Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Johnny Joestar posted:

enemies really aren't that spongey, and in a lot of cases might even be easier to take out than some of those absolutely awful meat wall enemies in 1. also the actual firing and melee poo poo feels way better than in 1, which helps, because the guns aren't weak pieces of crap.

the core problem is that the writing is the equivalent of whoever wrote it taking a fat, wet poo poo in front of the player

I had heard that 2 had story problems before going into it, but even knowing that beforehand I was surprised how bad it was. It’s practically incoherent, I didn’t even really understand what was going on in parts. It’s baffling considering the first one had decent writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

yea its a huge shame because theres some fun/stupid movement mechanics but i gave up when it started feeling like it was recycling content about two hours in

The very first sidequest you get put on makes you realize there is basically no difference between a side quesr and story mission except that the story can have bosses.

The guns felt absolutely pathetically weak until I was like half-way in and then every gun suddenly was such a massive jump in damage that the enemy scaling got screwed up the other way.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

This was an awesome write-up, very informative thanks! :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1280487228897189889

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rune is some of the most fun I've had playing online multiplayer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

Rune is some of the most fun I've had playing online multiplayer.

I will never forget the first time I killed a guy, cut off his arm, picked it up, found him respawned, and beat him to death again but with his own arm this time

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I ask this everytime, but did they fix the loving sound in Reach yet??

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They will on the 14th, unless something really really weird happened and delayed their DSP simulation fixes.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I ask this everytime, but did they fix the loving sound in Reach yet??

They did! Apparently it will be fixed with this release

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what is rune

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
not gonna lie, I am tempted to buy the mcc and finish the fight I barely started by playing the first three levels of halo once

(and also reach. reach was good.)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Rune: Viking Warlord is a third person melee action game (I guess there's some platforming). The single player has intense NORSE COMBAT ACTION! You can pick up any old weapon around you, and even throw them. You eat lizards and dunk on skeletons. The multiplayer was some of the best melee combat for it's time. However, it always devolved into one ultra practiced rear end in a top hat who could do the jump spin combo with some huge weapons.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

not gonna lie, I am tempted to buy the mcc and finish the fight I barely started by playing the first three levels of halo once

(and also reach. reach was good.)

Its on gamepass if you only want to spend 5 bucks on PC to find out you don't have time to finish the fight

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Remember Gathering of Developers? Anybody?

Rune was developed by the same studio behind the 2018 hit The Quiet Man.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

Rune was developed by the same studio behind the 2018 hit The Quiet Man.
And the 2019 hit Rune 2, whi--oh they shut down the day after release and immediately reformed as another studio under bethesda ownership, well then

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I still kinda wanna give that a looksee, based on what little I played of the first game, though it's currently exclusive to the Epic Games Store and while I don't really have issues with that store I also don't usually play the games I get from there (the free ones anyway, I haven't put money into it ever).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm going to say that giving Rune 2 a wide berth for now is a good idea, since it launched literally unfinished and they only just released a patch to actually finish the first part of the campaign mode today. Human Head basically grifted a ton of money from the game's publisher and then bolted the second they had something resembling a finished product, and they're getting sued for not telling the publisher anything about getting bought by Bethseda and for tripling the cost/time of development over what was agreed upon to start with. It's very good on the publisher that they managed to put together enough resources to start patching the game into something actually playable though.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Saw a gif on Reddit for this retro shooter called Fashion Police Squad. You fight the villains of fashion faux pas with a sewing machine gun.

https://youtu.be/mq9E8uCDSJI

Seems silly but I think it fits here, it’s on steam too. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1319460/Fashion_Police_Squad/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Solaris 2.0 posted:

They did! Apparently it will be fixed with this release

Finally, looks like I'll pick it up when Halo 3 is released next week.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Saw a gif on Reddit for this retro shooter called Fashion Police Squad. You fight the villains of fashion faux pas with a sewing machine gun.

Seems silly but I think it fits here, it’s on steam too. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1319460/Fashion_Police_Squad/

lol that owns.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Collar Duty: Class Warfare

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fanatical has a bunch of older FPS (and a couple of new indies) in a new bundle

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-f-p-s-bundle

I know Devil Daggers got some love ITT and Bunker Punks looks like it might be fun.

edit: if you don't mind the chunky pixel aesthetic Still Not Dead might be a good third pick.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 9, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Bunker Punks is unfortunately not very good. Boring environments, boring enemies, boring guns, and bad procgen.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh goddamn you Valve goddamn you to hell

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Dope. Halo 3 had my favorite co-op campaign.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I liked Halo 1 and 2 quite a bit, but checked out before Halo 3 came around. And with how fantastic MCC has been for Halo 1 and 2, think I might just finally get around to FINISHING THE FIGHT :black101:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

GAAAH, so blurry. I can't believe I actually rented that stupid port. Godspeed to the madlad working on that project.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Good god :negative:

At this point, I'd love some sort of Orange Box Plus that has all of the original stuff, plus HL1 and L4D2, ported to Switch.

C'mon, Valve.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So which of the MCC Halo games actually has an active MP playerbase/is the best one, on PC specifically? Is there any point in installing the MP for all of the games?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 9, 2020

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Lemon-Lime posted:

So which of the MCC Halo games actually has an active MP playerbase/is the best one, on PC specifically? Is there any point in installing the MP for all of the games?

They all use the same menu interface and matchmaker system; you can search for matches in different games at the same time, so I'd imagine you're more likely to find something if you happen to have more than one installed.

I'd probably guess 2 currently has the largest playerbase though right now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Good god :negative:

At this point, I'd love some sort of Orange Box Plus that has all of the original stuff, plus HL1 and L4D2, ported to Switch.

C'mon, Valve.

And Portal 2, can't forget that, heck I imagine an up to date console version of Team Fortress 2 alone would sell a ton of people on a hypothetical The Orange Box 2

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Agreed. I’d happily drop $60 to play all 4 Valve games on the one console less powerful than the 9800 I first ran HL2 on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

drrockso20 posted:

And Portal 2, can't forget that, heck I imagine an up to date console version of Team Fortress 2 alone would sell a ton of people on a hypothetical The Orange Box 2

Yes, Portal 2, can't believe I forgot it, totally meant to mention it, too.

If only...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I find it fairly amusing valve is charging people money to hear about all the games they didn't make

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Kins posted:

Good Lord, Gabe Newell, what is happening in there?
Uh... Half-Life Borealis.

(you know the rest)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

site posted:

I find it fairly amusing valve is charging people money to hear about all the games they didn't make

Well they can't seem to get people to buy the games they did make in that time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Good news for console-havers and fog lovers:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1281355431823044613

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

The Kins posted:

I've got a couple of buddies who have worked at Valve during that time. I didn't hear much in the way of firm details, but anything you can imagine about a dysfunctional internal culture? Double it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's an hour long livestream showing off Halo 3 running on a Personal Computer, and the things that come with that. The big takeaway is that a proper Custom Games browser is in development!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBwFyNp8t2o