Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

mind the walrus posted:

It's not one iota dumber than any other Scooby property in the last 60 years so who gives a rip?

You take that back! The What's New Scooby Doo series is awesome. My daughter is literally watching it, right now, and she will not tolerate such balderdash :argh:

Plus, they have some rippin' punk rock on the soundtrack.

Funny picture tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Used to love seeing those tanks up close on my way to work.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://i.imgur.com/gzLy8x3.mp4

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

lubricate the anvil?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Down in Orlando there used to be a strip club made from two domes joined together. Painted pink. With brown caps.

Never went there, since I was just a goonlet, but I did find it fascinating. Maybe that's the reason I like bigguns? :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/wiNPSXn.mp4

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love watching truckers get wrecked by their own hubris but this one seems like the bridge maker was negligent.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Well, it's still standing. I'd say it was on purpose.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cable Guy posted:

You sure she didn't say Volvo...?

I used to work for Smurfit Stone as a "package designer" and got to visit Chicago. That building is awesome.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I used to work for Smurfit Stone as a "package designer" and got to visit Chicago. That building is awesome.

Did you gently caress it though?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Dat rear end

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How was that a better solution than buying a hatchback

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

gbut posted:

Dat rear end

What if they made the house longer?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
You're all missing the important question.

Can you gently caress it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

gbut posted:

Dat rear end

You know at least one dude committed a sex o'fence.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I guess if he went deep enough he'd also be a sex o'fender.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

gbut posted:

Dat rear end

That gate is thicc

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
If it’s a Tesla, does that mean he’s committing sexual battery?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

every time I walk by that building (which is not often--I don't live in Seattle) I wonder what the gently caress the point was

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Just lower the road.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

morallyobjected posted:

every time I walk by that building (which is not often--I don't live in Seattle) I wonder what the gently caress the point was

Short answer, more ground space for other things around it.

”Supposedly, the architect’s website” posted:

Minoru Yamasaki designed the complex with the primary intent of retaining as much of the site for outdoor public use as possible. Positioning the building on a pedestal located at the corner of the site achieved maximum land area for low rise commercial development and open green area. Appearing to taper toward the ground like an inverted pyramid, the skyscraper’s 121 foot concrete base is equivalent to eleven stories. Reminiscent of a felled tree, the building has attained the nickname of “the beaver building”. The base carries the thirty two story aluminum-clad office tower on steel framing.

The tower’s perimeter acts as a Vierendeel truss, transferring wind loads to the pedestal while also making the building earthquake resistant. Results of the successful completion of 3 environmental tests prior to construction proved Rainier Tower as one of Seattle’s safest buildings.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Minoru Yamasaki, man, he just loved concrete.

(It's so a now-defunct underground shopping mall could be built, and 'cause it looks rad)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

morallyobjected posted:

cause it's fuckin' cool you rear end in a top hat!!1

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

It's not one iota dumber than any other Scooby property in the last 60 years so who gives a rip?

Oh for sure. I mean they've already met Batman and Weird Al.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzQbBRBMFDs

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cable Guy posted:

Well, that is the Swedish consulate.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Cable Guy posted:

It's boxy, but it's good.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

morallyobjected posted:

quote:

The unusual tapered base was selected for multiple reasons. First, its form proved highly effective in resisting huge seismic jolts that could affect Seattle. Second, Yamasaki wanted to preserve the "green" character of Downtown Seattle, and therefore wanted to minimize the building's footprint on the site. Third, he wanted to devote much of the ground space to a retail shopping plaza. Fourth, clearly, Yamasaki also was enamored of the base's soaring, curved form.

- PCAD (online March 2019)
https://buffaloah.com/a/virtual/us/seatt/rain/rain.html

Groda posted:

Well, that is the Swedish consulate.
Wow.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EdibleBodyParts posted:

Short answer, more ground space for other things around it.

The craziest thing is every indication seems to be the design works. Maybe more buildings should be built that way.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
Does anyone have links to the old 'post bad architecture' threads

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The craziest thing is every indication seems to be the design works. Maybe more buildings should be built that way.

At times like these I like to point and laugh at the Citibank building

The architect thought he was so clever by putting it on stilts so it took up less footprint and avoided having to demolish a classic old church the next block over. It was built with the highest modern standards in mind, and would stand up to a once-in-a-multi-century level hurricane! He showed all the wind force calculations to the students he was proudly giving a presentation to, about how the max wind forces against any one of the faces wouldn't destabilize the building at all.

But one of the students noticed that those stilts uhhhhh meant that the footprint was actually diagonal from what the building's four faces are. And a lot smaller a square. So the wind loads against the diagonal faces would blow the thing over in like 10 years statistically

By that point though the building was already built and full of bankers happily and industriously destroying the economic middle class. So the architects, panicking, had to invent some kind of insane counterweight system that they could install in the basement to counteract any wind loads and flexing that might happen above ground, and they had to do it IN SECRET so the tenants wouldn't catch on that they were in a death trap and the insurance bankrupt everybody. They built all that poo poo after hours over the course of years and only after they were done did the story come out.

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 12:51 on Jul 9, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think the student didn't get any credit too lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Just picturing that student watching the presentation like

"You forgot about the essence of the game. It's about the" corners.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

morallyobjected posted:

Proactively preparing for when it’s time to abandon Seattle’s street level and just build everything higher again

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Data Graham posted:

At times like these I like to point and laugh at the Citibank building

The architect thought he was so clever by putting it on stilts so it took up less footprint and avoided having to demolish a classic old church the next block over. It was built with the highest modern standards in mind, and would stand up to a once-in-a-multi-century level hurricane! He showed all the wind force calculations to the students he was proudly giving a presentation to, about how the max wind forces against any one of the faces wouldn't destabilize the building at all.

But one of the students noticed that those stilts uhhhhh meant that the footprint was actually diagonal from what the building's four faces are. And a lot smaller a square. So the wind loads against the diagonal faces would blow the thing over in like 10 years statistically

By that point though the building was already built and full of bankers happily and industriously destroying the economic middle class. So the architects, panicking, had to invent some kind of insane counterweight system that they could install in the basement to counteract any wind loads and flexing that might happen above ground, and they had to do it IN SECRET so the tenants wouldn't catch on that they were in a death trap and the insurance bankrupt everybody. They built all that poo poo after hours over the course of years and only after they were done did the story come out.

They needed to be even more covert than that, because the fix wasn't in the basement. There are a series of angled beams directing corner loads to the center of each face, pointing at the stilts. These were not all concentrated around emergency stairwells, which might have been covert. No, no, this was the era when structural components moved back to the outside, allowing less overall steel use and taller buildings. Citicorp Center was, when built, the 7th tallest building in the world.

The result? Their covert after-hours fix happened in offices and common areas:

Beauty of an architecture component, don't you think?

Another aggravating factor in the vulnerability was introduced, as so many are, in construction when a change of design was proposed. To save money these angled beams were joined not with the originally-planned welds but with cheaper and quicker bolts. This lowered their strength, but calculations showed it'd be fine with the cardinal-directions winds. As Data Graham said, quartering winds weren't considered and the change was approved.

So the fix required welders coming in after-hours, taking off finishing from these structural components, welding on plates over the joints, then refinishing so it looked like all that occurred was a new paint job.

Oh, and a category 4 hurricane headed towards it 6 weeks into the repair. Thankfully it decided to just buzz the east coast and gently caress off to retire someplace vikings used to live.

Another fun thing about the "beams near the outside" design was the need for a tuned mass damper. Basically, this is a huge counterweight in the upper floors which moves to cancel out any vibrations that get started. This was original design, and quickly caught on because besides making it safer it made taller buildings less vomit-inducing.

Here's a fun video showing both the tuned mass damper and the emergency fix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUImgTJHJOw&t=192s

e: added 2 pictures

BrianBoitano has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

ewiley posted:

Proactively preparing for when it’s time to abandon Seattle’s street level and just build everything higher again

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground
Also looking forward to New New York