Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Doesn't something have to like move or something to be considered a machine?

poo poo I can’t figure out how many days in a week, don’t ask too much of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

poo poo I can’t figure out how many days in a week, don’t ask too much of me

It's made of multiple pieces of metal and it's pretty expensive. That makes it a machine :colbert:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

this is a bad post

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 8, 2020

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

nooneofconsequence posted:

this is a bad post

welcome to gbs

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Knight posted:

Bench may be flat but space time is curved

Lift with your brain - or is that cheating, too?

Bench is flat. Earth is flat.

Coincidence?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Nothing is real so lift like your spine doesn't exist.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Second floor bedroom gym is mostly done

pro:
air conditioning

con:
deadlifting is a bad idea but i'm too stupid not to do it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Monday Deadlifts:

145lb warmup (Success)
185lb warmup (Success)
305lb attempt #1(Failure)
305lb attempt #2 (Failure)
305lb attempt #3 (Failure)

I tried removing weight after but the bar wouldn't budge even after going all the way down to 275lb. I figured the jump from 185 to 305 was too large and the three attempts had just sapped what energy I had.

Wednesday Deadlifts:

145lb warmup (Success)
185lb warmup (Success)
225lb warmup (Success)
265lb warmup (Success)
305lb attempt #1 (Failure)
305lb attempt #2 (Failure)

I had maybe a half second pause on the first deadlift on the way up as I got past the sticking point, but they all felt good otherwise. 305 moved maybe a centimeter off the ground.

Deadlifts were the fourth exercise I did, coming in after rows, squats, and overhead press, so I think I might just be attempting it too far into the workout. I did do the 290x3 at the same point in the workout on a different day, so I don't know if the extra 15lb is just that noticeable or if I should try at the very start of a workout and see what happens.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

That's definitely a lot of poo poo before deadlifts - I personally like doing deadlifts first so I'm fresh for them but if you squat and DL on the same day I'm guessing most people would recommend DL second after squats.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I never used to deadlift when I squatted. Too much cns stress if you want to go hard, and not going hard on deadlifts was never an option

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

VorpalFish posted:

That's definitely a lot of poo poo before deadlifts - I personally like doing deadlifts first so I'm fresh for them but if you squat and DL on the same day I'm guessing most people would recommend DL second after squats.

I prefer leaving deadlifts for last, otherwise I don’t give it all, back of my mind is thinking “better save some for the rest”

These days no way I could deadlift and squat on the same day, but I did it 10+ years ago and I got very thick and strong, it definitely works if you can stand it

Squat and deadlift to failure or near failure

After a while it increased my migraines and I got sick more often after a while, so I just went back to regular workouts

Maybe should’ve done steroids

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

A spider has taken up residence in my bench. Please bless me with spider gains.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Imagine how much you could squat with eight legs!

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Mustached Demon posted:

Imagine how much you could squat with eight legs!

But imagine how long leg day would take!

That gym class test where you climb a rope would be easier.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I prefer leaving deadlifts for last, otherwise I don’t give it all, back of my mind is thinking “better save some for the rest”

These days no way I could deadlift and squat on the same day, but I did it 10+ years ago and I got very thick and strong, it definitely works if you can stand it

Squat and deadlift to failure or near failure

After a while it increased my migraines and I got sick more often after a while, so I just went back to regular workouts

Maybe should’ve done steroids

I don't like doing them on the same day either, but the dude I was responding to has DLs 4th in line and is doing squats first which I have to imagine is substantially reducing what he can pull.

I mean it's still productive work since the lower weight is probably balanced by the pre fatigue, but personally I like being 100% fresh to maximize pulling.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Praying to the Aztec Gods of Fitness today for some help.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I wish I had the space for one of these:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

buy first and figure it out later

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

At times like this you need to ask yourself how badly you need to have a bed, really?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I might pick up a pair of 45's today. The biggest plates I have are 25's because I started only a pair of olympic handles. It might be expensive, not sure.

A lot of people are getting sick from gyms here.

edit: hahaha nevermind the shipment they got today already sold out

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 11, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Someone in the thread asked before if a blacksmith could make you plates. The answer is yes, any kind of metalworker can make plates. Ask for a quote on price.

Necronormiecon
Mar 12, 2019

Farewell, sweet Nerevar. Better luck on your next incarnation.
what’s the best ab exercise for a person who hates doing sit-ups of any kind, but is not smart enough to figure out TRX stuff. asking for a friend

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

doverhog posted:

Someone in the thread asked before if a blacksmith could make you plates. The answer is yes, any kind of metalworker can make plates. Ask for a quote on price.

That was me, actually! I reached out to a few near me but they all just did artisanal stuff and told me they didn't do that type of work. Iron is dirt cheap, too. I figured that would have been an easy way for them to make some money.

In deadlifting news, I tried doing them second, after rows.

-Empty Bar RDLs (Warmup)
-95lb RDLs (Warmup)
-135lb RDLs (Warmup)
-135lb Deadlift x5 (Warmup)
-185lb Deadlift x5
-225lb Deadlift x3
-265lb Deadlift x3
-275lb Deadlift x1 (more was doable)
-285lb Deadlift x1 (more was doable)
-290lb Deadlift x1 (could have done one more)
-295lb Deadlift x1 (failed to get past the sticking point)

I do a lot of warmups because I hurt my back years ago when I tried to do deadlifts with the same weight I had just finished doing squats with, with absolutely no build up. Bending over to tie my shoes or pushing off a chair caused a lot of pain for months. I had to stop squatting for a long time, and even using the leg press would make my back ache.

I think I should have just gone to 295lb right after the 285lb, but I don't think I would have gotten 300lb off the ground. I might just try to do more sets/reps at a 265+ until they get easier and slowly work my way up that way.

Necronormiecon posted:

what’s the best ab exercise for a person who hates doing sit-ups of any kind, but is not smart enough to figure out TRX stuff. asking for a friend

Hanging leg raises. Planks? Uh, that exercise where you're kind of doing a sideways plank and you kind of lift your hip up? Sit in a chair, hold a broom stick like you're squatting, and twist from side to side, maybe? Any compound exercise that involves the core. DIET (willpower exercise).

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 11, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Why aren't you doing your deadlifts first?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Rows just seemed really low impact since I max out at body weight on the bar, so I didn't think they'd affect the deadlifts (and I wanted to use them to get the blood flowin').

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Necronormiecon posted:

Planks (regular, side, whatever). I do a lot of leg raises. If you've got a bar you can hang from, knee raises. Flutter kicks?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Necronormiecon posted:

Leg raises maybe? I like to hold a plate above my forehead while doing it as sort of a counterweight or something.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Leg raises maybe? I like to hold a plate above my forehead while doing it as sort of a counterweight or something.

I like the variant where you grab someone's ankles and they throw your legs down. Forces you to brace and stop your feet from hitting the floor and then you raise them back up.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Batterypowered7 posted:

That was me, actually! I reached out to a few near me but they all just did artisanal stuff and told me they didn't do that type of work. Iron is dirt cheap, too. I figured that would have been an easy way for them to make some money.

That's strange, although I guess what they said was that they didn't want to do it, rather than they didn't know how. Maybe they have a back log of orders, or maybe the consider themselves artists above that kind of work, who knows.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Spiders are weak as gently caress bud, you want to get some ants colonising your stuff

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Failed a bench rep for the first time at home. Scary poo poo. I knew in my brain exactly what I'm supposed to do and I just... didn't do it. I tried to power through and was able to grind the bar just up to the rack which was really stupid. Felt like someone took a bat to my hamstrings after. At least I didn't die. That's gonna give me a mental block for awhile.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Failed a bench rep for the first time at home. Scary poo poo. I knew in my brain exactly what I'm supposed to do and I just... didn't do it. I tried to power through and was able to grind the bar just up to the rack which was really stupid. Felt like someone took a bat to my hamstrings after. At least I didn't die. That's gonna give me a mental block for awhile.

Do you keep the clips off? Not at home, but I did have to bail out of a bench rep once at the gym by unloading the weight off one side. Someone then heroically leapt to save me... after I had half the weight off and the bar was mostly off to the side.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Do you have a rack with arms/safeties? If so, see if you can set the safeties low enough that you can still have the bar touch your chest, but not your neck. Then, you can just slide the bar up and on to the safeties above your neck and wriggle out from under it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Do you keep the clips off? Not at home, but I did have to bail out of a bench rep once at the gym by unloading the weight off one side. Someone then heroically leapt to save me... after I had half the weight off and the bar was mostly off to the side.
no clips. Like I said, I know how to fail (relatively) safely. I've planned it out and played it out in my head, it just didn't happen.

ObsidianBeast posted:

Do you have a rack with arms/safeties?
I wish. My life would be at least 5% better.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

no clips. Like I said, I know how to fail (relatively) safely. I've planned it out and played it out in my head, it just didn't happen.

I wish. My life would be at least 5% better.

Yeah, I guess I was just kind of fishing for what you meant by knowing how to fail safely.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Just do the roll of shame. The enduring pain on your abs reminds you not to fail again.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VorpalFish posted:

Just do the roll of shame. The enduring pain on your abs reminds you not to fail again.

Is it the roll of shame if no one's around to witness?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I tested the roll of shame with 135 and it loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RamboMoe
Aug 12, 2005

This account was a birthday gift from my brother. I wanted an RC car. Fuck you.
You can't roll of shame 400 lbs