Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Scoob is the one that looks the closest to a human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Are those the fake babies that people who suffered through a miscarriage buy

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Maybe the company should be called Big Really Bad Toys.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If you’re a band of three white people and you figure your band’s name is sufficiently associated with slavery that you change it to something else in solidarity with BLM, and then you find that there is already a black artist who has been performing under that something else name for years, maybe, just maybe you shouldn’t sue her.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/09/lady-antebellum-sue-black-singer-lady-a-name-change-anita-white

Ratio on the band’s Twitter is something to behold.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Thunderscoobs are go!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Phanatic posted:

If you’re a band of three white people and you figure your band’s name is sufficiently associated with slavery that you change it to something else in solidarity with BLM, and then you find that there is already a black artist who has been performing under that something else name for years, maybe, just maybe you shouldn’t sue her.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/09/lady-antebellum-sue-black-singer-lady-a-name-change-anita-white

Ratio on the band’s Twitter is something to behold.

While I'm on her side, the title is a little clickbaity: It looks like she's suing them for $10 mil, and they're counter-suing to prevent that.

What's weird is that the band has apparently owned the "Lady A" copyright since 2010. Maybe if you know your band name has slavery connotations you should have changed it a decade ago?

e: I'm still marveling at how the guy who founded a record label named Whities didn't realize the implications, so I looked it up.

quote:

The label was originally founded as a Young Turks imprint, a white label series primarily releasing music from YT affiliated artists,” he explained. “The name Whities was chosen for its reference to to white labels and also as it’s the phonetic spelling of the YT abbreviation.”
:cripes:

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Jul 9, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hyperhazard posted:

While I'm on her side, the title is a little clickbaity: It looks like she's suing them for $10 mil, and they're counter-suing to prevent that.

No, they approached her to say “we’ve changed our name to name you perform under, we hope we can come to some arrangement,” and she said “sure, pay me $10 million” and they said no and are taking her to court to ask a judge to rule that they don’t have to pay her anything. She never sued them, she just asked to be paid.

quote:

What's weird is that the band has apparently owned the "Lady A" copyright since 2010.

Trademark. You can’t copyright a name. And since they never used that trademark as an actual mark in trade, the validity of their claim is very disputable; you tend to lost trademarks you don’t actually use.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pookah posted:

(and I say this as one from a country that allowed paedophiles to run the place for about.100 years :()

I think it's been a bit longer than that, Your Papacy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Why not Lady Antifabellum

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So the band changed their name to avoid racist connotations but are bullying a black woman who's been using their new name for two decades first? What the gently caress is wrong with them?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

'Give me $10 million billion trillion then :D' is kind of a troll, but just cut your losses and move on, Jesus it's not like it's the greatest name ever

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Why not Lady Antifabellum

Because then they would have to make an actual political stance.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

'Give me $10 million billion trillion then :D' is kind of a troll, but just cut your losses and move on, Jesus it's not like it's the greatest name ever

Not to mention, that's not even changing your name. It's abbreviating it. Everyone knows what the A stands for.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

So the band changed their name to avoid racist connotations but are bullying a black woman who's been using their new name for two decades first? What the gently caress is wrong with them?

Hell, it doesn't take a brain genius to read a dictionary, they're only changing it now because that shits out in the open

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell, it doesn't take a brain genius to read a dictionary, they're only changing it now because that shits out in the open
They tried spinning it as "we thought antibellum is a fun southern word, we didn't even understand what it means!"

It's their right to legally challenge for the Lady A name but gently caress em.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Phanatic posted:

No, they approached her to say “we’ve changed our name to name you perform under, we hope we can come to some arrangement,” and she said “sure, pay me $10 million” and they said no and are taking her to court to ask a judge to rule that they don’t have to pay her anything. She never sued them, she just asked to be paid.

Gotcha. That's a lot shittier then. Counting down the hours until they go full Trapt.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zedprime posted:

They tried spinning it as "we thought antibellum is a fun southern word, we didn't even understand what it means!"

It's their right to legally challenge for the Lady A name but gently caress em.

quote:

an·te·bel·lum
/ˌan(t)ēˈbeləm/

adjective
occurring or existing before a particular war, especially the American Civil War.

gently caress them, "fun southern word" is bullshit, I find it hard to believe that they'd never look it up in the dictionary in 20 years.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Phlegmish posted:

Troll's not the right word--it definitely is opportunistic, but I honestly think it is a pretty smart move for the original Lady A to ask for a pretty big payment to use that name.

Alhazred posted:

Because then they would have to make an actual political stance.

Only terminally online people know/care about the term Antifa

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

silence_kit posted:

Troll's not the right word--it definitely is opportunistic, but I honestly think it is a pretty smart move for the original Lady A to ask for a pretty big payment to use that name.

the president of the united states of america has ranted about antifa live on stage during press conferences

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

silence_kit posted:

lol you loving idiot

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

silence_kit posted:

Is Lady Antebellum big in the US or something, I'm only vaguely familiar with their name and I don't even know what type of music they make. Can they reasonably be expected to have millions and millions?

Lady A, no offense to the original artist, is a dumb, generic name. Just pick something different. If they absolutely want to continue the historical American theme, how about Lady Postbellum and it refers to a Puritan New England suffragette who goes into bars to smash the place up

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Alaois posted:

the president of the united states of america has ranted about antifa live on stage during press conferences

Oh, I didn't know that. I usually ignore the President's tweets and his press conferences.

edit:

Phlegmish posted:

Lady A, no offense to the original artist, is a dumb, generic name. Just pick something different. If they absolutely want to continue the historical American theme, how about Lady Postbellum and it refers to a Puritan New England suffragette who goes into bars to smash the place up

Yeah, they should pick something different if they don't want to pay up. I think 'Lady A' is appealing to the band because it is similar to their old name, and almost allows them to keep their old 'brand recognition' (might be abusing this term).

Alaois posted:

sure thing my man

?

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Jul 9, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

silence_kit posted:

Oh, I didn't know that. I usually ignore the President's tweets and his press conferences.

sure thing my man

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Is Lady Antebellum big in the US or something, I'm only vaguely familiar with their name and I don't even know what type of music they make. Can they reasonably be expected to have millions and millions?

They're a country band, so they're popular exclusively in the US and Alberta.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

They're a country band, so they're popular exclusively in the US and Alberta.

They did have an inescapable hit about 10 years ago but not a peep since.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I still like When I Die Young, but the new verse about how things were better before the War of Northern Aggression does seem out of place.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Alaois posted:

To be fair, the president of the united states is the most terminally online of us all

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

misguided rage posted:

You edited but I went to the trouble of finding this so here you all go: https://youtu.be/CEDjAFi7oJ4

E: rofl I completely forgot the song, I thought it was just the visual

There was a similar great/not-great moment when Walking Dead was at its peak popularity. Scene of zombies descending on someone and devouring them; immediate cut to a KFC commercial. I remember the live-posting TVIV crew losing their poo poo over it. I'll see if I can't dig that one up.

fake edit: here we go. Doesn't have the actual ad, but the "brought to you by KFC" right after some brutal flesh-eating is pretty hilarious on its own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXNce4unN8

As an aside, here's a pretty interesting article on how integrating the "brought to you by KFC" evades DVR ad-skipping tech:
https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/188241/walking-deads-graphic-guts-make-a-kfc-spot-dvr-.html

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

To be fair, the president of the united states is the most terminally online of us all

He’s merely the topic of terminally online discourse. He, himself, is unlikely to be reading reddit/4chan/etc. very often.

Either way, it’s super likely that the vast majority of Americans know about Antifa, since it’s been in the media’s narrative for like 3 years at this point lol

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Phlegmish posted:

I’ll have you know Lady Antebellum is only the 6th band from 2010-2019 to have 3 different songs on the Saskatchewan Top 40.

Not all at once though

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
anyone remember when Andrew Jackson Jihad did the same thing, but because their entire name was offensive they just go by "AJJ" now

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
There's a New Zealand band named Shihad that changed their name briefly between 2001 and 2004 to Pacifier, because they got their name from the Dune movie where they misheard the word "jihad". Then they realised they were pandering to American nationalism and changed it back.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Memento posted:

There's a New Zealand band named Shihad that changed their name briefly between 2001 and 2004 to Pacifier, because they got their name from the Dune movie where they misheard the word "jihad". Then they realised they were pandering to American nationalism and changed it back.

This is mostly true, (as I understand it). I thought the name change from Shihad to Pacifier was a record label thing.

They had some issues with their label, so they changed the mane, and those issues got worse, so they changed labels and then changed their name back.

But this was a while ago, so I could be remembering wrongly.

10 Times 10
Nov 12, 2008

oldpainless posted:

I’ll have you know Lady Antebellum is only the 6th band from 2010-2019 to have 3 different songs on the Saskatchewan Top 40.

Not all at once though

More like Old Prairieless.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lady A is a stupid non-change for them anyway because it's still implying the word, like you still think the word, so they're still saying it

As if someone made their username Nstompter88 or whatever, yeah that's still the thing

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

The Bloop posted:

Lady A is a stupid non-change for them anyway because it's still implying the word, like you still think the word, so they're still saying it

As if someone made their username Nstompter88 or whatever, yeah that's still the thing

The whole thing is a no-win situation for name recognition vs. name not-being-awful, because the only way to completely excise the word 'antebellum' from it is to basically change the whole name, which would lose them any name recognition because it's the only distinguishing part of the name.

The Dixie Chicks could lose the 'Dixie' from their name and still do fine, because 'The Chicks' isn't a world away from where they started and some people probably called them that anyway. But the only noteworthy part of the name 'Lady Antebellum' is the word they're trying to distance themselves from.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Lady Anti-Bellosom

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Lady Reconstruction Era.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lady Failed Treasonous Action For Reasons Of Wanting To Indenture People Based On Ethnicity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

1stGear posted:

I still like When I Die Young, but the new verse about how things were better before the War of Northern Aggression does seem out of place.

I think you mean "If I Die Young" which is by the Band Perry, which is named for its members and not, as far as I know, anything to do with slavery, except in the sense that they're white folks from Mississippi.

The person who listened to way too much country radio around a decade ago has logged on.