Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
For a very short while I got one of those Ryzen 3700u 13" HP Envys and it was pretty much slick looking and otherwise a piece of poo poo. The best part was that it would never stop depleting the battery in sleep mode and googling about it revealed that it's endemic to a lot of HP laptops. Returned in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Spacedad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBzq1muMVU

Oof. Looks like I'll be getting the 3900x for my art/animation workstation build then.

I'm not liking this '100 bucks for a letter' trend going on with the new CPUs.

Technically, it's still $50 for a letter. You're just paying for two letters.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

For a very short while I got one of those Ryzen 3700u 13" HP Envys and it was pretty much slick looking and otherwise a piece of poo poo. The best part was that it would never stop depleting the battery in sleep mode and googling about it revealed that it's endemic to a lot of HP laptops. Returned in a heartbeat.

Not specifically aimed at OldFatMike, but lest you think that I have exhausted my list of complaints with the previous AMD 2-in-1, oh no, buddy, I just haven't been at a keyboard all day. There are so many problems with those laptops that I haven't even BEGUN to detail in length.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 9, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

peepsalot posted:

So I guess my main question is regarding the newer B550 variations (which could save me up to a whopping $20!) if there's any reason not to get one?
I don't really get much about the differences, but as far as I understand:
  • VRM is exactly the same across the 550/570 variations of this series
  • If I got B550, the 3900X would have to go on that board, since it won't support Ryzen 2000?
  • B550 doesn't do PCIe 4.0? but I'm not too fussed about that
  • That's basically it???

As was noted earlier, pricing and inventory on everything is up in the air due to COVID. So keep that in mind, stuff goes out of stock moment to moment and some prices are jacked up ridiculously while others seem perfectly normal. poo poo's weird.

VRM/power delivery/etc. is often NOT identical between B550 and X570 versions of boards, actually. Sometimes it's comparable, sometimes it's worse on paper, though on average they seem to be beefier and more "enthusiast focused" than the B450 equivalent. IIRC the B550 TUF is a downgrade (on paper, not necessarily real use) vs. the x570 version (8+2 power stages vs. 12+2).

Yet another disclaimer: half this poo poo isn't even buy-able and there aren't a lot of hands-on comparisons of X570 vs B550 IRL performance.

B550 has pcie4.0 for 1 video card x16 slot and 1 m.2 slot, everything else is 3.0, while x570 doesn't have that limitation. Of course right now it doesn't matter either way.

e: I think if/when things settle down, the B550 boards will be just as good as the X570 boards for most users, unless you have a morbid fear that not being able to run two pcie 4.0 video cards and two pcie 4.0 SSDs at once will eventually be a big handicap. Which is theoretically possible but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 9, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Technically, it's still $50 for a letter. You're just paying for two letters.

"It's kind of like a buy one get one free except you pay the same price for the second one"

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Statutory Ape posted:

"It's kind of like a buy one get one free except you pay the same price for the second one"

"First rule in [tech] spending: Why [have] one when you can have two at twice the price?"

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

i hope not i still havent received 2 bongs i ordered on ebay

My earphones just showed up, 4 months after order. Hang in there!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Statutory Ape posted:

For Sale:
Baby shoes, priced each

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I don't understand this '100 for a letter' bs, if they raised the prices sure, that is what Intel would have done. Instead they put the better silicon at the same price point and drop the price of original, still good, CPUs.

If you done want to pay ( the same price) for better silicon quality then you saved a bunch of money? And people are upset? The gently caress?

Its not like these were being marketed as a new generation.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Mr. Crow is correct. The youtube personas are putting out some ultra dumb hot takes to get your clicks. Just think for yourself.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
at least you get what you pay for with Intel. It is undeniably top tier silicon and overclocks significantly better (or runs at much lower voltage at iso clocks).

HWUB's 3900XT performs a grand total of 11 MHz better than their 3900X. Not missing a zero, eleven megahertz.

Best you can say about the XTs is that the infinity fabric does a bit better.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Mr. Crow is correct. The youtube personas are putting out some ultra dumb hot takes to get your clicks. Just think for yourself.

The XTs perform identically to the prior parts for significantly higher price. You shouldn't buy them, they are terrible values. Buy the original parts or wait from Zen3.

Like the 10900K/10700K/2700 Anniversary Edition etc, being a terrible value does not mean they are objectively BAD CPUs. The XTs are very good CPUs. But that doesn't mean you should buy them with whatever wacky funbucks youve got in your wallet.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 9, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Welp, here come the Intel Apologists

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I mean yes, they're terrible value in the current market so just, you know don't buy them. Like the 3600/3700x/3900x still exist and are great value for their respective use cases.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SourKraut posted:

Welp, here come the Intel Apologists

sorry about your preorder i guess?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Cygni posted:

sorry about your preorder i guess?

Oh I didn't preorder it; I have a 3700X that's keeping me happy.

Mostly just poking some fun at the fact that AMD releases a money-grabbing update and people poo poo on it, but nVidia and Intel do it, and we hear about how great it is that they keep wringing 0.5% performance gains*. Mostly that Intel can do no wrong in your and Paul's eyes. :)

*rhetorical comment/joke not based on research

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I went like 17 straight years exclusively buying AMD CPUs, including for my college computer assembly side business, so I'm not sure if I really qualify as an Intel apologist. I absolutely was an AMD apologist for a long long time, though.

I dunno, i dont think you should be loyal to any of these truly evil multi-billion dollar dipshit companies with incredible histories of consumer deception and legal dogshit. if that makes me anti AMD then i am definitely anti Intel and Nvidia, too. The fanboyism around AMD lately has been really fuckin annoying all over the internet, with people willing to breathlessly defend a lot of really lovely and stupid moves on their part just because they arent as bad as Intel in some ways. Being slightly better than the company that holds multiple anti-trust enforcement records. Like, that shouldnt be the bar here...

I also don't think my opinions are Intel friendly, considering the only CPUs from them I think anyone should consider right now is the 10900K if all you care about is framez and you have an unlimited budget and maybe the 10400 on the low end? Maybe? Otherwise I think pretty much everyone should be getting a 3600 non X, which I've built 2 of recently for family members.

If anything, im a Apple silicon on the Mac apologist now cause i think thats gonna whip rear end :v:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
I haven't built an AMD system in roughly three Presidents worth of time, but I'm looking at slapping together a Ryzen build for development and video editing. While doing my initial research, I've come across a lot of posts bemoaning the fact you can't (easily/safely) use Ryzen Master with Hyper-V enabled.

Hyper-V is mandatory for my needs. Am I likely care about Ryzen Master at all?

Near as I can discern it primarily lets you tweak system settings without booting back into BIOS/EFI. I have no plans to overclock, so "mess with my timings and frequencies while booted into Windows" isn't much of a priority. I assume the sensor data Ryzen Master has access to is supported just as well by any other hardware monitor, yeah?

The only thing I'd appear to give up is Eco Mode, but this is basically a single-purpose system. Intentionally slowing down compile times or video editing speed to get a lower TDP really isn't my goal.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cygni posted:

If anything, im a Apple silicon on the Mac apologist now cause i think thats gonna whip rear end :v:

Yeah, no joke, I might pick up an entry level MacBook when these hit to check out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Molten Llama posted:

I haven't built an AMD system in roughly three Presidents worth of time, but I'm looking at slapping together a Ryzen build for development and video editing. While doing my initial research, I've come across a lot of posts bemoaning the fact you can't (easily/safely) use Ryzen Master with Hyper-V enabled.

Hyper-V is mandatory for my needs. Am I likely care about Ryzen Master at all?

Near as I can discern it primarily lets you tweak system settings without booting back into BIOS/EFI. I have no plans to overclock, so "mess with my timings and frequencies while booted into Windows" isn't much of a priority. I assume the sensor data Ryzen Master has access to is supported just as well by any other hardware monitor, yeah?

The only thing I'd appear to give up is Eco Mode, but this is basically a single-purpose system. Intentionally slowing down compile times or video editing speed to get a lower TDP really isn't my goal.

Nah, you won't be missing anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anything you can do with Ryzen Master, you should be able to do with the BIOS/UEFI

There is someone that managed to hack Ryzen Master into being compatible with Hyper-V, but you still don't want to do it anyway, because if you tinker with memory timings on Ryzen Master and get to a config that doesn't work, you can get stuck in a boot loop that can only be broken with a CMOS reset, so you still shouldn't be doing it

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 10, 2020

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cygni posted:

The XTs perform identically to the prior parts for significantly higher price. You shouldn't buy them, they are terrible values. Buy the original parts or wait from Zen3.

Like the 10900K/10700K/2700 Anniversary Edition etc, being a terrible value does not mean they are objectively BAD CPUs. The XTs are very good CPUs. But that doesn't mean you should buy them with whatever wacky funbucks youve got in your wallet.

The comparison is apples to oranges and performance is factually false. While I wouldn't recommend it to most consumers, if your an overclocker (who are always paying premiums for marginal gains) it could be a good choice if you're concerned about silicon quality. For everyone else you get a drop in price.

There is literally no reason to be up in arms over this surprise announcement.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
No one is up in arms. They're saying the XT products are poo poo value and people shouldn't buy them, which is objectively true.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

For everyone else you get a drop in price.

Sorry, I haven't looked at / watched the XT reviews (was pretty easy to guess they wouldn't be very exciting ahead of time). But has AMD actually dropped the wholesale price of the 3600, 3700X, & 3800X as well? Before launch I was under the impression the prices for old CPUs were unchanged, and the XTs were just slotting into the gaps.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

Sorry, I haven't looked at / watched the XT reviews (was pretty easy to guess they wouldn't be very exciting ahead of time). But has AMD actually dropped the wholesale price of the 3600, 3700X, & 3800X as well? Before launch I was under the impression the prices for old CPUs were unchanged, and the XTs were just slotting into the gaps.

It's my understanding that the XT models are priced at what the non-XT models were originally set to on their release, and the non-XT models have been dropped in price.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mr. Crow posted:

if your an overclocker (who are always paying premiums for marginal gains)

Their freedom with their wallets doesn't mean what they do isn't completely dumb from a value perspective.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Palladium posted:

Their freedom with their wallets doesn't mean what they do isn't completely dumb from a value perspective.

No argument, does not change the silicon quality of which they have websites dedicated to buying and testing superior binned CPUs https://siliconlottery.com/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Palladium posted:

What’s the standard of value, then?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

What’s the standard of value, then?

"Intel"

(Honestly, I mostly just always find it ridiculous that the hardware discussions can be so reasonable the majority of the time, but at times, Intel and nVidia are allowed to be minimally denounced for things that are even worse than this.)

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 10, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's my understanding that the XT models are priced at what the non-XT models were originally set to on their release, and the non-XT models have been dropped in price.

Like, further than they were a month ago? The official SEP price hasn't changed since Zen 2's launch, but that doesn't say anything about the wholesale price.

Basically, is the 3700X going to stay at $275-280 or see further discounts?

SourKraut posted:

"Intel"

(Honestly, I mostly just always find it ridiculous that the hardware discussions can be so reasonable the majority of the time, but at times, Intel and nVidia are allowed to be minimally denounced for things that are even worse than this.)

this is a pretty dumb line, you are boxing at shadows here. nobody has said intel is good value ITT for the past 3 years.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

this is a pretty dumb line, you are boxing at shadows here. nobody has said intel is good value ITT for the past 3 years.

Paul MaudDib posted:

at least you get what you pay for with Intel.

You were saying?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SourKraut posted:

You were saying?

oh, right, except him. he's the Stux of SHHC.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mr. Crow posted:

The comparison is apples to oranges and performance is factually false. While I wouldn't recommend it to most consumers, if your an overclocker (who are always paying premiums for marginal gains) it could be a good choice if you're concerned about silicon quality. For everyone else you get a drop in price.

There is literally no reason to be up in arms over this surprise announcement.

How much performance did GN get from those overclocks? How much extra money does that performance cost? GN's best sample of the three was their 3600XT which showed marginal OC gains for $100 over the non 3600. Thats a bad value, you should not buy that unless you are one of the 20 weirdos on earth trying to set OC records with LN2. (or you just really really like fiddling with BIOS settings and already own a 10600K)

And the prices for non XTs have not changed as far as I am aware, at least in the US. GN, again, was explicit about that. Letter Free 3600 at Microcenter is still $159, 3600XT is $249, 3700X is still $259. Do not but the XT.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 10, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

SourKraut posted:

You were saying?

I think you're being a bit sensitive in interpreting that as "value"; value usually means best bang for a reasonable buck. Intel is still the highest clockspeeds if you don't care about price.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SourKraut posted:

You were saying?

I didn't say the 9900KS was good value. It obviously wasn't the peak of the value curve.

What I said was you got what you paid for: the 9900KS is undeniably significantly better silicon than the average chip. From SiliconLottery, a good 9900KS (top 28%) will do 5.1 GHz at 1.287V, the equivalent 9900K (top 30%) is only 5.0 GHz at 1.30V. So you are getting an extra bin frequency bump at a bin lower voltage, essentially gaining two bins over a normal 9900K. It's obviously not for everyone (nor is the 9900K in general), but you are undeniably getting something for your money there.

The problem with the XT line is that you literally don't get anything for the money. HWUB's 3900XT is 11 MHz faster than their 3900X. That's literally less than the sample to sample variation. The only real improvement of any note is that 1900 MHz infinity fabric is no longer a silicon lottery thing, it's pretty much guaranteed and some samples will do 2000 MHz, but that's like a second order effect there. HWUB scored it as a total of 0.5% faster overall in Cinebench.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 10, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't make the connection until the Gamers Nexus review, but it does make sense that since Ryzen doesn't really hit its boost clocks as reliably as we think it might, then getting a higher advertised boost clock might not be as much of A Thing as, say, Intel doing the same.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Out of curiosity I disabled CPB (but left SMT enabled) on my 3600 just to see how that would affect the load temps and the load temps were almost 20C cooler while running Cinebench (66C VS 85C). That's crazy how much hotter the chip runs at around 4GHz on all 6 cores VS 3.6GHz on all six cores with CPB disabled with my Cinebench score only going down ~250 points.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I haven't followed all the coverage, but has anyone done any undervolting/tdp limiting benchmarks?

From the GN 3600XT video, it looks like you do get really good silicon, but Zen2 hits a wall around 4.7ghz anyways. If the downward power limit scalling is much better, these chips could be well worth the extra 100 bucks for use in a sff case.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I don't think AMD actually expects to sell any XTs, at least not to anyone except a tiny minority of overclockers or people obsessed with having the latest. I think the XT release is really about raising prices back to zen 2 launch levels in order to temper expectations before zen 3 releases. At the moment AMD's main competitor is themselves, especially since zen 2 is so solidly good.

They might run into a value problem where Zen 3 is better, but when lined up against discounted Zen 2 it looks much less attractive. Hence the last-minute release of XT in order to bump the appearance of prices up again, so Zen 3 looks better in comparison.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Didn't see it talked about, but the much rumored 8 channel memory Threadrippers (aka Epycs that like frequency and don't care who knows) are imminent, with new TRX80 motherboards that were leaked like a year ago but vanished.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-threadripper-pro-3000-final-specifications-leaked

Prolly aint gonna be cheap and you will really need specific workloads to flex them, but 64c/2TB DDR4-3200 with an eight channel memory in ATX form factor is p dang cool. Seems like a part that is worth every ounce of cooling you can throw at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Thank god, AMD is finally realizing that the people that buy these kinds of chips need more than half a gigterabyte of RAM. That was just stupid and asinine.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 11, 2020