Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Time to gently caress up my only phone LET’S GOOOOO

I’m very tempted to do this. I’ve regretted doing betas every time but iOS 13 has felt like one since it’s GM so.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to remove the home bar short of jailbreaking the phone? Goddamn this is so loving stupid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fourwood posted:

Uh oh, first 14.0 Public Beta posted. Hold me back...

I'm trying it on my iPad and ATV, but holding off on my phone for the time being.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

What’s up with the huge ugly gap between my icons and the dock on iOS 14?

Argh I hate it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Is there any way to remove the home bar short of jailbreaking the phone? Goddamn this is so loving stupid.

That bothers me much more on the buttonless iPhones than the notch. It looks terrible.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I can only get 13.6 as an option to update.

Violator
May 15, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m very tempted to do this. I’ve regretted doing betas every time but iOS 13 has felt like one since it’s GM so.:shrug:

I’m always weary of it in case it screws up something that syncs that would be pretty much unfixable, like Photos. I’d rather wait 1-3 months than deal with restoring backups.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violator posted:

I’m always weary of it in case it screws up something that syncs that would be pretty much unfixable, like Photos. I’d rather wait 1-3 months than deal with restoring backups.

Yeah, I decided to wait. The last time I installed an iOS beta I lost a lot of data through beta gently caress ups.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Violator posted:

Good call. I was planning on installing the PB within the next few days, and photos are about the only thing I'm at risk of losing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Imagine not almost immediately uploading photos to Google Photos for free so you have an instant backup. What a life that would be.

I'm just being smarmy though I'm not installing the PB

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dunno I just let icloud do a full backup every night on wifi, i have photostream sync on, and I have every photo Ive taken in the past 6 years on my phone and in the cloud and in photos on my imac so why use google photos?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inner Light posted:

Imagine not almost immediately uploading photos to Google Photos for free so you have an instant backup. What a life that would be.

I'm just being smarmy though I'm not installing the PB

I do that but I want full quality backups as well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What’s the top of the line wireless carplay receiver?

I had an ilx-107, which was great, but went with my old car. Assume there’s newer models now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I had an ilx-107, which was great, but went with my old car. Assume there’s newer models now.

pioneer, jvc, kenwood, alpine all make wireless carplay head units and they are all currently flagships and all priced accordingly ($850AUD+)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Laserface posted:

I dunno I just let icloud do a full backup every night on wifi, i have photostream sync on, and I have every photo Ive taken in the past 6 years on my phone and in the cloud and in photos on my imac so why use google photos?

Because iCloud storage isn’t 100% “safe” because Apple can and does change stuff in the background that can and does break poo poo, evident by the last round of iOS betas where iirc some people lost iCloud data. I use iCloud storage and iCloud Drive, but also have poo poo backed up elsewhere because Apple’s track record here objectively is poo poo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I can only get 13.6 as an option to update.

You need to download the iOS 14 public beta profile if you haven’t.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well 13.5 is a turd and three quarters.

Jesus Apple how do you gently caress up this bad?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I just got an update to Spotify to 8.5.66 on my old iPhone SE on iOS 13.5.1, and now Spotify won't open. It starts up and then pretty immediately gets sent to the background. I've tried restarting my phone and reinstalling the app, but both things didn't fix it.

Has anybody else gotten this? This is pretty unprecedented for me--I've never gotten an app update on iOS or even on Android which doesn't allow me to startup the app.

Is this just a bad version of the app? Everything else on the phone seems to work fine.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Just read that there is a bug in a Facebook API/library causing the crash. It’s not just Spotify but any app that uses the same library.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just read that there is a bug in a Facebook API/library causing the crash. It’s not just Spotify but any app that uses the same library.

Yup. I’m trying to load a game and it crashes immediately.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Strava on my Watch also seems to be dumping instantly right now due to FB integration. Odd that the iPhone app isn't, but at least I still have one way to record my workout.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Not sure I would consider myself a power user or anything. Use my phone for messages, shared notes, awful app, one or two games, instagram, on it more than I'd like to admit. I literally can't remember the last time iOS was an issue, crashed, etc. etc.

Just interesting when I read "ver. xx.xx is awful!" because I'm just like "... I guess?".

iPhone X - maybe it's just been a very good boy.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
My iPhone 11 has suddenly decided that viber will crash immediately after opening it. Nothing else is having issues but viber is hosed. Reinstalling and rebooting and such do nothing. Frustrating.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waze is also immediately crashing (for me, at least). I think I’m logged in with Facebook on it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Dave posted:

Not sure I would consider myself a power user or anything. Use my phone for messages, shared notes, awful app, one or two games, instagram, on it more than I'd like to admit. I literally can't remember the last time iOS was an issue, crashed, etc. etc.

Just interesting when I read "ver. xx.xx is awful!" because I'm just like "... I guess?".

How's your battery life recently?

Because mine went from "eh" to "this is a disaster".

There are Problems right now and anyone on 13.4 is extremely advised to not update until they got this ironed out.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My battery life is “meh”. Needs a nooner charge if I want to get through the day. I’d have it replaced if it was for Covid. Health check says it’s at 83%.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Then you probably won't notice a huge difference.

Until they fix this goddamn disasterzone of a bug.

The effect is like it's pegging a core at all times.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Dave posted:

I'm mainly the same. Most of the changes I've noticed have been quality of life increases and I honestly don't really notice many defects. I use the same apps 99% of the time -- strava, waze, google translate, messages, mail, music, and overcast. As long as those apps are working I gloss over most changes to the OS itself. I haven't had a stability issue until this idiot Facebook SDK debacle, nothing that I can blame on iOS itself. I think my biggest actual-iOS problem lately has been the Gmail "account error" thing people touch on every now and then. But I've just gotten into a habit of manually swiping down to refresh that I don't even think about it anymore.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Then you probably won't notice a huge difference.

Until they fix this goddamn disasterzone of a bug.

The effect is like it's pegging a core at all times.

What bug? Is it iOS 14 related cause it’s running ok on my iPad and I was thinking of putting it on my phone.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

What bug? Is it iOS 14 related cause it’s running ok on my iPad and I was thinking of putting it on my phone.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/07/08/iphone-users-report-music-app-battery-drain/

I didn't have this problem and it's unclear how common it is.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

App Library isn’t super intuitive to set up, the widgets are ok. It seems ok. Thanks apple.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

is there an iOS beta thread?

Haven’t done a beta in a while but 14 seems ok so far

Opening the USAA banking app threw me a “your phone is jailbroken” error though lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

App Library isn’t super intuitive to set up, the widgets are ok. It seems ok. Thanks apple.

It hasn't been clear to me, but can you have your app library without the dumb automatic sorting into folders, like just straight up alphabetical app drawer?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

sourdough posted:

It hasn't been clear to me, but can you have your app library without the dumb automatic sorting into folders, like just straight up alphabetical app drawer?

Yes, just pull down from the sorted folder view and it goes into the alphabetical app drawer.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I realize it’s been... one day, but the iOS 14 beta is problem-free for me so far.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zerot posted:

Yes, just pull down from the sorted folder view and it goes into the alphabetical app drawer.

Cool thanks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anyone know how the iOS 14 is like for a 2020 SE? Any missing features?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Waze is also immediately crashing (for me, at least). I think I’m logged in with Facebook on it.
Lol why would you log into a map app with Facebook? It's bad enough Google is already hoovering up all your location data constantly.

Anyway, no problems with Spotify or 13.5 or anything here. Battery life seems fine. I can get through a day without needing to charge until bed time, and that's good enough for me.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I was gonna say PiP is cool, but I can’t get it to work after I did it the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have a Kenwood DMX906S that I’ve been extremely happy with, but I think that, even though I bought it in November, it is now discontinued. I paid around $600 for it at the time. Wireless CarPlay and a capacitive screen are great features, especially compared to the old Pioneer CarPlay unit in my truck.