Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Makes sense Steam's algorithm thinks people who play Warband and Bannerlord are virgins who would latch onto any product offering to help then get their peckers touched.

Now, as I was saying, the Berlin interpretation-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I remember SA was like crazy about mount and blade. In 2010.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

pentyne posted:

Go home algorithm, you're drunk.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

OutOfPrint posted:

Makes sense Steam's algorithm thinks people who play Warband and Bannerlord are virgins who would latch onto any product offering to help then get their peckers touched.

Now, as I was saying, the Berlin interpretation-

are you implying that people who care about the berlin interpretation are virgins?!!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Super Seducer is a parody series, right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Jamfrost posted:

I'm pretty sure the idea is Parody.....Unless??

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Not really a con, more of an oddity: I wonder if there's something in the recommendation algorithm that intentionally avoids games from the same series to avoid redundancy? I already played five other Atelier games and these are the ones that appear to me in the game's page

which is still correct, but weirdly so.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

You be the judge. Here's the website of the dude in the trailer.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Jamfrost posted:

The first one was intended as serious, but it was received as comedy. The sequels seem to lean increasingly heavily into the adopted market for the game.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

I don't recommend people visit that website. Unless you want a bigger wiener.

K8.0 posted:

The first one was intended as serious, but it was received as comedy. The sequels seem to lean increasingly heavily into the adopted market for the game.

Adapt and make money, I suppose.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Glare Seethe posted:

This is so hideous and awful and inefficient, I hate it so much.

I am loving this game, though, and I enjoy being bad at Zachtronics games. Thanks again to Cream-of-Plenty for the key. I didn't end up buying anything during the sale but I think Opus Magnum will be enough for a good while.

Oh, is it Opus Magnum gif time again?

In no particular order:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Fanatical has Persona 4 Golden for sale at 18% off ($16.39) if you're looking to pick it up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Metro 2033 is a loving blast and nowhere near what I expected from all the marketing and general chat.

It's basically a mix of survival horror against monsters and stealth based FPS against humans. You can conceivably stealth your way through every human encampment without killing a single person. They even have radiant(?) interactions where while sneaking you find a group you can't get past, and they'll end up starting a conversation and chat, at the end of which they break off in different directions or can be snuck past. The quick-save feature is very rewarding to a stealth based approach, as it will often quick-save as you travel through the enemy bases if they haven't detected you or sounded the alarm.

For example, there's 2 NPCs near a tunnel, and when you approach they start chatting and one of them says he's sick and then runs off screaming for the toilet. You can stealth past the remaining guard effortlessly.

I'm having some game issues, for some reason the left stick movement will drift somewhat after releasing. Zooming in with a gun halts it but you get this weird lilt from the POV into the last L-stick direction movement. I've had it randomly crash 2x so far.

The game is more alive and engaging then most similar action-FPS games I've played. You get tons of lore and story just from eavesdropping on NPC conversations including the above mentioned enemies. All the areas are pretty limited and you aren't really able to explore too much but it's a pretty tight narrative so far. There's a lot of detail and context missing, and it kind of jumps around filling in plot details at the loading screen with the VA infodump.

There's some invisible morality system that rewards exploration and good deeds that contribute to which ending you get. The only real obvious thing so far is when I turned down a reward for saving a kid. I'm not really too concerned since Metro Last Light is going to assume you get ending A or whatever so even if you get B in 2033 the sequel won't concern itself with it.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

If my only experience with JRPGs is Final Fantasy would I enjoy it?

Mainly like good stories.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

err posted:

If my only experience with JRPGs is Final Fantasy would I enjoy it?

Mainly like good stories.

Yeah, probably.

It's pretty different, but it definitely has a good story. Expect a lot more talking and a slower start than most Final Fantasies, it takes a long time to open up. And even then, you'll be doing a lot of stuff around extended sidequests where you befriend characters and work on building up the protagonist's non-battle skills. Like studying so you can pass midterms and whatnot.

It kind of alternates between murder mystery, anime slice of life, and old-fashioned dungeon crawling with turn-based battles.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Key differences in term of story progression for Persona vs Final Fantasy:

Persona 4 (and 3 and 5) operate on a "finish this dungeon by this date" rule, after which major story events will happen. The date is always very lenient and the game will always warn you when it's coming up.

In between, you can dive into dungeons or do social links. Social links are basically slice of life stories where you hang out with someone, which will in turn power your personas and, if they're a party member, improve their skills as well.

Thus, when it comes to story, it goes something like:

Major plot beats -> hang out with friends -> dungeon diving -> repeat

or

If you are looking for high budget crazy cinematics, there's few in the game, but it still has some anime cutscenes.

So if you're going into it for the story, there's plenty of story here, it's just paced a fair bit differently.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

Artelier posted:

or

Are you typoing something, or did you just use "or" to describe 2 exactly same situation? I've just lost multiple minutes of my life trying to find the differences.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

srulz posted:

Are you typoing something, or did you just use "or" to describe 2 exactly same situation? I've just lost multiple minutes of my life trying to find the differences.
I assume "hang out with friends" and "dungeon diving" should be reversed in the second one.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Bastard Bonds is good stuff, least a couple hours in. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it has some sort of HQ management system and that you can create custom characters that then might be found as recruitables within the game. I'm a little worried about lovely builds and accidentally gimping (heh) myself but so far, I'm really digging it. I only wish the character creator had a few more colors to choose from.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jamfrost posted:

The first one was an honest-to-god PUA simulator but once everybody on the internet started making fun of it the guy quickly turned around a sequel to be "in on the joke."

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Glare Seethe posted:

This is so hideous and awful and inefficient, I hate it so much.

Improved this slightly, I guess? It's slower but cheaper and less ugly. I'm really bad at making things that multi-task, it's usually one phase at a time so everything goes really slowly.

Do we have a Zachtronics thread? I doubt each game on its own needs a thread but a generalized one for all things Zach-like could be useful, maybe. At the very least as a place to dump these gifs.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm wondering if I bought Battle Brothers when I meant to buy Bastard Bonds, not sure. All I really know is that I still haven't booted it up because of what was posted about the creator.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Glare Seethe posted:

Do we have a Zachtronics thread? I doubt each game on its own needs a thread but a generalized one for all things Zach-like could be useful, maybe. At the very least as a place to dump these gifs.

You should make one.

There used to be one for Opus Magnum, but it's been archived since.

Currently, there's one for Molek-Syntez, but it's barely got any posts.

A general Zachtronics thread would be a better idea.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah I've hopped in every Zach thread and then they've died, but it's the sort of games I'll pick up again. if no one makes one I'll fix one up after work.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah I've hopped in every Zach thread and then they've died, but it's the sort of games I'll pick up again. if no one makes one I'll fix one up after work.

:thunk:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Black Griffon posted:

I'm wondering if I bought Battle Brothers when I meant to buy Bastard Bonds, not sure. All I really know is that I still haven't booted it up because of what was posted about the creator.

Give it a go and find out if you can play it without thinking about the writer's awfulness, or if you need to refund it. I personally love it but cannot knock anyone who's uncomfortable playing it. I had a similar (kind of!!) experience playing Prison Architect where the first time I did, its subject matter was too gross for me and I had to refund it. I got it again much later on and could handle it and really enjoyed it.

It's a different situation tho because PA wasn't milkshake ducked, and Battle Brothers' writer is a chud and probably everyone else on that team. Either way you know your tolerances better than I do. Take care of yourself.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, Prison Architect is way more of an Stanford experiment where I'm pretty sure the devs know what they're exposing people to, and personally I'm fascinated by how people react to it (I'm too good at compartmentalising, I think), but I'll probs give BB a try, thanks.

oh, oh no,

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

The first one was an honest-to-god PUA simulator but once everybody on the internet started making fun of it the guy quickly turned around a sequel to be "in on the joke."

the first one was honest? :psypop:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

pentyne posted:

I'm having some game issues, for some reason the left stick movement will drift somewhat after releasing. Zooming in with a gun halts it but you get this weird lilt from the POV into the last L-stick direction movement. I've had it randomly crash 2x so far.

That sounds like stick drift and I had it to in metro.
Try this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=925539727

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Ciaphas posted:

the first one was honest? :psypop:

it's always had a tongue in cheek element to it he just exaggerated it in the sequels.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Glare Seethe posted:

Improved this slightly, I guess? It's slower but cheaper and less ugly. I'm really bad at making things that multi-task, it's usually one phase at a time so everything goes really slowly.

Here's my Life-Sensing Potion. 77 cycles :smugdog:

That was my solution from last year, though. Bit of tweaking, and it's down to 60 cycles.

Iterate, Improve. I forgot how fun this is.

And for something different:

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 10, 2020

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Ambaire posted:

That was my solution from last year, though. Bit of tweaking, and it's down to 60 cycles.

I got you beat on Area and Cost. :colbert:

Ah but seriously, yeah, you can see a clear difference in how much downtime there is in mine while half the machine waits for the other half to do its thing, whereas in yours all the mechanisms are constantly busy. I'll get there some day, maybe.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The new Bloodstained Circle of Moon game has very bad stuttering issues and needs a patch. Might want to hold off buying it for now.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Glare Seethe posted:

I got you beat on Area and Cost. :colbert:

Ah but seriously, yeah, you can see a clear difference in how much downtime there is in mine while half the machine waits for the other half to do its thing, whereas in yours all the mechanisms are constantly busy. I'll get there some day, maybe.

Nah, there's still some downtime. For optimizing cycle count, the goal is to have the inputs consumed as fast as possible. See the climbing rope fiber one I edited into my post. The extra movement right and then back is to complete the puzzle 4 cycles earlier than would otherwise be possible.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh god y'all are gonna make me look up whatever the latest Zachtronics game is and buy it, or play Opus Magnum too, huh :mad:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.ign.com/articles/far-cry-6-leak-release-date-giancarlo-esposito-ps5-free-upgrade?amp=1

Far Cry 6 is leaking ahead of the presentation. Here’s a hint, it’s more of the same. But it does star Giancarlo Esposito as the bad guy so that’s cool.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Ubisoft, more like Leaksoft. Heh.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Cartoon Man posted:

Far Cry 6 is leaking ahead of the presentation. Here’s a hint, it’s more of the same. But it does star Giancarlo Esposito as the bad guy so that’s cool.

Far Cry: Mandalorian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hopefully whoever came up with the idea that NPCs should be able to shoot you out of the air, kidnap you, and subject you to dumb ball-tripping story missions in 5 was themselves shot out of the air and kidnapped