Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jose posted:

the guy quoted there appears to own a pizza restaurant so lol well done guardian claiming he's working class

This is exactly the same poo poo as the chud safaris in the US

forkboy84 posted:

Hit me more daddy, I've still got 3 teeth left.

He's not the one being hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

redleader posted:

'Imagine the state we’d be in if Corbyn had been in charge': the view from the 'red wall'

lol, uk voters are utterly unable to imagine a government that doesn't do full austerity now

also lol at that discount for going to the pub in the middle of an uncontained pandemic

just lol in general tbh

im sorry, im a uk politics neophyte but

quote:

“Think of all the excess deaths we’ve had from Covid-19; more than 44,000 of them have been in my age group, the over-65s,” he said. “Surely the government has saved money as a result? That’s 44,000 fewer pensions the government is paying each week, plus they have probably saved a fortune in care home fees, too. I’d like to see that money going into the NHS, not just hospitality.”

what the gently caress

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

V. Illych L. posted:

sweden tried empowering the scientists and they hosed it up, so i wouldn't propose anti-politics as a take-away from covid-19

that's because they didn't do the second part of the formula, ask businessmen. if the businessmen disagree with the scientists then listen to the scientists. if the businessmen agree with the scientists find new scientists

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Dreylad posted:

what the gently caress

You know those chud hogs who choose to die of trivially preventable illnesses while cursing Obamacare with their final breath?

Well we have them too.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If anything ours are worse

Like at least the retirees in the US are actually getting pissed at Trump for treating their lives as expendable, this country is completely beyond salvation

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dreylad posted:

what the gently caress

I sometimes think the government has handled the pandemic so badly on purpose as a way of managing the social care crisis.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Facehammer posted:

You know those chud hogs who choose to die of trivially preventable illnesses while cursing Obamacare with their final breath?

Well we have them too.

they're kinda ignorant with a veneer of american freedom rhetoric, that's just "kill the poor and raise the VAT" utilitarian callousness. usually people at least dress up that poo poo.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Dreylad posted:

they're kinda ignorant with a veneer of american freedom rhetoric, that's just "kill the poor and raise the VAT" utilitarian callousness. usually people at least dress up that poo poo.

At root I think they're basically the same thing expressed in different words: "the undeserving (others) are using up finite resources in a zero-sum game and therefore depriving the deserving (me)".

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Dreylad posted:

what the gently caress

the most important ukpol principle to understand is the insightful and accurate observation by theresa may: "the people voted for pain". it gets right to the core of the subservient british psyche, from which many of the world's socio-political-economic problems arise

the people voted for pain. they want to be brutalised by their betters. the tories are only too happy to oblige

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/readonlymike/status/1281156660485120000

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

eh, the UK is just an extremely lovely place politically. its the unreformed dregs of a white supremacist kleptocratic empire run by 5 press barons, literal royals and a posh boarding school

and essentially even the most leftwing brit is starting from the position of "britain is the best, or at least one of the best, country in the world" and reading the guardian

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Oh hey my home town is in the UK politics thread, that's fun.

Did you know Leigh is the biggest town in England without a train station! Bit of trivia for you there feel free to put it in your local pub quiz.

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

Communist Thoughts posted:

eh, the UK is just an extremely lovely place politically. its the unreformed dregs of a white supremacist kleptocratic empire run by 5 press barons, literal royals and a posh boarding school

and essentially even the most leftwing brit is starting from the position of "britain is the best, or at least one of the best, country in the world" and reading the guardian

God Save the Queen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

it looks to me like the tories are still in PR mode, doing stuff they can spin as *something* while embezzling as much as they can for their mates

spinning while embezzling is what passes for governance here

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

spinning while embezzling is what passes for governance here

edgy

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

you have such a strange reaction to completely fair assessments of reality

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spangly A posted:

he's a lib, it's par for the course

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

Spangly A posted:

oliwan posted:

he's a lib, it's par for the course

Maximum edginess

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

NGC773 posted:

Maximum edginess

Do you understand what edgy means? Have you never spoken to any left sympathetic person before? "uk politics is corrupt" is a completely normal belief shared by the majority of people across the political spectrum.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Spangly A posted:

Do you understand what edgy means? Have you never spoken to any left sympathetic person before? "uk politics is corrupt" is a completely normal belief shared by the majority of people across the political spectrum.
If you're the dullest tool in the shed, everything else looks edgy.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
loot at us and our edgy ideologies

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the tories sold the loving post office to their mates for less than it was worth, its what they do. they've spent the last 10 years doing it to everything that isn't nailed down and they've been prying up the nails for at least a couple years.

it makes perfect sense if you think money in state hands is always better off in private hands, which is very basic right wing ideology. ripping off the state is good in that case.
thats not controversial in serious political circles let alone edgy:shrug:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

lol

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

:drat:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
it really is true that after having had a go at genociding everyone else in the world, the english are finally genociding the english

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Jeremy Corbyn returns to Britain to find a country in shambles. the relics of cannibalism are everywhere, buildings toppled, streets full of trash. he sees no living soul until he stumbles on an emaciated Owen Jones, his face pierced by golden chains, who leans forward and whispers with his dying breath: “close...”

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ellis_Samizdat/status/1281555519073812480?s=20

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

the tories sold the loving post office to their mates for less than it was worth, its what they do. they've spent the last 10 years doing it to everything that isn't nailed down and they've been prying up the nails for at least a couple years.

This isnt true

The lib dems helped a lot

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Galloway is running for the Scottish parliament in 2021.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Jul 10, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PawParole posted:

Can't believe the incredibly stupid unionist is so mad that some people have jokingly suggested a strictly enforced border between Scotland & England until the English start taking Covid-19 seriously that he's going to run for Holyrood & lose badly.

Seriously, imagine post-Brexit, post-Covid, post-another Tory electoral victory in England while they lost seats in Scotland, still thinking the union is a net positive for Scotland. gently caress off George

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

PawParole posted:

Move over SNP, Scotland belongs to WPB now

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

Can't believe the incredibly stupid unionist is so mad that some people have jokingly suggested a strictly enforced border between Scotland & England until the English start taking Covid-19 seriously that he's going to run for Holyrood & lose badly.

Seriously, imagine post-Brexit, post-Covid, post-another Tory electoral victory in England while they lost seats in Scotland, still thinking the union is a net positive for Scotland. gently caress off George

imagine if he somehow wins, becomes FM of Scotland, then Indy wins and he has to carry it out.

lmaoing

( he could always run for a unionist district)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

its hellworld, the scottish gammons are simply waiting for the trigger phrase and then we're all hosed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PawParole posted:

imagine if he somehow wins, becomes FM of Scotland, then Indy wins and he has to carry it out.

lmaoing

( he could always run for a unionist district)

Ah, but he'll have the hardest time running in a unionist district because he's also (or was, think he converted to Islam at some point) a Catholic & most unionists are Protestants or at least identify as such every 12th of July.

Plus the overall problem where no one actually likes Gorgeous George because he's a self-serving prick. Also his party has about 5 members so the odds of them picking up a list seat are on par with the Scottish Christian Party. Actually, I'd wager the Scottish Christians probably get over 10,000 votes nationally so the fairer comparison for George is probably the Communist party who managed 510 votes in 2016, 107 less than the loving National Front got.

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Jul 10, 2020

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

Ah, but he'll have the hardest time running in a unionist district because he's also (or was, think he converted to Islam at some point) a Catholic & most unionists are Protestants or at least identify as such every 12th of July.

Plus the overall problem where no one actually likes Gorgeous George because he's a self-serving prick. Also his party has about 5 members so the odds of them picking up a list seat are on par with the Scottish Christian Party. Actually, I'd wager the Scottish Christians probably get over 10,000 votes nationally so the fairer comparison for George is probably the Communist party who managed 510 votes in 2016, 107 less than the loving National Front got.

that’s not a problem, if they’re anything like American right wingers then they’d want a minority that happens to agree with them politically pretty loving badly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the UK is so corrupt lol

https://twitter.com/openDemocracy/status/1282989315228917760?s=20

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

https://twitter.com/domineyjenner/status/1282798583985643520
Raging!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
who wants to tell the idiot that the unpaid D/D might end up with a debt collector?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

its such an astonishingly good return on investment you'd be negligent to not bribe politicians in the UK