niches using movie IPs that have fallen by the wayside. If there were more options for steady employment people wouldn't be scared of saying the wrong thing about the wrong man and getting blackballed. That's not really as much of a concern for people in say... novels.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A complaint I've seen from the Ellis revaluations is that there isn't a standard process for getting into comics like there is with novels. It's all about knowing someone who knows someone.

Or working alone for years to build up one's own audience, but may as well just do your own thing at that point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I think a big issue is that there are so few publishers you can realistically work for. You've got DC, Marvel, then I guess Image, and then a bunch of very small companies that mostly serve tiny niches using movie IPs that have fallen by the wayside. If there were more options for steady employment people wouldn't be scared of saying the wrong thing about the wrong man and getting blackballed. That's not really as much of a concern for people in say... novels.

This isn't to dismiss anyone's pain or trauma, but I bet there's as many skeletons in Harpers or whoever's closet as (Jesus Christ could they have picked a more indicting name) Dark Horse.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Skwirl posted:

This isn't to dismiss anyone's pain or trauma, but I bet there's as many skeletons in Harpers or whoever's closet as (Jesus Christ could they have picked a more indicting name) Dark Horse.
Prose publishing absolutely has constant appalling scandals. The power dynamics between ever-changing unpaid interns and career-shaping, globally-connected editors create a world where abuse of all kinds is normalized. Just last year it turned out Chizine, a respected indy horror publisher, was basically a cult preying on fresh graduates.

From High Fever Books:

quote:

I had my own room at their house, which I stayed in at least 1-2 nights a week. We stayed up late watching horror movies, Sandra and I would eat cake from the 24hr bakery at midnight, then in the morning I’d have coffee and oatmeal with Brett, before heading into the living room to start my work day. I’d spend mornings sleeping off a hangover after parties or events, then we’d talk about the people from the night before over lunch. They told me they loved me, they called me their daughter, they said I was family. And I really thought I was.

quote:

And so I continued to just sit, and listen, with an uncomfortable smile pasted on my face, when I was hit on by male authors more than 15 years my senior. I smiled when hanging out with the inner circle and they made jokes about my body. I grimaced when one of the authors caressed my rear end in full view of all my colleagues in the crowded con suite, but didn’t move away. I dressed accordingly at events when Sandra told me the only thing that mattered was “tits and teeth”. I nervously laughed along with everyone else when I was the only woman in a room full of men, and one of them started making rape jokes about me.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

That's absolutely an issue in poetry as well, not even counting the unsavory history of The Poetry Foundation.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

quote:

I had my own room at their house, which I stayed in at least 1-2 nights a week. We stayed up late watching horror movies, Sandra and I would eat cake from the 24hr bakery at midnight, then in the morning I’d have coffee and oatmeal with Brett, before heading into the living room to start my work day. I’d spend mornings sleeping off a hangover after parties or events, then we’d talk about the people from the night before over lunch. They told me they loved me, they called me their daughter, they said I was family. And I really thought I was.

because that's the kind of language you want in a professional environment, right? jesus wept

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skwirl posted:

A dark horse is an unknown competitor that pulls off a surprise victory. I've never heard the phrase used in any other way. Can you explain what is "indicting" about saying "we're not the Big Two but we're going to succeed"?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I've hear the Young Adult novel genre is a nightmare to work for in general, not just from the publishers, but also other authors just being poo poo people.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
There's a good summary of the endless comics industry shitbirdery at the Daily Beast today.
Inside the Comic Book Industry’s Sexual Misconduct Crisis—and the Ugly, Exploitative History That Got It Here

quote:

Harassers don’t simply prey on those made vulnerable by precarity: they actively make the spaces and institutions they inhabit more precarious, and keep workers disorganized and afraid to the company’s financial benefit. Think of it, if you like, as grooming on a grand scale: the cultivation of a workforce that can be trusted to go along with sexual and economic exploitation—to grin through clenched teeth, to say nothing out of fear—and drive out those who can’t. 

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

SoManyOfUs.com is live, a website documenting Ellis’s 20 years of abuse (CW for sexual abuse, gaslighting, etc). 60+ people sharing stories of how Ellis abused them, as well as helpful resources.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Good extensive email about Ellis.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jul/13/women-speak-out-about-warren-ellis-transmetropolitan

quote:

These women do not accuse Ellis of illegal behaviour. But they describe their shock at the sheer magnitude of his pursuits, feeling heartbroken when he stopped talking to them, or angry after discovering he was sending many of them identical messages. What they want now is to start a conversation about how men with power and influence treat young women as part of a culture of impunity granted to celebrities – and not merely those who appear in Hollywood blockbusters or play Madison Square Garden.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

I've hear the Young Adult novel genre is a nightmare to work for in general, not just from the publishers, but also other authors just being poo poo people.

Follow literally any YA author on Twitter and you will see this is the case

Then immediately unfollow them because they're all Chuck Wendig-level terrible posters

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Clipperton posted:

Follow literally any YA author on Twitter and you will see this is the case

Then immediately unfollow them because they're all Chuck Wendig-level terrible posters

Except for rick riordan, who seems very good.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Except for rick riordan, who seems very good.

Good point, anyone who made their bones pre-Twitter is generally a lot better, with a few spectacular exceptions (Rowling lol)

e: better posters that is, they're probably still all predators

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 13, 2020

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What about KA Applegate?

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

What about KA Applegate?

Oh God, what did she do

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Emily Duncan seems pretty chill. Mostly she tweets about her writing/editing process, books she's read and liked, and music.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Clipperton posted:

Oh God, what did she do

Nothing, she’s cool as hell.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Applegate has mentioned being pro-trans/pro-queer. I think her daughter is trans.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Squidster posted:

There's a good summary of the endless comics industry shitbirdery at the Daily Beast today.
Inside the Comic Book Industry’s Sexual Misconduct Crisis—and the Ugly, Exploitative History That Got It Here

This is devastating. It connects a bunch of factors I knew about in this messed up industry to things I hadn't. It's a well argued systemic explanation of the problems.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ben Garrison is suing the anti-defamation league, because

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/17344321/1/garrison-v-anti-defamation-league/

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Is Garrison representing himself, or did a lawyer actually have to type that out with a straight face?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

bunnyofdoom posted:

What about KA Applegate?

Applegate owns
https://twitter.com/MatthewPCrowley/status/1202981992058540032?s=20

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Tsilkani posted:

Is Garrison representing himself, or did a lawyer actually have to type that out with a straight face?

He has the same lawyer Devin Nunes (R-CA 22) used to sue the Twitter account pretending to be his cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Does anyone know what’s going on with Gail Simone and her alleged ‘whisper network’? I’ve got an acquaintance in discord that’s been going on today about how trash she for using it to ‘cancel male comic writers’ but the only site I can find talking about it is Bleeding Fool and, well, they’re not getting clicks from me.

Is this some stupid new conspiracy bullshit I’ve missed?