Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

I noticed in pretty much every video and LP that there's a notification if you have claims that you can press, but it doesn't appear in my games. Is there a mod that I need to get for that?

Check your message settings in the menu to the right. You might've disabled it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
kind of a long shot question but...

does anyone know the name of the game on Steam that looked like a Korean mobile version of Crusader Kings? It had graphics similar to Castle Crashers, but had a very Crusader Kings 2 overworld with medieval diplomacy. I think it was in early access. I wanted to check out how it looks these days, but I completely forgot the name of it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Plebby Quest?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Captain Beans posted:

kind of a long shot question but...

does anyone know the name of the game on Steam that looked like a Korean mobile version of Crusader Kings? It had graphics similar to Castle Crashers, but had a very Crusader Kings 2 overworld with medieval diplomacy. I think it was in early access. I wanted to check out how it looks these days, but I completely forgot the name of it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/334310/Plebby_Quest_The_Crusades/

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
that is indeed it, thanks guys!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Today I'm gonna talk a bit (a lot), about what is almost certainly the most memorable character that I have yet to play in my time. He's definitely going to be one that I remember, along with this whole campaign really, it's been a ride and a half. Anyway, let's begin.

Meet Suleyman Tuyyibid, currently creeping up on the end of his life, while showing no signs of slowing down.

Before we get into his story, we need a little bit of background on just how he ended up where he is. You see, Caceres isn't really the heart of the empire, its a temporary capital used for one very specific purpose we'll get to much later. No, the Tuyyibids instead rule, and always have ruled, from Jaca, perched high in the slopes of the Pyrenees mountains, in the county of Alto Aragón. His family began with that single holding to their name. They were mostly unimportant for a good while, until they lucked into a legendary Chancellor, Tengene, who easily and rapidly found them claims, first on a few neighbors, and then on their duke, and eventually a kingdom, swelling them to an important player in the Umayyad northeast.

The real story begins here, with Suleyman's grandfather, Abdul, as he was the point where the dynasty went from regional power, to regional superpower, when he used his position as Marshal to organize a massive revolt after years of outright mismanagement of the realm by a series of terrible Caliphs that dragged the realm's soldiers off to die in hopeless wars in the middle east against a massive Orthodox superstate. The war was ultimately a quick one, as only the overseas holdings still supported the Caliph at that point, and they were too few to be even a token resistance. Once Abdul took the throne, those territories were promptly cut loose and left to fend for themselves in order to save the rest of the empire. Under Abdul, the realm was finally allowed to recover, with internal problems that had been festering for decades finally being set right, as internal powers were rearraigned and the arts were funded and encouraged. Things were in a good place when he passed on, and the crown and the Caliphate were handed down.

To Suleyman's father Mukhtar. Unfortunately this section is going to be quite brief, as all of Mukhtar's potential was snuffed out less than 3 years into his reign, when he took a long carriage ride off of a short cliff. Fortunately, he already had a son, who was now taking the throne at only 3 years of age. Thankfully for young Suleyman, his mother was very competent, and incredibly adept at statecraft. She kept her position as Regent for the next 13 years, keeping the realm stable as the boy-Caliph grew into a man capable of ruling all of Iberia.

Taking power at age 16, Suleyman found himself a genius wife and quickly popped out an equally genius heir, Yahya, who will also not be playing much of a role in this particular story, as Suleyman outlived him. But now we're at the meat of things, as while he was outliving his genius son, Suleyman went on an absolute tear across the land, and is doubtlessly going to be a major figure in this particular world's history. At age 19, he developed cancer, which nagged at him through several successful and one unsuccessful treatment, costing him his eye. A few years after that, at 23, he lost his hand, and the cancer along with it. Spurred on with a new appreciation for his life, he began to pick up the reforms where his grandfather had left off, stripping kings of their powers and reinvesting them into viceroyalties, conquering the Magreb, and building a fortress in the mountains of the dynasty's home while fighting off a number of attempted invasions and holy wars from the likes of France and Aquitaine, up to and including beating back an entire Crusade, with only the vassals of his realm to help as by this point the loss of Arabia left the Sunni faith nearly crippled. After the Shia managed to (temporarily) take them back, he began to work inside the realm to foster a secret Shia cult, to hopefully switch things over to a more stable religion. It wasn't to be, as the Shia were soon to lose all newly gained lands, in fact suffering a very similar decline to the one the Umayyads had gone through while attempting to hold the same lands years before.

In the middle of this uncertain religious period, Suleyman took the time to personally raise his grandson, Yahya the Younger, in the same way as he had and would continue to raise many other children of the greater dynasty. While he was learning the arts of war, an opportunity came off the back of another crusade, this one launched against the pagans of of the far northeast. While the catholic realms were battered, war weary, and far, far from home, Suleyman struck, launching a Jihad for the south of France. Smashing through what few local forces could be mustered to resist him, he seized control of the lands in rapid order, storming the capital of Aquitaine with tens of thousands of men. Yahya the Elder personally leading the assault, the castle was seized, and the kings entire family was captured, including the next 3 heirs in line for the throne, decisively ending the Jihad. Wheeling his victorious armies around, Suleyman struck again, declaring an invasion of Africa on the faltering Shia Caliphate, which collapsed within a year.

Standing tall, ruling over an empire that was larger than it had ever been, impossibly wealthy, Suleyman looked at the state of things. The realm, and his rule, were as secure as they could possibly be. He had wisely steered the Caliphate to a dominant position of power in the west, unchallenged save for the full cooperation of Europe, who would dare to rock the boat now, after nearly 6 decades of prosperity? There was one answer to that, religion. By this point, Islam was nearly extinct. The long term occupation and conversion of the Arabian peninsula had tanked both Shia and Sunni legitimacy. In fact, Suleyman was the sole thing propping up Sunni from being a completely heresy ridden mess. When he finally left this world, so would Islam, for he was the last gasp. He had been seeking an answer to this problem for years, and finally found a way. With secret pacts and backroom deals, the Caliph, the greatest hero the Muslim world had seen in generations... converted, setting aside the title of Caliph and being crowned an emperor by the Pope himself. While shocked, none of his vassals could protest, not to the man who had never once lead them wrong, since the days of a good many of the lords grandfathers. So they followed suit, and the word of Christ began to spread throughout Hispania for the first time in hundreds of years.

And there we leave off, with conversion efforts beginning and a whole lot of inter-realm warfare as those who haven't already converted are removed from power, and the Pope prepares to call a Crusade for Scandanavia to combat the viking menace. Hell of a character, and a drat good dynamic story, the exact thing that I loving love this game for. Nowhere else can I have a character that organically ends up fighting off a massive holy war, launching his own, and finally ending up fighting alongside the once hostile religion in another holy war. loving incredible, made all the better by the fact that Suleyman's story played out in one, gigantic session played overnight, and its still not over yet, as this 69 (nice) year old man refuses to die.

Thank you if you bothered to read far too many words about what I did last night, I didn't intend for it to be so long, but once I started writing I just got really into it and couldn't stop. I'll leave off by explaining what exactly I did to end up Catholic, as I kind of had to gloss over it because there's no way to not make it sound gamey as poo poo. Basically, Carceres is somehow still Fraticelli, even though Iberia has been 100% Muslim for ages at this point. I saw that, moved my capital over, destroyed the Caliph title (as that keeps you locked to some flavour of Muslim), and secretly converted to the local religion. I then publicly embraced it, and promptly abandoned it for Catholicism. You have no idea how drat good it felt to finally get out of a religion with low MA. I wasn't kidding about Suleyman propping up Sunni. It was around 60~ MA before, and after his conversion, it immediately dropped to single digits.

tl;dr I write a ton of words gushing about my really cool character in a really fun game I've been playing.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 7, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ShootaBoy posted:

tl;dr I write a ton of words gushing about my really cool character in a really fun game I've been playing.

This is why CK2 is my favourite game, thank you for sharing!

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Nice write-up
All hail Emporer Suleyman

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Holy Toledo!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gross, and dishonourable.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Religion in Iberia can get pretty wild. I remember booting up Shattered World centuries ago, messing around in Persia for a few hundred years, and deciding to finally take a look at Europe once my borders approached the Mediterranean - and found the AI had helpfully generated a counterweight for me at the other end of the continent. Its name? The Empire of Hispania. Its ruler? Badshah Muhammad the Fourth. His religion? Catholic. His nickname? The Saint.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Is there any way to control who inherits what counties in gavelkind? Other then just murdering all my sons?

I would like to be able to keep my "core" demense intact, then go reclaim everything from there.

E: This loving game. My king gets assasinated, so the throne goes to some random nephew. Who just happens to have cancer. Hopefully I can claw back my territory before he dies.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 8, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there any way to control who inherits what counties in gavelkind? Other then just murdering all my sons?

I would like to be able to keep my "core" demense intact, then go reclaim everything from there.

If your core demesne is just your capital duchy, then your oldest son will inherit it if you other sons have roughly equally sized duchies, and have the same or higher number of titles (e.g. counties and baronies) as your oldest son stands to inherit.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So what's the consensus on CK3 from the dev diaries etc?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Cool and good.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The North Tower posted:

Cool and good.

Nice

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

smoke weed worship tengri

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I wonder if you'll be able to make a religion based on someone who is living or has had lived in your game

Fair Prophet Ragnarr Lódbrok worshipped by the Canary Islands Empire, somehow a mix of Judaism and a Nordic Steppe Religion because in this example the Norse warriors went steppeward by way of rivers and what not and conquered the Khazars

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Man, being immortal AND the Grandmaster of the Assassins loving kicks rear end.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Neurion posted:

Man, being immortal AND the Grandmaster of the Assassins loving kicks rear end.

This isn't the Assassin's Creed thread bud.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

It looks really drat good so far, and the more of the diaries I see, the more I like the 3d characters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

E: This loving game. My king gets assasinated, so the throne goes to some random nephew. Who just happens to have cancer. Hopefully I can claw back my territory before he dies.

Torrannor posted:

If your core demesne is just your capital duchy, then your oldest son will inherit it if you other sons have roughly equally sized duchies, and have the same or higher number of titles (e.g. counties and baronies) as your oldest son stands to inherit.

Yes, the way gavelkind works is that your titles will be divided up as evenly as possible between your eligible children, with the titles that contain your capital being preferentially awarded to your primary heir. There are a few ways you can influence how titles get distributed though:

1) If you try to give titles to your primary heir, you won't be able to give them anything except what they will stand to inherit via gavelkind anyway. This can be used as a sneak preview of what they will get on succession (although the situation might change before it happens so it's not 100% reliable). Your primary heir will also always get the topmost titles so if you only control one kingdom, it will never be split up. One thing to be aware of is that you can't game this by sitting on a de jure kingdom but deliberately not creating the title, because the game will create it automatically on gavelkind succession for the purpose of handing it out. So if you control the De Jure territory of Scotland and England, but only created the title of Scotland, your realm will still be split and one of your children will be made the king of England.

2) Any titles your other children already have will be factored into the equation - meaning that when balancing out titles, kids who already have some will be skipped over until everyone else has as many as they do. Your other children are not restricted from being given titles the same way as your primary heir, so you can use this property to somewhat control how titles will get distributed on succession - if you own three duchies for example, and you have three kids, you can give your two non-capital duchies to the specific children you want to have them rather than just leaving it up to the opaque succession algorithm. If you want to make them easier to conquer back for your heir, you can game the system by mixing up their titles so half their territory is in a different duchy than their capital (which means they will have fewer levies and they will be raised all split up). Although bear in mind all of this needs to be done before you die, which leaves control of that territory up to the whims of the AI.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is why you always shut the gates

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

What do the files say that shutting the gates does? I usually do it, anyway, but I’m curious and don’t have the skills to read the files.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The North Tower posted:

What do the files say that shutting the gates does? I usually do it, anyway, but I’m curious and don’t have the skills to read the files.

A lot. Do you have a more specific question? Sorry if that sounds rude, I genuinely don’t mean to be, it’s just too much to summarize in a succinct single post.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Really the only complaint I have about CK3 right now is that it doesn't seem like it's going to have a Ruler Designer at launch. Which I mainly want just so I can play a ruler of a particular gender/trait/culture/etc. in a particular part of the world at a particular rank. Though that's still up in the air and nothing has been 100% confirmed yet.

Speaking of Gavelkind, it seems like Paradox is saying (in the Q&As) that it's going to be harder to get out of Partition succession in CK3. You will need particular cultural innovations to get Primogeniture and the like, and though it hasn't outright been said it may be era-locked. Though I do wonder about elective succession laws and how easy they'll be to get.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
From what I've seen CK3 will not be as ignorant of nations and countries as CK2. What I mean is in CK2 provinces differ in terms of economics but culture and religion do not mean almost anything except malus when they're wrong. In CK3 technology is based on cultures even if they don't have rulers. I suspect religion also affects provinces in some ways. So perhaps you need a more complex nation designer a la EU4 for it to work. Ruler of wrong culture and religion in a wrong place would always be weird start in CK3 probably. Then again, it's just my impression.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Please consume.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...mation.1289830/

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Coolguye posted:

A lot. Do you have a more specific question? Sorry if that sounds rude, I genuinely don’t mean to be, it’s just too much to summarize in a succinct single post.

No worries, I'm not 100% sure what I'm asking for either, just curious about general rules. Would you be able to post the code by any chance? My tech misunderstanding is mostly getting into the code.

For example: Say I have a ruler that I want to keep alive. By lowering the gates, what are the odds of a courtier coming down with whatever disease (positive or false positive)? Are they independent rolls based on how many people I have in my court? Is false positive based on something like my physicians' wisdom?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The North Tower posted:

No worries, I'm not 100% sure what I'm asking for either, just curious about general rules. Would you be able to post the code by any chance? My tech misunderstanding is mostly getting into the code.

For example: Say I have a ruler that I want to keep alive. By lowering the gates, what are the odds of a courtier coming down with whatever disease (positive or false positive)? Are they independent rolls based on how many people I have in my court? Is false positive based on something like my physicians' wisdom?

I have a feeling that a lot of that is probably hard-coded, and not in the moddable text files.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Neurion posted:

I have a feeling that a lot of that is probably hard-coded, and not in the moddable text files.

Ah, okay. So if I'm understanding correctly, it's much harder to view the hard-coding files? I'm hopefully jumping to CK3 on launch, so I decided now's the time to figure out the foolish mistakes I've been making in CK2 by not understanding some of the more complex mechanics at the meta level (I've never been a map painter, so I usually go with what feels right for my character).

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The North Tower posted:

Ah, okay. So if I'm understanding correctly, it's much harder to view the hard-coding files? I'm hopefully jumping to CK3 on launch, so I decided now's the time to figure out the foolish mistakes I've been making in CK2 by not understanding some of the more complex mechanics at the meta level (I've never been a map painter, so I usually go with what feels right for my character).

I mean if you were really interested and insane, like me, you'd run the game with an interactive disassembler/debugger and trace how variables for different things are used and stored. Then the game's executable gets updated in a new patch and all the functions and variable addresses have shifted around in memory and you gotta start over again :argh:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

yo I finally read the feudal contract diary and I am loving pumped for Paperwork Simulator 1066. This isn't even an ironypost, having a much more granular relationship with your vassals is dope.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
It's a little disappointing that the first say the expansion pack is 3 dlcs, then reveal that two of those are just flavor packs.

But I'm someone that only gets game play dlcs and ignores all the outfit content.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Demon_Corsair posted:

But I'm someone that only gets game play dlcs and ignores all the outfit content.

You are, in all seriousness, kind of missing out

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

1stGear posted:

yo I finally read the feudal contract diary and I am loving pumped for Paperwork Simulator 1066. This isn't even an ironypost, having a much more granular relationship with your vassals is dope.

Dear liege, either you change your taxation plan or I release The Piss Scroll.

Yeah, this sounds like a political simulator we need.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ilitarist posted:

Dear liege, either you change your taxation plan or I release The Piss Scroll.

Yeah, this sounds like a political simulator we need.
I listened to a podcast by some guys who'd gotten to play the game for a couple of hours and he mentioned it turned out to be a mistake to invite one of his dukes to a murder plot, because almost the moment the plot succeeded the duke turned around and blackmailed him into lowering his taxes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

You are, in all seriousness, kind of missing out

Yeah, all the cosmetic dlc added a bunch of life to the game for me, and while I can understand why you'd skip it, I couldn't, all the new portraits + unit models are huge.

As for CK3, it sounds like the main things missing in launch that I care for are artifacts(biggest one), societies, and a ruler designer. All in all a worthwhile upgrade for everything else we're getting.

e: I do wonder how the game rule to have the game start in an enatic world instead of agnatic will work. Will it just swap all available rulers gender? Or will they suffer the penalty for wrong gender ruler until a daughter takes charge?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Magil Zeal posted:

Speaking of Gavelkind, it seems like Paradox is saying (in the Q&As) that it's going to be harder to get out of Partition succession in CK3. You will need particular cultural innovations to get Primogeniture and the like, and though it hasn't outright been said it may be era-locked. Though I do wonder about elective succession laws and how easy they'll be to get.

That isn't as big a deal as it seems if you're the dynast, since you can use your dynasty bucks to disinherit someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The North Tower posted:

Every so often (it's not clear what the interval is) that a disease is active in a county, the entire court has to roll to contract the illness. Each disease has a specific incubation and symptomatic time (wherein stuff like Cramps shows up) before it is properly identified, so you won't know if someone is infected for a hot minute even if they've got it.

Closing the gates disables these rolls entirely. So if you close the gates before the disease makes landfall in your county, and you don't have another infection vector (for example, someone joining your court from an infected county, or a quarantine event where a courtier smuggles in someone from outside the sanitary cordon), then it's entirely impossible for the disease to get in.

False positives are an interesting kettle of fish. Basically, anyone who gets sick during quarantine will be suspected of having the plague, even if it's something endemic (like flu) or entirely normal and ordinary (like food poisoning). All the plagues are communicable, so if you wait for a positive diagnosis, you are definitely opening yourself up to a lot of risk because that means that person has been contagious for a few weeks or a month or whatever by the time you know for sure. The ruler being paranoid or lunatic also opens the chance for an entirely fabricated false positive event that looks real, but is literally nothing. It's all a chance though. Specific MTTHs on a lot of this stuff are generally pointless to point out because the way Paradox handled quarantine is to give a few dozen different situations and events that could happen during quarantine but give them all MTTHs of a year or numerous years. Most epidemics just don't last that long, so events during quarantine are by definition pretty rare and trying to reason over a specific event being likely or not isn't helpful since everything's pretty unlikely.

Your physician's Learning only relates to the physician's ability to diagnose someone who's sick. So if your physician tells you that someone with Cramps has a passing malaise and they've got 25 learning/like you/etc, you can be pretty sure that those Cramps are exactly what your physician says they are and not the symptomatic phase of the black death that's murdering the poo poo out of people outside the castle walls.

In general, though, if you're concerned about your ruler you should just close the gates when a plague arrives on the borders of your capitol county, but hasn't invaded it yet. Every ruler can do this, even without Paranoid. Closing the gates and keeping proper quarantine (by not letting anyone else in until the plague is gone) will utterly defeat all but a single digit percentage of plagues. Instituting quarantine, obviously, has a lot of problems all on its own (harder to use council, harder to war, harder to do pretty much everything really) but it is an outstandingly effective tool against plague as long as you are using the quarantine correctly.

This is important with relation to evaluating the use of hospitals. Hospitals don't actually help you survive plagues as a player or dynasty. Just closing the gates appropriately and before the disease actually arrives close to guarantees your survival. Hospitals are long term investments in the health of the county, which would otherwise suffer depopulation/lose its prosperity due to plagues. Anecdotally, 75% disease resistance in the county appears to be pretty close to bulletproof with regard to preventing a disease from even making landfall, even with the Black Death. More mundane diseases like Consumption frequently get stopped cold by 50-60%. And even when they do take hold, depopulation resistance saves you a lot of money over the long term if your county is at all prone to diseases (by, for example, being coastal).

Strategically this is important because after a plague that's particularly bad (like Camp Fever tends to be, or even the Black Death), if you're the only one with money and dudes then you basically have a good 2-3 years to do whatever you want in the plague zone without too many people able to say boo to you.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 9, 2020