Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weird question.

I have a friend that accidentally logged in using his guest account and saved something. It nukes that guest account after you log out but is there anyway to get that save file back? I told him lol no but I figured I'd ask because I'm not 100% sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Weird question.

I have a friend that accidentally logged in using his guest account and saved something. It nukes that guest account after you log out but is there anyway to get that save file back? I told him lol no but I figured I'd ask because I'm not 100% sure.
If they're on a platter drive there's a chance of file recovery with whatever recovery apps exist, unless macOS does something like encrypted guest data. If they're on an Apple SSD they're screwed cause TRIM basically destroys that data when cleared out. I don't remember if third party/self upgraded SSDs have TRIM enabled without tweaks, but data might be recoverable on those, at least until their built in garbage collection cleans stuff up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

japtor posted:

If they're on a platter drive there's a chance of file recovery with whatever recovery apps exist, unless macOS does something like encrypted guest data. If they're on an Apple SSD they're screwed cause TRIM basically destroys that data when cleared out. I don't remember if third party/self upgraded SSDs have TRIM enabled without tweaks, but data might be recoverable on those, at least until their built in garbage collection cleans stuff up.

Yeah its a stock apple SSD and that is exactly what I figured thanks!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm/wiki/Installation-on-macOS

I found this today. I'm excited to try, maybe it will run well, maybe it won't.
EXWM can't use native OSX applications, but it seems a lot of the X11 are still availabe, for example I just $ brew install evince.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I think EXWM would be too much bloat. I didn't think the X11 PDF application I tested was quite as snappy as the native application. Cool idea but for osx, exwm seems just a novelty.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, Homebrew working just fine in Big Sur beta 2 (other than constant 'we don't support this OS' messages.)*

Everything is pretty stable, though I haven't installed any higher level hacks. Little Snitch needs to be rewritten for Big Sur..

HTML5 video smooth as butter, voice sync stays accurate.

Unlike Safari in, sigh, Mojave. Guess at Apple they give up on keeping old Ones in working order.

I figure it's about five or six betas away from final GM..

Edit: * as long as you install Xcode 12 beta 2 Command Line Tools

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 9, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone ever had/heard horror stories about using iCloud Disk? I pay for the 50gb a month anyway just because of iPhone photos, backups etc and was thinking of bumping it to the 200gb tier just to use as offsite backup for things I care a lot about. Don't really need or want a backup solution like BackBlaze/CrashPlan, just reliable file storage. I've never had issues personally, so this feels like a no brainer.

I'm presuming any folder I make on the root of the drive is going to be treated as just file storage and isn't going to try and sync anywhere etc.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone ever had/heard horror stories about using iCloud Disk? I pay for the 50gb a month anyway just because of iPhone photos, backups etc and was thinking of bumping it to the 200gb tier just to use as offsite backup for things I care a lot about. Don't really need or want a backup solution like BackBlaze/CrashPlan, just reliable file storage. I've never had issues personally, so this feels like a no brainer.

I'm presuming any folder I make on the root of the drive is going to be treated as just file storage and isn't going to try and sync anywhere etc.

I use it constantly with the 200GB plan across a ton of machines and it's never given me the slightest issue. Hell, I've been using it since it was MobileMe's iDisk. Sample size: 1.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

I use it constantly with the 200GB plan across a ton of machines and it's never given me the slightest issue. Hell, I've been using it since it was MobileMe's iDisk. Sample size: 1.

:same:

I've been using it for years and have never had an issue.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha yeah, I'm back from the MobileMe days too I just never really used the storage side of things beyond iOS backups. Cool, I'll dump a bunch of stuff on it and upgrade when the space runs low. Thanks!

It's a shame it can't be used for TimeMachine too which would then fulfill the offsite need of true backups, maybe in the future.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

MarcusSA posted:

:same:

I've been using it for years and have never had an issue.
Huh, for a while now I've had the idea that iCloud Drive was unreliable. I'd seen a few stories here over the last couple years about files not syncing or getting lost and so I'd refused to consider it for basic syncing across devices. Is it fine now? Were those stories here always outliers?

Violator
May 15, 2003

IAmKale posted:

Huh, for a while now I've had the idea that iCloud Drive was unreliable. I'd seen a few stories here over the last couple years about files not syncing or getting lost and so I'd refused to consider it for basic syncing across devices. Is it fine now? Were those stories here always outliers?

It's gotten better, but there's still no transparency on what it's doing or any controls to force it to do something. A file isn't on one of your devices? There's no logs that I'm aware of to see what it's doing or mechanisms to force a sync. I still use Dropbox because of that and for versioning. If an old version is synced on top of a new version or there is a sync conflict, I like the idea of being able to roll back to the correct version. iCloud is getting there and I've started moving some non-critical stuff into it, but it will be a slow transition for me to move everything over.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I tried Hey.com as an email replacement, but it's not sticking for me. I like some of their ideas for reinventing email, but I prefer the system UI with a sidebar over their cute web UI. A lot of what their service does (categorizing emails into buckets, reducing notifications, etc.) can be accomplished using bog standard rules, so I'm going to try to increase my usage of those. It would be nice if Mail.app had more hooks for adding rules, like "Create a rule for this sender..." directly in an email, and a larger rules management section outside of the app preferences panel. I'd imagine that will come in the next version since Hey will probably push all email apps into a more automated direction.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've been using the 50GB option for syncing photos and files between my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Air with zero issues whatsoever for years since Apple has massively improved iCloud. It's really good and I highly recommend it for seamless, simple cloud storage between Apple devices that just plain works.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I've been using the 50GB option for syncing photos and files between my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Air with zero issues whatsoever for years since Apple has massively improved iCloud. It's really good and I highly recommend it for seamless, simple cloud storage between Apple devices that just plain works.

Right now i'm using Backblaze to back up about 1tb of images. It looks like I can get a 2tb iCloud account for not much more, and i'm sort of thinking I should switch to that. Will iCloud make all 2tb of photos available on every device? What if each device doesn't have enough space? Does it automatically only load some files on each device?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

frogbs posted:

Right now i'm using Backblaze to back up about 1tb of images. It looks like I can get a 2tb iCloud account for not much more, and i'm sort of thinking I should switch to that. Will iCloud make all 2tb of photos available on every device? What if each device doesn't have enough space? Does it automatically only load some files on each device?

Yes, your photos will show up on all devices once they're synced. All photos are stored in the cloud when possible and not on your devices. Recent photos are cached on the device for quicker access, while older photos are downloaded from the cloud when viewed.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
It will also take forever to get that many photos all synced up in the photo library. It takes a few days with a new phone for me and I’ve only got 150gb worth. My new MacbookAir took a while as well but it was downloading them all.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Does anyone know why my dock auto hide/show just randomly stops functioning every so often? I need to mouse over and click in the area where it lives to get it to show up. I'm running Mojave.

Usually resolves itself after some reboots, but lately it's been persisting.

Actually noticing now that when I mouse over menu options they don't automatically highlight as the mouse scrolls over them. Not sure if this is always the case when this happens.

Edit: it's something to do with my mouse (MxMaster). I uninstalled drivers, resintalled them, rebooted the mac, turned the mouse off and on, and then turned it off and on a 3rd time and now things work ???

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 12, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I asked in the hardware thread but didn’t get any replies so I’ll throw it out here too.

Not sure if this is more of a hardware question or software question but I’ll ask here because it’s hardware related.

I just upgraded a mid 2009 17 inch MBP with an SSD and 8 gigs of ram (the Max). The machine is already running El Capitan (thank god) but besides say security patches is there any good reason to upgrade to high Sierra?

The machine is for a 10 year old mostly doing what kids do so I’m not so sure it would be worth it if it’s not going to make the machine a little more snappy.

Obviously just upgrading the memory and adding the SSD made things night and day.

I do love that 17 inch screen though. That’s some sexy poo poo.

Thanks for any help!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Given what kids get up to online, I'd say the security patches are worth it.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
My Mac is constantly doing double clicks or drags when I've not inputted one - is there an app to customize your mouse more than the built in system panel that doesn't suck?

I'm using a Microsoft sculpt mouse which is good on every other machine I've ever used it on.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
mailmate is really good hot drat i want this onmy phone

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

the_lion posted:

My Mac is constantly doing double clicks or drags when I've not inputted one - is there an app to customize your mouse more than the built in system panel that doesn't suck?

I'm using a Microsoft sculpt mouse which is good on every other machine I've ever used it on.

Does the mouse come with an app? Does MS make a downloadable one for its configurable mice the way Logitech does?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

the_lion posted:

Are you currently using it with other computers, and if not, how old is it?

I've had the microswitches in an old mouse's button start failing and generating accidental double clicks and other weirdness.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I did a bit of research on my mouse problem, anyone using USB overdrive or oversteer for mac? Both seem to do the same thing, and USB overdrive seems to have been out for quite a while.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Does the mouse come with an app? Does MS make a downloadable one for its configurable mice the way Logitech does?

Unfortunately no, they don't seem to do that anymore.

BobHoward posted:

Are you currently using it with other computers, and if not, how old is it?

I've had the microswitches in an old mouse's button start failing and generating accidental double clicks and other weirdness.

This might be it, actually. I hadn't considered wear and tear. It's about 3 years old. I've used it with 2 other machines before, both PC.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I really don't know the difference between $ brew and $ brew cask but I really like it, what a great package manager. So a Mac is basically just a really nice Unix. And if you don't like that then it has all the UI stuff like Ubuntu does.
Anyway, I found out about a cool alternative to $ top. This is # htop

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I think brew is for command line applications and brew cask for GUI ones?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

excellent bird guy posted:

I really don't know the difference between $ brew and $ brew cask but I really like it, what a great package manager. So a Mac is basically just a really nice Unix. And if you don't like that then it has all the UI stuff like Ubuntu does.
Anyway, I found out about a cool alternative to $ top. This is # htop

That's sick, downloading rn.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

been using htop for years on all my unices, it's the first and only top that has made a lick of usable sense to me

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

A friend of mine’s daughter is wanting to play an old game that doesn’t run on newer versions of OS X. Does anyone know where she can download a disk image of High Sierra so she can install it on an external drive to boot from? The link I found on Apple’s site apparently opens her panel to check if her system is up to date instead of just downloading the image.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

A friend of mine’s daughter is wanting to play an old game that doesn’t run on newer versions of OS X. Does anyone know where she can download a disk image of High Sierra so she can install it on an external drive to boot from? The link I found on Apple’s site apparently opens her panel to check if her system is up to date instead of just downloading the image.

Unfortunately, Apple closed up direct avenues of downloading images. The only way to easily download a High Sierra installer is through the App Store.

However, there is a python script that will let you bypass the App Store and do a direct download of the HS/Mojave/Catalina installer, but it requires a fast internet connection and plenty of SSD/hard disk space.

https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts

After you assemble an installer, you can run a Terminal command to create a bootable USB key to install the OS; the USB drive has to be at least 8 GB in size, preferably 16 GB.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Unfortunately, Apple closed up direct avenues of downloading images. The only way to easily download a High Sierra installer is through the App Store.

However, there is a python script that will let you bypass the App Store and do a direct download of the HS/Mojave/Catalina installer, but it requires a fast internet connection and plenty of SSD/hard disk space.

https://github.com/munki/macadmin-scripts

After you assemble an installer, you can run a Terminal command to create a bootable USB key to install the OS; the USB drive has to be at least 8 GB in size, preferably 16 GB.

Good lord. Ok I'll pass this info along. Thanks!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sri.Theo posted:

I think brew is for command line applications and brew cask for GUI ones?

Yep. Ive started keeping track of my brew installs and now have an ansible script to quickly get me up and running if I ever have to reinstall.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Brew cask upgrade is a million times better than visiting MacUpdate and getting spammed with redirects and pages of useless 'this app sux0rs'

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This post has links to the last few versions of macOS. They'll open in App Store and let you download the installer. Then you can use DiskMaker X to make a bootable USB installer. It's a little easier than mucking around in the terminal, if that's not your thing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

it may run on the yostop :smugmrgw:

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Binary Badger posted:

Brew cask upgrade is a million times better than visiting MacUpdate and getting spammed with redirects and pages of useless 'this app sux0rs'

Not sure if that's hyperbole or approximate to the fact.

I'm thinking about installing oh-my-zsh framework still. The #zsh devs look down on it as bloat, but whatever. Usually when I install zsh it runs a little config script that lets you autocd. I've got in .zshrc
code:
# no cd
setopt autocd
But it doesn't autocomplete. So I'll have to dig a little deeper, probably using some framework.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Yep. Ive started keeping track of my brew installs and now have an ansible script to quickly get me up and running if I ever have to reinstall.

I don’t know if you’ve encountered brewfiles, but they make it a lot easier for getting up and running with a defined set of things.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DigitalRaven posted:

I don’t know if you’ve encountered brewfiles, but they make it a lot easier for getting up and running with a defined set of things.

Neat, I'll look into this. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I managed to land a Macbook Pro 16" this week and I am assessing my options for a clean install - I have never used macOS in my life outside of fixing client computers, so I have no real expectations of specific software working

Do I install Catalina? Do I install Big Sur?

And I realize the OP exists but it's also old - what QoL utilities should I be looking to grab, since my toolkit is all repair/diagnostic focused. I know most of my core applications should work fine since everything is electron these days, so mostly just mac-specific stuff