Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When I'm watching streaming I've noticed that at times, usually when a shot is panning, the motion becomes jerky in a way that sort of makes me want to puke. Like every other frame is skipping or something? Is this normal? is there some way I can resolve this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Not really. Your options are increasing the framerate of the source material (like using motion smoothing), or lowering graphics settings on PC (for games).

This is mainly a byproduct of moving from the analog signal display of CRT to the "sample and hold" system of digital TV.

It will also be more noticeable with 24p movie content on a 60Hz display, due to uneven division of frames e.g. 3:2:3:2 etc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He probably needs to turn off the soap opera effect.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

veni veni veni posted:

When I'm watching streaming I've noticed that at times, usually when a shot is panning, the motion becomes jerky in a way that sort of makes me want to puke. Like every other frame is skipping or something? Is this normal? is there some way I can resolve this?

Take a pic of your current settings in the picture settings and post them

edit: specifically this one: https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/tcl/r625/r625-config-4-medium.jpg

edit 2: description of the settings that apply here (turn off and on to see if anything helps... except action smoothing... leave that poo poo off)

quote:

The TCL R617 and R615 feature new options to help motion appear smoother. The first option is called Action Smoothing, which is TCL's name for motion interpolation. We recommend leaving this setting off, but if you find lower framerate content looks choppy (stutter), you can enable it, in which case the TV will interpolate extra frames to increase the framerate up to 60 Hz. Natural Cinema is the option which enables the TCL's judder reduction feature. We leave it off for our calibration, but turning it on will remove judder from 24p content (movies usually) played from non native-24p sources such as a cable box, or even from the built-in apps. LED Motion Clarity is the R617 and 615's new black frame insertion feature. We recommend leaving this off as it introduces flicker, but you can turn it on if 60 fps stutter bothers you.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 9, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

veni veni veni posted:

There are a lot of words I can type on this subject and its...complicated. A lot has to do with your equipment (both streaming device and TV), your streaming source, what it is you are watching.

The cliff notes are....

Most content is 24fps.

We saddled ourselves with multiples of 30hz with regards to framerate due to our AC standard (even though TVs are now all DC anyways.)

Nothing handles all of this all that gracefully.

24fps content, traditionally, got squeezed into a 60hz carrier though 3:2 pull down. One frame is repeated 3 times, the other 2. This is an uneven cadence that can be detected by the human eye, but it isn't SUPER offensive. Some TVs can even undo this, recognizing that cadence and switching it to 5:5 (in the case of a 120hz TV). This is the land in which we are happy.

However SOME streaming sources are dicks and stream stuff at 30fps. 30 is close to 24 right? Sure, lets do that, ship it. I'm looking at stuff like FX Now, TNT Now, and other (mostly channel specific) streaming services.

That stuff is rear end because in order to put 30fps into 24 fps your cadence has to be 1:1:1:2 which then gets doubled (or quadrupled in the case of a 120hz TV) to 2:2:2:4 or 4:4:4:8. Regardless, that 4th frame is up on the screen twice as long as the other three frames. This is MUCH harder on the human brain than the 3:2:3:2:3 alternating difference and is puke inducing on wide pans. Some TVs are good enough to detect this actually and fix it. My X900E I have in my bedroom and game room actually do a pretty good job at fixing this without adding motion interpolation. Most TVs fall apart though and can't, especially 60hz native ones.

So, what can you do? Well, if it's a situation where it truely is a 24 source streamed at 30fps (and your TV can't fix it), the best you can do is muck about with your motion interpolation settings and see if you can find one that smooths it out without introducing a ton of SOE.

For other stuff, you really want to match framerate to content if you can. That usually means setting your streaming device to passthrough the refresh rate (Apple TV and Roku) or manually set a refresh rate (Nvidia Shield) that matches your content. Some TVs can do just fine with 60fps input and can pull the 24fps source out of it with a correct cadence. You can find that out by looking your TV up on rtings and seeing this list:

code:
Judder-Free 24p Yes
Judder-Free 24p via 60p Yes
Judder-Free 24p via 60i Yes
Judder-Free 24p via Native Apps Yes
The first tells you if the tv can natively show 24fps at all, the second tells you if the TV can extract 24fps cadence when delivered over a 60hz signal, the third is the same only interlaced (like a cable 1080i60 signal). The last one is if the native apps don't do something stupid like convert to 60fps before showing a 24fps stream.

There's also a whole other level of bullshit around 23.976fps and 24 fps, but that's relatively minor in the scheme of things.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God damnit it's like every reputable source of 55" C9s in Britain has dried up. Many aren't even showing listings anymore. I still can't get a straight answer out of John Lewis about if they still stock them or what the deal is. This seems to have happened maybe a day or two before I decided it was time to pull the trigger.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Are CXs much more expensive there?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

morestuff posted:

Are CXs much more expensive there?

I think in or around £300 more expensive. Which is £300 more than the B9.

That poo poo adds up.
As for John Lewis, word on the streets is they are shedding jobs due to Covid + Brexit + BoJo's Incompetent Government. So that might also effect their stock and sale and supplies.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, the CX is a £400 jump.

The B9 is still showing, and of course it's cheaper. I don't know what the implications of getting a B9 are for my use case (which is, gaming with specifically a view to PS5 compatibility, and netflix). I've never been entirely sure what the deal is with the B series given the price difference.

E: Literally as I write JL confirmed to me the 55" C9 is reduced to clear. gently caress.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
B's just have the previous gen's processor which means in like 4 years you'll stop getting firmware updates while the C will get them for a few more years than that. It's extremely unlikely that this will matter for you in any way, but some people feel more comfortable spending a little extra to help futureproof their $2000 purchase.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fedule posted:

Yeah, the CX is a £400 jump.

The B9 is still showing, and of course it's cheaper. I don't know what the implications of getting a B9 are for my use case (which is, gaming with specifically a view to PS5 compatibility, and netflix). I've never been entirely sure what the deal is with the B series given the price difference.

E: Literally as I write JL confirmed to me the 55" C9 is reduced to clear. gently caress.

Iirc Linus Tech tips :canada: did an ultimate gaming setup with a b9 and had nothing but praise.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My very specific concern is, full HDMI 2.1/VRR support. I want to know that, if by some miracle someone makes a visual showcase PS5 launch title that supports 4K120, or one that runs 4K VRR at up to 120, that it'll all work for me. That's all I really care about; I never use image processing stuff anyway.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
B9 has HDMI 2.1 and G Sync compatability

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, looking into this more.

RTings notes in its comparison that the C9 and B9 are "very similarly performing" with "any differences attributed to panel variance". It also says the B9 manages a real scene HDR brightness of 526 nits to the C9's 726. This seems like a pretty major difference? How is this finding reconcilable with the conclusion? I'm coming off a KS8000 (7000 in the US) and my only real concern is the brightness comparison.

I hate this, by the way. I settled on the C9 as the optimal pick a while ago but waited to buy one for about five different reasons, the time finally rolls around and suddenly there seems to be some kind of actual conspiracy to kill off specifically the 55" C9.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You know what that means... 65" :getin:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
My KS8000 died on me last year. I got a B9 to replace it. The KS8000 did get noticeably brighter but I feel like everything else on the B9 makes up for it. I wouldn't say the B9 is dim either. In HDR it can get pretty bright. I am in a dark room though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Picking up a C9 tomorrow since my local store can't get a CX for a few weeks and not having a tv kinda sucks.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

American McGay posted:

You know what that means... 65" :getin:

Yeah... I wondered. But I've never been convinced of this, the 55" feels overwhelmingly big in my space as it is, and I'm not at all sure I can justify the expense. It seems like even the 65" B9 is more expensive than the 55" CX.

serebralassazin posted:

My KS8000 died on me last year. I got a B9 to replace it. The KS8000 did get noticeably brighter but I feel like everything else on the B9 makes up for it. I wouldn't say the B9 is dim either. In HDR it can get pretty bright. I am in a dark room though.

Yeah, the whole deal here is that the unrivalled contrast offsets the lower brightness, so this makes complete sense. I just think £200 is a very fair difference for 200 nits... which is why it sucks so much that the 55C9 seems to be getting memory-holed!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i swear to god Fedule if you don't have your OLED by the end of summer to party with us in LG town i'm dragging you by one of your big bone dog ears myself to best buy or whatever the gently caress they have in europe.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
When my KS8000 died I originally tried a Sony LED. The 950G I think. Nice TV. A little too bright with HDR sometimes for me. The clouding with the local dimming was a more noticeable than KS8000's edge lit dimming. Aside from being way brighter and being full array backlight I didn't think it was a significant enough step up from 8000. So I went and got a B9 to try it out. I hadn't tried it out first due to burn in concerns. Once I got it home, set it up and watched some stuff. I packed up the Sony in the box same night to return it. Just get an OLED.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

beep by grandpa posted:

i swear to god Fedule if you don't have your OLED by the end of summer to party with us in LG town i'm dragging you by one of your big bone dog ears myself to best buy or whatever the gently caress they have in europe.

Gah, find me someone worth a drat stocking the 55C9 and I will pull this trigger right now. If not, and if I can't be convinced that one of the little issues with the B9 won't bug me continually over the next five years, I've still got my original plan of waiting until a sale pushes the CX into my price range, which will coincidentally be right about when the PS5 rolls around.

Why the gently caress is everyone suddenly dropping the 55C9 anyway?! It's like the sweet spot OLED right now, are they all completely insane? Is COVID somehow responsible?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fedule posted:

Why the gently caress is everyone suddenly dropping the 55C9 anyway?! It's like the sweet spot OLED right now, are they all completely insane? Is COVID somehow responsible?

It's last year's model and stock is running out. Not much more than that.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Fedule posted:

Gah, find me someone worth a drat stocking the 55C9 and I will pull this trigger right now. If not, and if I can't be convinced that one of the little issues with the B9 won't bug me continually over the next five years, I've still got my original plan of waiting until a sale pushes the CX into my price range, which will coincidentally be right about when the PS5 rolls around.

Basically the CX has been released so they are trying to sell it out so people will buy the CX over the C9.

When the BX is released, the same thing will happen with the B9.

I'm in Ireland so I don't have access to all the same places to check as the UK, but have you checked Argos or Currys/PC World for OLED's?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The lack of C9 55 and the destroyed B9 55 from Amazon/Vanns is what made me decide to go ahead to pony up and get the C9 65 before it was gone too. It was successfully delivered by Best Buy earlier this week.

I had a 10+ year old 42" Panasonic plasma and the change has been quite shocking.
Since I purchased a Sanus wall mount, I took a chance before the TV arrived and went ahead and put the wall mount up per the Sanus wall mount measurement tool on their website dialed in for the LG C9 65 and the bottom height I wanted. I also bought a $40 kit for running cables behind the wall that also adds an outlet at TV height behind the TV. It was a relief when I finally mounted the TV and all the measurements worked out.

Thanks to this thread for answering my questions. I'm very pleased with this TV of the future. Now I Just need to spend some time dialing in the settings.

I watched some ocean show on Amazon prime that was 4K and it was like looking at jelly fish at the aquarium.

My receiver is older so I ran optical out to it for audio from the TV.

:toot:

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 10, 2020

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The Question IRL posted:

Basically the CX has been released so they are trying to sell it out so people will buy the CX over the C9.

When the BX is released, the same thing will happen with the B9.

I'm in Ireland so I don't have access to all the same places to check as the UK, but have you checked Argos or Currys/PC World for OLED's?

From my investigations, John Lewis, Richer Sounds, Peter Tyson, Amazon, and Argos are all out. Curry's say they have some but not for delivery period and not anywhere local to me.

It looks like for my sins of waiting a week too long I am going to have to shift to the CX, and so long as the CX is the current model there's no urgency until the PS5 is out, especially for having to go £400 out of my price comfort zone (which the C9 was already at the upper bound of) and sale season being only a couple months away. Alternatively somebody might actually convince me that the B9's 200 nit luminance loss and whatever exactly the deal is with its colour banding is not the problem it sounds to me like?

E: Yeah, the more I read about this colour banding thing the more alarming it sounds.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 10, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Well lumens in general scale weird. The more lumens there are, the more lumens need to be added to make a difference. In any case it's probably not linear as in, adding 200 lumens to 600 lumens makes it a third brighter to your human eyes.

I dunno man. It sounds like you don't want to spend the cash, which is reasonable. The B9 is really good. You probably aren't going to poo poo yourself at how dim it is, especially without a side by side comparison. The C9 is really loving bright. I don't even run my C9 at max brightness. It's probably fine dude.

Honestly I think you're just psyching yourself out about this and the banding issues. The B9 is a really good TV, but if you're that worried about it, then sure get the CX, but drat are you going to be paying a huge premium for ultimately not a ton more set.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's also worth noting that OLED doesn't need to run giant lumen numbers in the same way that QLED does because the contrast is perfect. The brightness isn't competing against a backlight.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fedule posted:

Yeah... I wondered. But I've never been convinced of this, the 55" feels overwhelmingly big in my space as it is, and I'm not at all sure I can justify the expense. It seems like even the 65" B9 is more expensive than the 55" CX.
Depends on how far back you are for viewing.

My wife was dead set against a 65, going from our 55. We're like 12 feet away from the TV so not optimal.

Once I had the 65 set up, she really, really loved it. Even if she did make fun of the fact that, initially, the drapes had to be pushed back behind the panel.
"Lol told you it was too big!"

10 minutes of her Ytube food blogger on the B9 and she was no longer worried about the size.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just get the 65"

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

10 minutes and she was no longer worried about the size.

Thread title

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I’m not buying a 65”.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Taima posted:

It's also worth noting that OLED doesn't need to run giant lumen numbers in the same way that QLED does because the contrast is perfect. The brightness isn't competing against a backlight.

Have to disagree here. The visceral, eye-contracting reaction you get from the super bright high-end LCDs isn't something that can yet be duplicated by OLED and it's super cool on movies that are mastered right. Watch the Krypton battle scene in Man of Steel (then throw it in the trash rather than watch the rest of the movie).

It's just not really worth the trade-off -- the benefits of infinite contrast are greater than the benefits of increased brightness. When the oled (or potentially mini-led) can get brighter and check both boxes that will be a very good day.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I literally had to shield my eyes the first time I saw one of Assassins Creed's all white loading screens on my 900F. I sit close when gaming too so it was full-on :pcgaming: HDR makes a huge difference in those games because of how much time you spend in poorly lit caverns.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Owning an OLED and not having to watch Man of Steel, a win/win situation for sure.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

KS posted:

It's just not really worth the trade-off -- the benefits of infinite contrast are greater than the benefits of increased brightness. When the oled (or potentially mini-led) can get brighter and check both boxes that will be a very good day.

Dual layer LCD haven't really become a thing but besides their obvious size implications they can match OLED black levels with LCD brightness.

Basically they just sandwich a mono LCD player to control the backlight under the color LCD layer. It's more "common" in HDR reference monitors but it's trickling down.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Vizio PQ65 that does 2000 nits and I always have it in calibrated dark mode if it’s not the middle of the afternoon with the sun shining through the windows. Wtf are you people doing

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Costco had the 65” CX for $2400. Super tempting.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ultimate Mango posted:

That's a pretty fantastic price.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Ultimate Mango posted:

That's been the price on Amazon for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The extra Costco warranty is pretty good though right?