Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

OK Creed VR is pretty drat awesome but how the hell do you guys deal with sweat? I ordered a cover for the front but drat some of these games get me sweaty and it doesn't help its summer and hot as poo poo too.

Embrace the sweat as weakness leaving the body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm always afraid some sweat will drop from my hair and onto the lens.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Elite is a shitload of time spent not knowing exactly how to do stuff, then once you finally understand the game you also understand how little of it is actually worth doing.

The amount of disconnect between gameplay and reward is baffling. Like, say you were going to design a space game like Elite, or Privateer or whatever, where there are multiple playstyles, like combat pilot, trader, pirate, and so on. You'd probably relate the rewards to the playstyle, right? So a pirate gets pirate missions that give them pirate rewards, like fast, nasty ships that can get in, do a lot of damage and run away fast before the cops get there, and special stuff for grabbing cargo. Trader missions give stuff that helps against that, big, slow ships and reinforced cargo bays and so on. Combat pilots just get bigger guns and fightier ships.

None of that in Elite. You wanna be a combat pilot? Don't do any combat, because that's not how you get combat-related rewards. First make money using the current gold-rush technique (which might be exploration, or mining, or stacking missions, but rarely involves any combat) making sure to run away from any combat you encounter, and then do engineering, which is a bunch of dull grinds along the lines of "fly 3000 light years" or "transport 6 tons of stuff from A to B and lol we'll only give you five tons at a time so enjoy making multiple trips", then fly all around the galaxy looking for the specific guns and components required to assemble your ship and loadout, because god forbid everything be buyable in the same place.

It's just mind-boggling. There's good gameplay to be had in the game, but it's almost 100% detached from the reward mechanics in the game, which is just a bizarre choice.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

seravid posted:

Elite Dangerous is still mostly a "fly around" game with very little else to do, right? Maybe SpaceEngine would be a better purchase if I'm not that into sims.

Fingers crossed for X4 VR, though...
If you're not into sims, probably. Older builds of Space Engine are free to download if you scroll down on this page. Don't forget to set LOD and loading speed to max in the options. Also realize that if you view the surface of a planet up close it will take a few seconds to generate/resolve into clear detail.
http://spaceengine.org/download/spaceengine/

Space Engine is just for viewing stuff but it's really good at it. You can type in co-ordinates to something and you'll be transported there instantly. If you prefer to "fly" it can be at whatever impossible speed you wish and, that is a huge deal for space exploration. At about 100 light years a second the stars streak past you like in Star Trek. Go to a different galaxy entirely if you want. You can also dive in and view the surface of any terrestrial planet. Sometimes I just pull up a list of cool places to visit and I can explore all of them in minutes. Betelgeuse, then a supermassive black hole, then a planet with purple skies.

Elite Dangerous is space version of a flight simulator with tons of fiddly technical management. You can't just skip around wherever you want. The typical player will spend a huge amount of time in transit. If there's some point of interest I want to see but it's extremely far away, usually I just won't bother going. Trading and mining are classic space game staples but they are boring as poo poo here. The combat is fun. The sound design and cockpit interiors are fantastic. It's pretty barebones and slow in many ways but the presentation is slick and sometimes I'd rather play it than just view a model.

My two favorite Elite descriptions are: "fun can be extracted from it with the right mindsets" and "1500 hours played, negative review".

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Oh, I'm very familiar with 2D SpaceEngine :)
We've had threads for it going back... almost ten years, Jesus. Haven't bought it yet because there's plenty else to play and I'm not sure the VR integration is enough to pull me back (the addition of spaceships definitely wasn't).

...and a hard pass on Elite, then!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

If you're not into sims, probably. Older builds of Space Engine are free to download if you scroll down on this page. Don't forget to set LOD and loading speed to max in the options. Also realize that if you view the surface of a planet up close it will take a few seconds to generate/resolve into clear detail.
http://spaceengine.org/download/spaceengine/

Space Engine is just for viewing stuff but it's really good at it. You can type in co-ordinates to something and you'll be transported there instantly. If you prefer to "fly" it can be at whatever impossible speed you wish and, that is a huge deal for space exploration. At about 100 light years a second the stars streak past you like in Star Trek. Go to a different galaxy entirely if you want. You can also dive in and view the surface of any terrestrial planet. Sometimes I just pull up a list of cool places to visit and I can explore all of them in minutes. Betelgeuse, then a supermassive black hole, then a planet with purple skies.

Elite Dangerous is space version of a flight simulator with tons of fiddly technical management. You can't just skip around wherever you want. The typical player will spend a huge amount of time in transit. If there's some point of interest I want to see but it's extremely far away, usually I just won't bother going. Trading and mining are classic space game staples but they are boring as poo poo here. The combat is fun. The sound design and cockpit interiors are fantastic. It's pretty barebones and slow in many ways but the presentation is slick and sometimes I'd rather play it than just view a model.

My two favorite Elite descriptions are: "fun can be extracted from it with the right mindsets" and "1500 hours played, negative review".

To elaborate on this a bit:

Elite is pretty much one of two different games. It's either a fairly decent space dogfighting sim, in which the ships that are intended specifically for combat can do some pretty wild maneuvers (Imperial Eagle is designed to just circle strafe at high velocities around other ships to stay in their blind spot), or it's Space Euro Truck Simulator. Sometimes it's Space Euro Truck Simulator with a (now) fairly deep asteroid mining minigame.

There's a third role that I find boring, but other people seem to like, which is Exploration, where you attempt to travel to star systems that nobody else has gone to, and chart the planets and stuff there. It's a lot harder to do now, years into the game's lifespan, but still possible if you're willing to just fly for days outside of populated space. If you chart a planet that nobody else has turned in yet, you get to name it. This role used to be fairly straightforward; you burst into a system out of hyperjump, scan the star(s), "honk" your discovery scanner to get a basic idea of the major bodies, then fly up to said bodies and point your detailed surface scanner at them. It's a little more involved now, you have this thing called a full-spectrum scanner that you have to use after honking to get preliminary data about the planets, and your detailed surface scanner requires you to play a minigame with aligning probes around the planetoid sort of like the triangulation thing in EVE.

I'm bad at the combat, but it's enjoyable; the ships have an on-by-default "flight assist" mode that makes them generally behave more like an airplane, which you're encouraged to toggle off sometimes in order to pull some more advanced maneuvers, like this nasty "backflip" using your pitch and vertical thrusters for getting behind a ship that's chasing you. I'm the weirdo who plays for the Space Trucking. If you like games about carefully driving a truck from one city to another city, you'll probably like this game about carefully flying a truck from one space station to another space station.

It's *gorgeous* in VR. I'm running it on VR Medium into my Quest and it still looks incredible. You might get a little nauseous if you get too fresh with your maneuvers near an object large enough to give you a frame of reference. The cockpits are really a joy to "be" inside compared to the 2D experience. You don't realize how spacious and detailed these ships are until you see them in VR.

There are a ton of buttons. If you have a fancy enough flight setup, you could map all the important ones, but you won't be able to see what you're doing. I was once naive enough to think that I could safely keep all the default mappings to the 12 buttons on the base of my stick, but it turns out it's a bad idea to have the buttons for deploying chaff, jettisoning your heatsink, overcharging your shield, and shutting off your shield for stealth purposes right next to each other when you're effectively blind. There's a $10 application called VoiceAttack that will let you bind a lot of things to voice commands, which will enable you to stick to relatively "safe" things on your stick base, like lights, cargo scoop, weapon hardpoints, and landing gear.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

The Grumbles posted:

although I kind of wish there was a way to make the stationary boundry bigger, so that the grid doesn't come up every time I stretch my arms out.

quote:

Disabling the Guardian only (developer mode)
If your Quest is in developer mode, you are also able to disable the Guardian boundary by itself, while retaining full 6DoF tracking.

1. Go to the full settings menu on your Quest by clicking Settings and then ‘See All‘ on the bottom menu bar in the Quest Home.

2. Select the Developer tab.

3. Turn the Guardian switch off to disable your Guardian boundary, while retaining position 6DoF tracking.

This option won’t be available if you haven’t enabled developer mode. If you don’t know what developer mode is and want to find out more, you can read about it at the beginning of our guide to sideloading content on the Oculus Quest.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

by.a.teammate posted:

Can I ask what steps you got no lag ? I’m using the router that came with my internet but it definitely connects 5ghz as the router shows the oculus was on the 5ghz network and the pc was directly plugged into the router and all in the same room. Even with what I saw as perfect setup it wasn’t just meh it was incredibly laggy. Is it the router?

I'd imagine the issue is the router. My PC and Quest are both connected via 5Ghz wifi with the router being downstairs and I'm not seeing much lag over a usb connection. This is just using the default settings from Virtual Desktop as well, I've not messed with any settings at all to try and improve the performance.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

OK Creed VR is pretty drat awesome but how the hell do you guys deal with sweat? I ordered a cover for the front but drat some of these games get me sweaty and it doesn't help its summer and hot as poo poo too.

as a certified brazilian: i keep a fan blowing at my face and i have this cloth i wrap around my forehead. makes it a lot better.
but yeah, in the summer i do play less

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

bandana around head

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

They said bigger, not off. I'm in the same boat, i'd love to have a stationary boundary that was bigger, but i've instead just decided to do roomscale but sit in the middle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RE: Elite dangerous

If you try to do everything you will be frustrated. If you want to fight, then fight and save up cash for a better dogfighting ship.

If you want to explore, then explore and save up cash for a ship with a crazy jump range.

If you want to play space trucker (my personal fav), then do it and save for a ship with huge cargo capacity.

If you try to do all of them you will get frustrated because the grind to get the best setups for each individual thing are long in themselves and the ships that are good at each thing generally don’t overlap too much.

Having a good trucking ship, a good exploring ship and a dogfighter in your stable is a late-game thing for when you have billions of spacebucks to throw at builds.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Elite has been great for me when I smoke a little and haul space cargo for an hour or two with some music. I can’t imagine getting really deep into the game.

As a VR bonus, you can poke your head out of your ship to look around. It’s nice that my spaceship has a sunroof.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Professor Wayne posted:

Elite has been great for me when I smoke a little and haul space cargo for an hour or two with some music. I can’t imagine getting really deep into the game.

As a VR bonus, you can poke your head out of your ship to look around. It’s nice that my spaceship has a sunroof.

You can also get up and look around the bridge of your ship in roomscale, but the game's not designed around it and you'll still see your "body" sitting in the pilot chair.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Professor Wayne posted:

smoke a little

deadly_pudding posted:

you'll still see your "body" sitting in the pilot chair.

This tracks.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mashed_penguin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Gg7Q0C6SU

Mixed reality dude with a video on tracking. Looks pretty solid.

"playing bow and arrow games is no problem" *never shows a realistic bow pull*
I mean I'm sure the tracking is better than the old WMR sets but I wanted to see how it does right up on your face

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

Playing the soma.fm station that is nasa radio chatter over ambient electronic is absolute :catdrugs: in Elite

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MarcusSA posted:

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-g2-vr-headset.html

I didn't like the "pre order" site and I really don't like they take the money before it ships.

Come on, that's bullshit. I guess I'll still order one now. :shrug:

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I am extremely loving pissed off. After the latest Oculus Rift update the video in my HMD is stuttery as poo poo. Like it seems like I'm getting 0.5FPS but on the mirrored video on my monitor I'm at 70-100FPS. Video on the monitor is smooth as it should be but the HMD sucks. I literally cannot play anything due to this. Anyone have the same issue or any ideas? I'm about to run this thing over with my car because this is the 3rd time I've had to open a support ticket for updates that break the god drat thing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That hit like 10 of the users I support and all of them just needed to reinstall their graphics drivers and that sorted it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Space Engine still has their 0.9.8.0 release for free on their website to give it a 2D test drive

It's really good for clicking on a random star, and then cruising 100' above procedurally generated mountain ranges while your endorphins are pinging from controlled substances

Supposedly there's a spaceship plugin but I've never used it. If you dig there was a dedicated thread to this app

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, I wanted to assist to the Tempest live show from The Under Presents, but the sessions are from 1am to 4am in my timezone. The problem with live events I guess. :/

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

SixPabst posted:

I am extremely loving pissed off. After the latest Oculus Rift update the video in my HMD is stuttery as poo poo. Like it seems like I'm getting 0.5FPS but on the mirrored video on my monitor I'm at 70-100FPS. Video on the monitor is smooth as it should be but the HMD sucks. I literally cannot play anything due to this. Anyone have the same issue or any ideas? I'm about to run this thing over with my car because this is the 3rd time I've had to open a support ticket for updates that break the god drat thing.

Are you on a AMD card? If so, downgrade your video drivers to 20.4.

20.5 literally made my headset unusable, and 20.7 (released yesterday) makes the headset somewhat usable again in virtual desktop, but immediately locks up the minute anything is displayed other than the Oculus dash when using the Link cable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hadlock posted:

Space Engine still has their 0.9.8.0 release for free on their website to give it a 2D test drive

It's really good for clicking on a random star, and then cruising 100' above procedurally generated mountain ranges while your endorphins are pinging from controlled substances

Supposedly there's a spaceship plugin but I've never used it. If you dig there was a dedicated thread to this app

The old thread was by me:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551191

I was thinking about reviving it but the original threads never got much traction; I wouldn't mind doing it again if there's enough interest.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

seravid posted:

Haven't bought it yet because there's plenty else to play and I'm not sure the VR integration is enough to pull me back (the addition of spaceships definitely wasn't).
I think it's one of the best use cases for VR there is. The sense of scale benefits immensely. I bought a headset thinking I'd play a ton of different games but 90% of the time I just use it for Beat Saber, Thrill of the Fight, ED, or Space Engine.

sigher posted:

The old thread was by me:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551191

I was thinking about reviving it but the original threads never got much traction; I wouldn't mind doing it again if there's enough interest.
I think you should give it a shot. Between everyone being trapped inside and VR rekindling interest there might be more posts.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

I mean I'm sure the tracking is better than the old WMR sets but I wanted to see how it does right up on your face

Yeah totally I want to see him play some games with it not just gently caress around in rec room.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm slowly getting my VR legs, but I still can't play for more than a half hour with smooth movement. Has anyone gotten foot tracking locomotion working yet? Maybe that'll help.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Playing the soma.fm station that is nasa radio chatter over ambient electronic is absolute :catdrugs: in Elite

Love Mission Control and somafm has a buncha other great streams too

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
when theres zombies on my computer screen i aim my cursor and POW POW POW dead zombies

when there's zombies standing 10 feet away from me shambling in my direction I forget which buttons reload the gun

having gone from no VR ever to playing Alyx feels so weird, i look around every corner, jump at every shadow, and i've barely gotten anywhere in hours because I'm sure a zombie is behind every window. I know everyone else had this experience last year but someone confirm for me this game is freaky as gently caress to play in VR

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Horror games in VR have so much potential. I've only played a few janky ones, but they were effective.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

hhhat posted:

when theres zombies on my computer screen i aim my cursor and POW POW POW dead zombies

when there's zombies standing 10 feet away from me shambling in my direction I forget which buttons reload the gun

having gone from no VR ever to playing Alyx feels so weird, i look around every corner, jump at every shadow, and i've barely gotten anywhere in hours because I'm sure a zombie is behind every window. I know everyone else had this experience last year but someone confirm for me this game is freaky as gently caress to play in VR

Oh its pretty much the same from there on out. Nothing gets scarier than the zombies. Honest.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Isometric Bacon posted:

Oh its pretty much the same from there on out. Nothing gets scarier than the zombies. Honest.

Play Alien: Isolation, it's the best and worst horror VR experience.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Jenny Agutter posted:

Works great for Pavlov/Onward!

Source: Trust me bro

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Isometric Bacon posted:

oh no

I already found the head crab

I just kinda went like nah ill play more later

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m a huge wuss for horror games, I quit them all the time and Subnautica was a major difficulty pretty much throughout. Somehow, I managed to force myself through the long dark part of Alyx. gently caress that, I don’t know how I did it. I think maybe the immersion kicked in a survival instinct or some bullshit, I really don’t know.

So I picked up Freedive, I assume I’m going to hate this.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 11, 2020

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

sigher posted:

Play Alien: Isolation, it's the best and worst horror VR experience.

I've been waiting to see if they ever update that mod by adding motion controls.

I did play it, way back when, on the original Oculus DK2. I have a very fond memory of being stuck under a virtual desk, underneath my real desk, unable to move because that fucker was patrolling the hallways and I was too frozen up to move.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Isometric Bacon posted:

I've been waiting to see if they ever update that mod by adding motion controls.

I did play it, way back when, on the original Oculus DK2. I have a very fond memory of being stuck under a virtual desk, underneath my real desk, unable to move because that fucker was patrolling the hallways and I was too frozen up to move.

I've quit that game so fast so many times on flat. I mean like, quit, exit, uninstall. Six months later, rinse and repeat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
In regards to that new Half-Life Alyx interactive thing; Wow Geoff, dick move putting the big end-game spoiler on the splash page advertising to everyone on Steam.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

hhhat posted:

oh no

I already found the head crab

I just kinda went like nah ill play more later

If that stopped you, I don't think you'll beat chapter 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
One of these days I'll load up Alyx and make my way out of that basement.