Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Data Graham posted:

Someone's mad about the "goatee & sunglasses in a truck avatar = ur about to get a HOT TAKE" meme

They really are incapable of getting things, too. They know they're being mocked but not how or why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/princeleron/status/1281232508466663424

That sounds like the recipe for a healthy relationship!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Anti-PC culture warrior types who are also dying for an MLS podcast is the smallest niche I could conceive of for a grift.

If it was for Women's soccer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My cousin has something important to say about changes to school zone speed limit rules

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It is bullshit. 30 kph is ridiculously slow, speed limits around here don't even go that low in a flashing yellow zone

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RandomFerret posted:

It is bullshit. 30 kph is ridiculously slow, speed limits around here don't even go that low in a flashing yellow zone

They're 20mph = 32.2kph around here for school zones during school hours.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

20mph/30kph is about how slow you have to go to have a reasonable chance of not killing children if you hit them, so direct your complaints to physics I guess.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RandomFerret posted:

It's... the standard speed limit for playground/school zones in this region and have been for years? What's new is when it's in effect (always).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The elementary school near me has the unenjoyable combination of 20MPH limits with big chonky speed bumps, so you'll literally have a line of cars crawling over this tall bump going KATONK.... KATONK

KATONK.... KATONK

KATONK.... KATONK

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

OwlFancier posted:

20mph/30kph is about how slow you have to go to have a reasonable chance of not killing children if you hit them, so direct your complaints to physics I guess.

I will direct my complaints to the children, thank you very much.

"You little bastard, you dented my hood!"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

RandomFerret posted:

That's because you live in a hell hole that doesnt value life.

Sorry you're 3 minutes late.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/Mirkked/status/1280427433196433409?s=19

But then why would the Vatican want to destroy the big bones?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you keep digging there you're gonna wake up Nito.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I assume the flashing lights are there to signal when the next child is about to cross, like when you're clay shooting and somebody yells pull.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

If you keep digging there you're gonna wake up Nito.

It could only be an improvement.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Why in the world would one object to driving slowly around children?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mushika posted:

Many people turn into huge assholes when their right to driving at ludicrous speeds is challenged in any way, even people you'd think would be normal. This disease is very prominent in the US but can be found anywhere with cars and people.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mushika posted:

It's not driving slow around children, it's that the school speed limit is in effect constantly. So on a Saturday night in the middle of summer at 2:30 am, it's the same speed limit as it would be at 9:30 on a Monday during the school year.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

It's not driving slow around children, it's that the school speed limit is in effect constantly. So on a Saturday night in the middle of summer at 2:30 am, it's the same speed limit as it would be at 9:30 on a Monday during the school year.

it's not, though? that's what the flashers are for. the reduced speed limit is in effect only when school is in session

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

boar guy posted:

it's not, though? that's what the flashers are for. the reduced speed limit is in effect only when school is in session

The new law that was being responded to is making it 24/7 to be that speed in school zones in Vancouver. That's the point.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

You know that extra-curricular activities exist, right? Not every grade school has a summer break at the same time as well.

It's not going to hurt anyone to slow the gently caress down.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

boar guy posted:

I'm just reading the headline:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

im an idiot

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Almost every school around here has a playground. I wasn't aware that children are only ever on playgrounds during school hours :shrug:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Where the gently caress are you going at 230am that's near a school but also urgent enough to go 20+ kph? Who gives a poo poo if it might save a kid?

The solution is obvious, ban all private cars and replace roads with a network of busses, trollies, and trains. You can't speed if owning a car only happens in old movies.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mushika posted:

a lot of people get really mad if their freedoms are curtailed slightly for the consideration of other people. look at how many people are throwing giant baby tantrums about being told to wear masks indoors

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

The fact that we are more than a dozen posts into a discussion about school playground speed limits and no one has made a joke about the maximum speed you can drive and still get kids into your van shows me what a different place something awful dot com is from 10 years ago.

Not worse, just...different

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
A more consistent speed limit is more enforceable and has more adherence.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

T-man posted:

Where the gently caress are you going at 230am that's near a school but also urgent enough to go 20+ kph? Who gives a poo poo if it might save a kid?

The solution is obvious, ban all private cars and replace roads with a network of busses, trollies, and trains. You can't speed if owning a car only happens in old movies.

There's a main road (4 lane) by me that is 45mph/70kph that drops down to 15mph/25kph during times that school is either coming in or out to enable the buses and cars to more easily enter and exit the school.

I pass it at 5:15am. If I had to deal with the school zone at that time in the morning it would be really annoying because there's pretty much no one on the road at that time and no reason for the school zone to be active at that point in the morning.
I have no issue with the school zone being active on my way home because it's necessary at that point, as kids, cars, and buses are trying to leave the school.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Jul 9, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

https://twitter.com/Mirkked/status/1280427433196433409?s=19

But then why would the Vatican want to destroy the big bones?

Pope John Paul said evolution doesn't contradict the existence of God.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

letthereberock posted:

The fact that we are more than a dozen posts into a discussion about school playground speed limits and no one has made a joke about the maximum speed you can drive and still get kids into your van shows me what a different place something awful dot com is from 10 years ago.

Not worse, just...different

I was gonna make a joke that AFewBricksShy is a pedophile drag racer but decided that was more cspam than PYF.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

AFewBricksShy posted:

There's a main road (4 lane) by me that is 45mph/70kph that drops down to 15mph/25kph during times that school is either coming in or out to enable the buses and cars to more easily enter and exit the school.

I pass it at 5:15am. If I had to deal with the school zone at that time in the morning it would be really annoying because there's pretty much no one on the road at that time and no reason for the school zone to be active at that point in the morning.
I have no issue with the school zone being active on my way home because it's necessary at that point, as kids, cars, and buses are trying to leave the school.

So you're mad at the hypothetical of not going 40 in a school zone at 5am because "I'm sure it isn't gonna hurt anyone," universally said before Karen turns a kid into a hood ornament. OK.

I hear a bunch of vroom vroom cars at 2am and I guess it's people like you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Piell posted:

"I have an idea for a hoax! We'll convince the news media that white supremacists are going around using the OK symbol to signal to each other!"
"Sounds great, how will we do that?"
"We'll have white supremacists go around using the OK symbol to signal to each other!"

It's not a "hoax", in that it's not "something that isn't happening but people are pretending it is." It is, instead a planned operation that succeeded. 4chan got white supremacists to use the OK symbol to signal each other (it helps that /pol/ has a lot of white supremacists).

See the ADL's article on it.

If it's a rando using it, it's probably just the OK symbol. If it's a alt-right/far-right/particularly online shithead, it's probably white supremacist signalling/"trolling". (The troll here is they pretend to be white supremacists when they actually just hate black people! It's totally different!)

My thoughts on the OK symbol are a lot like my thoughts on the swastika: There are contexts where it's ok (it's a traditional symbol in buddhism and the nazi version has a particular look that the rest don't share) and ones where it's not ok, and if you are willing to think critically for even a moment whenever you encounter it you will be able to figure out what that context is virtually 100% of the time. It's also not hard to figure out when one person is pretending to mean it the first way to try and hide the fact that they actually mean it the second way because they have an almost pathological need to let you know they're getting away with it.

In short, if you see someone flashing the OK symbol you'll know whether or not it's benign.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's perfectly legal to go 20 over the speed limit in a school zone if you have somewhere important ot be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?s=20

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

T-man posted:

So you're mad at the hypothetical of not going 40 in a school zone at 5am because "I'm sure it isn't gonna hurt anyone," universally said before Karen turns a kid into a hood ornament. OK.

I hear a bunch of vroom vroom cars at 2am and I guess it's people like you.

What the gently caress?
I'm doing the speed limit. Dropping the speed limit 66% for no reason doesn't make sense. Quit being an rear end in a top hat. I don't have any issues with school zones, I just don't necessarily think they should be permanent when the technology exists to have them on at times they are needed, and then to allow the road to revert to the originally specified speed limit when they are not.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Jul 10, 2020

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's a very good reason: speeding ticket revenue

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
gently caress school zones I’m hitting 88 in my DeLorean bitcth

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

:qq: my speed limits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AFewBricksShy posted:

Quit being an rear end in a top hat.

You haven't met T-man before, have you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)