Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm a casual player who played a lot back on release and recently reinstalled because some friends wanted to play again. When did they implement locking into a class for a whole match? what's the reasoning behind it being forced even in like quickplay? I uninstalled again after one night of playing because of how restrictive and uh, not fun it felt. I realize this has probably been hashed out a hundred times but I haven't been following the game at all so it just seems fully baffling to me. I still don't like how they stopped allowing duplicate characters on the same team, so I'm probably just out of touch with what this game is and what people want it to be.

Basically this, I think. We had a good year where the pro meta involved only playing tanks and supports and ignoring DPS characters, meanwhile actually having 2 tanks on your team in a casual game gave a huge advantage over teams of 4 dps mains who refused to switch in normal-level play. By locking in 2/2/2 you get a more consistent game in the long run, even if you lock out some fun ways of playing the game. There's quick play classic in the arcade with no role lock if you want it, and competitive open queue with the same if you care about SR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, you can play the old QP in Arcade whenever you want, and No Limits lets you play duplicates when that cycles through.

Basically letting people switch anything all the time makes balance very tricky because you have to figure out a lot more combinations and possibilities. By limiting the game to 2/2/2 you reduce that headache and make it easier to ensure balance. They switched QP over to match Comp for consistency and pushed the old version to Arcade.

I think the 2/2/2 is fine when you have some organization, but it's really tedious when you solo queue and end up with a Tracer and Genji who refuse to switch to suppress and enemy Pharah, and now you don't have the option to just swap yourself to deal with it rather than just eating missiles all game as a healer.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Basically this, I think. We had a good year where the pro meta involved only playing tanks and supports and ignoring DPS characters, meanwhile actually having 2 tanks on your team in a casual game gave a huge advantage over teams of 4 dps mains who refused to switch in normal-level play. By locking in 2/2/2 you get a more consistent game in the long run, even if you lock out some fun ways of playing the game. There's quick play classic in the arcade with no role lock if you want it, and competitive open queue with the same if you care about SR.

I just loaded up overwatch after years. I like 2/2/2. At least I know I won't get into games with 5 DPS/4 dps 1 tank complaining how they aren't getting heals anymore.

I was just in a game with a flanking DVA who constantly complained over voice about not getting heals when I was with the actual rest of the team, but overall the role lock is a much more chill experience for support. At least at the low gold i'm at.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
What modes do folks usually play in OW? Should I mess around with Arcade or is Quick Play more standard?

Also should I care when people tell me to stop playing because I'm terrible :3:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tezzeract posted:

What modes do folks usually play in OW? Should I mess around with Arcade or is Quick Play more standard?

Also should I care when people tell me to stop playing because I'm terrible :3:

Mystery heroes because the fickle god of random chance is a far more reliable teammate than any human

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, Mystery Heroes is my go-to. Learning how every hero plays is one of the most useful things you can do. And at low-level mystery heroes, everyone is expected to suck! lol.

It's daunting at first, but it's very satisfying once you finally get to the point where you feel confident no matter which hero the RNG throws at you.

I'll also play CTF and No Limits pretty frequently, and do at least competitive placements each season.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Maybe it's just cause I'm on console instead of PC, but Competitive is a complete clown show right now, don't bother with it, all it is is a more stressful version of Quick Play that brings no actual benefits to playing it

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Maybe it's just cause I'm on console instead of PC, but Competitive is a complete clown show right now, don't bother with it, all it is is a more stressful version of Quick Play that brings no actual benefits to playing it

Eh, I'm on console and I find it fine at Gold/Plat.
Anyways, I want more golden weapons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

Eh, I'm on console and I find it fine at Gold/Plat.
Anyways, I want more golden weapons.

Probably doesn't help that since I'll often not play for months at a time and rarely touch competitive I'm stuck in Bronze

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I really like Mystery Heroes because it forces you to be at least semi-competent at every role, if not every hero. It also forces you to understand how your particular hero fits in with different compositions, or at the very least synergizes with other heroes. It's uncomfortable, chaotic and stupid, but it's a good mode overall.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I really like Mystery Heroes because it forces you to be at least semi-competent at every role, if not every hero. It also forces you to understand how your particular hero fits in with different compositions, or at the very least synergizes with other heroes. It's uncomfortable, chaotic and stupid, but it's a good mode overall.

Same. It's just incredibly frustrating when there's suddenly a comp with three Torbs, two Orisas and a Mercy on the payload.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hell is three Orisas and three Lucios

CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hence why Mystery Heroes needs to have the one hero per team limit the rest of the game has

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

one time it gave the other team three mercys, a pharah, an orisa and I don't remember what else, on hanamura defense and it was at that point I realized how it must have felt to have been part of an ancient civilization during a calamity, just throwing your kids down wells and burying valuables thinking you can bribe the sky into raining on your corn again

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I really wish Mystery Heroes were limited to symmetrical point capture maps rather than including payload/2CP maps, because a bad draw will just crush a team playing Defense

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'd like to see a limit on hero duplications, as funny as it is to suddenly have 3 Moiras and have all the healing in the universe. Not a full boring lockdown just some guides to stop poo poo becoming unfun.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I don't get the complaints about MH. You're just as likely to get the overpowered team comp as you are to play against it.

Who cares if you get a bad run and lose? It's even more satisfying if the opponent manages to have a seemingly impenetrable lineup and you manage to pull off the flanking move that breaks it up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

thexerox123 posted:

I don't get the complaints about MH. You're just as likely to get the overpowered team comp as you are to play against it.

Who cares if you get a bad run and lose? It's even more satisfying if the opponent manages to have a seemingly impenetrable lineup and you manage to pull off the flanking move that breaks it up.

why do you think people play it

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

why do you think people play it

Well based on the posts talking about changing it, it doesn't seem to be for the challenge of any comp being possible.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Mh is all I play, I love it so much. Yeah you go against a 3 torb orissa mercy squad once in a while but they don't happen often.

It's usually just all out dps teams with a healer or tank, random dumb poo poo all the time and it's great.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I actually don't mind when you hit an impossible enemy comp; I mean yea you lose, but it's nothing you did and very little you could have done, so it's just rolling the dice and coming up 1s. It's way worse when you're playing and land in a really good comp and then three of your teammates immediately go off and get killed because they don't have the slightest idea how to play tank/healer/etc., because in that situation victory was in your grasp and you hosed it all up on your own.

I still don't get pissed at those times/people because that's MH and I am sure there is a guy simply in awe of how poor my Doomfist/Genji/Widow play is, but that seems much worse to me than when you're boned by the RNG.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MH is literally the only time the genji will switch to junkrat to bust through a choke

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I actually don't mind when you hit an impossible enemy comp; I mean yea you lose, but it's nothing you did and very little you could have done, so it's just rolling the dice and coming up 1s. It's way worse when you're playing and land in a really good comp and then three of your teammates immediately go off and get killed because they don't have the slightest idea how to play tank/healer/etc., because in that situation victory was in your grasp and you hosed it all up on your own.

I'm the complete opposite because I absolutely HATE that perceived loss of agency. If defeat is inevitable and I'm just going to smash my head against a brick wall then why am I playing (I get defeatist way too easily, it's a problem). If my team just sucks well.. I guess we suck and it was an honest loss.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think in some ways you actually have more personal agency in MH. Lets say you are getting rolled on a payload map and your team are being bots, feeding and cycling through heros. All you have to do is assassinate the linchpin of the enemy team. Usually it is a mercy or something. I would say most heros have some ability in their arsenal to flank, blow cooldowns, and secure that kill. Take the healer away (or the guy that is clearly carrying on his main) -- maybe one of your teammates is smart enough to help, and suddenly the map is going the other direction. On a payload map that just means letting the enemy team flounder around for 3 minutes trying to find another balanced comp.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I think my only complaint about MH is losing all of your ult charge if you die. It gets pretty snowbally pretty quick sometimes.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I've been listening to the Overwatch Music playlist for a good part of the day. How have I missed this before? The level music is REALLY good. Putting it on in the background and playing the game makes it really fun

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this thread has obviously slowed down over the years but is the game active enough? I was reading some of the stuff about OW2 folding the current game into it and I'm curious if I should jump in now or just wait for that to happen?

I'd like to try it out but I dunno about spending $40 on something I might not like / want to spend another $60 on in a few months.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The game is still pretty busy - queue times are a minute or two unless you want to play a DPS character in the competative game mode. It's just quieter now it's no longer in the media. The price got lowered recently - think it's $20 base now?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

If it's not $20 base now it will go on sale for $20 soon - but yea the game is still active and fun af I think (but i only play with friends or really stoned so the toxicity that turns a lot of people off sort of misses me)

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
You can now play open queue so if you do want to shooty shooty you don't have to wait 10 minutes.

I feel like it's pretty chill, nobody's really complaining about team comp but maybe that's because they know you can always go 2-2-2 if you really hate it

This is what I've been playing before I got VR, it's a nice option for to come down from all that.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok thanks! I’ll wait till I see it for $20 and jump in.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
There hasn't been anything really exciting happen for a long while. No new events, no new maps, no hero reworks, Echo is fun but DPS has such a massive choice pool that her impact isn't that big.

The game's still fun and well populated, there's just nothing to really talk about.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

MarcusSA posted:

I'd like to try it out but I dunno about spending $40 on something I might not like / want to spend another $60 on in a few months.

If I understand correctly, everything new and PvP-related in OW2 will get rolled into OW anyways.

And I would be very surprised if there won't be an upgrade offer for OW owners to just get the PVE parts.

So you might as well hop in now, especially considering that there are not even rumors of a release date and that whole Covid situation sure will not expedite matters.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mcbexx posted:

If I understand correctly, everything new and PvP-related in OW2 will get rolled into OW anyways.

And I would be very surprised if there won't be an upgrade offer for OW owners to just get the PVE parts.

So you might as well hop in now, especially considering that there are not even rumors of a release date and that whole Covid situation sure will not expedite matters.

Yeah I’m gonna

I was wrong about the price though having double checked the basic edition is $20. I swear I’ve seen the legendary edition on sale before though for $20.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

mcbexx posted:

ow2 is just the pve parts. blizzard employees have said that if all you care about is pvp, you dont need to buy ow2 at all and will still receive all the benefits, new modes, new heroes, new maps etc

personally i care a lot about the pve and my goon friends who wont play ow because it is pvp are pretty universally jazzed for it, but you have the option here

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

ow2 is just the pve parts. blizzard employees have said that if all you care about is pvp, you dont need to buy ow2 at all and will still receive all the benefits, new modes, new heroes, new maps etc

personally i care a lot about the pve and my goon friends who wont play ow because it is pvp are pretty universally jazzed for it, but you have the option here

I forsee having to own OW2 to get access to any new cosmetics etc, which will no doubt be handled by a battlepass system rather than loot boxes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I forsee having to own OW2 to get access to any new cosmetics etc, which will no doubt be handled by a battlepass system rather than loot boxes.

There will probably be some cosmetics locked behind the PVE content, but Blizzard has claimed that once 2 comes out the client for 1 is going to be updated to be completely identical to 2 except for having the PVE content locked, or to put it another way, once 2 comes out, the first game is basically going to cease to exist as it's own distinct game(which is probably going to make installing and updating for us on Consoles an annoying prospect if we don't buy a hard copy of the new one)

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

(which is probably going to make installing and updating for us on Consoles an annoying prospect if we don't buy a hard copy of the new one)
I... doubt it? :confused:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

emgeejay posted:

I... doubt it? :confused:

Well the game currently requires around a 24 or so gig download to update whenever I reinstall it, which at least for me normally means at least a couple hours to download, sometimes leaving it to download overnight, cause the PS4 can be kinda ridiculous when it comes to download speeds cause Sony's kinda bad at online stuff(if this was on PC I could probably get it downloaded and installed inside of an hour or two in comparison)

I can only imagine this getting much worse with Overwatch 2, like it'll probably be at least 40 to 50 gigs in size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Well the game currently requires around a 24 or so gig download to update whenever I reinstall it, which at least for me normally means at least a couple hours to download, sometimes leaving it to download overnight, cause the PS4 can be kinda ridiculous when it comes to download speeds cause Sony's kinda bad at online stuff(if this was on PC I could probably get it downloaded and installed inside of an hour or two in comparison)

I can only imagine this getting much worse with Overwatch 2, like it'll probably be at least 40 to 50 gigs in size

The new COD Warzone is like 100 gigs.

Fortnite is pushing 100 as well.

Yeah OW2 is gonna be larger...

I don’t see the issue though?