Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Honestly if it's all outside it's probably not a big deal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1281237429043834881

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
They call it "Vaping"

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/AllisonFox4News/status/1281257342915489794

:shepicide:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, my dad's test took 11 days. Its ridiculous and useless. By the time you get the results to warn others you had it it's too late and they've probably spread it themselves. The only same looking choice is to have everyone who has been remotely near you get tested the second you might have symptoms and go in for a test which:

1) exacerbates the issue
2) lol good luck asking your workplace to lock down without a test result.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Took 8 days to get ours

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

the end is nigh

https://twitter.com/JakeLahut/status/1281216520715210752

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dude can you imagine the rage when there is not only no HS football, but any football at all this fall.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Fathers throughout rural Texas will have to find new reasons to hit their large sons. It's just Goddamn beyond everything.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
old people are already raging because they cant get their season tickets to watch 17 year old give each other head injuries

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

zoux posted:

Dude can you imagine the rage when there is not only no HS football, but any football at all this fall.

The rapture has a better chance happening than football not being played this year.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

halokiller posted:

The rapture has a better chance happening than football not being played this year.

maybe our idea of the rapture was a little too wholesome for reality. a lot of people sure are going to heaven

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

I don't think that we, as a people, are fully prepared for just how much we, as a people, are going to collectively lose our poo poo this fall.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

No football will break this nation

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

This would turn Texas blue if people realized it was Trump's fault but they'll blame the school officials instead

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Austin, represent:

https://bit.ly/2Zgfkyy

p.s. Buy my detox scam new age health poo poo plz.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the comments of that led me to this

https://m.facebook.com/groups/320981818915316?group_view_referrer=profile_browser

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh poo poo, Ron Paul, hero of Southern Brazoria County weighs in!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Fleet footed negroes carrying the virus have been s

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1281284876579287040

Well, this is certainly one way to clear up accusations that you're not actually a Democrat.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I wouldn’t be surprised if some towns organized “outlaw” games and forced kids to play in them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

I don't think that we, as a people, are fully prepared for just how much we, as a people, are going to collectively lose our poo poo this fall.

The school thing...like it's not a deal where we're like "here's the clear solution they're just not willing to undertake it" like UHC or police reform...I legit have no clue what they should do. I feel like the school year is going to be such a wasted year anyway that they should just like, cancel school for the year? Obviously that's impossible for all kinds of political and social reasons, but other than that I have no idea.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Numlock posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if some towns organized “outlaw” games and forced kids to play in them.

Shut Up and Jam Hike: Y'all

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I can't speak for everywhere, but I've definitely seen organized school and club sporting events going on for a month or more since Labor Day. Crowds in the stands, kids practicing together, etc.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

zoux posted:

The school thing...like it's not a deal where we're like "here's the clear solution they're just not willing to undertake it" like UHC or police reform...I legit have no clue what they should do. I feel like the school year is going to be such a wasted year anyway that they should just like, cancel school for the year? Obviously that's impossible for all kinds of political and social reasons, but other than that I have no idea.

The solution is to shut down and implement comprehensive testing and tracing. Enforcing mask laws and gatherings are also part of the equation. On their own, the schools have no way to be successful with the options they are currently being given. This year is going to put a lot of children behind I fear.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

zoux posted:

TBH a lot of texans my dad's age want it to be cancelled more because he doesn't want to see players taking a knee instead of, you know, the pandemic.

That's very frustrating to hear considering he almost died from the drat virus.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

I can't speak for everywhere, but I've definitely seen organized school and club sporting events going on for a month or more since Labor Day. Crowds in the stands, kids practicing together, etc.

since Labor Day?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, regularly, at school stadiums. I'm sure it's all "unofficial," but I grew up out here, and 30+ cars in the lot with 50 people in the bleachers and kids in the field ain't a pickup match, heh. It's not necessarily a scheduled event, but it's definitely organized.

EDIT: My sense of what I have seen is that some of it is essentially summer practice for the fall sports being done under the table, which actually happens every year, and some of it has been like club sports using municipal facilities. I think at least in Galveston County they've crackeddown on using those facilities, and that may be true over here also, but let's see what shakes out over the next week or so.

EDIT EDIT: Oh whatever the gently caress. I've lived abroad for 14+ years, labor day is in May everywhere else. Since the holiday in loving May. How about that.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 9, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1281316469779902466

:hmmyes:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

I really have no idea what we're supposed to do this fall. I think cramming kids back into classrooms in a month and a half is a bad idea, but canceling in-person classes altogether introduces enormous societal problems that we have done absolutely nothing to prepare to grapple with. Every alternative to in-person classes is inferior in terms of education, but education isn't really what most parents are thinking about when they demand that schools be open - they're thinking about childcare. And if our society's primary mode of childcare isn't there this fall, there are a lot of working parents who are about to be put in an impossible situation. This crisis has completely upended the way we've organized childcare, healthcare, and employment in our society, and we haven't even begun to reckon with it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/nicolecobler/status/1281326438885588993

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Pretty cool that we hosed up our response to the virus so bad that school is about to reopen and we are in a worse situation than ever. There is no response to this in capitalism other than let people die and to those in power that means the poor must die.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Comrayn posted:

Pretty cool that we hosed up our response to the virus so bad that school is about to reopen and we are in a worse situation than ever. There is no response to this in capitalism other than let people die and to those in power that means the poor must die.

Do you think they don’t have capitalism in South Korea or Taiwan or Germany

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
the real pandemic is all the idiots we met along the way

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reminder if there was any will whatsoever, we could have a china style 3 week lockdown and schools could still open on time. but we won't lmao

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Do we even have a food distribution system that could handle everyone* being welded into their residences for 3 weeks straight? Maybe, but if we were competent enough to pull that off without leaving people to starve we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

They don't in North Korea and they have zero cases and zero deaths :angel:

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Over 1,200 positive cases in the Valley today since we opened a 5,000/day testing arena earlier this week:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/07/09/1274-new-covid-19-cases-hidalgo-county-single-day/

Did we win?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Please run what they have done by your local representative and ask them what they call those government measures.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Comrayn posted:

Please run what they have done by your local representative and ask them what they call those government measures.

My rep is a Democrat and my City Council member is in the DSA, what's your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ReindeerF posted:

Oh I would totally live there, I like South Texas. It's like West Texas with better food and more water, but the medical care is the specific contributing issue I was referring to. It's not just due to stereotypes and predatory behavior, there are very real business reasons for it in addition to social reasons on the medical side, not the patient side. Unfortunately, in our system, money affects provision of healthcare, and what I meant was there aren't enough doctors or facilities, especially good ones - if you want patients, the Valley has them, you can go offer care there and stay busy.

It's gotten better since McAllen, Edinburg, Harlingen and the other border trade cities have become real, booming economies in the last couple of decades, thankfully, but it still has a long way to catch up and that means if enough people get sick you've got a fairly limited supply in Corpus, then it's pinning your hopes on San Antonio, maybe Austin, or further afield, Houston. Traveling for care isn't out of the ordinary down there, as with many far flung places, but extended care for something like this, if needed, really puts a strain on your average family in various ways.

But, yeah, nothing against RGV, just is what it is. Up around this part of the Guff Coast, it floods and hurricanes blow our poo poo down all the time, when it doesn't hail or a refinery doesn't blow up, but on balance it's not a bad place to be from. Everywhere's got issues, gotta pick through the poo poo to get to the corn.
don't forget the goth music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1EUT1h9gEQ