Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

pun pundit posted:

Podcast games:
Slay the Spire
Burnout Paradise
Euro Truck Simulator
Elite: Dangerous (once you know the basic mechanics)

Any game you know well enough to not have to read / think about things too hard. I play Dark Souls to podcasts, but I'm weird. Your favourite ARPG probably works well for this.

I've been using Hardspace: Shipbreaker, but the same sort of games with 'pleasant tedium' work well. Stuff like House Flipper, Car Mechanic sims, Master of Pottery, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Evig Vandrar posted:

I'm looking for something I can play while listening to podcasts, so something that doesn't engage my brain too much through text I guess. Sports, driving games and low-level online chess work, but what else?
Stellaris. For a 4x it's really chill outside of the hardest difficulty levels and I'll listen to whatever while playing when I don't feel like listening to the base game's phenomenal soundtrack.

Also, minecraft

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Can anyone recommend a modern equivalent to Fallout 1 & 2? Some isometric RPG that's non-fantasy and clearly inspired by pen and paper? With lots of possible builds?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Riatsala posted:

Can anyone recommend a modern equivalent to Fallout 1 & 2? Some isometric RPG that's non-fantasy and clearly inspired by pen and paper? With lots of possible builds?

Underrail

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Riatsala posted:

Haven't played it, but people seem to like ATOM RPG

Seconding Underrail, it's good

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm finding Satisfactory to be a good podcast game. There's not really any way to fail by lack of paying attention so you can kind of just go at your own pace.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Disco Elysium is very Fallout albeit with no real combat. The HBS Shadowrun games fit what you're asking for to a tee.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
From what I've read from the classic RPG thread, Underrail is pretty limited on viable buids, with plenty of trap options.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Riatsala posted:

Wasteland 2

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fat Samurai posted:

From what I've read from the classic RPG thread, Underrail is pretty limited on viable buids, with plenty of trap options.

The expansion helped in that regard, my main con with the game is that is has a moderately steep entry barrier. If you go into it blind and without a defined build from the get go you can have some trouble at some points, especially with the oddity xp system.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

All great suggestions. I have tried Wasteland 2 and found it to be pretty tedious after a certain point but I do look forward to 3.

I'll look into the others. Thanks!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Disco Elysium is very Fallout albeit with no real combat. The HBS Shadowrun games fit what you're asking for to a tee.

The Shadowruns are great, I recommend skipping to the second one, Dragonfall. There are some good improvements made between 1 and 2, and unless you have many many hours to burn on them it's worth going straight to the best one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evig Vandrar posted:

Definitely Football Manager. NBA 2K also has a solid Franchise mode which allows you to control multiple teams and watch CPU vs CPU games. Get yourself a CPU vs CPU slider set and enjoy.

Edit:

I'm looking for something I can play while listening to podcasts, so something that doesn't engage my brain too much through text I guess. Sports, driving games and low-level online chess work, but what else?
Kerbal Space Program is literally the reason I started listening to podcasts

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

The Shadowruns are great, I recommend skipping to the second one, Dragonfall. There are some good improvements made between 1 and 2, and unless you have many many hours to burn on them it's worth going straight to the best one.

The best one is Hong Kong imo but I enjoyed dragonfall a lot

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I'm looking for a somewhat casual racing experience. I played and enjoyed Shift 2 a lot, and I really just wanna...buy cool cars and upgrade them?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm looking for a game where I can make the numbers go up. I want a shitload of things I can upgrade and improve through various avenues. I usually get my fix from idle/incremental games and MMOs, but at this point I think I've played every major idle game and at least tried every major MMO. I've also extensively played all the big diablolikes.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Elswyyr posted:

I'm looking for a game where I can make the numbers go up. I want a shitload of things I can upgrade and improve through various avenues. I usually get my fix from idle/incremental games and MMOs, but at this point I think I've played every major idle game and at least tried every major MMO. I've also extensively played all the big diablolikes.

Disgaea series
Monster Hunter World
?Persona series with fancy monster fusions?
I don’t know if it’s a big Diablo like or not but Warhammer 40K Inquisitor Martyr is a cool aRPG if you like Warhammer stuff.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Elswyyr posted:

If you also like shooting mans the Division games are a real numberfest so far.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

Bit off the wall maybe but how about something like Factorio?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Elswyyr posted:

If you can stand Muds and Dragonball, try Dragonball Infinity. Can't think of anything more 'number go up'

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Michaellaneous posted:

I'm looking for a somewhat casual racing experience. I played and enjoyed Shift 2 a lot, and I really just wanna...buy cool cars and upgrade them?

Burnout Paradise is still the best car game ever made imo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Elswyyr posted:

Vermintide 2

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My favorite number going up game is Punch Club, where you have to keep working out to get your stats up to be a better fighter to avenge your dead father in the boxing ring.

You also have to do side jobs to get money to keep your character fed and pay for gym memberships. The whole thing is mainly about trying to squeeze as much as you can out of every hour of your character's day.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Punch Club would have been a much better game if you could turn the grindiness down.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

iSurrender posted:

Punch Club would have been a much better game if you could turn the grindiness down.

IIRC they patched in an easy/story mode where your stats don't decay or decay much slower. It's probably really poorly done, but the option is there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Elswyyr posted:

You want the Disgaea series, it's basically the mutant offspring of an incremental clicker and a tactics RPG. The whole game revolves around finding more efficient and clever ways to grind (or bypass grinding) and make your characters gain thousands of levels at once (and then reincarnate them back to level 1 for an inherited stat bonus, etc.)

There are dozens of overlapping subsystems for making your characters stronger and it piles on more and more as the series continues.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 11, 2020

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wanna play a video game but I don't know what I wanna play. This is a frequent struggle for me. I would love to find a good mindless dungeon crawler. Like, I think back fondly at stuff like Dark Cloud and the .Hack games. They weren't *good* games but sometimes I just want to churn through randomly generated dungeons and fight monsters. Hell, I really liked Rogue Legacy until it got far too easy and repetitive. Anyone know anything that would scratch this itch?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I wanna play a video game but I don't know what I wanna play. This is a frequent struggle for me. I would love to find a good mindless dungeon crawler. Like, I think back fondly at stuff like Dark Cloud and the .Hack games. They weren't *good* games but sometimes I just want to churn through randomly generated dungeons and fight monsters. Hell, I really liked Rogue Legacy until it got far too easy and repetitive. Anyone know anything that would scratch this itch?

Weirdly enough I'm gonna point you to the EDF series, specifically 4.1 and 5. They're casual hoard shooters where you in third-person mow down a billion ants and they're mindless but lots of fun.

Also .hack//GU is on steam!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My turn for a question:

What's missing? What deckbuilders or similar thinky card things SHOULD be on there?

e: Added System Crash, I love that single-player TCG. So there's +1.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Weirdly enough I'm gonna point you to the EDF series, specifically 4.1 and 5. They're casual hoard shooters where you in third-person mow down a billion ants and they're mindless but lots of fun.

Also .hack//GU is on steam!

I like EDF well enough, but I think I'm looking more for the RPG dungeon crawler than a shooter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

It's not quite "mindless" but you should check out Dungeonmans, a goon-made roguelike. It's super accessible, there's a metaprogression layer that lets your dead characters pass power (bonus stats, skills, and equipment) to newly-created characters, and it's really good for creating that dungeon-crawling flow state.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn for a question:

What's missing? What deckbuilders or similar thinky card things SHOULD be on there?

Trials of Fire is pretty good! However, it's still in early access.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn for a question:

You may want to wishlist Floppy Knights. It's an upcoming turn-based tactical game where you setup a deck and use the cards to summon/command your troops.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn for a question:

Card Hunter, Guild of Dungeoneering, and Ironclad Tactics. I played Star Realms for probably way too long, but it's kinda lacking on the videogame side of things since it's basically just a digital version of the card game.

My absolute favorite videogame card game is the Pokémon Trading Card Game for gameboy, but that'd be a mess to get. The sequel was never officially released in english and can only be played with :filez:.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mordiceius posted:

When in doubt, Dark Souls. Throw yourself down the Souls Hole

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's not quite "mindless" but you should check out Dungeonmans, a goon-made roguelike. It's super accessible, there's a metaprogression layer that lets your dead characters pass power (bonus stats, skills, and equipment) to newly-created characters, and it's really good for creating that dungeon-crawling flow state.
I've been getting back into Dungeonmans, and while I'm still terrible I was able to hit a critical mass of mediocrity where I could consistently hit level 10 and churn out a long family history of Professors (Living retired or dead past level 10 ghosts who let you max out a skill on start) for the academy. Which let me basically jumpstart myself real goddamned hard to break into the "Okay now go out there and find the star anvil for even more power" gameplay because I can start a mans with a complete mastery of necromancy, archery, armor, and more out the door :v:

Also according to the discord, someone who picked up the game during the summer sale is an insane savant who hit 1 BILLION damage :stare:

EDIT: For some clarity, all of the start of character power boosts are entirely optional. You gotta talk to the professors or unlocked "Identify all consumables" NPCs before you first leave the academy. Though coming back to your stash at the blacksmith or spending your stockpile of stat emblems is something you can do at any time. So you can fine tune each new guy to just how much of a leg up you want to apply. In case two hotbars worth of inherited multiclass abilities at level 1 feels like cheating to you.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 12, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Card Hunter, Guild of Dungeoneering, and Ironclad Tactics. I played Star Realms for probably way too long, but it's kinda lacking on the videogame side of things since it's basically just a digital version of the card game.

My absolute favorite videogame card game is the Pokémon Trading Card Game for gameboy, but that'd be a mess to get. The sequel was never officially released in english and can only be played with :filez:.

Card Hunter: installing now
Guild of Dungeoneering: no. I tried this and didn't like it.
Ironclad: huh. Not interested by the civil war thing, but... zachtronics.
Star Realms: installing now
Pokemon TCG: already played when I was a kid!

Everything else recced on the wishlist - thank you!

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
Thank you all for the podcast game suggestions.

Splicer posted:

Kerbal Space Program is literally the reason I started listening to podcasts

That's sounds pretty good. I'll try it, hope it works for me unlike

Got it, but I find that I have to concentrate too hard on micromanagement so I miss out on parts of podcasts. Might just be me.

ecavalli posted:

Mudrunners/Snowrunners
Animal Crossing/Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon (any “life” sim, really)
Almost all rogue likes would be pretty great for this.

Saw Mudrunners/Snowrunners, looked fun. Might look into it. Good call on the roguelikes, Maybe I'll try FTL again.

Riatsala posted:

Someone said Shadowrun, and I'd wholly recommend it. There are fantasy elements such as various non-human races and some magic, but it's a lot more Fallout than DnD. Shadowrun: Hong Kong is the isometric RPG I've enjoyed the most along with Fallout 1.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Minecraft Dungeons is a diablo clone that you can play through the xbox game pass thing

Or just go for Diablo 3, it sort of has a "runner's high" approach to rhythmic massacre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

StrixNebulosa posted:

My turn for a question:

Card City Nights?