Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, she just looks worn tf out. Looks like it was an exceptionally rough night for everyone, so I wonder if any other MGs got got like Cassidy did.

Poor Cassidy.

PetraCore posted:

I feel like it'll be an exceptionally rough night for MG groups, but a potentially fatal night for loners. Cassidy is an extremely good fighter, but she got into trouble because there was nobody to watch her back(s), because she blew off her team after having a rough-rear end day. This is not to victim blame! I just think the reality of being a magical girl gets so normalized for those involved they can sometimes forget there are reasons they're encouraged to group up that surpass social dynamics, and both times we've seen that sort of team break-down it's ended badly.

With Cassidy specifically I think there's another layer where HP has been fighting on her own for so long and been fine, so when Cassidy needed a) space and b) to vent frustration, it seemed like a really good idea to split off from her team for a night and just whale on monsters.

Yeah now that we've seen how worn out these 2 are (where as Rue & Zoe were just a little tired but otherwise fine) I would not be surprised if a bunch of solo girls got nixed

or, at the very least, super beat up ala Harley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Cassidy was also getting specific attention from Goops, which I'm sure didn't help.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I wish I had photoshop so I could make Bud saying “I’m getting too old for this poo poo”

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The new scrollbar for Hiveworks describes Wilde Life as "a bearded man observes the antics of supernatural rednecks."

I cannot dispute this.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Julius CSAR posted:

I wish I had photoshop so I could make Bud saying “I’m getting too old for this poo poo”

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Now someone edit in real eyes so its cursed.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Now tweet that to Mary Cagel!

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Unlucky7 posted:

Now tweet that to Mary Cagel!

I did

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Do people reckon that Sleepless Domain gets enough attention on its own to warrant its own thread? I dunno what the etiquette on that is.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

JustaDamnFool posted:

Do people reckon that Sleepless Domain gets enough attention on its own to warrant its own thread? I dunno what the etiquette on that is.

It absolutely gets enough chatter to warrant its own thread. No offense to its fans, but this thread is DOMINATED by SD chat right now which is frustrating.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It always feels like there's one comic dominating general discussion. Would QC be the alternative?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It seems like a comic will dominate conversation for a bit and then fall off - though SD does get a lot of attention and tends to spark longer running discussions than most others. We can certainly start a SD thread, worst that happens is it dies and conversation eventually migrates back here.

Everyone should read Sleepless Domain, though. It's a Magical Girl story but holy poo poo it's got an iron fist under the frilly transformation montage.

Question, what was the comic done by The Sword Interval guy before he did The Sword Interval? I forgot the name.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

habeasdorkus posted:

It seems like a comic will dominate conversation for a bit and then fall off - though SD does get a lot of attention and tends to spark longer running discussions than most others. We can certainly start a SD thread, worst that happens is it dies and conversation eventually migrates back here.

Everyone should read Sleepless Domain, though. It's a Magical Girl story but holy poo poo it's got an iron fist under the frilly transformation montage.

Question, what was the comic done by The Sword Interval guy before he did The Sword Interval? I forgot the name.

Pretty sure that is Derelict.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Before that it was Parallel Dementia, which Sword Interval is sort of a reboot of.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I did end up reading Sleepless Domain because at a certain point it was either that or unsub from this thread. It's been better lately, but there were times that several pages went by with only like three non-SD posts.

To be clear, I'm glad I'm reading it! But we should definitely try to leave room and not drown attempts to start other discussion. I think that one huge SD-only streak was finally slain by someone asking for new comic recommendations.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 10, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The secret is to talk more about other webcomics.

Currently in 2 Slices, I kind of wonder whether Mamo actually wants to lead the basketball team or whether he's just been pushed into it by a friend group that made him doing a job they don't want to do their arbitrary measure of his personal maturity.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rand Brittain posted:

Well to toot me and NJ's horn a bit, Undead Friend just recently passed 500 pages on its reboot and in about 15 days it'll be the 2-year anniversary of this version of the comic.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
is it the shameless self promotion hour, because I will toot horns all day

my own horn, your horn, I ain't give a drat I'm a horn tootin son of a bitch read MDA

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

:hmmyes:

At least the thread gets action when it becomes SD talk. I mean, we haven't had a 2 Minutes Hate Gripe about QC in a while, but i don't think that's the kind of other talk we want.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Hey, I like a webcomic called Whomp! (not to be confused with the other Ronnie comic). It's pretty obscure you probably never heard of it.

No, wait, the opposite. You probably are looking at it right now! It's very popular! But it's still a fun read imo.

Sometimes updates are a bit sparse, and apparently he does some other stuff that I don't like as much. Otaku Dad was one, but maybe you like that kind of thing, I don't judge.

Anyway, that's Whomp!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i remember whomp way back when filyaw still posted every new strip on the penny arcade forums

he found a gimmick and leaned into it so hard it broke through the earth's mantle, but he's good enough to keep the gag from getting too stale

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Also, in Girl Genius, I feel somewhat bad for Tweedle, who spent all this time on realpolitik only to be told that sorry, you have to have the right magic bloodline to be the rightful king.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Rand Brittain posted:

Also, in Girl Genius, I feel somewhat bad for Tweedle, who spent all this time on realpolitik only to be told that sorry, you have to have the right magic bloodline to be the rightful king.
It makes a lot if sense when you consider powerful Sparks who establish kingdoms are going to be heavily biased towards authoritarian egomania and 'divine right to rule', but I like that it's also in universe kind of very dumb and just causes dominos of problems.

Truly, the solution is to pull an Albia and never die.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Neophyte posted:

Hey, I like a webcomic called Whomp! (not to be confused with the other Ronnie comic). It's pretty obscure you probably never heard of it.

No, wait, the opposite. You probably are looking at it right now! It's very popular! But it's still a fun read imo.

Sometimes updates are a bit sparse, and apparently he does some other stuff that I don't like as much. Otaku Dad was one, but maybe you like that kind of thing, I don't judge.

Anyway, that's Whomp!
Whomp! is memorable and entertaining but sometimes a little too real and it hurts.

(Then again, I will still occasionally think about this strip completely unprompted.)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Whomp! only has a few jokes, which it does well, but really kills any interest in keeping up on it.

I will however always appreciate that they keep running with the joke that any shirt he puts on instantly transforms into a floral shirt.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Anime is blood.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Oxxidation posted:

i remember whomp way back when filyaw still posted every new strip on the penny arcade forums

he found a gimmick and leaned into it so hard it broke through the earth's mantle, but he's good enough to keep the gag from getting too stale

self-conscious enough*

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Neophyte posted:

Anyway, that's Whomp!

Whomp is one of my favorites and I loved Otaku Dad.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

TwoPair posted:

At least the thread gets action when it becomes SD talk. I mean, we haven't had a 2 Minutes Hate Gripe about QC in a while, but i don't think that's the kind of other talk we want.

Too late, you brought it up and now I'm going to complain that the apparent conclusion to the vaguely interesting robot-criminal-rights dilemma turns out to be 'just get the attention of a fabulously wealthy white dude and hope he will decide to leverage the government into being better'.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ashcans posted:

Too late, you brought it up and now I'm going to complain that the apparent conclusion to the vaguely interesting robot-criminal-rights dilemma turns out to be 'just get the attention of a fabulously wealthy white dude and hope he will decide to leverage the government into being better'.

The quantity of my surprise cannot be measured by my meager human intellect, without an electron microscope.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ashcans posted:

Robots are going to get socialized healthcare before humans do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cat Mattress posted:

Robots are going to get socialized healthcare before humans do.
Jeph's setting is weirdly mundane for being post-singularity.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PMush Perfect posted:

Jeph's setting is weirdly mundane for being post-singularity.

I mean, it's not post-singularity by definition, because it's completely culturally continuous with our present. "Mundane" and "technological singularity" literally can't coexist, by Vinge's original definition. And that sort of summarizes why the sci-fi elements in QC always fell so flat for me - there's no actual interest in estrangement or interesting otherworldliness, they're just recapitulations of the same stuff as before but now with robots. And that would be fine if he didn't try to make sci fi plots happen then immediately implode them when he couldn't stand to actually enact the genre. That was really the last straw for me, the constant gestures as a William Gibson pastiche and then immediately 'lol nope back to the coffee shop' so that it falls entirely flat.

"It is a point where our old models must be discarded and a new reality rules, a point that will loom vaster and vaster over human affairs until the notion becomes a commonplace. Yet when it finally happens, it may still be a great surprise and a greater unknown," saith Vernor Vinge. And internet nerds respond with 'so it will be exactly like right now, including the economic and social order, but I'll have a robot buddy to solve all my daily problems.'

All the fundamental anxiety, tension, and thrill of the concept has bled out, leaving nothing but a technocratic solutionism spread thin over an inability to move beyond the status quo. Why yes, it irritates me immensely.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

I mean, it's not post-singularity by definition, because it's completely culturally continuous with our present. "Mundane" and "technological singularity" literally can't coexist, by Vinge's original definition. And that sort of summarizes why the sci-fi elements in QC always fell so flat for me - there's no actual interest in estrangement or interesting otherworldliness, they're just recapitulations of the same stuff as before but now with robots. And that would be fine if he didn't try to make sci fi plots happen then immediately implode them when he couldn't stand to actually enact the genre. That was really the last straw for me, the constant gestures as a William Gibson pastiche and then immediately 'lol nope back to the coffee shop' so that it falls entirely flat.

"It is a point where our old models must be discarded and a new reality rules, a point that will loom vaster and vaster over human affairs until the notion becomes a commonplace. Yet when it finally happens, it may still be a great surprise and a greater unknown," saith Vernor Vinge. And internet nerds respond with 'so it will be exactly like right now, including the economic and social order, but I'll have a robot buddy to solve all my daily problems.'

All the fundamental anxiety, tension, and thrill of the concept has bled out, leaving nothing but a technocratic solutionism spread thin over an inability to move beyond the status quo. Why yes, it irritates me immensely.

It sounds like The Midas Plague . But without the satire.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 11, 2020

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Hostile V posted:

Anime is blood.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Today, in A Ghost Story: baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
That sure is an

Ironic Twist

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

alt-text:

quote:

to make this page i had to google the phrase "dog-kissing" to make sure it wasnt too deeply linked in the public consciousness with its usage in the american classic "national lampoon's christmas vacation" and it was the scariest google search of my life before i realized it was just a bunch of articles asking why dogs lick our faces. why was i expecting something so debauched and hosed up. whats wrong with me.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

With apologies to those who don't like Sleepless Domain chat, HP finally pops the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Since we realized that HP and Undine's costumes were syncing, I am now poring over every new page with them and back-checking to see if anything alters. I don't think there have been any further adjustments?