Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I dunno who needs to know this, but if you'rr in my neck of the woods, the San Leandro Costco has toilet paper, about six pallets half-depleted, and their hours are back to closing at 8:30.

A refreshing change of pace for people who actually legit are running out of TP and need it now.

edit: When I say half-depleted, I mean like this:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or you could just go to most corner stores.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
lol, this guy

https://twitter.com/TweetBottNBC/status/1260996253040758784

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was just at the caltrain safeway in soma they're pretty well stocked on TP and other paper stuff. First time in a long time I saw it more than half full of stock.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What's the word I'm looking for? Serendipity?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

obi_ant posted:

What's the word I'm looking for? SerenDBIpity?

fixed

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
More a point of curiosity than anything but, are there any particular knife sharpening services that are known to be good/to be avoided in the bay?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

AnonSpore posted:

More a point of curiosity than anything but, are there any particular knife sharpening services that are known to be good/to be avoided in the bay?

I've heard good things about bernal cutlery

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

There was a knife sharpener who would set up shop in Noe Valley on 24th St Saturday mornings. Don't know if he's still going but I went to him for years

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I’ve had good experience with Bernal Cutlery as a lay person - can ask around with my chef friends if you’re industry

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I am definitely not industry, I just wanna get my knives sharpened by a professional who knows what they're doing once, so I have a point of reference to work from when I try to do my own. Also drat, I live in San Mateo so that's pretty far away.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

:welp: I got sharpening stones since Bernal was backlogged. Definitely tricky doing it yourself the first time but kinda relaxing

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean, im not a doctor but i don't think dolphin meat is edible?

[edit: wrong thread sorry]

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Mr. Steak posted:

i mean, im not a doctor but i don't think dolphin meat is edible?

[edit: wrong thread sorry]

Totally is depending on amounts of mercury you want to expose yourself to. I’ve had whale steak, whale carpaccio, whale nigiri and walrus steak in Iceland.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Cove is a documentary you might want to watch regarding dolphin and other cetacean hunt in Japan

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I had knives sharpened at Bernal and it was very expensive and I’m not sure it was worth it at all! Are your knives really expensive or something? If not, you’d probably be better off learning how and then getting new knives once you know.

Don’t eat whale or dolphins.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

I am definitely not industry, I just wanna get my knives sharpened by a professional who knows what they're doing once, so I have a point of reference to work from when I try to do my own. Also drat, I live in San Mateo so that's pretty far away.

I'm in San Mateo too and I've someone who I use exclusively (not in the biz or anything, but always really like how he treats my knives). It's not by hand as I believe Bernal is, but he's great. Otherwise I've heard fine things about Perfect Edge.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://mobilesharpening.org/drop-off-locations

I think these are the guys I handed my knives off to last time, my dropoff location was the Alameda one, (I haven't lived in Alameda in almost a decade now, but Encinal Market is where they would pick up my knives) and hey, what do you know, they have a San Mateo drop location.

If you want to give me a few days, I can swing back through there and ask if they were the old guys or if the owner changed or anything in the interval.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 9, 2020

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Carillon posted:

I'm in San Mateo too and I've someone who I use exclusively (not in the biz or anything, but always really like how he treats my knives). It's not by hand as I believe Bernal is, but he's great. Otherwise I've heard fine things about Perfect Edge.

I am also in the San Mateo Dull Knife Club. Who’s your guy?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://mobilesharpening.org/drop-off-locations

I think these are the guys I handed my knives off to last time, my dropoff location was the Alameda one, (I haven't lived in Alameda in almost a decade now, but Encinal Market is where they would pick up my knives) and hey, what do you know, they have a San Mateo drop location.

If you want to give me a few days, I can swing back through there and ask if they were the old guys or if the owner changed or anything in the interval.

I've got nothing on my hands but time, as I'm sure everyone else does. I'd appreciate it but don't go out of your way to do it or anything.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Steely Dad posted:

Lemme check that he's working right now and will let you know soon!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Steely Dad posted:

Messaged you both his number!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm in the mood for some kind of heavy, dense, coma-inducing chocolate mousse pie, no thanks to this reblogged image off an internet acquaintance's Tumblr.

I'll be going down 880 from Oakland to San Jose on an errand Wednesday, if anyone want to pimp their favorite bakery or whatever.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 26, 2020

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Crab getting delayed again, they're saying maybe the 24th the boats can go out, but maybe not until the new year. I usually look forward to crab got new years so hoping they can go out soon.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I hope we don’t wind up in a situation where there’s no crab season, since that’s what keeps them from growing overlarge and running wild in the region’s streets…

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
They're kicking 2000 unhoused out of their hotels but god damnit I deserve some crab

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

They're kicking 2000 unhoused out of their hotels but god damnit I deserve some crab

Ugh that's lovely and I hadn't heard that.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
What? I thought there was just a big to-do and a BOS vote and FEMA funding so they weren’t kicking anyone out? Where are you getting that from?

E: sorry, this is the food thread. We are sad about no crab but we are still going to do spicy seafood boil for holiday meal, what are y’all making?

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What? I thought there was just a big to-do and a BOS vote and FEMA funding so they weren’t kicking anyone out? Where are you getting that from?

E: sorry, this is the food thread. We are sad about no crab but we are still going to do spicy seafood boil for holiday meal, what are y’all making?

Let’s keep it on track unless you wanna open your own doors.

The House Closed a while back, huge loss for SF.

mls fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 24, 2020

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mls posted:

Let’s keep it on track unless you wanna open your own doors.

What?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hog island ships oysters so we got done of those in the fridge, excited as I haven't had an oyster since at least the start of this whole thing.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Got a 3 rib roast that i've broken down, going to do a roast on the grill tomorrow and make a kickass gravy. Served with brussel sprouts and potatoes gratin.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Crab boats finally went out! Looking forward to actually buying some, nice thing to look forward to given everything else going on.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wise fwom yo gwave, thread

Anyone got a list of good bakeries in the bay? I never paid much attention to breads but my partner was seized by a sudden hankering for croissants. The only bakery I recognize in CA is Bouchon but that's 1) in Yountville and 2) owned by an rear end, so I'd rather not if I can help it.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

AnonSpore posted:

Wise fwom yo gwave, thread

Anyone got a list of good bakeries in the bay? I never paid much attention to breads but my partner was seized by a sudden hankering for croissants. The only bakery I recognize in CA is Bouchon but that's 1) in Yountville and 2) owned by an rear end, so I'd rather not if I can help it.

There's some pretty good bakeries all over the bay, was there a specific area you were looking at?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Within San Francisco:

The supposed best croissants are at Arsicault Bakery. They are pretty good, there's always a long line, and they basically just do croissants and little else. Croissants are notoriously hard to get right.

For other baked goods, Arizmendi's is very good. I reckon the best location is the Sunset one, but they're all good. Their pizza (which changes flavors daily) is always excellent; normally they do slices but during Covid they only do full/half pies or light-baked ones that you finish baking at home.

Acme is good for loaves. They have a shop in Embarcadero, and you can also find them in many of the more high-end grocery stores including Whole Foods.

b. patisserie on California & Divisadero do excellent baked desserts & pastries.

Tartine is always super popular but I don't really understand why.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I don't know if this counts as bakery or not, but my favorite bagel place boichik bagel just got named the best bagels in america by the new york times (☠️💀☠️ my weekend orders)

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I am a fan of manresa bread, specifically their kouign amann. They have locations in Los Gatos, Los Altos, and Campbell.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

If you're on the mid-peninsula I really really like Backhaus. Their pastries are on point and the bread is super good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

minato posted:

Tartine is always super popular but I don't really understand why.

You can now get union-made morning buns from Tartine

I've moved back to the city now after a stint in LA. My whole food context was basically mission/divis/soma, and i'm now in the sunset (Taraval/19th). What's good out here? I love all cuisines but i'm really hankering for some vietnamese