Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I do, but I am still happy to hear any title(s) that you want to suggest.

I liked Russka and I think it’s one of maybe two of Edward Rutherfurd’s stuff that still has energy in the formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

Red Storm Rising is a pretty great book too. Really captures the 80's Cold War flashpoint vibe.

Clancy is generally categorized under "chud" and most books/games/movies/shows with his name on them are pretty bad, but his early stuff is fun to read if you're into late 20th century military history.

Sarern posted:

My one weird trick for Clancy is to stop after Clear and Present Danger. That's still the one I like best from early Clancy, I feel it did the best job at the things he was good at

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The general rule of thumb in my opinion at least is that Clancy was good when he was writing during the Cold War. Once the Soviet Union fell things get real iffy

I took Rainbow Six with me on a post-high school trip to Europe and I remember thoroughly enjoying it, though I vaguely recall the storyline might not hold up all these years later.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I took Rainbow Six with me on a post-high school trip to Europe and I remember thoroughly enjoying it, though I vaguely recall the storyline might not hold up all these years later.

Rainbow Six is off-the-rails insane and I still have a copy somewhere for that reason. I think that is the most recent Clancy book I actually kept.

Maybe it seemed more plausible at the time, but the antagonists are a conspiracy of radical environmentalists trying to kill almost all of humankind with an engineered virus. It's a 90s conservative's fever dream.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it’s delightful.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Sarern posted:

Rainbow Six is off-the-rails insane and I still have a copy somewhere for that reason. I think that is the most recent Clancy book I actually kept.

Maybe it seemed more plausible at the time, but the antagonists are a conspiracy of radical environmentalists trying to kill almost all of humankind with an engineered virus. It's a 90s conservative's fever dream.

A screwup at a Chinese lab releasing a seriously annoying but not species ending virus wouldn't have provided compelling shoot-people-in-the-face action.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Sarern posted:

Its pretty lol, yeah. Best part of the novel was Popov playing everyone and then getting away free.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
recommend me a good book to read on a camping trip. maybe some fantasy or something else that would be enhanced by reading it outdoors

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

NotNut posted:

recommend me a good book to read on a camping trip. maybe some fantasy or something else that would be enhanced by reading it outdoors

The Ritual by Adam Neville, but just the first half.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

NotNut posted:

Deliverance :trollface:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

NotNut posted:

Naomi Novik is probably good for this. Uprooted, maybe.

Semiosis will make you suspicious of plants, which is always good.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

NotNut posted:

Its gotta be Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer!!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

buffalo all day posted:

Its gotta be Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer!!

This was my first impulse as well but it’s not fantasy.

I think you should read it tho.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

NotNut posted:

To Build a Fire

best on a winter camping trip

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

NotNut posted:

Good nature or travel writer about the area you're in. Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, maybe.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

NotNut posted:

The Songs of Trees by David George Haskell (nonfiction)

Buzz, Sting, Bite by Anne Sverdrup-Thygeson (all about insects :) )

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
a few of these suggestions are a little too epic. let me add the stipulations that if it's fiction it needs to have a happy or neutral ending and be popular or at least popular at the time it was written

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

NotNut posted:

a few of these suggestions are a little too epic. let me add the stipulations that if it's fiction it needs to have a happy or neutral ending and be popular or at least popular at the time it was written

2 more reasons to pick Annihilation!

He literally was inspired to write it by going on long outdoor hikes in NW Florida.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Any good books on the history of Brazil?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

NotNut posted:

Drew Magary's The Hike or Jordan Fisher Smith's Nature Noir, although I will say that neither is totally uplifting.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

tuyop posted:

I liked Russka and I think it’s one of maybe two of Edward Rutherfurd’s stuff that still has energy in the formula.

On the to-read itinerary, thanks! Would you recommend any other of Rutherford's books in general? I remember enjoying New York, when I read it several years ago, but I haven't tried to tackle any of his other works since then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IBroughttheFunk posted:

On the to-read itinerary, thanks! Would you recommend any other of Rutherford's books in general? I remember enjoying New York, when I read it several years ago, but I haven't tried to tackle any of his other works since then.

Sarum was also really good, but I bounced hard off of New York and London.

In the same vein, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is also good!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think there used to be a general mythology thread somewhere but I can’t find it.

I’m looking for recommendations on books of Celtic mythology stories and books of fairy tales. They don’t have to be real folk tales-if someone is writing brand new awesome fairy tales (Susannah Clarke) I would love to know about them. If there is like a Neil Gaiman’s ‘Norse Mythology’ but for Celtic stuff that would be awesome. I want stories that are good to read by themselves, not academic books about the mythology if that makes sense.

Thanks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think there used to be a general mythology thread somewhere but I can’t find it.

I’m looking for recommendations on books of Celtic mythology stories and books of fairy tales. They don’t have to be real folk tales-if someone is writing brand new awesome fairy tales (Susannah Clarke) I would love to know about them. If there is like a Neil Gaiman’s ‘Norse Mythology’ but for Celtic stuff that would be awesome. I want stories that are good to read by themselves, not academic books about the mythology if that makes sense.

Thanks!
For Celtic mythology, try the Mabinogion re-tellings by Evangeline Walton.

For new cool fairy tales, I'd suggest The Orphan's Tales by Catherynne Valente.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For Irish mythology, I don't think you can go wrong with Lady Gregory's Gods and Fighting Men and Cuchulain of Muirthemne.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

tuyop posted:

Sarum was also really good, but I bounced hard off of New York and London.

In the same vein, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is also good!

Thanks, will keep an eye out for Sarum! and very much agreed on Pillars of the Earth - I actually got around to it back in May and liked it. Although I'm still curiously hunting around for less Euro and American-centric historical nonfiction, I admit that I think I'm going to end up starting World Without End within the next few weeks.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

NotNut posted:

The Monkey Wrench Gang

:P

e. seriously how about Sometimes a Great Notion?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm trying to broaden my horizons. Give me good poets, from any age

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen posted:

Frederick Seidel
Langston Hughes
Les Fleurs du Mal by Charles Baudelaire
Sylvia Plath
Lawrence Ferlinghetti
Ariana Reines
John Ashbury

Get some Norton Anthologies. If you want a good non-Norton anthology of American poets, get The Voice That Is Great Within Us.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
You've got a Skimbleshanks .gif below your av and you're not going to recommend TS Eliot?

OP, read some TS Eliot and Emily Dickinson and ee cummings (and I'll second Hughes hard).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

funkybottoms posted:

You've got a Skimbleshanks .gif below your av and you're not going to recommend TS Eliot?

OP, read some TS Eliot and Emily Dickinson and ee cummings (and I'll second Hughes hard).

Yeah, these are good ones too. I just didn't want to name too many.

Ogden Nash is another favorite who's very funny.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Adelaide Crapsey.

e: Martialis :nws:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

everything Franchescanado mentioned plus Percy Bysshe Shelley, Frank O’Hara and T.S. Eliot

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Might wanna give Whitman a glimpse.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks!

Ciaran Carson's translation of The Tain is great and fun to read.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Stringent posted:

Might wanna give Whitman a glimpse.

And if you like Whitman, take a look at Fernando Pessoa!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

GorfZaplen posted:

Carmen Giménez Smith is so good.

Marilyn Dumont is a big deal in Canada.

In the vein of BLM, I think Donte Collins is pretty good.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

GorfZaplen posted:

Are you starting from scratch without having read much poetry or do you have some poets you like but want to see what else is out there?

FWIW most of the pretty recs you received are fine or whatever but poetry isn't just an acquired taste, it's an acquired language, and a lot of it is unbelievably boring (Eliot, Shelley etc) until you get enough of it under your belt to understand the stakes of what they were writing about. It's like listening to drink people argue about a sport you've never even seen, let alone played.

So, get an anthology, and make sure that it demonstrates that it knows about more non-white poets than Langston Hughes.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

tuyop posted:

In the vein of BLM, I think Donte Collins is pretty good.

In a similar vein, Reginald Dwayne Betts' collection Felon

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IBroughttheFunk posted:

In a similar vein, Reginald Dwayne Betts' collection Felon

Thanks for this, I’ve definitely neglected American male BIPOC poetry and this book looks incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

tuyop posted:

Thanks for this, I’ve definitely neglected American male BIPOC poetry and this book looks incredible.

Terrance Hayes,Lighthead