Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

uninterrupted posted:

I told you to look up Haiti like 3? months ago, and you said Haitians were too savage and bloodthirsty to have democracy and that OAS should be free to pick whoever they like and ignore the actual votes.
Like how you were ignored lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Squalid posted:

Uh you know MAS is still practically running Bolivia right? Like even without the Presidency they are still the most powerful party. Even with Anez's fuckery that hasn't changed.

Generally speaking angry mobs are not particularly known for their well thought out and reasonable behavior, so I'm not sure what you want me to say.

https://www.paginasiete.bo/nacional/2019/10/22/antonio-costas-renuncia-al-tse-de-manera-irrevocable-235192.html#!

I want you to apologize for supporting a fascist coup, even if we grant you the assumption of election fraud

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Squalid posted:

The famous style of military coup we're all familiar with, in which the army sits on its rear end for months and then the entire General staff is unceremoniously fired and sent off into exile. Really if you just ignore everything about it it was exactly the same as Brazil in 1964.

This is funny because if we were looking for the most similar type of scenario to Bolivia, it is precisely Brazil in 1964.

A reformist government that gets decried as communist. Mass protests by upper and middle classes spurred by the media and opposition closely aligned with the US. A military that decides to move when the few generals loyal to the president are bribed off. A legalistic pretext for removal of the president. Then, a military intervention that is supposed to be temporary. When the coup happened, they didn't even shut down congress. There were even elections for congress (though members of congress who complained too much were arrested or exiled). And any day now, there will be a new election. It's just temporary. And so you had a bunch of people who supported the initial coup also fleeing or being arrested when they woke up to what happened. And suddenly, Brazil did not have a new presidential election again until 1989. The military even kept civilian vice presidents and presidential terms. But there was always something that made it so that the election had to be cancelled or postponed or whatever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So what the poll also presents is that either the party itself was popular enough or there was an individual in the party waiting in the wings popular enough to win the election, so there was no point in Evo Morales outflanking the constitution to get himself another term; that was an entirely self-serving move. Screwing around to buy himself a fourth term out of the two that the constitution allowed was a large part of why there was a significant amount of people willing to believe that he pulled a fraud.

Because there were large crowds of people protesting, regardless of the veracity of what they were protesting, and feet in the streets are not in themselves democracy, but it sure can provide the look of a popular movement for any group that uses the mess to provide cover for seizing power.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

So what the poll also presents is that either the party itself was popular enough or there was an individual in the party waiting in the wings popular enough to win the election, so there was no point in Evo Morales outflanking the constitution to get himself another term; that was an entirely self-serving move. Screwing around to buy himself a fourth term out of the two that the constitution allowed was a large part of why there was a significant amount of people willing to believe that he pulled a fraud.

Because there were large crowds of people protesting, regardless of the veracity of what they were protesting, and feet in the streets are not in themselves democracy, but it sure can provide the look of a popular movement for any group that uses the mess to provide cover for seizing power.

The end goal was overthrow of the left wing government, any candidate MAS ran would have had the exact same set of attacks Morales had. The only people swayed by the extra term argument are western liberals who are predisposed to approve of any coup the New York Times tells them is acceptable. A different candidate would have been a. worse at governing due to a lack of experience, b. less popular, c. have unknown personal baggage that could damage their election chances, and/or d. secretly be bought out by the wealthy like Moreno in Equador.

Really the only reasonable criticism of Morales was that he didn't purge the military, arm the populace similar to the collectivos in venezuela, and hunt down the simmering right wing and put them into reeducation camps.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What happened in Bolívia would have happened in Brazil with the exact same playbook if PT had won against Bolsonaro.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only reason there was term limits in the Bolivian constitution was because the opposition threatened secession of the provinces they controlled. It was not in the text approved by the constituent assembly. Weird that these "uphold the constitution" folks never care about this part.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

uninterrupted posted:

The end goal was overthrow of the left wing government, any candidate MAS ran would have had the exact same set of attacks Morales had. The only people swayed by the extra term argument are western liberals who are predisposed to approve of any coup the New York Times tells them is acceptable. A different candidate would have been a. worse at governing due to a lack of experience, b. less popular, c. have unknown personal baggage that could damage their election chances, and/or d. secretly be bought out by the wealthy like Moreno in Equador.

Really the only reasonable criticism of Morales was that he didn't purge the military, arm the populace similar to the collectivos in venezuela, and hunt down the simmering right wing and put them into reeducation camps.

You've already won factually so you don't have to use ridiculous tankie rhetoric about putting your enemies in camps in response to others. It makes you look really bad, and leads third parties to think those were justified in their mistrust of you.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

riseofmydick posted:

You've already won factually so you don't have to use ridiculous tankie rhetoric about putting your enemies in camps in response to others. It makes you look really bad, and leads third parties to think those were justified in their mistrust of you.

looks like it's advice that Morales would have profited from taking, though, soooo

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

brugroffil posted:

I want you to apologize for supporting a fascist coup, even if we grant you the assumption of election fraud

well i won't apologize for things I haven't done, that's just unreasonable.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squalid posted:

and everyone who thinks that is what you are doing is just... yeah. if you keep telling me that no, im not voting for hitler because im a nazi, i'm still going to ask you to explain why are you so scared of the communists. you're not going to convince people of your motivations by simply repeating your denials

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Squalid posted:

You realise people can read your old posts, right?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Squalid posted:

I think it provides helpful context as to explaining why so many Morales allies in the labor unions abandoned him. If you accept that the OAS report is accurate, and yes I know a lot of people won't, but if it is, then there is strong evidence the results of the election were significantly changed by an organized and systemic campaign of fraud at multiple levels. If the Bolivian government cannot address the irregularities the only reasonable response is to hold new elections.

I'm not sure what your specific criticism of the military is, as far as I'm aware the only way its gotten involved so far was by releasing a statement. Of course there must have been a lot of maneuvering in the background but there's no way for us to know what happened at this time. In crises like these when one part of the government is blatantly violating laws and norms there's never going to be an easy solution.

Squalid posted:

I'm asking you to explain the specific actions taken by the military yesterday, and outline the chain of events. Understanding who did what when is useful when analyzing these circumstances.

Squalid posted:

The issue I have with a lot of the people in the thread, is that they see it more important to take sides than actually understand what is really happening. Looking at the way you phrase things, I can tell you see this as an issue of taking sides. Why am I justifying the coup, why would I legitimate it?

I don't really see myself doing that. Instead I want to understand what is happening, and then determine the implications. I don't like sharing my opinion on issues like "is this a coup" because I can't imagine any reason that opinion would be of any interest to anyone itt. Last page there was a frankly bizarre discussion on the Bolivian constitution. Like, literally nobody here is equipped to make a judgement on what is or isn't constitutional in Bolivia. Few people understand the legal system in their own country, there's no way they could possibly have an informed opinion about Bolivia's. It's like watching a bunch of blind people describe a Renaissance painting, its an utterly pointless exercise. The correct decision for me and everyone else is to take no position at all on this issue, and anyone who does otherwise has proven themselves to be an idiot.

I like talking about things that actually happened. I like talking about the real world and not imagined things. It's okay to disagree about how to interpret what we know means, as long as we are being honest with each other we can still share information and have good conversations. If I sometimes come off as smug it is because before I talk about an issue I actually try to do research and get an idea of the complexity. So when people jump to conclusions, obviously haven't read anything more than the headlines, and extrapolate from anecdotes I don't have any desire to engage with them. What could they possibly have to say worth hearing?

If you think "critical thinking" is enough to prove Morales had nothing to do with the election irregularities, you should address the issues raised by the OAS. If you must have my opinion as to why it matters if the election results were manipulated, its because historically, process matters. If you go through my post history itt you can see that I've said a lot of good things about Morales' management of the Bolivian economy.

However all that progress you've described, all of it is threatened if the political process breaks down. Those rightwingers running wild right now? What do you think they would do in five years, if they know the elections are all fake? What happens to corruption when politicians know they can't be removed from office? If there is no process for the peaceful pursuit of a political agenda, the result will be violence. Now we see can see the result of what happens when people lose faith in the process, and it is ugly. You can't just sweep these problems under the rug forever. Eventually they always come to the surface, and when they do the result is civil war, chaos, and unrest. If the process has already broken down and foreign observers can see it, they should call it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

joepinetree posted:

The only reason there was term limits in the Bolivian constitution was because the opposition threatened secession of the provinces they controlled. It was not in the text approved by the constituent assembly. Weird that these "uphold the constitution" folks never care about this part.

So you're saying that they felt so strongly about term limits that they threatened to break the country if they weren't part of the constitution, and then after the term limits were nullified, they broke the country.

Who could have foreseen this turn of events.

uninterrupted posted:

A different candidate would have been a. worse at governing due to a lack of experience, b. less popular, c. have unknown personal baggage that could damage their election chances, and/or d. secretly be bought out by the wealthy like Moreno in Equador.

The core concept of democracy is that many people have the capacity to govern, as opposed to resting everything on one man who was trained from birth for the purpose. If the most popular movement in the country can't find a second person to run for office (which they clearly could, according to that poll) something has gone horribly wrong.

Even if one person is uniquely talented, modern governments are heavily distributed anyways and they could serve in some other part of government other than the very top and use their ability from there.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

The core concept of democracy is that many people have the capacity to govern, as opposed to resting everything on one man who was trained from birth for the purpose. If the most popular movement in the country can't find a second person to run for office (which they clearly could, according to that poll) something has gone horribly wrong.

Even if one person is uniquely talented, modern governments are heavily distributed anyways and they could serve in some other part of government other than the very top and use their ability from there.

The people chose Morales and he won. Term limits undemocratically hinder people’s choices on who can run.

Again, you’re taking the stance that the coup was caused by Morales running again, despite the majority of people supporting Morales. There was literally nothing MAS could have done to prevent the coup, short of hunting down the coup plotters and locking them up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Term limits are a trash idea.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

So you're saying that they felt so strongly about term limits that they threatened to break the country if they weren't part of the constitution, and then after the term limits were nullified, they broke the country.

Who could have foreseen this turn of events.

This is incredibly stupid.

Do you think the coup came about because of a devotion to the idea of term limits?

Or were term limits and later on the coup itself about taking out the guy who opposed their material interests?

You keep writing as if it was all the outcome of a difference of opinion regarding term limits.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Angela Merkel and Margaret Thatcher, well known despots clinging to power for over 8 years. (I mean okay, granted, it's thatcher, but)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Angela Merkel and Margaret Thatcher, well known despots clinging to power for over 8 years. (I mean okay, granted, it's thatcher, but)

They're both white idiot. It's not the same!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What about Roosevelt and Churchill, heads of military governments at that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Private Speech posted:

What about Roosevelt and Churchill, heads of military governments at that.

Again, more white people. These are all leaders of smart, stable, and advanced countries. The populace is better educated and has a far superior culture. They are the countries that Bolivia shouod strive to be, not shun. Unless Bolivia emulates what these countries do then it's backwards. It's not the same!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The people who organized an uprising to change the constitution, who invented a pretext organized ahead of time to question the election results and who organized a coup they've shown no interest in giving up would have totally been fine with MAS electing someone else. It was always about a commitment to term limits, not a bunch a racist rich people tired of poor people getting some scraps.

Which is why they are totally holding elections any day now

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i think you'll actually find that it was about states rights

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squalid posted:

The famous style of military coup we're all familiar with, in which the army sits on its rear end for months and then the entire General staff is unceremoniously fired and sent off into exile. Really if you just ignore everything about it it was exactly the same as Brazil in 1964.

This seems like especially pointless pedantry given that the role of right-wing paramilitaries in the Bolivian coup was quite well documented. They even got one of the folks in the presidential line of succession to step down by attacking his home and kidnapping his family.

Yes, the military sat it out until the new government came in, so it wasn't technically a 'military coup', but it was still a violent coup.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

DelilahFlowers posted:

Like how you were ignored lol

Like, skipped right past without a glance backwards lmao

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mortons stork posted:

Like, skipped right past without a glance backwards lmao

almost as if the guy had no actual arguments beyond logichammer pedantry. how on earth could anyone doubt the motivations and actual beliefs of this fascist coup defender

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Finally some good news from Bolivia!

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1281350920866013185

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:sickos:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

oh man thanks for going back into my post history to prove i was never a coup supporter. you saved me the effort! :)

also lol Anez got owned

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Squalid posted:

oh man thanks for going back into my post history to prove i was never a coup supporter. you saved me the effort! :)

also lol Anez got owned

Technically, you claimed to take no position at all on issues like "is this a coup," rather than supporting the coup explicitly. This seems disingenuous, though; if you really didn't want to take a position, you wouldn't have posted so much about it.

That, or you're the sort of person who likes making contrarian arguments, and you thought events in Bolivia made a good occasion for it. Which doesn't make you look much better!

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 10, 2020

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Squalid posted:

also lol Anez got owned

posting where you constantly question whether or not the obvious coup was a coup and where you constantly minimize the military's involvement in the coup is actually precisely support for the coup squalid hope that helps buddy

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1283406438375841792

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Camacho's been sidelined since the coup, which is probably why there's that three-way electoral brawl between him, Mesa, and Anez that's letting the MAS cruise ahead. Going to be interesting to see if any more 'mainstream' leaders follow up on this.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
He's not really sidelined, he did increase his platform by a lot through the coup, especially considering his only thinly veiled fascist background. They're all polling higher now then in the last election (if they even ran before), we're just lucky that none of the fascists and fascist-enabling "centrists" were willing to run on a joint ticket. But even internationally he went from an obscure Hitler youth leader to a well respected businessman and civic leadership person with glowing in portraits western papers

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

well he helped save Bolivia from a despot who was thwarting democracy*, he deserves glowing profiles

*there was no thwarting

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

I can't wait to see how some posters itt defend the current government for cancelling elections/refusing to accept the results

motherfucking lmao:
https://twitter.com/tawnuskgrevy/status/1280615831961890816

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Technically, you claimed to take no position at all on issues like "is this a coup," rather than supporting the coup explicitly. This seems disingenuous, though; if you really didn't want to take a position, you wouldn't have posted so much about it.

That, or you're the sort of person who likes making contrarian arguments, and you thought events in Bolivia made a good occasion for it. Which doesn't make you look much better!

wrong again, and i'm not sure how you became so confused about my opinions on this when i have been so explicit. I have repeatedly taken the position that this is a coup, going back to November 11. The reason i started off so cagey on the issue is I was still trying to understand what happened. However now we have a very clear understanding that the Bolivian government entered an extra-constitutional power struggle on election night, October 20th 2019. This was the date of the coup, and we won't really be able to say that it's over until we have the election.

It's not that I like to make contrarian arguments, it's that I like to make right arguments. Since it is so obvious what has occurred i find it difficult to stomach the fools and liars who are wrong about this. I mean for example, has LITERALLY ONE of the morons who claimed that Bolivia's Union leadership was intimidated into calling for Morales resignation admitted they were wrong yet? Literally anyone? Why would anyone trust anything they say when not only did they prematurely jump to conclusions supported by absolutely no evidence, but they can't even admit they were wrong?

Since you are the kind of person who likes digging through post histories, you might want to look at my second post itt and the conversation it is attached to, since I think it is reflective of how i tend to approach these sorts of issues. Thankfully, Bolilvia today is much less divided than Nicaragua in 1990 and for that reason exiting this crisis is going to be a lot less difficult.

If you really want me to wear my ideology on my sleeve I am dead serious when I say I am committed to democracy. I also care a lot about transparency and living in a society where we can trust each other and the government. So it offends me when I see people posting unchallenged in this thread that Morales only mistake was not abolishing elections and murdering his political enemies in the streets. As if reenacting a good old fashioned Liberals vs Conservative classic South American civil war is the one HOT TRICK to a safe and prosperous society the capitalists don't want you to know about.

unrelated, but Bolivia's healthcare system is collapsing under the strain of coronavirus as the country hits all time highs of new infections. poo poo is grim there right now.

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/bolivia-reports-more-than-2000-covid-19-cases-in-a-day-a-new-record-89345/

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Squalid posted:

wrong again, and i'm not sure how you became so confused about my opinions on this when i have been so explicit. I have repeatedly taken the position that this is a coup, going back to November 11.

Squalid posted:

I'm not sure what your specific criticism of the [Bolivian] military is, as far as I'm aware the only way its gotten involved so far was by releasing a statement

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Squalid posted:

unrelated, but Bolivia's healthcare system is collapsing under the strain of coronavirus as the country hits all time highs of new infections. poo poo is grim there right now.

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/bolivia-reports-more-than-2000-covid-19-cases-in-a-day-a-new-record-89345/

How "unrelated" is it, really? We're seeing far-right governments around the globe handle this in the worst ways pretty consistently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

brugroffil posted:

How "unrelated" is it, really? We're seeing far-right governments around the globe handle this in the worst ways pretty consistently.

It's unrelated because Squalid is a neolib who carries water for fascists, hth