Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

Asking for a friend, what's the link between a tweet about a pizza restaurant in 2020 and a tweet about dirty labour voting forrins from 2015?

Both are from the Graun journo who did that "View from the red wall" article where the salt-of-the-earth working class man* gave her the pull quote she was after of "Think how much worse this would have been under Corbyn"

* "Working class" in this case meaning he's the owner of an artisinal Italian pizzaria (which said journo visited in March and plugged on her TL) who likes arguing with people on review sites who doesn't appreciate that he gets his flour and cheese direct from Italy, also his brother is a major property developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dead Goon posted:

Asking for a friend, what's the link between a tweet about a pizza restaurant in 2020 and a tweet about dirty labour voting forrins from 2015?

this article

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/08/imagine-the-state-wed-be-in-if-corbyn-had-been-in-charge-the-view-from-the-red-wall

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

She's the editor for the Guardian's Northern reporters and recently published an article talking to 4 Red Wall tory voters making GBS threads on Corbyn. One was an 18 year old, one was a retired couple who were excited about stamp duty tax relief and one was the Pizza prick. Basically its picking her apart with her own tweets.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dead Goon posted:

The tweeter in question penned the poo poo Guardian article about Leigh

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
cinemas in scotland are apparently reopening next week

i think it will be a good few months at least until i am able to feel okay actually setting foot in one, though

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Gonzo McFee posted:

She's the editor for the Guardian's Northern reporters and recently published an article talking to 4 Red Wall tory voters making GBS threads on Corbyn. One was an 18 year old, one was a retired couple who were excited about stamp duty tax relief and one was the Pizza prick. Basically its picking her apart with her own tweets.

the specific very bad thing here is that the article headline was "Imagine how bad it'd be with Corbyn", a quote from a "working class" man who owns a pizza restaurant and is the brother of a property developer she has an unmentioned prior association with.

In other words she asked a booj in her personal circle to say the headline she wanted, in order to pretend to be a journalist while doing NYT-style chud safari propaganda

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I know the UK journalism industry is poo poo beyond belief but I also refuse to accept a journo doesn't know it's very, very immoral to ask your mates for quotes and then claim they're the words of the man on the street

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Pronouncing it correctly I might add.

But the antisemitism scandal was just rich white protestants getting mad because they identify as all the stereotypes of nazi propaganda.
Be fair, a lot of the Labour right are rich white catholics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

I know the UK journalism industry is poo poo beyond belief but I also refuse to accept a journo doesn't know it's very, very immoral to ask your mates for quotes and then claim they're the words of the man on the street

I would be surprised if it crossed their mind given their job literally amounts to doing whatever they feel like to spread their personal beliefs around as if they're gospel.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sensible precautions are fine, telling someone not to leave the house otherwise they might have the deaths of hundreds on their hands is not.

Avoiding contact with people is a sensible precaution, and it's hard to square that with two long ferry journeys.

There are safer places in Cornwall to holiday in.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I would be surprised if it crossed their mind given their job literally amounts to doing whatever they feel like to spread their personal beliefs around as if they're gospel.

I haven't read the Evening Standard for at least a year, but their 'reporting' on any story that involved someone being killed/maimed seemed to consist of jumping on social media and looking for quotes from 'friends' and relatives that they could steal for their articles.
Along with vacantly quoting whatever Press Release the Met/LAS/LFB put out.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My friend gets it now and thanks you all for your explanations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

Why would they know that when it's completely routine for them? I doubt it's an exaggeration to say that in any article you read containing quotes from supposedly random people, there's a better than evens chance that the person being quoted has a direct personal connection to the journalist. That's just what they do.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

Avoiding contact with people is a sensible precaution, and it's hard to square that with two long ferry journeys.

There are safer places in Cornwall to holiday in.

But telling someone they have a chance to kill 10% of the population just by going on holiday goes considerably beyond the line of "sensible". I mean it's not impossible that you could trip over the cat, break your leg, and when the ambulance comes it crashed into a lorry containing nuclear waste and kills everyone in a ten mile radius, and that's just sitting at home.

Life is risk, and letting the one in a billion worst case scenario guide your decision making is ultimately going to do you as much harm as juggling chainsaws because you saw someone do it once and they were okay.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
BBC New's biggest headline today is them cutting the over 75 free TV license. Like holy poo poo BBC, at least mention it was the government cutting it, to save yourself all the flack (can't even be truthful to help yourself).

Was just watching it on TV and they decided to interview a bunch of old's on the decision (hint, they all hated it). I mean if your doing this for entertainment at least ask them who they voted for so I can laugh without feeling guilty.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

peanut- posted:

Why would they know that when it's completely routine for them? I doubt it's an exaggeration to say that in any article you read containing quotes from supposedly random people, there's a better than evens chance that the person being quoted has a direct personal connection to the journalist. That's just what they do.

I always assumed those quotes were just completely made-up. How would anyone even know whether a journalist actually had been out on the street canvassing randoms or not.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Both are from the Graun journo who did that "View from the red wall" article where the salt-of-the-earth working class man* gave her the pull quote she was after of "Think how much worse this would have been under Corbyn"

* "Working class" in this case meaning he's the owner of an artisinal Italian pizzaria (which said journo visited in March and plugged on her TL) who likes arguing with people on review sites who doesn't appreciate that he gets his flour and cheese direct from Italy, also his brother is a major property developer.

What's wrong with British flour and cheese!? British ingredients for overpriced British pizza!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We import 2/3 of our canned quotes, this is a disgrace. I ordered a quote about foreign Labour voters not integrating and it wasn't even in English.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

We import 2/3 of our canned quotes, this is a disgrace. I ordered a quote about foreign Labour voters not integrating and it wasn't even in English.

you joke but "the muslims vote labour and wont integrate" was an attack line from BJP sympathetic online communities against Labour last election

bloody hindu nationalists, coming over to anglo fb, taking all the hatespeech jobs from hard working tory journos

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Eararaldor posted:

BBC New's biggest headline today is them cutting the over 75 free TV license. Like holy poo poo BBC, at least mention it was the government cutting it, to save yourself all the flack (can't even be truthful to help yourself).

Was just watching it on TV and they decided to interview a bunch of old's on the decision (hint, they all hated it). I mean if your doing this for entertainment at least ask them who they voted for so I can laugh without feeling guilty.

My mother's just had a tv licence demand for the first time in 10 years. (She's 82 - dad would have been 85). She voted Green.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I bet he voted brexit too.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Private Speech posted:

How do you get a citizenship without knowing English (or being filthy rich, but somehow I don't think that's the case here)?

you don't

I think if you're extremely old (65+ or something) and have been in the country for many, many years straight, then you're exempt from the language test requirement

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My mother's just had a tv licence demand for the first time in 10 years. (She's 82 - dad would have been 85). She voted Green.

That’s why when the BBC interview, they should give some context to how they voted. I do feel bad for anyone that voted against Boris being impacted. Have a feeling those they interviewed today were Tories though lol.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I have never once in my life paid for a TV license lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Eararaldor posted:

That’s why when the BBC interview, they should give some context to how they voted. I do feel bad for anyone that voted against Boris being impacted. Have a feeling those they interviewed today were Tories though lol.

I think you have to be a bit forgiving of the really old though because they were brought up to believe (and still do) in 'deference to your betters'*, The Times is the paper of record, The BBC never tells a fib or is economical with the facts, and the government really does have your best interests at heart and find it very hard to realize that they have been fed bollocks for over 80 years.

*I recall a Question Time from many years ago which had some tory idiot on saying "We have forgotten British Values of Deference" and murmurs of approval from everyone on the panel and in the audience. I probably yelled "Kill 'em all" at the tv.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think you have to be a bit forgiving of the really old though

Before covid I'd have laughed at this since their continued ignorance means a worse life (or death) for everyone else, but given the way they can look at the blatant mishandling of a virus that hits them the worst and still enthusiastically support the government, at this point you've kinda gotta respect a psyche that rotten. It's truly a thing to behold.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
My grandmother had a black and white TV in her kitchen upto 2000 and something.
They had the TV licence people turn up to check on it once back in the 90s.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

blues thief posted:

Before covid I'd have laughed at this since their continued ignorance means a worse life (or death) for everyone else, but given the way they can look at the blatant mishandling of a virus that hits them the worst and still enthusiastically support the government, at this point you've kinda gotta respect a psyche that rotten. It's truly a thing to behold.

Tory voters: "Murder me, daddy! Choke me harder!"

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I get our broadband heavily discounted through work, but it only comes as a package including tv and a phone line, so I don’t have much choice when it comes to a tv licence.

Can honestly say though since getting it installed at the start of February I’ve watched a total of 25 minutes of broadcast television. The phone line doesn’t even have a phone plugged in.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:lol: at this joke country

quote:

Chris Grayling closes in on role as chair of UK intelligence committee

The accident-prone former cabinet minister Chris Grayling is expected to be appointed as chair of the powerful intelligence and security committee (ISC) next week after the Conservatives announced four other members who are expected to support him.

It will then be up to the committee to decide whether to release the Russia report, which was blocked by Johnson before the election.
x

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

for anyone who's not yet resigned, Ellen Morrison is the disability labour endorsed candidate for the disabled seat and her speech and motion at Unite conference 2018 changed the union position from pause/fix rollout of UC to stop and scrap

also she was the only candidate to actually seek the endorsement of the Disabled People Against Cuts group that stormed parliament and hosted protests in Uxbridge, and is also a member of them

this took a full day to find out because it's all in closed facebook groups ofc

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sinky posted:

Chris loving Grayling?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

sinky posted:

I mean, it's just as planned to put human car crash Chris Grayling - the perfect Tory mixture of incompetence, malice, and mindless dedication to loving over the poor - in charge of a committee with a document they're trying to bury.

Even amongst his peers, it's genuinely astounding just how much of an absolute gently caress up Chris Grayling is.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

blues thief posted:

If your sole source of news was the BBC and a right wing red top though (which I include The Times which is The Sun with Big Words), would you know it is being mishandled? As I don't watch BBC news or read red tops, I don't know what is being reported.

In my block, most of the flats are occupied by over 80s. Out of 19 flats, just TWO of us have internet. My mother still can't get her head round the fact that I can sit in my living room and pay bills and so on without having to go to the bank physically. (She posts me a cheque once a month so I can make payments into the various grandkids' savings accounts on her behalf while she is supposed to be isolating, and every time asks me 'how did you get on in the building society' when I have told her 5000 times I do it from my armchair.)

I have considerably less patience for people under 70 who vote tory and think Spaffer is some kind of medical genius as they know darn well there are alternative news sources and they should darn well know by now that the BBC are highly economical with the truth and tories lie, continually, about absolutely everything.

Meanwhile in Ferry news and creating scurrilous rumour where there may be none:

I was nosing around on Companies House and found an Andrew Twentyman (no idea if it is the same guy!) was involved in a company called TG Marina based in Whitehaven that was compulsory dissolved in 2015. I wondered if he had been involved with Ferrys as the other person in the company was a barge operator.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 9, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

Chris loving Grayling?
I hope he falls arse over head and leaks all the secrets. All of them.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Grayling is such a fuckup though he'll probably end out releasing the report in full.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/helenpidd/status/1281298135738920960

Our economic recovery will be powered by plentiful cheap geothermal energy when she manages to dig all the way to the earth's core.

e: screengrab just in case, because this really is guardian.txt:

Also a quick sneak preview of what's going on in another window right now:
code:
Sandpaper Wank 8 5 2 0 1.5 0.521

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 9, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saros posted:

Grayling is such a fuckup though he'll probably end out releasing the report in full.
"Chris it's important that we review the report but don't sent it to anyone else but me."
"Ok!" *hits reply all*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also a quick sneak preview of what's going on in another window right now:
code:
Sandpaper Wank 8 5 2 0 1.5 0.521

How'd you get my password

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Simon_Cullen/status/1280864906649223169

I know I like to joke about property developers doing more damage to the east end than the Blitz, but the poor lady who died when this crane dropped through her house was 85 and had actually lived through the Blitz, only to be killed on a drizzly Thursday afternoon because every building site in the area is on maximum overdrive to try and get completed before the arse completely falls out of the economy.

This is less than a hundred yards from where a woman was killed, and the baby in the pushchair she was pushing seriously injured a few years ago, because the site didn't want to pay to close the pavement so were just casually hauling pallets of bricks over an active pavement without even attempting to stop people, and an improperly-secured one dropped its entire haul on her head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1281276972463730689?s=20