Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

I think it's more we reached the point where CIG is bursting at the seams attempting to maintain the lie that it's not behind schedule.

Are they trying to do that tho? Does anybody believe (or even pretends to believe) that they will be able to deliver on time? Not even logicalchimp. uber shill extraordinaire, does so.

[Archer taxxe]
https://i.imgur.com/ZLo9xDh.mp4

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Are they trying to do that tho? Does anybody believe (or even pretends to believe) that they will be able to deliver on time? Not even logicalchimp. uber shill extraordinaire, does so.

In a sense, they are.

It's in following with one of the best (worst) bits of advice I gave CIG during the early days: Chris must be infallible.

Not launching in 2014? Well the scope of the game increased, but that's okay, we've planned for this.

Gardiner? I hardly know her!

3.0? Days, not weeks.

No vertical slice of SQ42? Here's a documentary showing we tried and were so close.

Paywalled CitCon? Well we're trying to cover expenses of all the awesome things we do for you and- okay okay no paywall.

And famously, Chris "absolved" himself of any old ancient wrong doings. That was his one get out of jail free card. And he said it on camera. He can try to do it again, but I don't think it'll work nearly as well as the last time.

CIG can admit small problems. Small problems can be swept under the rug, even at this point.

But right now, there are big problems staring them in the face, problems they promised themselves into. They're stalling for time, certainly, but there are people with sharp knives who gave them lots of money under certain conditions more stringent than the backers.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Bootcha posted:

Nope.

I can see it now.

"Squelude is free to Concierge and Subscribers (Subscribers must have concurrent and continuous 3 billing cycles to qualify)."

I'll go you one better: "Squelude is free with purchase of this new heavy fighter that really punches above its weight; $350, new money only."

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bootcha posted:

And famously, Chris "absolved" himself of any old ancient wrong doings. That was his one get out of jail free card. And he said it on camera. He can try to do it again, but I don't think it'll work nearly as well as the last time.

one of my low key favorite moments was the lead up to him absolving himself. Chris explaining that his failure to manage the project was because he knew he could do all those tasks personally in the time allotted for them. Then he absolved himself of accountability for his failure because hey it's not his fault he can do everything faster and better and his employees were letting him down so badly. It was just like him publicly demeaning his team because he hated the UI when he played his hosed product for the first time on camera

What an absolute jackass lmao.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Someone finally got a kill with the ballista

https://i.imgur.com/H5omWDn.mp4

quote:

Have you tried tracking a moving target?

quote:

Honestly, not as much as I'd like. The few shots I've taken seem a bit off for sure but can't really say if it's fully the Ballista or me ha

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Very realistic.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
You have to admit that there were improvements. For example, the missiles didn't spawn 5 seconds later 20 meters away from where they should. They also didn't hug the target and actually exploded. brb, buying idris or two

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Wtf.

For the record: Arma3 has radar guided g2a missiles that can acquire a lock using nearby active radar installations and can shoot across even the biggest maps. They introduced that system in a free patch years after launch just because.

And those missile batteries are properly modelled so you can see the empty launch tubes after launch, and they look like real g2a long range missile batteries as well.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Mystery of the funding tracker explosion solved.

By why is CIG seeking out more investors? Calder money not enough? I know more money beats less money, but investors expect a return on their investment. It's not FREE money. COVID-19 hitting them in the wallet? Whales starting to dry up? I remember reading on the refund reddit folks are only getting 50 cents on the dollar on the gray market these days.

If this new investor thing is true I wonder how have the Calders reacted to their eventual share /ownership dilution. Either Keith Calder is not as shrewd as his father or they are both slacking big time.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pixelate posted:

I am the launched side rocket that - based on fumes - clipped through the front of the truck.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Just rewatched Sunk Cost Galaxy - Chapter 7 - The Lady Macbeth.

Bootcha is totally spot on .... Top stuff. It's ageing like fine wine.

And that's with him leaving so much stuff out that he could have touched on.

God I love this scam.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I just want to see SQ42, it's been in development for so long, I just want see what generic rubbish they've achieved. Same thing with Theatres of War, which may well get cancelled anyway.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

based on fumes

Star Citizer

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mailer posted:

I think it feels weak at the moment because, for whatever reasons, CIG has stopped CIGing for now. We're not getting an insane new promise every other day. There's nothing to reignite the comedy like land claims or The Ramp or a $27000 ship package. The streamer ad campaign seems to have died as well, so there's no more daily rants about how it's not a scam. Maybe having real guys with real money who can put real pressure on them have stopped the funny. This makes the cult less funny as well since they can't wrap dreams.txt around anything new.

Truly the worst thing for Star Citizen is that the crobbler stopped talking about it. :(

yep. the rollercoaster ride seems to be over.
but what a ride it was, totally worth the 10 dollars entry fee for the concierge forum here.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

commando in tophat posted:

You have to admit that there were improvements. For example, the missiles didn't spawn 5 seconds later 20 meters away from where they should. They also didn't hug the target and actually exploded. brb, buying idris or two

Also the missile didn't miss only for the ship to blow up anyway.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Pixelate posted:

I like how the ship just loses two random parts and slowly falls to the ground after being hit by two missiles.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

kilus aof posted:

I like how the ship just loses two random parts and slowly falls to the ground after being hit by two missiles.
Four missiles. Two on sides and two on top.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

That terrain looks like poo poo.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Antigravitas posted:

Wtf.

For the record: Arma3 has radar guided g2a missiles that can acquire a lock using nearby active radar installations and can shoot across even the biggest maps. They introduced that system in a free patch years after launch just because.

And those missile batteries are properly modelled so you can see the empty launch tubes after launch, and they look like real g2a long range missile batteries as well.

If you want some more laughs, the maximum range of this missile truck (in the year 3000 something something) is 2km.
If I had to guess, it's because their coordinate system can't handle anything further away than that but who knows. In any case the end result is that the missile truck is absolutely useless because any spaceship can outrange it.

So yes, 1960's era man-portable missile launchers had a bigger range.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

That missile truck really punches above its weight, huh?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Maybe that 60s tech is a long-lost Precursor-level mystery.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That's hilariously short. (somethingsomething she said)

Arma scales some of the ranges down a lot for gameplay reasons but data link range is still 16km and the maximum range of an AMRAAM is ~13km, and manpads push 5km. They also built a complicated set of sensor simulations impacted by weather. IR sensors rely on how much a vehicle contrasts against background and different vehicles heat up differently when their engines are running.

Also, Arma can have more players on the same map :v:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bumble He posted:

but what a ride it was, totally worth the 10 dollars entry fee for the concierge forum here.

Concierge here includes platinum :smug:. You got the pleb deal.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

That's hilariously short. (somethingsomething she said)

Arma scales some of the ranges down a lot for gameplay reasons but data link range is still 16km and the maximum range of an AMRAAM is ~13km, and manpads push 5km. They also built a complicated set of sensor simulations impacted by weather. IR sensors rely on how much a vehicle contrasts against background and different vehicles heat up differently when their engines are running.

Also, Arma can have more players on the same map :v:

Pfffft, you could fit 3 ARMAS in a single Star Citizen crater. Pack up your FUD and get out of here troll.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Sandepande posted:

Maybe that 60s tech is a long-lost Precursor-level mystery.

Like the 40K thing where a great amount of scientific knowledge has been lost and is sometimes rediscovered among documents and artefacts strewn across the galaxy. Except for the stuff that's been locked away or destroyed for being dangerous and an affront to the Imperium of Man.

Star Citizen might be finished by then, who knows.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:v: Again, CIG definitely didn't want Sq42 to be ready about now

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Let's face it, Covid has given the best excuse in the world to bullshit an extra years delay, not that its going to make any difference in the end...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

StarBegotten posted:

Let's face it, Covid has given the best excuse in the world to bullshit an extra years delay, not that its going to make any difference in the end...

They probably already said it's no big deal for them since they're so advanced in their work practices

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bumble He posted:

In 1992 Francis Fukuyama wrote "The End of History and the Last Man," a piece of political theory that explored the idea that Western liberal hegemony had crystallized to such a degree that major destabilization or replacement of Western democratic ideals would be impossible. It's not that there wouldn't be historical events, he claimed, but rather that these events would fail to change the status quo in the way that we had observed previous major events rewrite the map in previous centuries. Of course, here in 2020 where the entire world has gone mad and every day feels like a sort of precipice, those arguments can seem a little difficult to square with reality.

What I mean to say by all this is if you give CIG a long enough timeline (and they have all the time in the world, it seems) they will gently caress up again in some hilarious and near-catastrophic way. Admittedly, I've never bought into any of the "CIG will be dead in 90 days/2 years/127 hours, tops!" things, because I think everyone involved has underestimated two things: first, CR's willingness and ability to be an absolute scumfuck bastard, and second, idiots' willingness and ability to keep funneling insane amounts of cash into the furnace that fuels him. But it's hard to look at where they are now and where they want to go and think "Yeah okay I guess the show's over," because they're so loving far off the mark in terms of their predictions and what they think is an acceptable game to the masses. We're living through the end of history with CIG, with a minor historical event happening here and there, and we're all just waiting on what's going to happen when that end of history... ends.

Mark my words, one of the funniest days in all Star Citizen thread history is going to be when they actually start trying to sell this loving turd to a wider audience.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe SC will burn at some point, spectacularly, exactly because CR is an idiot who will try to bite more than he can chew. But it will be with investors or some other party - because to backers he doesn't owe anything at all and if they all stopped funding now (they won't), he won't mind at all - he already got enough money out of it and he'd start some Schmear Creditsland project instead.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Quavers posted:

:v: Again, CIG definitely didn't want Sq42 to be ready about now

Well there's the problem- CIG's ramps are deadly!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheArt1s/status/1280105334615523331
https://twitter.com/IMPGEO/status/1280792023658827776

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s so awesome no one bothered to get a video just some boring rear end pictures lol.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Bootcha posted:

In a sense, they are.

It's in following with one of the best (worst) bits of advice I gave CIG during the early days: Chris must be infallible.

Not launching in 2014? Well the scope of the game increased, but that's okay, we've planned for this.

Gardiner? I hardly know her!

3.0? Days, not weeks.

No vertical slice of SQ42? Here's a documentary showing we tried and were so close.

Paywalled CitCon? Well we're trying to cover expenses of all the awesome things we do for you and- okay okay no paywall.

CIG can admit small problems. Small problems can be swept under the rug, even at this point.

But right now, there are big problems staring them in the face, problems they promised themselves into. They're stalling for time, certainly, but there are people with sharp knives who gave them lots of money under certain conditions more stringent than the backers.

The part I can't reconcile with is the fact that it's their best year, funding wise. By far. it doesn't matter even most of their old backers are becoming disgruntled, even if the likes of Lethality are starting to question things. As long as there's new blood, as long as there's money.. why the hell would you change the recipe ?

Why are we mocking the investors ? The project might be a trainwreck, but there's more money and more money every year that passes. That's all what matters to investors. In fact it's even started to sound like a good investment to me. Who cares if we're entering the 8th year of development with no game on sight ? Every day more money falls from the sky than yesterday. Chris literally invented the philosopher's stone, turning dreams into cash. As an investor I'd want to have a piece of the cake, too.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Is CIG trying to jump on the woke go broke traim?

That pic. 9 people.

1 pink haired feminst Karen who wants to speak to the manager

5 black

1 Kim Yong Un double.

1 anonymous helmet person

1 Soyboy

Yeah, that surely represents the average SC community demographic. Pandering hypocrites.

If they continue this route, I'll join star citizen refunds and will get my money back.

quote:

Let's compare this "community pic" to the visitors of Citcon, shall we

https://swetrust.com/forum/applicat....0DyaKaxS0f.jpg

If CIG wants to shove racist SJW utopia wokeness bullshit, pandering to the radical lefty journalists that hate them already, fine.

let them lose the few fans that are remaining. I'll put them on the boycot list quickly, between Disney, Nike, McDonalds and the other woke hypocrite garbage corporations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sandweed posted:

That terrain looks like poo poo.

It looks like a fan made desert texture for New Vegas.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

i guess this website has turned me into a radical leftist because I don't see how a random "celebrate our community!" tweet with a screengrab of NPCs where some happen to be black is pandering to the libtards.

I WANT ALT-RIGHT SPACE ROME AND I WANT IT NOW! :cry:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

It’s good to remember that the whales deserve no sympathy for their upcoming catastrophically loss of investments when CIG goes belly up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
CR is an incompetent fraud and lovely boss with poor taste, but perhaps his karma will be held aloft by scamming people like these and keeping them isolated inside the 'Verse, far form other people online.