Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Super had the good sense to steal ideas from the movies and GT.

All the best parts of Super imo are basically throwing the cast against characters from different genres. With some self-awareness of how DBZ basically made a genre in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I was re watching some of the tournament of power and while it might not have lived up to some people's expectations when it aired it's still really good.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
World's Strongest is great. I love the part during the final battle where everyone is doing tag attacks on Dr. Wheelo.

Except, when it's Krillin's turn, the good doctor just slaps him senseless before he can do anything. :allears:

Stuntman posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

:yikes:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

He begins as a rotund goofy bouncy childlike character who is basically a barely-changed Fat Buu before transforming into a 'cooler looking' dangerous form which is only defeated after Goku and Vegeta fuse.

Edit: Like their similarities are such that more than one game has made jokes about it.

I'm thinking of Shin Budokai here, there may be others, but I love how in Shin Budokai Janemba and Kid Buu become friends entirely because they can, somehow, fully understand each other.

Shin Budokai's story was really good!

Nanigans posted:

I really wish Kaioken and SS God stuck around longer. Red forms best forms.

Kaioken got a second shot at life with Blue Kaioken which was cool as hell. It may still get used in Heroes too, if you're watching that (I kind of dropped it once the subs stopped coming, so I have no idea what's going on there beyond the fact that the last episode was somehow even worse animated than usual).

Super Saiyan God though? That gets a lot of use nowadays. It's Xeno Trunks' main form in Heroes, Legends' story has put it front and center with both the main protagonist and antagonist having it (as far as I understand, I don't play Legends), and at least Broly gives it a good chance to shine before moving on to Blue which gives me hope that it'll keep being used as a mid-form between SS and Blue/UI/whatever for following fights.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I meant SSG in the context of the main series.

It got used in the newest movie. I wonder if they'll lean into what seems like the more funky use of ki when using SSG. Gokū was using that weird force hold move which was awesome. I'd like to see more esoteric powers used, and if they can associate it with SSG, all the better. It gives it a reason to exist.

Right now, regular SSJ will never go away because of marketability, SSBlue is the "standard" powered up form, and UI is the "oh, poo poo is bad" power up. SSG feels vestigial at this point.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The best animated parts of DBZ were pretty much all filler, even within the fights.

I'm GUESSING that they farmed out original stuff to the better studios because it was original and the manga stuff to the worse ones since they already had the keyframes. That would be my overall best guess.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/Shoyoumomo_/status/1275888860719972352

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I found an animation cel of majin vegeta and I might buy it so that when they transfer the blu-rays to "8k" or whatever is next they'll have to redo the entire mini-arc and have Piccolo turn evil instead like originally planned.

Edit:^ Someone already bid on it, so if they pay for it, Majin Vegeta is written out of the show(I was mostly joking but thats pretty cool tbh). Arigatto~
Edit: If I buy this , theres no Bulma in the bad future where almost everyone is dead, which means no Trunks, which means whatever that impossible reason why Androids 17 and 18 and Cell are so strong won't happen.

Second edit: I caught an "impossiblity" about real life time. Dragon Ball GT dvds allegedly came out in the USA in 2006, but my friend and I had a copy in 2003.

just bob fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 26, 2020

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Also, Piccolo is defending my creepy basement.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Very similar energy to this classic

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Did you ever want to watch 46 minutes of Japanese Dragon Ball/Z Commercials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ou3GB8lps

Well now you can!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

been reading the super manga, i like when the guy punches the other guy extremely hard

this is my dragon ball review

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yinlock posted:

been reading the super manga, i like when the guy punches the other guy extremely hard

May I recommend the Super anime? The guy punches the other guy extremely hard better in it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah or the movie dragon ball super broly which may feature the hardest anyone has ever been punched in the series

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yinlock posted:

same tbh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

May I recommend the Super anime? The guy punches the other guy extremely hard better in it.

i watched some of it, anime ultra instinct is dope

I like when goku lightly backflips and then it turns out he actually punched a dude 500000 times

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I like that part too.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Yeah, but would he be able to go Super Saiyan, or SSGod or SSBlue? :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Yeah, but would he be able to go Super Saiyan, or SSGod or SSBlue? :colbert:

AFAIK yes he's turned into a peak version of that species.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kild posted:

He doesn't necessarily know how to do anything that species can do, though. Like half the premise of every Ben 10 series is him trying to figure out what the gently caress to do with the alien he turned into.

...so you'd basically have a Goku Black/Captain Ginyu situation. Though I bet Goku would be all down for teaching Ben how to do Saiyan stuff.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Kild posted:

PHYSICAL peak, so he'd have the Ginyu problem of having an impossible martial arts master's body but not actually knowing much martial arts.

Pretty sure Alien X is literally omnipotent though.

Wait did anyone ever train Broly?
He'd pretty much turn into Broly, right?

Captain France fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 10, 2020

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Captain France posted:

PHYSICAL peak, so he'd have the Ginyu problem of having an impossible martial arts master's body but not actually knowing much martial arts.

Pretty sure Alien X is literally omnipotent though.

Wait did anyone ever train Broly?
He'd pretty much turn into Broly, right?

I get the feeling that Paragus at least taught Broly how to scrap. Not necessarily how to fight but how to throw a punch or two. So honestly Ben 10 would essentially be Broly in this situation, someone that has learnt how to throw hands but not any real martial arts training.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You are all missing something important.

He could also turn into Superman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Broly probably might not count, since his thing is being a sort of mutant who works a bit differently from other Saiyans. (and Kale being similar, of course) And basically the DBZ counterpart of the Hulk. The Omnitrix aliens tend to be normal for their species, if in peak physical shape, age and health, like their version of Captain America (or maybe Batman). This isn't usually shown too much, aside from sometimes a female of the species showing up (and the time(s) Gwen gets the Omnitrix) to demonstrate sexual dimorphism, though there is at least one case where Ben goes long-term undercover as an alien among other members of the species, but stands out because they're mostly malnourished and unhealthy while he's huge and muscular. (Which of course, helps impress his employer)

Though the hitch with Ben is that not only are most of his forms completely (ha) alien to him at first, but he's not very good at using the Omnitrix and to end up with different aliens than he expected. Of course, this can be a mix-up for his foes too. (The running gag for the first show is he ends up with the super-smart and tiny Gray Matter, and usually figures out a way to win with his vastly increased intellect. Gray Matter's species are apparently the closest thing to a dominant power in the setting, so) On the other hand, Alien X is literally omnipotent, but to do literally anything in that form Ben has to convince the other two thirds of its split mind to agree- and usually the only thing they can agree on is disagreeing with Ben. He actually locks out that form because he barely even managed to convince them to let him change back. Though I think one of his most powerful forms, Way Big is basically Ultraman. (the Japanese TV show one)

Though we basically already have precedent for both Goku and Superman beating foes who has all their species' strength and power with superior skill, experience and cunning, so Ben probably wouldn't win a mirror match, though it'd likely be fun to watch.

Now, the real question is: what goofy-rear end but catchy name would Ben come up with for his Saiyan form?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I could beat up Ben 10

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Stairmaster boasting about how he could beat up a 10 year old boy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now, the real question is: what goofy-rear end but catchy name would Ben come up with for his Saiyan form?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDYFx4STO4&t=180s

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Virginia.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i could easily beat up julias and all former mods of adtrw

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd kick your loving rear end you little poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ben 10 gets grown adult aliens and humans trying to kill him literally every week, he'd probably wreck all our poo poo.

Oh gently caress, he'd get along way too well with Goten and Trunks. Who also fit his theme of hanging with half-aliens.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwrX5Ing9Ag

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually brings to mind, one thing I think DBZ does particularly well that a lot of media, whether anime, cartoon or live action, doesn't bother with- making aliens look diverse and different from one another. Namekians tend to be the closest resembling one another, but only relatively, and it may be justified given it's implied the majority are basically siblings. There's different ages, body types and a few even have facial hair. I think this is one thing One Piece took and ran with, given even one-off and background characters, especially later on, have wildly diverse designs and body types.

Saiyans in particular- given there's clearly a theme of adult pure Saiyans being muscular, dark-haired and rough and tumble looking, you'd be able to identify pretty much every named Saiyan at a glance. (aside from the ones whose similarity to another is either because of being directly related or at least pointed out in-universe) And not just because of signature hairdos, though I must admit those do play a part. But then, even random one-off mooks and minibosses tend to have unique designs and often at least a measure of personality.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Heroes is introducing a brand-new form for Goku and Vegeta Xeno.

We have no knowledge of it so far beyond that image and that it's a "limit breaking" form which means absolutely nothing. It's the same hair colour as SS4 Gogeta so they may just retcon him as using this post-SS4 form.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
So they're SS4SSGods now.

I hope the latinx deviant art creator who came up with it first gets proper credit.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
And like anything SS4 related, it looks like dog poo poo. Good, 2020 hasn't completely flipped the world upside down.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

So they're SS4SSGods now.

I hope the latinx deviant art creator who came up with it first gets proper credit.

gogeta went ssj4 god back in gt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Giving Gogeta darker fur went a long way towards his SSj4 not looking like complete dogshit, just bad. Wonder what the reasoning was for them...not doing that.