Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Covid has made it to refugee camps in Northern Syria

https://twitter.com/damasceneting/status/1281315503433269249?s=19

At the same time, the cross border relief operations of the UN run from Turkey are set to expire

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1281657799198625792?s=19

twoday has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Jul 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hexigrammus posted:

I was thinking this too about a neighbourhood friend who for the most part is a kind and loving person. Then I remembered...

Last year we had a particularly vicious windstorm come through and take down the power. Some areas on the island were out for over 10 days. We got lucky, our rural area was only out for 50 hours, compared to the area next door across the river that was out for a week.

Karen suffers when the power is down. Her window to the world is through her TV, her hobby is shopping, and she's scared of her woodstove so she can't relax when it's on. Add to that the lack of water because the well pumps aren't running and the inability to go into town because trees are across the road and the stores in town don't have power either and she was not in good shape at the end of two days.

Later in the spring the power company's brush clearing crews kicked into high gear and when they came to our area they used our dead end road as a staging area for their equipment - out of the way, no traffic to speak of, and neighbours keeping an eye on who's coming and going. We had the sound of their trucks starting up at 07:00 and had to walk around their trucks and personal vehicles during neighbourhood dog walks. nbd. They're doing God's work keeping our power on.

After six weeks she totally karen-bitched the crew about parking on our road and when they were leaving. I could not believe what I was hearing. Between that and the things that would sometimes bubble out about indigenous people I'll have to find another Karen to feel sorry for.

They moved into town last fall so I have no idea what her opinion on masks is (yet).

lmao my mom is super scared of the wood stove

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Stereotype posted:

I'm pretty sure they'll just let you die at home because then the dead bodies are more spread out and it is harder to notice. Having a big pile of corpses at the hospital is pretty noticeable and we only makes decisions based on how it will look on the news now.

There's about to be a ton of people trapped inside with their loved one's dead bodies in the middle of summer and it owns. If they crank their a/c up enough maybe they can turn their house into a makeshift morgue until the body collectors can get to them.

Otherwise stick'em outside and let the crows give them a sky burial.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

twoday posted:

didn't China figure out it was aerosol in like march

yes, but the old guidance was you only had to really worry about someone talking to you spitting "big" droplettes at you within 6-10 feet or further if they had an AC at their back. The new guidance is that it can aerosolize on small droplets and linger in the air for awhile spreading several meters. It appears more rare you'd get a viral load large enough to induce infection, but it's worth considering when doing poo poo like opening schools or hanging out in an airplane for several hours.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Admiral Ray posted:

this is how people become addicted to social interactions. be careful. socializing is more addictive than meth. some people even think that socialization can lead to other hard drugs like meth, herion, etc because of something called "peer pressure". stay safe.

Do not, my friends, become addicted to social interaction. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
lmao, apparently faculty at my university are being told to designate someone to take over their class should they become too ill to teach

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

May covid take his other eye

https://twitter.com/ObsoleteDogma/status/1281657833038188548

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

fosborb posted:

speaking of, jfc I wish I lived in a legalized state

extremely same

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

power word- Jeb! posted:

lmao, apparently faculty at my university are being told to designate someone to take over their class should they become too ill to teach

designating their second for the school duel, lol

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Two of my friends started their kids back at daycare this week

One has a confirmed case of COVID at their daycare today. The other is already home with probably a normal cold despite all the safety measures.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

I think I'm going to be a fomite truther and just insist this doesn't spread by touch and you can do whatever gross stuff you do with your face whenever you want as often as you want

Obviously you should still be careful but I'm just angry seeing more and more "ok fine maybe it's in the air a bit' 4 months after insisting it absolutely wasn't and hand washing would save the economy

It's because "wash your hands" is an easy thing to suggest that doesn't put a burden on anyone and Americans will literally never sacrifice a single thing about their lifestyle for any reason whatsoever.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

power word- Jeb! posted:

When the one next to you falls, you will pick-up the lesson plan and continue on.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1281658628429078529

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Vishass posted:

yes, but the old guidance was you only had to really worry about someone talking to you spitting "big" droplettes at you within 6-10 feet or further if they had an AC at their back. The new guidance is that it can aerosolize on small droplets and linger in the air for awhile spreading several meters. It appears more rare you'd get a viral load large enough to induce infection, but it's worth considering when doing poo poo like opening schools or hanging out in an airplane for several hours.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

This is from mid april, from the New England Journal of Medicine and says

quote:

SARS-CoV-2 remained viable in aerosols throughout the duration of our experiment (3 hours), with a reduction in infectious titer from 103.5 to 102.7 TCID50 per liter of air. This reduction was similar to that observed with SARS-CoV-1, from 104.3 to 103.5 TCID50 per milliliter

So it seems like this was known 3 months ago

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fosborb posted:

speaking of, jfc I wish I lived in a legalized state

drat which states have legal meth?

Maria Juana
May 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Donald Trump is handling this the exact same way that it has been extensively documented for decades that he has handled crises his entire loving life. It's hysterical.

He will get richer from all this too.

It's pretty crazy lol

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

power word- Jeb! posted:

grad students are going to be exploited to hell and back during this. overall there are few institutions that have disappointed me more this year than academia, particularly rich-rear end endowment private academia.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1281659154717966337

lol

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

wow imagine how hard it would have been breathing through a mask, good thing he didn’t have to experience that before he croaked

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

twoday posted:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

This is from mid april, from the New England Journal of Medicine and says

So it seems like this was known 3 months ago

If that were true we would have to do hard things, so therefore it isn't true. This is how I as an American determine what is true or not

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

guess we get to find out if COVID really is way less deadly to under-30's or if they just were way less exposed to it since all the socialization and gathering options for them were the first things to close pretty much nationwide

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

power word- Jeb! posted:

The first professor is issued a syllabus , the second professor is told to pick up the first's when he falls and continue the fight

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Too Many Birds posted:

been doing some thinking and i think its time for us to cancel covid.

wait until the election so we can use mass death to defeat trumo

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

he could have ridden covid to reelection but it would require him to do the opposite of every instinct he has

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vishass posted:

Two of my friends started their kids back at daycare this week

One has a confirmed case of COVID at their daycare today. The other is already home with probably a normal cold despite all the safety measures.

Im shocked they could even test that fast

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

:trumppop:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao loving owned moron

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

that's the good stuff

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
donny j rump is handling pandemic PERFECTLY. it was the perfect handling

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Didn't we already know it's airborne?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Chuds will share something they just learned like it's some big revelation and they're spreading their grand knowledge to everybody, despite the fact everyone with a functioning brain already knew it.

Also as an added bonus they'll forget they spent the last months/years or whatever arguing against whatever fact they're sharing and calling the masses of people that disagreed with them stupid liberals.

Them acting like we just learned that COVID19 is an aerosol is pretty standard fare.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

i'm the march 18 where trump had a positive approval rating

this is the top tweet from that epoch lol

https://twitter.com/NoahhbyNature/status/1239771217835560960

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

UnknownTarget posted:

My understanding is there's a scientific difference between droplet, aerosol and airborne and this is a distinction without a difference when communicating with the general public

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

fosborb posted:

designating their second for the school duel, lol

the battle of stalingrad but it's teaching freshman comp

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

UnknownTarget posted:

we knew it could hang out on vapor and transmit that way. i sneeze, its hanging out on my sneeze fluid as it floats around being an rear end in a top hat, some other rear end in a top hat breathes it in and boom covid

now they think the virus can just like, kinda fly

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Nothus posted:

When the one next to you falls, you will pick-up the lesson plan and continue on.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Robert de Niro affected greatly by coronavirus, as lawyers say he'll be lucky if he makes even $7.5mil this year https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/robert-de-niro-money-net-worth-wife-payment-grace-hightower-a9611791.html?amp

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Just found out someone at my office tested positive for the roni and is asymptomatic... should I go ahead and get a test at the urgent care or wait and see if I get symptoms? I'm not really going anywhere regardless (have been back working from home since yesterday and will be for a while).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao

he could have ridden covid to reelection but it would require him to do the opposite of every instinct he has

I like his doubling down and acting like a virus will respond to his political chest puffing.

The Coronavirus will disappear on it's own!