Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

we gotta know your routine and poo poo too

probably feeding with too much so they get one large and fast fart instead of a gradual rumble

I feed mine in a sealed container so the lid won't be an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I’m following the King Arthur method. Reserve 113g starter, discard remainder, add 113g water and 113g ap flour. Do this in the morning and again before bed. Starter jar is on the counter and the house is set at 76.

The sour smell it gives off is very pungent and not at all beery. I was expecting more stale beer and less wet dog.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Murgos posted:

I’m following the King Arthur method. Reserve 113g starter, discard remainder, add 113g water and 113g ap flour. Do this in the morning and again before bed. Starter jar is on the counter and the house is set at 76.

The sour smell it gives off is very pungent and not at all beery. I was expecting more stale beer and less wet dog.

I'd just keep going. Maybe pare down the quantities so you're not using up so much flour.

Have you been pouring off the hooch? If you mix it in, it can make things more pungent and potentially inhibit your rise. I doubt that's happening with such a young starter though.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks.

Last night I reduced the amounts to reserve 66g of starter and adding 66g of water and 66g of flour.

This morning there was about a half teaspoon of liquid on the surface which I drained off before separating out the starter. Still no noticeable rise in volume (the starter is in a graduated jar so it's easy to see).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My ratio is 1/2 cup starter, ~1/2 to 3/4c water depending on what the hydration looks like, and 1c flour. Feed once a day, or 6-10h before use if I know I’m going to be cooking.

I know it should be weights but gently caress it the precise amounts aren’t super important and it lets me just scoop and stir poo poo without worrying about getting the scale. It’s a starter not a complex French pastry.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Speaking of which I’m getting my sourdough pizza game dialed in

Still need to get some wheat flour to mix in but even all white it’s pretty loving tasty.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Which recipe is that from, looks great! Does it freeze okay?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Which recipe is that from, looks great! Does it freeze okay?

Its the one from the perfect loaf. I haven't tried freezing it yet. The recipie as it is is pretty great for making two of those pizzas you see there, which is the perfect amount for me and my wife.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

We just snagged a KitchenAid mixer and the wife's been on a delicious bread baking kick. I used to bake some tasty no-knead breads but now I'm kinda out of my element and don't have any relevant advice. We're getting back into eating healthier and exercising, and I'm looking for tasty homemade breads that have extra protein and fiber if possible. On hand, we have some whole-wheat flour, bread flour, and all-purpose flour. Optionally, I'm also really partial to hearty dark breads and ryes and such. Any advice for some recipes/styles of breads we could look into that would meet those criteria?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I have been using a mix of 300gm bread flour, 100 gm whole wheat flour and 100 gm rye flour for my recipe. I am very very happy with the results and so is my colon!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Could you kind bakingoons recommend some babby's first sourdough recipes?

I've been making basic yeasted loafs for the last two months and feel like I pretty well have the hang of it. I made a sourdough starter with 100% rye a few days ago and it's pretty active, doubling in about 6 hours so I figure I'm close to trying sourdough.

I don't have a banneton so I'd probably be doing the ferment/rise in a mixing bowl or the loaf pan I bake it in.

Thanks!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This is the one I’ve been using and it works well

https://foodbodsourdough.com/the-process/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Evidence:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the one I’ve been using and it works well

https://foodbodsourdough.com/the-process/

cool thanks! I've seen the foodbod recipe mentioned a bunch so I'll roll with that and post pictures in a few days.

Since I don't have a banneton I was planning to do the final proof and baking in a 9x5 covered (or I guess I could leave it uncovered) Pullman pan, I'm assuming that should work just fine?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I just do the final proof right in my cast iron. I line it with parchment paper, stick the dough in, leave it in the fridge for 24h, then toss it in the oven.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
A month ago, my bread was firing on all cylinders. I have been using a 100% hydration starter since the start of plague world and I was able to dial in an Italian-style batard that I really liked.

10 oz flour, 2 oz starter, 0.2 oz salt, 0.3 oz vital wheat gluten, 0.3 oz vegetable oil, 5.3 oz water (85-90F).

I usually doubled that. I improved my oven temperature issues by putting my stone above the bread. I was still having some issues with burning the bottoms of the batards, which is what I was working on when something changed and the bread is suddenly crap. It is dense, it doesn't rise, it doesn't color and the dough feels stodgy when handling. I changed flours recently (due to the shortage that still exists near me) and got a few good loaves out. I also changed the oven routine, but again I got a few good loaves. So I I thought my starter had died on me. It was rising by a bit less than 2x in 12 hours, which is slow, but the bread was good. So I started feeding it every 12 hours and its now growing by 4x in 12 hours. But the bread still looks like it isn't rising. I don't know what happened, I just want my bread back. :(

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Some recent bakes from the BBA book

The pizza needed longer (more likely my oven which can run 25-50 degrees cooler than posted) and definitely more chocolate chips in the chocolate brioche.

Tomorrow trying the San Francisco sourdough and bagels next weekend. I just can’t get the perfect loafs sourdough recipe to work for me. BBA book has been great so far.

Also picked up a new friend that was on sale

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 11, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I just do the final proof right in my cast iron. I line it with parchment paper, stick the dough in, leave it in the fridge for 24h, then toss it in the oven.

I lose a LOT of bubbles by flipping my slack breads from banneton to baking sheet. However, if I put a sheet of parchment over the banneton, put the lid of the Lodge combo cooker (god drat, that thing is heavy), and flip, the transfer is easier on the dough.

My poor sourdough. I usually keep my starter out, but there have been family crises + hot weather for the last few weeks. When I went in to feed it, I don't know what was floating on the surface, but it was orange. Fortunately, I had a bowl of discards in the fridge, and am slowly feeding a bit of that back to normality.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I lose a LOT of bubbles by flipping my slack breads from banneton to baking sheet. However, if I put a sheet of parchment over the banneton, put the lid of the Lodge combo cooker (god drat, that thing is heavy), and flip, the transfer is easier on the dough.

My poor sourdough. I usually keep my starter out, but there have been family crises + hot weather for the last few weeks. When I went in to feed it, I don't know what was floating on the surface, but it was orange. Fortunately, I had a bowl of discards in the fridge, and am slowly feeding a bit of that back to normality.

That's the hooch - generally you can pour it off and you're good.

When it's hotter your starter will be more active so it probably burned through all it's food and got hungry producing the hooch.

Made cin rolls with the starter from a king arthur recipe and they turned out pretty fantastic. For the next batch I'm tempted to let these guys hang out in the fridge 24 hours and see how the sour and sweet go together.

Question - baking sourdough in the dutch oven is great but I want to try square loaf pans so I can get some better sammich bread out of it. It looks like instead of letting the dough hangout in the banneton basket i let it sit overnight in a greased/lined square tin. Other than that seems straightforward - any advice or tweaks to give for this?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Time for another rye bread bake. This is a staple food here.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
sourdough verdict: SOUR

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
But is it dough?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Mr. Squishy posted:

But is it dough?

no

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah it's bread after u bake it dummy

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Super 3 posted:

That's the hooch - generally you can pour it off and you're good.
I know what the hooch looks like. There were colonies of something orange floating on it.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I know what the hooch looks like. There were colonies of something orange floating on it.

Sounds nuts - I'm guessing you didn't snap a pic it?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Super 3 posted:

Sounds nuts - I'm guessing you didn't snap a pic it?

Sadly, no.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
What's the next step after I dial in my regular sourdough? I've tried rosemary/garlic before but the garlic inhibited my rise. Any other good flavor combos

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

What's the next step after I dial in my regular sourdough? I've tried rosemary/garlic before but the garlic inhibited my rise. Any other good flavor combos

I’m awaiting a friend’s verdict on his black peppercorn and Parmesan sourdough loaf, but the ingredient mix sounds promising.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cranberry/walnut is a very good bread.
I don't really care for dried cranberries or walnuts but I will gently caress up some good cranberry/walnut toast.

It also makes fantastic stuffing come holiday time.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the noises a bread makes while cooling.... heck yeah....

e: BREAD

Chard fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 15, 2020

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Pretty drat pleased with these loaves. 10% rye, 20% whole wheat, 70% KA bread flour. About 77% hydration.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

blixa posted:

Pretty drat pleased with these loaves. 10% rye, 20% whole wheat, 70% KA bread flour. About 77% hydration.

How strong does the rye come out? Or perhaps more relevant to what I'm asking: how bitter is it?

We pretty much concluded we're not Northern European black bread people so now I'm trying to figure out how to manage the rye and pumpernickel I have.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How strong does the rye come out? Or perhaps more relevant to what I'm asking: how bitter is it?

We pretty much concluded we're not Northern European black bread people so now I'm trying to figure out how to manage the rye and pumpernickel I have.

With only 10%, it gave a slight hint but not more than that. I think I'm going to try 20% rye, 30% whole wheat, 50% bread flour next time to see if I can get some even more robust rye flavors. But it's nowhere near the type of bread you're referring to, at least not to my taste buds.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

blixa posted:

With only 10%, it gave a slight hint but not more than that. I think I'm going to try 20% rye, 30% whole wheat, 50% bread flour next time to see if I can get some even more robust rye flavors. But it's nowhere near the type of bread you're referring to, at least not to my taste buds.

I'd like to follow that since I don't think I'll be doing much with bread in the next two weeks or so. I was pretty much going all-in on rye and that was too bitter for our palate here. I have some whole-wheat flour too but I haven't settled on any kind of whole-wheat recipe yet.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'd like to follow that since I don't think I'll be doing much with bread in the next two weeks or so. I was pretty much going all-in on rye and that was too bitter for our palate here. I have some whole-wheat flour too but I haven't settled on any kind of whole-wheat recipe yet.

100% rye is definitely an acquired taste! And makes it way hard to work with, almost like it's a paste or something in my experience.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I have a bunch of acid whey left over from making yogurt, the internet says I can substitute the whey for water in breadmaking.

Does anyone have experience doing that, how does it turn out? And what percentage of the water should I try substituting?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I just subbed it all with no issues. With plain white bread gave it a subtle tang, a little sourish. Not sure it did enough for me to keep doing it though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’ve done it before. Noticed no real difference other than the warm glow of not wasting something nutritious and edible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With rye it probably depends a little on the type of flour, there's a lot of different kinds. Back when I had a sourdough starter, I was buying some "light rye" flour from the grocery coop and I could do 50/50 light rye/white flour pretty easily without noticing the rye very much.

Now I've been buying some whole-grain rye (it says vollkornmehl on it) and I've been doing about 13% (by total weight of the flour) and it's definitely noticeably rye-like. Makes the dough nice and gray lol.

Speaking of rye flour, does it tend to make dough a little stickier than it otherwise would be? My dough is about 66% hydration and it's difficult to handle. Or is 66% still in the region of sticky? Shaping it is quite difficult since when I do the pulls to get the skin it just exposes the extremely sticky interior.