Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

bowmore posted:

when have we not culture war’d

In our response to the pandemic so far, compared to basket cases like the US or UK

edit - I may be proven wrong but I genuinely do think Melbourne will be more or less OK with masks whereas if this had happened in Perth or Queensland, maybe not

Sulla Faex posted:

On paper, Australia would be in a very good position to eliminate COVID entirely. Small population, geographically distant from neighbours, water borders, strong and well-funded border force that already controls for foreign biomass etc, high urban/low rural population with no real extremes of urban density (i.e. wherever there are significant numbers of people, there's already infrastructure to deal with them, but no real slums), very wealthy, high education population, generally good infrastructure (and the money to support/expand it), a legal system that allows for extraordinary government responses, and a whole bunch of other factors that would help control something like this.

In reality, though, Australia is full of Australians and governed by Australian politicians, which means good loving luck, prepare to drown in half an inch of water on a sunny day 20km inland

It's really loving classic that what appears to have finally brought us undone is privatisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

You reckon Australians will accept mask wearing, or will we go down the American culture war route because of fragile masculinity/association with Asians?

Our conservative thought leaders just import poo poo from America these days so they can't wait for mandatory mask wearing so they can whip people into a frenzy about it

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think melbourne will accept masks, mostly

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

bowmore posted:

I do agree with you tho Sulla

trap sprung, welcome to the Bad Poster Zone

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I wonder if all those heroes stanning for a war with china and indonesia and whicbever other dog whistle obsession are ever going to realise that signing up for a war is going to require a little more discomfort than wearing a mask when you do your shopping, which is already apparently an unacceptable facet of total war

Probably everyone just assumes they'd naturally be a remote drone operator or a WFH officer that orders pressganged asylum seekers into battle via slack from the comfort of their lounge room sofa

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

realbez posted:

I think melbourne will accept masks, mostly

I'm wearing a mask from now on in public, which is basically the weekly shop at this point. I see a fair few people wearing them in the posh inner east of Melbourne where I live.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
just sell wearing masks as being like Are Folk Hero Ned Kelly's

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

print masks with the southern cross on them and tell them it's the latest initiative from the KKK

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I mean even in America 65% of the population are wearing masks. We don’t wear them because the government hasn’t pushed it. Again this thread trips over its dick to try and prove something that doesn’t happen.

I mean look at the threads at the start of the first lockdown. “We will definitely have double cases every 2-3 days. This isn’t enough.” “No one is distancing, gently caress this country!”

Yet every state has either completely eradicated it or came really close before some horny security guard came (lol) into it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Sulla Faex posted:

IANAI (i am not an immunologist) but isn't the 'common cold' a large number of closely associated but distinct viruses and each time we get one, we get T-cells and antibodies for it, so we generally never catch that one again, but there are just so many that easily enough mutate that we'll never be able to build up immunities (or vaccinations) to cover even a chunk of the spread.. the flu vaccine is just like 2-5 of the most widespread/probable viruses that season, right?

Whereas covid I thought was supposed to have a low chance of mutating due to it being a corona virus, so once you get T-cells for it, they should be good for however long they last?

I've kind of stopped following covid the past couple months though so I'm not sure. I have read that news talking about "antibodies disappearing after several weeks" is about as useful as saying "your computer might be broadcasting an IP address" though

Some of the viruses that are 'common colds' are coronaviruses, and some aren't. The studies that found antibodies only last a few months does suggest immunity might only last that long, though it's not definite or anything and more research needs to be done of course. I've seen scientists compare that stat to SARS, which Covid is the most closely related to, and had antibodies last for at least a year, so it's not a great sign.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

I'm wearing a mask from now on in public, which is basically the weekly shop at this point. I see a fair few people wearing them in the posh inner east of Melbourne where I live.

I had to go to Woolies today in the posh inner south-east to pick up an order because online delivery is hosed, and the only people I saw wearing them were elderly, Asian, or a handful of supermarket staff. (Yes I was wearing one.) It was maybe 1 in every 50 people but honestly that's better than it was in March/April.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

teacup posted:

I mean even in America 65% of the population are wearing masks. We don’t wear them because the government hasn’t pushed it. Again this thread trips over its dick to try and prove something that doesn’t happen.

I mean look at the threads at the start of the first lockdown. “We will definitely have double cases every 2-3 days. This isn’t enough.” “No one is distancing, gently caress this country!”

Yet every state has either completely eradicated it or came really close before some horny security guard came (lol) into it.

I don't think I agree with this. Numbers don't ever speak for themselves, and my impression is that the Australian federal (as well as some states) response has been aimed at answering the question "what is the bare minimum we can do to pretend like we're in control and avoid political backlash if things go pear shaped". You can be lucky or unlucky within that, and someone winning the lottery doesn't make playing it a sound financial strategy

You can see the result of this kind of thinking in Sweden -- their fatality rate is disproportionately high and they haven't really seen any economic gains to justify it

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Sulla Faex posted:

I don't think I agree with this. Numbers don't ever speak for themselves, and my impression is that the Australian federal (as well as some states) response has been aimed at answering the question "what is the bare minimum we can do to pretend like we're in control and avoid political backlash if things go pear shaped". You can be lucky or unlucky within that, and someone winning the lottery doesn't make playing it a sound financial strategy

You can see the result of this kind of thinking in Sweden -- their fatality rate is disproportionately high and they haven't really seen any economic gains to justify it

I’m just saying a lot of people in this thread have said their anecdotal observations are that no one is doing the right thing, the figures absolutely do not back this up. We are one of the furthest examples from Sweden so I’m really not sure why you bring this up. It further proves my point.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

hambeet posted:

you mean just evolving towards being something not as damaging?

Yes, but also everyone will eventually have residual immunity from being infected in childhood that might not prevent repeat infections later in life but will reduce their severity

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sulla Faex posted:

I wonder if all those heroes stanning for a war with china and indonesia and whicbever other dog whistle obsession are ever going to realise that signing up for a war is going to require a little more discomfort than wearing a mask when you do your shopping, which is already apparently an unacceptable facet of total war

Probably everyone just assumes they'd naturally be a remote drone operator or a WFH officer that orders pressganged asylum seekers into battle via slack from the comfort of their lounge room sofa

Lots of people probably think that war is just something we do to non-white countries.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

teacup posted:

I’m just saying a lot of people in this thread have said their anecdotal observations are that no one is doing the right thing, the figures absolutely do not back this up. We are one of the furthest examples from Sweden so I’m really not sure why you bring this up. It further proves my point.

Hi, Anecdote here. I went to a nursing home today for my job. A resident there needed to see her solicitor but the solicitor hadn't had his flu jab, so they met just outside the door to get around this.

If we had any level of community transition where I live, we would be 100% hosed.

Also, get your loving flu shots.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
(From today)

https://twitter.com/GregHuntMP/status/1281509175118516225?s=20

Low quality masks put on by amateurs (ie the common situation) aren't going to do much to stop you getting the disease but if you're a plague carrier you'll infect fewer people.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sulla Faex posted:

trap sprung, welcome to the Bad Poster Zone
but Sulla, you were merely shaped by the bad poster zone, I was born here

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

(From today)

https://twitter.com/GregHuntMP/status/1281509175118516225?s=20

Low quality masks put on by amateurs (ie the common situation) aren't going to do much to stop you getting the disease but if you're a plague carrier you'll infect fewer people.

Which is why it’s important to encourage general use given the whole asymptomatic/presymptomatic transmission thing

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

teacup posted:

I'm saying that the figures don't speak for themselves - Sweden went for a similar soft approach that didn't work out for them, which is the point of the comparison. Saying that Australia's numbers are good so the Australian strategy was therefore correct, well-educated or scientifically sound, could also be used to defend russian roulette -- 5 times out of 6, nothing happens. And so those 5 people will point at their unexploded head and say there's nothing wrong with playing this sort of game

That's an extreme analogy and I'm also not asking you to provide more evidence to defend your position than I'm willing to provide, but I'm trying to illustrate my point which was that just because the numbers looked good for a while, doesn't mean it was the safe or smart thing to do. Maybe in years to come it will turn out that Australia has a particular configuration of contexts that makes it especially resilient to these sorts of epidemics, but to the best of my knowledge we didn't have and still don't have that kind of information available to inform our decisions. America also has followed this style of reaction and that absolutely hasn't worked out for them.. Australia has a number of things going for it but the two key parts of the response that I'm aware of have been closing the airports early (prompted by other countries and a lot of travellers cancelling trips anyway, and weakened by things like the Ruby Princess) and doing extensive testing of symptomatic cases or people with direct contact to international hotspots (correct me if I'm wrong here, it's hard to keep the different countries and states and timeframes in order). Which, even since the early days, we've known has been an inaccurate way to describe the spread of this virus

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Hang on, where are the studies showing that homemade masks are ineffective regarding spread? Last I heard was that, second to not going out at all, it's the best thing you can do personally to minimise spread. Even the cotton dust masks were supposed to be significantly helpful at reducing spread

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Sulla Faex posted:

Hang on, where are the studies showing that homemade masks are ineffective regarding spread? Last I heard was that, second to not going out at all, it's the best thing you can do personally to minimise spread. Even the cotton dust masks were supposed to be significantly helpful at reducing spread

The post was specifically in reference to how improvised masks / good masks not warn correctly will not prevent the wearer from contracting the virus which is true. The point of wearing masks is to combat Covid19's one weird trick that it is contagious before onset of symptoms by protecting others from pre/asymptomatic carriers if those cases are wearing masks because everyone wears masks. The quality of the mask is likely fairly irrelevant relative to the importance of a high percentage of people wearing some mask even while feeling healthy.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Sulla Faex posted:

I'm saying that the figures don't speak for themselves - Sweden went for a similar soft approach that didn't work out for them, which is the point of the comparison. Saying that Australia's numbers are good so the Australian strategy was therefore correct, well-educated or scientifically sound, could also be used to defend russian roulette -- 5 times out of 6, nothing happens. And so those 5 people will point at their unexploded head and say there's nothing wrong with playing this sort of game

That's an extreme analogy and I'm also not asking you to provide more evidence to defend your position than I'm willing to provide, but I'm trying to illustrate my point which was that just because the numbers looked good for a while, doesn't mean it was the safe or smart thing to do. Maybe in years to come it will turn out that Australia has a particular configuration of contexts that makes it especially resilient to these sorts of epidemics, but to the best of my knowledge we didn't have and still don't have that kind of information available to inform our decisions. America also has followed this style of reaction and that absolutely hasn't worked out for them.. Australia has a number of things going for it but the two key parts of the response that I'm aware of have been closing the airports early (prompted by other countries and a lot of travellers cancelling trips anyway, and weakened by things like the Ruby Princess) and doing extensive testing of symptomatic cases or people with direct contact to international hotspots (correct me if I'm wrong here, it's hard to keep the different countries and states and timeframes in order). Which, even since the early days, we've known has been an inaccurate way to describe the spread of this virus

Fair enough. I think neither of us can definitely say (not are you and I am not trying to so sorry if I came off this way) right now due to lack of evidence (which really we will only get with hindsight). I do still think you’re potentially pre-emptively selling it short so far. It’s worked in various states that have all locked down separately.

I guess my main point is more this anecdotal stuff is dumb and I think that whole your point is valid- it’s too early to tell whether it’s a fluke or not (I still argue that Australians actually just got behind the plan and it worked but still) but it’s also too early and a bit silly to immediately decry it as not going to work either. We can only go off what we have in front of us. And argue or not the numbers went down last time aagain your example of Sweden- they just ignored it totally. This isn’t that. Russian roulette can’t really stretch too many metaphors but if we are sitting at a table with almost any other western nation on earth we are one of the few ones who didn’t blow their brains out, and we at least had a strategy when pulling the trigger.

In any case I do think one spanner in the works is it’s fairly clear this level of community spread did not exist in NSW before which is scary. I hope we can lock it down.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Why social distance? All the plague ridden people are safely contained in The Bad State. Get back to work, leaners.

I'm in The Bad State :shrug:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Agreed. The thing that pisses me off is not that it's hit Australia so weakly, that's good news, but that in this response I see the same social drive behind the dismissal of climate change and the rejection of ecological, social, and economic responsibility. Australia is an incredibly lucky country and I believe this luck has engendered a laissez-faire/head in the sand approach to risk or criticism. But I'm also coming from a background where I believe the only way to move towards an adequately responsible approach involves essentially a revolution, so my goalposts are probably so far in the distance that it's not fair to avoid mentioning them

For me it feels less like "phew, lucky we didn't get hit by that truck" and more like "holy poo poo why are we playing in the middle of a freeway"

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 10, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

matthew guy if he traded the lobster dinners for bucket bongs and ice cream

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Sulla Faex posted:

For me it feels less like "phew, lucky we didn't get hit by that truck" and more like "holy poo poo why are we playing in the middle of a freeway"

because playing in suburban streets is boring

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

For the person (people) holding up the BBC as a bastion of reporting I’m afraid I have to tell you those days are over.
Everything that a right wing government is doing to the ABC here has happened to the BBC in the UK already. Decades of Tory rule have done that. Key editorial roles at the BBC have been staffed by right wingers and the political coverage especially is less ‘non-biased’ and ‘impartial’ and more in the ‘both sides’ and ‘just asking questions’ territory now.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/chrisreason7/status/1281463305513480192?s=21

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

edit - I may be proven wrong but I genuinely do think Melbourne will be more or less OK with masks whereas if this had happened in Perth or Queensland, maybe not

during the lockdown, i saw a lot of people wearing masks

i still see some old folks wearing masks

one of the west australian characteristics of juche is wearing masks

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

I am a-okay with us all colloquially calling COVID-19 the "Melbourne Virus" from here on out, a++

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just went out tonight to grab some booze, and other than the the person at the register I was the only one with a mask that I saw. If the numbers keep rising this quick I give it two-three days till most people are I would say, particularly as this sort of thing snowballs, with not many people wanting to be first, but happy to when they see others doing it.

Although the rise today did seem to be because they double the amount of tests they did... so if it just stays at this level I dunno, It may not just catch on in anyway.

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Mattjpwns posted:

I am a-okay with us all colloquially calling COVID-19 the "Melbourne Virus" from here on out, a++

Only if Trump uses this instead of China Virus too. There’s a Melbourne in Florida so it could work.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
My interstate friends are sending me pitying messages and it's making me feel ten times worse lmao

Additionally, lol at them for thinking it won't hit them in NSW and ACT within the month.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I got a message saying my son's test results are ready.....and I need to call my doctor to find out the results. Tomorrow. Does he have it? Who knows!

What's weird is that last time we did the test the initial text message sent said we were clear..so maybe this means he does have it? My results aren't done yet either. Also, my cough is getting worse, but his is better.

In the mean time, here's how 2020 is going so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNf5dZAvF4I

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 10, 2020

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Helith posted:

For the person (people) holding up the BBC as a bastion of reporting I’m afraid I have to tell you those days are over.
Everything that a right wing government is doing to the ABC here has happened to the BBC in the UK already. Decades of Tory rule have done that. Key editorial roles at the BBC have been staffed by right wingers and the political coverage especially is less ‘non-biased’ and ‘impartial’ and more in the ‘both sides’ and ‘just asking questions’ territory now.

The BBC is a state broadcaster and therefore has a mandate to be impartial, and if it demonstrates a bias it's a bias towards the status quo. This has always been the case and anyone who thinks it's a result of "decades of Tory rule" (Labour was in power for half of the last 30 years) is fooling themslves.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Apart from the workers I was the only one wearing a mask in the St Kilda Aldi this evening.

I don't know if I'm just being hyper aware but people seemed just way less considerate too - lots of shuffling up close to look at shelves etc.

I really hope we can all band together a bit, because between Collingwood (where I work) and St Kilda it was pretty business as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

A few weeks out from my business (sydney) finally being able to resume and it looks like the rone coming back for seconds. Beginning to think I might have to change industries. Not super confident the Libs would keep Jobkeeper thru a second wave.