Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I pulled up between two cars at a red light once in Chicago; one was turning left and one was turning right. The guy in the car turning right rolled down his window and gave me a lecture, telling me that I could be "killed" or "arrested." I just nodded behind my mirrored visor and rode off. Honestly, both of those potential consequences seemed a bit extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Verman posted:

As someone who bicycle commuted for a decade in Chicago, lane splitting brings up a lot of horrific flashbacks of getting doored. It's engrained in my brain to stay three feet or more from static cars for that reason.

A lot of people don't even know the laws regarding the legality of lane splitting in their states and get really pissed when they see people doing it. I've seen guys in big gently caress off pickup trucks pull over to block people coming up behind them. I definitely understand filtering up towards the front at a red light to avoid getting rear ended but going through narrow cars at anything more than a crawling pace makes me pucker. Not necessarily against it or for it, but it scares the piss out of me.

In the UK cars will actually move out of the way to let bikes split past sometimes, it's pretty great. Unfortunately you still can't split everywhere because a lot of the roads are too narrow when they're backed up with traffic, especially if you get two fat SUVs next to each other.

I got doored once on a bicycle, but that was an accident :shobon:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

How are 2 strokes for dual sports? Do you have to carry a squeeze bottle of oil when you fill up when out and about? A cheap KDX 200 popped up but got me thinking about fuel :confused:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My dummy understanding is that the concerns are more about the long germ engine life of 2 strokes, but I'm with you, I'd like to hear more about it from someone that knows.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

kloa posted:

How are 2 strokes for dual sports? Do you have to carry a squeeze bottle of oil when you fill up when out and about? A cheap KDX 200 popped up but got me thinking about fuel :confused:

How cheap? Who cares, buy it.

Bikes around me have skyrocketed since covid. Dealerships are out of dirtbikes. People see driving from Seattle to Montana to buy new dirt bikes. Used market is inflated like 200%. I'm seeing used cr80s and TTR150s from 2006 selling for what they paid brand new back in 2006.

Kdx 200s are legendary trail bikes. If you really want to do a lot of true dual sport (50/50) riding, mixing gas and oil with precision will be a bit of an inconvenience on the go if needed (not impossible, just carry a small thing of oil) but if you're using it as a trail bike that occasionally gets on the road, you can't go wrong. I know some people carry a bottle of premix in their bad while riding. Two strokes require more frequent top end rebuilds but they're much easier and cheaper to do than four strokes. My only concern would be finding parts. This is where I just don't know enough about the kdx. They might be easy to source parts for but they're also pretty scarce on the used market. People are buying up all the parts bikes for when their bikes fail.

I will say I don't see them for sale hardly often/if ever. Honda xr200s are in the same boat. I just don't see them sit on the used market.

Buy it. You can probably buy it, ride it for a year and sell it for what you paid.

dirt bike magazine kdx200

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I did the sheetiron 300 on a 300exc that got like 22mpg. To make sure I could get 100 miles between fillups I had to keep a backpack with a 2 gallon dromedary bag of fuel strapped to the rear end and kept a quick mix bottle of oil in a side case

use the marks on the bottle to coincide with how much fuel you put in, hopefully beforehand so the fuel mixes it around as it enters. Like it's fun for the concept to do but, like, I'll never do it again because it was annoying. Though if you seize a piston on a 2 stroke you could realistically carry a spare piston and cylinder and do a trailside swap in a couple hours.

But yeah buy it everyone should ride a 2 stroke for a while at some point they're a lot of fun. You will definitely need to keep a bottle of measurable oil with you for filling up if you're going further than a gas tank and don't have a pre-mixed fuel canister waiting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I personally have spent hundreds of hours on two stroke trail and dirt bikes out on trails that were pretty far out from civilization.

My main concerns were the same as they were on any bike, losing a chain, snapping a cable or blowing a tire way out in the middle of nowhere.

In my experience if you make sure your two stroke is jetted properly and getting the right premix, it will last a good long while.

The two strokes I’ve had fail on me have given me a good amount of warning. I’ve had a crank seal go out and lost a crank bearing but the bike pushed oil out of the overflow for two weeks prior.

I have also ridden a 90cc two stroke from Milwaukee to Chicago and back so I’m a big proponent of “take care of your two strokes and they’ll be fine”

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

cover the clutch and you’ll be golden dual sporting a 2t

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I rode my plated 300 xcw on a dual sport ride and hated it. Was not geared for going 55+mph constantly, poo poo was buzzy and painful for my hands after like 20 miles

Also I ran out of fuel very quickly and had to glide it downhill in neutral back to the parking lot lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Verman posted:

How cheap? Who cares, buy it.

Bikes around me have skyrocketed since covid. Dealerships are out of dirtbikes. People see driving from Seattle to Montana to buy new dirt bikes. Used market is inflated like 200%. I'm seeing used cr80s and TTR150s from 2006 selling for what they paid brand new back in 2006.

Kdx 200s are legendary trail bikes. If you really want to do a lot of true dual sport (50/50) riding, mixing gas and oil with precision will be a bit of an inconvenience on the go if needed (not impossible, just carry a small thing of oil) but if you're using it as a trail bike that occasionally gets on the road, you can't go wrong. I know some people carry a bottle of premix in their bad while riding. Two strokes require more frequent top end rebuilds but they're much easier and cheaper to do than four strokes. My only concern would be finding parts. This is where I just don't know enough about the kdx. They might be easy to source parts for but they're also pretty scarce on the used market. People are buying up all the parts bikes for when their bikes fail.

I will say I don't see them for sale hardly often/if ever. Honda xr200s are in the same boat. I just don't see them sit on the used market.

Buy it. You can probably buy it, ride it for a year and sell it for what you paid.

dirt bike magazine kdx200

To elaborate on this: yes you can run a kdx200 fine on the street but they are painfully, devastatingly slow. Like 4t 125 levels of slow, especially when you fit longer sprockets so it isn't screaming it's guts out all the time. Is it's gonna be predominantly a road bike it isn't worth it at all IMO but for the trail they're excellent. Parts are very easy to get in my experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pistons and cylinders being wear items doesn’t keep people from buying Italian bikes and it shouldn’t keep you from buying a two stroke

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Well jokes on me for asking and not just throwing money at the KDX the second I saw it since it’s gone :downs:

I’d like my next dual sport to be 25% road and 75% trails but it’ll realistically be more like 50-75% roads and the rest trails as a weekend warrior between work and 6 months of winter here.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

2t chat: was it Cagiva or Gilera that made the 2t ds/adv bike back in the late 80s or early 90s? A smaller one, may have been a 250?

Blast chat: I want to see Zach and Ari do a trip on Blasts for Throttle Out or On Two Wheels. I still have never ridden one but still think my response to it would be the same as to a KLR650. I.e., well, this sucks, but at least I’m on a motorcycle still.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

2t chat: was it Cagiva or Gilera that made the 2t ds/adv bike back in the late 80s or early 90s? A smaller one, may have been a 250?

Blast chat: I want to see Zach and Ari do a trip on Blasts for Throttle Out or On Two Wheels. I still have never ridden one but still think my response to it would be the same as to a KLR650. I.e., well, this sucks, but at least I’m on a motorcycle still.

Do you mean the Yamaha TDR125/250?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Renaissance Robot posted:

In the UK cars will actually move out of the way to let bikes split past sometimes, it's pretty great. Unfortunately you still can't split everywhere because a lot of the roads are too narrow when they're backed up with traffic, especially if you get two fat SUVs next to each other.

I got doored once on a bicycle, but that was an accident :shobon:

I know everyone does it but isn't filtering technically illegal still in the UK? Either illegal or like a grey area.

Unsurprising to hear the US police are total killjoys about it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I know everyone does it but isn't filtering technically illegal still in the UK? Either illegal or like a grey area.

It’s legal.

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/filtering-motorbike-whats-law/

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

High Protein posted:

Do you mean the Yamaha TDR125/250?

YES! I don’t know why I thought Italian.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Yeah, you'll occasionally get boomers having an old man yells at cloud moment complaining about "bikes weaving in and out of traffic", but a) what they're really picturing is the high speed chase from last night's episode of Police Camera Action, and b) even if they see you splitting they aren't going to start poo poo because you'll be long gone by the time they work out whether they want to be mad enough to even honk.

Regardless of whether they think it is or should be legal, most people just accept splitting as a thing that happens here.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I noticed a big difference between riding in London where bikes are so commonplace that even the doziest driver is generally aware of bikes, to riding in Birmingham which was loving lethal.

The standard of driving here in Switzerland is generally quite poo poo. On the mountain roads people drive down the middle a lot and swerve out of the way when something comes the other direction. Wankers.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Man I wouldn't even drive a car in Birmingham. Or go there, at all, if I can help it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I still don't understand. If it won't start with a new battery but it'll start with a jump start, your new battery must be hosed? What happens if you just connect your jump battery to it by itself? Anyway the charging system has nothing to do with any of this, I don't know how that even got involved in the first place.

To successfully turn over the motor you're only using the battery, the starter relay and associated wiring, and the starter motor, that's it. One of these things doesn't work. It's probably not the starter because you've turned it over before. It could be the battery, because a battery can have OK voltage but only a thimble of capacity that gets exhausted after one crank. Try putting the multimeter on the battery when you're trying to crank it. Not knowing the sequence of events, which seem like they might be panicky and confused anyway, the relay or wiring might also be at fault and playing up intermittently but it's unlikely.

Only other possibility is a bad earth cable. If you're jumping it successfully with the earth lead clipped to the engine or wherever, but the earth lead to the battery itself is broken or hanging by a thread, you'll get the issue you're having.
I bought a new battery, and the shop said it was fully charged. With the new battery freshly installed, it wouldn't start. I trickle charged the battery, and it still wouldn't start. If I jump the mower off a car, it starts easily. I have not tried starting it with only the car battery connected and no battery in the mower itself.

If I put the multimeter across the mower battery as I crank it, what should I be looking for?

Shelvocke posted:

This is my thought, if it jumps (and the jumper is attached to the frame as per recommend technique), but doesn't start with a new battery, the frame to earth is probably the culprit (unless you got super unlucky and the new battery is also pants)
When I jump it, I've got positive to positive and negative to negative.

When you talk about the 'frame to earth' being bad, do you mean that you suspect there's a loose connection? I guess if it were a loose connection I'd expect the problem to be more intermittent, and for the mower to occasionally shut down while I was riding if the connection jostled too much.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My horn wasn't working at all. Probably due to years of neglect and getting wet (I'm the 5th owner, I think, and I live in Scotland).

I replaced the horn with a new horn.

Now the horn works, and it's really nice and loud, but only if I press VERY hard down on the horn button.

How do I fix this so it doesn't take a very hard thumb-mashing to make the horn work?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

My horn wasn't working at all. Probably due to years of neglect and getting wet (I'm the 5th owner, I think, and I live in Scotland).

Now the horn works, and it's really nice and loud, but only if I press VERY hard down on the horn button.

How do I fix this so it doesn't take a very hard thumb-mashing to make the horn work?

Taking the switch unit apart and cleaning and/or bending into shape the switch contact, probably.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Do you guys think my spare Yuasa YT7B-BS could power a VIAIR 85P compressor? It requires 12V/15A, and I'm generally familiar with amps/volts/watts/etc, but I'm not sure what to make the amps vs CCA specs. I'm assuming no on this one, but figured I'd check.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

110A CCA generally means that the battery can source up to 110 amps in a surge if the load demands it, as in the case of a starter motor. It can't do that for very long but fortunately you only need 15 amps.

It may be a problem that it's only a 6.5 amp-hour battery, though. 6.5Ah means the battery can supply 6.5 amps for 1 hour until it's discharged, or 3.25 amps for 2 hours, or 0.65A for 10 hours, and so on. If your charger requires 15 amps, that means you can only run it for a little over 20 minutes from a full charge to empty.

Does the compressor actually draw 15 amps, or is that just the size of the fuse it requires? Look for the rating in watts and divide that by voltage -- e.g. if it draws 120W then that is 10 amps at 12 volts.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 6, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It says it needs 180watts/15A at a minimum, so I think it may actually draw 15A. That said, I only need it to run for usually 30 seconds per wheel, so it seems like I should be able to play with tire pressures then throw the battery back on the tender. This is just me being lazy about having to plug it into my car in the driveway, it always feels like a pain to play with bike tire pressures because I have to get my bike close enough to the car that the cord will reach, turn the car on, roll down the window, etc. I have a spare battery lying around that my tender says it still good, so I thought it may be worth a shot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Squirt some contact cleaner in there. There's almost certainly a hole in the bottom of the control cluster (is there a proper word for the thing with the buttons that attaches to the handlebar?) to let moisture out, use that to get at the back of the switch, press the button in and squirt it into the surrround to get the the front. Don't take it apart unless you absolutely have to because there is a spring that has been waiting from the moment the bike was built to fire itself into low Earth orbit and will take that opportunity the moment you get near it with a screwdriver... or so I've been told, I've certainly never had to pay a hundred quid for a whole new assembly because that spring is completely irreplaceable.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

right arm posted:

california is a poo poo hole

Why do you hate California the way slavvy hates KTM?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, as someone who doesn’t live in California but travels there a lot I think it’s nice and I’d live there if it wouldn’t cost $2.5 million dollars to buy a similar house to what I have out here in MKE for significantly less.

When the kids are grown and my wife and I are ready to downsize I’m gonna make a big push for it though

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

builds character posted:

I should say I hate californian transplants and not california itself. california without the californians would be a wonderland :D

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

builds character posted:

right arm posted:

I should say I hate californian transplants and not california itself. california without the californians would be a wonderland :D

That explains it. Were you a Portland area native or did you just live there long enough to get squeezed out by climbing rents/real estate prices from people fleeing California but bringing ridiculous expectations for housing costs with them? My grandpa was bitching about Californians moving to Portland a good 30+ years ago. Bend got screwed, too. Hell, when I was in Hood River a couple of years ago prices were asinine and there's nothing there but fruit orchards and wind surfers.

The Boise area is being overrun now, has been for the past few years. I'm surprised the Mormons haven't started a purge.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

That explains it. Were you a Portland area native or did you just live there long enough to get squeezed out by climbing rents/real estate prices from people fleeing California but bringing ridiculous expectations for housing costs with them? My grandpa was bitching about Californians moving to Portland a good 30+ years ago. Bend got screwed, too. Hell, when I was in Hood River a couple of years ago prices were asinine and there's nothing there but fruit orchards and wind surfers.

The Boise area is being overrun now, has been for the past few years. I'm surprised the Mormons haven't started a purge.

I grew up southeast of portland in a little logging town my parents moved to after having me, but rented there for quite some time. my dad grew up in WA and lived in NE portland working for PGE and lived in a shithole house that would probably be worth $600000 or so now lol mom lived all over, mexico originally, then japan, australia, and the virgin islands. crazy childhood lol

the change is insane from when I'd visit friends in high school and just like 10yrs later. poo poo even thinking about when we started living here compared to when we left in september is just nuts how much stuff has changed

we made the decision to move to nashville for a couple years to save up money to put towards a downpayment on a place back in oregon or idaho since while poo poo is expensive in nashville, it is cheaper than portland, plus we both work medical jobs with no kids (but a giant berner :D) so moving was easy. so I wouldn't say squeezed out so much as we just had better opportunities out here especially since she is originally from TN. I've got family out in garden valley area and thoroughly enjoy boise as well, so the plan is to return in about 1.5 - 2yr once we have a big ole downpayment

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Squirt some contact cleaner in there. There's almost certainly a hole in the bottom of the control cluster (is there a proper word for the thing with the buttons that attaches to the handlebar?) to let moisture out, use that to get at the back of the switch, press the button in and squirt it into the surrround to get the the front. Don't take it apart unless you absolutely have to because there is a spring that has been waiting from the moment the bike was built to fire itself into low Earth orbit and will take that opportunity the moment you get near it with a screwdriver... or so I've been told, I've certainly never had to pay a hundred quid for a whole new assembly because that spring is completely irreplaceable.

I squirted contact cleaner spray in the holes in the switchgear (that's what the control cluster is called, FYI).

It improved things a tiny bit, but not a great deal. Will do a bit more tomorrow.

Yeah, I am not taking it apart. Will let the shop do it if I bring it in prior to an MOT in November (assuming I haven't sold the bike by then).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

2003 SV650.

No idea if it's related, but I did plugs and air filter the other day. After I was done, I started it up and let it idle for a while. Gave it a couple of revs, all good. Turned it off and rolled it back in the garage.

Going to work the next day, it won't start. Starter goes round round, catches just the tiniest bit. Gave it some gas, it caught a little but died as soon as I let go of the gas. Took the car. New attempt yesterday, won't catch at all.

Battery is charged, fuel pump primes, double checked that the plug caps are on, fuel line isn't pinched.

Follow up to this. I hosed around some more, switched back to the old plugs (and then put the new ones back in when it didn't make a difference), checked grounds, scratched my head a lot. Nothing worked, still would just go round round round on the starter without catching at all. So my dad came over to help me brainstorm a bit plus that he wanted to hear and see the problem himself, and when I showed him it started up perfectly. :confused:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
New to me bike has a 20+ year old county tax sticker and an expired inspection sticker on the fork. Any pro tips for removal without damage? I tried WD-40 with no success.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tyro posted:

New to me bike has a 20+ year old county tax sticker and an expired inspection sticker on the fork. Any pro tips for removal without damage? I tried WD-40 with no success.

Hairdryer/heat gun?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Goo Gone/Acetone? Just cover the fork seals :shrug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tyro posted:

Goo gone, or soak it in 90+% isopropyl alcohol. If it's a delicate surface, light oils will take most of it off with some rubbing, but some adhesive residue will probably still be there so you'll have to use alcohol or goo gone or something for that anyway.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Cool thanks y'all. I got one mostly off with careful use of a paint scraper but the old one is really stuck on there. I'll try the goo gone or alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I need CA's help solving a stupid problem.

After confirming my no-start problem was a failed fuel pump, I bought this replacement fuel pump kit. The pump works great, but the fitments is.. less than exact.

I was able to get everything together, except the fuel hose between the pump and the sending unit. That little corrugated straw they provide in the kit is flexible, but not at all pliable. I can't get it onto the sending unit barb more than a 1/4" or so, and it slips off under pressure.

I tried warming the hose with boiling water, then a heat gun, but it just gets hot to the touch and not really any more pliable.

This is some kind of stiff nylon, I think. Is there a method here I'm missing? Or what is a good alternative fuel hose I can use? It has to be EFI pressure rated, and submersible rated. All I'm finding is the thick, heavy, braided rubber bulk hose which probably won't flex into the place it needs to go; the route between the barbs isn't straight.

I'd like to eventually ride this year.

mr.belowaverage fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 9, 2020