Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

That FT article seems to be only focussing on the death rate and completely ignoring the potential long-term chronic illness that even some mild cases are causing. That’s what worries me as a young person, not the death rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Venomous posted:

Do you ever feel like becoming SteveMega again, just for shits and giggles

Christ no.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

That FT article seems to be only focussing on the death rate and completely ignoring the potential long-term chronic illness that even some mild cases are causing. That’s what worries me as a young person, not the death rate.

It's kinda unknowable atm though, so it's hard to factor in. You might be rightfully worried about it or it might be an extremely rare side effect that you only worry about because of a few overhyped news stories. We just don't have the info to say if either is true.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1281260728041852930?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1281174663813570565
:discourse:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's kinda unknowable atm though, so it's hard to factor in. You might be rightfully worried about it or it might be an extremely rare side effect that you only worry about because of a few overhyped news stories. We just don't have the info to say if either is true.

That’s true, but in an article about how people are worried about the virus, focussing purely on deaths seems a bit limited.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cool, we're going to run out of water because paying dividends to private equity firms is a much more important than fixing leaks.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/10/parts-of-england-could-run-out-of-water-within-20-years-warn-mps

The irony of this is it will end up with nationalised water provision, except the nationalisation will happen at the point of absolute crisis when 40 years of profits have been rinsed out of the industry, the PE firms say "there's no money for repairs we're just going to declare bankruptcy", and the government is forced to step in and pay for it all.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So I see that this is still a thing, somehow:

quote:

There were more than 160 cases of sports coaches engaging in sexual activity with a 16- or 17-year-old in their care since 2016, a BBC investigation has found - prompting campaigners to say the law must be changed "urgently".

Victims, MPs and the NSPCC have renewed calls for a legal "loophole" to be closed to ban anyone holding a position of trust over a child from having a sexual relationship with them.

It is illegal for certain professions, including teachers and doctors, to engage in sexual activity with children, even if they are over the age of consent.

However, the Sexual Offences Act does not extend to sports coaches.

Why does the MoJ even need to review the legislation for something so blatantly awful? And why aren't these sexual predators being fired from their jobs?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

kingturnip posted:

So I see that this is still a thing, somehow:

Why does the MoJ even need to review the legislation for something so blatantly awful? And why aren't these sexual predators being fired from their jobs?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Random callback, but I, Bobstar, remember a previous thread where we talked about knock-off Dyson stick hoovers.

I got one of these and it's fantastic, not Dyson, cheaper than Dyson, and has a super cool charging station. And 2 batteries.

https://uk.tineco.com/products/cordless-vacuums

Worth a look if you've suddenly got time to clean, or have just got kittens

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

kingturnip posted:

The usual process is that some leftie will propose a bill to make the bad thing illegal, some crypt-keeper tier tory will oppose it, backed up by mates in parliament/the media, it eventually passes after far too long, tories claim credit for it to jubilant praise from the press. Also there's a big thread in the wrasslin' subforum if you want too see how widespread it is in just one niche sporty industry.

Edit: gotta love autocorrect chaging "ilegal" to "legal". Very helpful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And in the meantime the CPS discovers that they can prosecute nonce coaches by interpreting 'minor modification of a train service' in the Railways Act 2005 to refer to coaches having sex with 16 year olds.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

But have you considered this:
Get back to work, prole!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Bobstar posted:

Random callback, but I, Bobstar, remember a previous thread where we talked about knock-off Dyson stick hoovers.

I got one of these and it's fantastic, not Dyson, cheaper than Dyson, and has a super cool charging station. And 2 batteries.

Impressed by how little this woman is holding any of these vacuums.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cummings is going to get to completely remake the civil service then with how many people are leaving

https://twitter.com/davidhencke/status/1281283187554103299?s=19

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hierarchies: what to do about them?

I don’t like hierarchies (that is, systems in which people are put into tiers and higher tiers have the right to give orders to lower tiers). Most of the unpleasantness I have personally encountered in my life came from being in lower tiers of one hierarchy or another. Now I’m in a mid-high tier I just try to make it not poo poo for people who report to me, largely by telling them a goal, letting them get on with it and only offering advice if they ask. To date this has worked wildly better than when I tried to give detailed instructions. On the other hand a lot of juniors (and sometimes more senior people too) don’t know what they are doing yet and are embarrassed to ask.

I think this is an avenue of argument for the left. Without going full anarchist, most fears that centrist and rightist people have of a left wing government are that there will be a new hierarchy and they will be at the bottom. That’s a pretty rational thing to fight against. Let’s say the Labour Party as it is today has failed. Is there a new vision to build that promises people that (1) they will no longer have to worry about being at the bottom of the pile; and (2) society won’t collapse?

Soviet-style communism won’t work because it was chock full of hierarchies from the very start. And in most expressly anti hierarchical systems, you end up with an informal hierarchy of “who has the most friends?”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

most fears that centrist and rightist people have of a left wing government are that there will be a new hierarchy and they will be at the bottom. That’s a pretty rational thing to fight against. Let’s say the Labour Party as it is today has failed. Is there a new vision to build that promises people that (1) they will no longer have to worry about being at the bottom of the pile; and (2) society won’t collapse?
I don't think there's a way around that as long as it remains true that when you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression, and as long as some people will join any movement for personal gain, so there will be a bit of actual oppression happening disguised as equality too.

The best that you can do is provide universal services that benefit almost everyone and convince as many people as possible that even if you're worse off for X then you're better off for Y and Z and so overall better off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm going for 1. society collapses and 2. you won't be at the bottom because we're gonna dig a new bottom and put all the class enemies in it.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I wish cancel culture actually worked so I wouldn't have to see any more articles complaining about the author being a victim of it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Puntification posted:

I wish cancel culture actually worked so I wouldn't have to see any more articles complaining about the author being a victim of it.

you too can tell journalists to stfu on twitter

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I think this is an avenue of argument for the left. Without going full anarchist, most fears that centrist and rightist people have of a left wing government are that there will be a new hierarchy and they will be at the bottom. That’s a pretty rational thing to fight against. Let’s say the Labour Party as it is today has failed. Is there a new vision to build that promises people that (1) they will no longer have to worry about being at the bottom of the pile; and (2) society won’t collapse?

Soviet-style communism won’t work because it was chock full of hierarchies from the very start. And in most expressly anti hierarchical systems, you end up with an informal hierarchy of “who has the most friends?”

If you buy an even remotely Marxist reading of history, which many itt claim to, the imposition of class power is an inevitable part of (and the actual basis of) all (complex) human society. You can't avoid that and yes, in a left-governed state, the capitalist and landlord class must be suppressed.

I think the key thing to get across to those centre and right people - or at least those who are arguing in good faith - is that almost none of them are members of the capitalist class so they wouldn't actually experience any hardship. Many would probably have a far better quality of life than they do now. It's breaking through that ideological conditioning that's the challenge.

As you point out, I don't think the eradication of hierarchies is a remotely achievable (or, I would add, desirable) goal, at least in the short to mid term. Once capitalist and reactionary elements have been so thoroughly routed that communism is fully embedded we can start talking about that. Any newly minted left government would have to maintain hierarchical structures to engage in effective class struggle. Ideally these would be designed to prevent abuse - I quite like the syndicalist principle of directly elected representatives subject to immediate recall at any time. So yeah, this isn't a defence of the Soviet model - it was overly bureaucratic and rigid, I agree. With a little more wiggle room there could be something there though.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Bobstar posted:

If I was willing and able to spaff money on a Dyson hoover I would rather have a whole house central vacuum system, those things are dreamy. And far better for you because the exhaust is pumped outside.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

josh04 posted:

Impressed by how little this woman is holding any of these vacuums.

It must be good if they are using it in heaven imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does heaven get very dusty?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

thespaceinvader posted:

10% was overstating, that's fair.

What percent IS acceptable for a loving holiday? .05? .5? 1? 2?

There is a pandemic. It has not stopped, because the government has decided we can all be sacrificed on the altar of the economy.

So please.

Don't go on loving holiday. It is that simple.

If we ALL just. stopped. and stayed at home, continuously, only leaving for critical things which are required for us or someone else to not die, for three to four weeks, there would likely no longer BE a pandemic on, and we could ALL leave the house again. Like New Zealand did.

If everyone keeps going to the pub, going on holiday, going to Alton Towers, getting their loving tenner off food on a monday in august... there will probably be a pandemic on for several more months, and whilst that's amazingly freeing for me in trying out new clothing options, I'd like to actually start going to events outside my loving office at some point in the next year, please. And EVERY trip matters. Every trip knocks on. Every trip exposes tens or hundreds of people, who in turn expose tens or hundreds more people, and so forth. And the people who ARE infected, won't KNOW they hosed up until it's a fortnight too late.

So no, I'm not going to let up. Don't go to the pub. Don't go on holiday. Don't go to a restaurant. Go shopping, for food and medicine, go to work to earn money to eat and stay off the street (and ideally, don't even do that, work from home if it's even slightly possible), and otherwise, stay the gently caress at home.

Because my wife and I would like to leave our house at some point in the next year without risking her dying of a preventable illness.

Life is risk. Some risks are avoidable. This is one of them. Avoid it.

From yesterday but this is a good post. As a shielder, the more people return to their normal lives the longer i can't.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

crispix posted:

It must be good if they are using it in heaven imo

But those poor identical triplets :( Do you think they all died in the same terrible accident?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Does heaven get very dusty?

Dust is dead skin cells, heaven is full of dead people, so probably.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

But those poor identical triplets :( Do you think they all died in the same terrible accident?

Killed by dust allergies, that's why they keep their part of heaven so perfectly clean with these ethereal vacuum cleaners.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Killed by dust allergies, that's why they keep their part of heaven so perfectly clean with these ethereal vacuum cleaners.

Yeah angel wings have that dust on them like moths do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Dust is dead skin cells, heaven is full of dead people, so probably.
"Does each skin cell have a soul" is peak medieval theology.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crankit posted:

Yeah angel wings have that dust on them like moths do.

Angel dust, you say :catdrugs:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I only have access to the web on my lovely phone at the moment and I’m curious. Can someone search my flaps score? I suspect it will be bad as I mainly lurk and occasionally just come and shout something into the void the thread might like.

I’d like to put a number on how bad my posting is tho yknow

OwlFancier posted:

You are 0.821 which is quite good IMO.

Or, uh, I guess depending how you define good.

You are 4/5ths as engaging and high impact as pissflaps.

Thanks! That is quite good. I can live in the shadow of such an engaging and high impact individual.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I unironically worry about flaps and his family no he can no longer :justpost:, guy's going to have a lot of time on his hands

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I unironically worry about flaps and his family no he can no longer :justpost:, guy's going to have a lot of time on his hands

You should read your av text more often

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jakabite posted:

Thanks! That is quite good. I can live in the shadow of such an engaging and high impact individual.

Your number of mentions outside of quotes is probably helped as your story about getting seen by the police for threatening the olympic torch relay with a water balloon gets retold on a regular basis by posters who half-remember it with key details different each time

ThomasPaine posted:

I assure you from a quick check of his twitter account he's putting it all to good productive use by endlessly arguing against trans rights with an endless rotating cast of people who aren't yet familiar with his posting and thus think he might be reachable through reasoned argument

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

ThomasPaine posted:

Don't, he's transferred his engagement and high impact posting to twitter where he's gone full Glinner.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Angepain posted:

Your number of mentions outside of quotes is probably helped as your story about getting seen by the police for threatening the olympic torch relay with a water balloon gets retold on a regular basis by posters who half-remember it with key details different each time

I assure you from a quick check of his twitter account he's putting it all to good productive use by endlessly arguing against trans rights with an endless rotating cast of people who aren't yet familiar with his posting and thus think he might be reachable through reasoned argument

Pissflaps is JKR confirmed?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
progress in coming up with a Pretentiousness Score that measures the average word length of users has been delayed by the number of posts that are just, like, "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" or "ahahahahahhahahahahahahhaaahha", or my personal favourite, ":reallybigironiccatthatkeepsgrowinguntilyourmonitorexplodesshoweringyourfaceinglass:". you'll be unsurprised to find out that despite not having figured out how to correct for this Ronya is still in the top 10

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I'm enjoying the amount of empirical shade being thrown around at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1281554754238283778?s=20