Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesis posted:

But seriously, it's been a year of job hunting nightmare. I wouldn't be angry if technical interviewers only asked about technical stuff then failed me (that way I at least know I need more studying to do), but saying they failed me because they didn't think I would fit in with them would make me so stressed and raged each time. Are other countries like that too?

I've interviewed in 6 countries on 2 continents. Fitting in well is very important no matter where you are, fewer companies and teams are willing to put up with "brilliant assholes" and this is a very good thing. If you left your previous job on a bad note and you get rejected because they get the impression you won't fit in, it's time to look in a mirror and reflect on how you can make a better impression during interviews.

edit: I work as an network engineer and my current company had 3 rounds of interviews and none of them were technical in the trivia quiz sense. Just to illustrate on how important a good fit is.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Nah, I did get accepted just now and am on wage negotiation, but I was just wondering if it's a thing or not. I thought 'fitting in' would only be considered during next phase of interview and not during technical interviews, but apparently I've been wrong.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Aesis posted:

Nah, I did get accepted just now and am on wage negotiation, but I was just wondering if it's a thing or not. I thought 'fitting in' would only be considered during next phase of interview and not during technical interviews, but apparently I've been wrong.

At least where I work, if you've made it to the first interview stage we at least think you have enough technical knowledge to do the job and at the point fitting in becomes more important. You could have all the technical knowledge in the world but if you don't fit in with the team you're not gonna work out very well so we want to know that before we get too far into the hiring process.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off today, trying to figure out faxing for a new location..

Unfortunately faxes are ingrained into the industry I am a part of. Vendors and employees alike expect to walk up to a physical machine, dial a number, and send a fax. This is not likely to change anytime soon.

I was hoping to not have any standard phone lines at a new location we are building.... Our first foray into VoIP only. I have been looking at various options for faxing over VoIP and it appears you have t.38 or faxing over g.711 (assuming your audio is perfect). I see some people swear by t.38 while others say its a nightmare.

Does anyone know of a MFP that supports the myriad of email to fax services directly? Most of these are basically send a email to faxnumber@faxservice.com. Or a machine that supports t.38 directly?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would advise either having analogue lines installed (whether the provider wants to deliver these lines over IP and then install their own hardware to present a POTS line to you is up to them, as long as it supports faxing), or using an MFP with integrated Internet faxing - don't try and do your own fax over SIP with an ATA or any of that stuff, it's a pain.

Services like eFax seem to all require you to send your 'fax' by emailing a phone number@emailaddress which isn't a great user experience - people will still walk up, tap fax, put a number in and then complain when it fails. There are integrated fax options but they seem to be specific to each MFP vendor rather than being a standard (as far as I've been able to tell) - e.g. https://www.ricoh.co.uk/products/software-apps/office-software/document-workflow/hosted-fax.html, https://www.xerox.co.uk/en-gb/office/software-solutions/ixware-online-fax-service.

I've seen something that alludes to HP devices being able to be configured with the ability to scan-to-email but present it as a fax, where they handle adding the domain on and to the user it uses the normal fax UI, but can't see any proof that it exists.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't put in fax machines or analog lines. Use a cloud faxing service and tell users they will need to scan and then email.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Services like eFax seem to all require you to send your 'fax' by emailing a phone number@emailaddress which isn't a great user experience - people will still walk up, tap fax, put a number in and then complain when it fails. There are integrated fax options but they seem to be specific to each MFP vendor rather than being a standard (as far as I've been able to tell) - e.g. https://www.ricoh.co.uk/products/software-apps/office-software/document-workflow/hosted-fax.html, https://www.xerox.co.uk/en-gb/office/software-solutions/ixware-online-fax-service.

I've seen something that alludes to HP devices being able to be configured with the ability to scan-to-email but present it as a fax, where they handle adding the domain on and to the user it uses the normal fax UI, but can't see any proof that it exists.

Yeah we already use SRFax for our POS/EDI system to be able to send faxes. It works in that way.. Send a email with attachment to number@srfax.com and it relays the attachment off to that number as a fax. It would be fantastic if there was a MFP/standalone machine that done this though.

We have some existing HP MFPs and I don't see this ability in their config anywhere :/

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Thanks Ants posted:

don't try and do your own fax over SIP with an ATA or any of that stuff, it's a pain.

This is very true.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't put in fax machines or analog lines. Use a cloud faxing service and tell users they will need to scan and then email.

Oh how I wish it was this easy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've worked at places and in industries where fax is still really important and the users are entitled little brats, and I have done it every time. Unless there's a really good technical reason it can't be done, IMO this is one of those times where IT needs to put their foot down and help the business change their workflow.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It is strange though because loads of MFPs allude to "internet fax" but I've never met anybody who knows what it is

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Aesis posted:

I've determined that the lead tech and I wouldn't get along during a technical interview. Or vice versa, it was kinda mutual.

As for fax machines, one advantage to bringing in a proper analog line is you get an emergency phone for power outages. I've set those up - and look into emergency lighting if you've got work areas with no natural light.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have exactly one department using efax. It works amazingly and everyone else should be using it. Fax machines are trash.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
My company swapped to an eFax provider... Thing (I'm hazy on details) from a "regular" fax number a few years ago. We have an incredible volume of faxes every day (North of 1000 pages/day) and I've never seen it hiccup badly.

We had a recent issue where we received over 10k pages a day for nearly a month straight and it scaled fantastically. Some people were sending upwards of 300+ pages, per fax, multiple times. Only the processing of what we received was backlogged, never the actual receipt. It was fantastic. We even use the same system to send faxes. Type a number, enter a template cover with ATTN: <whoever> and drop a pdf in, off it goes.

Even in businesses where you are required to have a fax (Healthcare, legal) there's basically no reason to have a POTS connected to a screech-machine processing real paper.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

guppy posted:

We have exactly one department using efax. It works amazingly and everyone else should be using it. Fax machines are trash.

I wholeheartedly agree. But I wish the rest of my industry believed it. (building materials sales, hardware stores, lumber yards)

We STILL have vendors that only work through fax. Orders, confirmations, etc... all go through fax. It's really great when an order goes back and forth a few times due to changes. Usually by the 4th-5th generation its barely readable. I like to imagine these companies have a room full of fax machines that employees sit in front of all day receiving and responding to faxes.

And they have been slow to change. It doesn't help that a lot of smaller businesses in this space are stuck in technology dark ages, so the vendors that supply and support them stay there as well.

Its amazing the amount of customers we still fax invoices to. Though we at least use a fax service for those.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

It is strange though because loads of MFPs allude to "internet fax" but I've never met anybody who knows what it is
This is the most baffling thing to me as well, I've never been able to understand why all of these machines can email but none of them seem to be able to support providing the fax user experience while actually emailing on the back end.

It should be so easy, but it isn't.

For those who still can't get rid of the stupid loving machines (or the stupid loving people who have refused to learn anything since 1993), we have had good luck with T.38 using Obihai ATAs through a T38Fax.com trunk. We run a basic Freeswitch server for them all to register to and to manage call routing, so far our most common problem has been people physically unplugging the adapters.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Exactly - most email-to-fax services are "send your fax as [pdf/tiff/whatever] to [number]@service.com and put your customer number in the subject" or something similar, so why can't I just have a bunch of variables to drop into a setup page and the MFP inserts them into a message for me, and then lies to a user that it's a fax.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anything faxed should also be in some sort of document management system. If it was written on or executed, it should be scanned into the system so there's a copy stored somewhere. If it's already digital, sending it from the computer saves quite a few steps. If it's a physical fax machine, that is not something a user can take with them when they are working remotely, like during a pandemic, or any other DR/BC scenario where the building is inaccessible.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

never mind

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weedle fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 11, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Weedle posted:

they laid off the thicc latina milf across the hall from me. this place sucks now

You actually go to the office? :psyduck:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wibla posted:

You actually go to the office? :psyduck:

yeah i work at a school and we have to get ready for when kids come back on august 18th like everything's normal and the a/c isn't going to be spewing covid air everywhere killing all our old teachers who haven't resigned yet. it's dope

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Weedle posted:

they laid off the thicc latina milf across the hall from me. this place sucks now

What the hell is this post?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It is pretty gross tbh

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you're right. it was poorly judged. sorry

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

mllaneza posted:

I've determined that the lead tech and I wouldn't get along during a technical interview. Or vice versa, it was kinda mutual.

mattfl posted:

At least where I work, if you've made it to the first interview stage we at least think you have enough technical knowledge to do the job and at the point fitting in becomes more important. You could have all the technical knowledge in the world but if you don't fit in with the team you're not gonna work out very well so we want to know that before we get too far into the hiring process.

I guess it really is different once you're in a team big enough. When I was an interviewer I only cared about whether candidates at least try to be hard working and responsible for themselves (knowledge wasn't what I was looking at), but then my team was small and I was getting tired of one person who would not take responsibility for his mess (which often caused mobile app to malfunction). Honestly, working in a team of 5 seemed to be a negative factor for me in most tech interviews, as the most asked question was 'have you co-operated with other devs?' and sadly I was lacking that.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Anything faxed should also be in some sort of document management system. If it was written on or executed, it should be scanned into the system so there's a copy stored somewhere. If it's already digital, sending it from the computer saves quite a few steps. If it's a physical fax machine, that is not something a user can take with them when they are working remotely, like during a pandemic, or any other DR/BC scenario where the building is inaccessible.

We all know what "should", but guy's working with manual tradespeople. I've got electricians in their 30s that still have little carbon copy invoice pads and don't have an email address.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sprechensiesexy posted:

edit: I work as an network engineer and my current company had 3 rounds of interviews and none of them were technical in the trivia quiz sense. Just to illustrate on how important a good fit is.

One scary thing is companies that only do one or the other type of interview. I've been hired at each.

Tech-only can be a warning that you will work with a bunch of sperg-lords.

Zero tech questions can mean nobody really knows how anything works. You can potentially end up with people who don't know anything and just bullshitted their way in.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I've interviewed in 6 countries on 2 continents. Fitting in well is very important no matter where you are, fewer companies and teams are willing to put up with "brilliant assholes" and this is a very good thing. If you left your previous job on a bad note and you get rejected because they get the impression you won't fit in, it's time to look in a mirror and reflect on how you can make a better impression during interviews.

Please keep in mind that "not fitting in" can also mean you are not a white bro.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I work for a fax provider, among other things, and I hate it when someone uses an actual fax machine with some lovely analog line that was installed in the 50's and will never be replaced and it just keeps cutting out and the system can't deal with it.

Anyway, there is imo no reason to use analog faxes in 2020. The product I work with can support a ton of different poo poo. You want to fax by email? Easy. FTP? Sure. Straight from your own poo poo-show homebrew system? We can probably accommodate that! Don't want to use our servers? Alright, we can deal with that by installing the product on your servers. Don't have analog lines in your server rooms? We can use a FoiP provider instead!

MFP's really aren't that hard for users but then we don't really install the MFP's as such. We can also use windows ip print thing (blanking on the actual name here) to print incoming faxes directly with no user interaction (until toner or paper runs out when we get a ticket that the fax number no longer works)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Zero tech questions can mean nobody really knows how anything works. You can potentially end up with people who don't know anything and just bullshitted their way in.

At smaller places it can also mean that people know what they don't know, which I take as a good sign. A small team is pretty likely to be hiring for skills that they don't have—I'd rather they not pull questions out of their rear end that none of them know how to actually evaluate the answer to anyway. Of course, it could also mean that they have a massive mess that no one knows how to fix and they're looking for someone they can dump it on.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jaded Burnout posted:

We all know what "should", but guy's working with manual tradespeople. I've got electricians in their 30s that still have little carbon copy invoice pads and don't have an email address.
Yup, small businesses in non-tech industries in particular love to just keep doing whatever they've been doing until absolutely forced to change.

Most of my customers are <25 employee shops and the only ones that are remotely good at keeping up with tech are the ones where the owner or someone close to them are interested in it themselves.

---

Sometimes I fantasize about someone managing to invent a fax worm that could spread itself all the contacts stored in the machine before permanently bricking it. Obviously such a thing would be technically impossible due to the wide variety of software and hardware architectures involved and the fact that older machines could possibly have no meaningful programmable computing capability at all, but what a wonderful day it would be if I woke up to the news that every single fax machine in the world had permanently been destroyed overnight.

Realistically the only way fax is going away is if it loses its grandfathered legal status where it's treated as being more secure and private than it actually is based on false technical assumptions. If the medical and legal industries in particular were required to hold faxes to the same standards as digital document exchanges that ancient trash would vanish almost overnight.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Literally the only two reliable communications media that I've found is shared across all tradespeople is phone calls and whatsapp.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

faxing is literally killing us

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

We commonly have contractors come in with their shopping list scribbled on scrap bits of 2x4 boards. I guess it's close enough to paper....

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

stevewm posted:

We commonly have contractors come in with their shopping list scribbled on scrap bits of 2x4 boards. I guess it's close enough to paper....

I have to-do lists and diagrams scribbled right on my walls, since they're going to get painted over anyway.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

stevewm posted:

My dad is one of those people. He just grabs whatever’s closest when he’s working on something, which 9 time in 10 is a carpenter’s pencil and scrap wood

E: I probably have the same gene, but 100% of the time the closest thing is my phone.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Fool posted:

My dad is one of those people. He just grabs whatever’s closest when he’s working on something, which 9 time in 10 is a carpenter’s pencil and scrap wood

E: I probably have the same gene, but 100% of the time the closest thing is my phone.

IMO the only way to work with this is to feed it better meals, that is to say I bought a bunch of cheap small-ish notepads and put one in each work bag with pencils and pens.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am so angry that I have to do a manual csr and cert installation today

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

Once after a long day of running the sawmill, my dad was trying to calculate the total board-feet we had put up. He was doing a running calculation on the thigh of his coveralls that ran so long he wound up having to take them off and continue on the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

I am so angry that I have to do a manual csr and cert installation today

Hahaha. I just got a reminder the I have a cert coming up where I have to email the vendor to get a csr from them and then forward them the cert so they can install it.

Why do we put up with this nonsense?