Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe celebrities ought to take a stand for their own integrity and stop allowing themselves to have their asses kissed by cartoon show production crews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I actually think this episode was a turning point for me too, and this song is a big reason why.

I barely remember that song but yeah, I get where you're coming from.

quote:

It was almost jarring for kid-me to hear such dogshit when this was the same show that gave us tunes like Who Needs the Kwik-E-Mart?, We Put the Spring in Springfield, I'm Checkin' In, and the Planet of the Apes musical.

Don't forget the Streetcar Named Marge musical. :haw: Also, holy poo poo, re: I'm Checkin' In, I almost completely forgot about '90s Robert Downey, Jr. Good for him for turning things around.

"The Kwik-E-Mart is real-- d'oh!" and "he can talk he can talk he can talk he can talk I CAN SIIIIIIIIIIING" are among my favorite lyrics in Simpsons music. God, classic Simpsons is so loving great.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Pretend I posted the “Play it Cool” song which is such a neat and weird little moment in the series

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

YeahTubaMike posted:

"The Kwik-E-Mart is real-- d'oh!" and "he can talk he can talk he can talk he can talk I CAN SIIIIIIIIIIING" are among my favorite lyrics in Simpsons music. God, classic Simpsons is so loving great.

Apu on the roof, staring at the Kwik-E-Mart in the distance while sadly singing "Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart? I dooooooooooooooooo." is legit heartbreaking.

Then you get Homer's "Heeey, he's not happy at all. He lied to us through song! I HATE when people do that :argh:" before the commercial break to seal the deal with how loving incredible The Simpsons used to be.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
“Well, that was a bust. Is he really the head of the Kwik E Mart?”

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I was listening to the season 4 commentaries recently and Streetcar! is especially great because they were told by the Tennessee Williams estate that they could only use, like, a line or two from the play, so making it into a cheesy musical (that completely negates the original meaning of the play) was a very creative way of getting around that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"you can always depend on the kindness of strangers" is an incredible ending to the play's story

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

YeahTubaMike posted:

I barely remember that song but yeah, I get where you're coming from.

Don't forget the Streetcar Named Marge musical. :haw: Also, holy poo poo, re: I'm Checkin' In, I almost completely forgot about '90s Robert Downey, Jr. Good for him for turning things around.

I don't know how I managed to brain fart it so hard but I thought I'm Checkin' In was about Charlie Sheen.

Like, the dude Checkin' In is clearly wearing the same outfit from Less Than Zero.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

achtungnight posted:

The sad thing is this is typical of many celebrity guest these days. Witness Rush Limbaugh on Family Guy for another example. The show really could have righteously shamed the guy, and instead the political posturing panders to him.

Gone are the days when celebrities were unsure about cartoon cameos, when they did it under assumed names if at all. The Simpsons helped put an end to those days too, by giving such celebrities fun or inspirational characters to voice whether it was extended roles like they gave to Dustin Hoffman & Michael Jackson or one-off gags like they gave to Tito Puente & Joe Namath. It pains me to see them making such roles more about the quality of celebrity than the material.

And yet the show must go on.

Rush and Seth MacFarlane are friends I think, because he appears a few times to voice himself.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

Then you get Homer's "Heeey, he's not happy at all. He lied to us through song! I HATE when people do that :argh:" before the commercial break to seal the deal with how loving incredible The Simpsons used to be.

they cut that part out in the syndicated runs :(

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I don't know if undercutting the tone for the sake of that joke is worth it.

I get that's the joke in and of itself but ehhhh, I'm fine with that cut, it's a better scene without it imo.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Nah, it’s a great joke that I’m sure none of us saw since its original airing. I know when I bought the DVDs and saw the episodes uncut for the first time in years that I laughed quite a bit at it.

If not for Homer’s :argh: face, too, which in itself Is also funny as hell. The animation back then was also key to the jokes. In current Simpsons form, Homer would probably say “D’oh!” with a :geno: face and maybe shake his fist with two frames of sanitized animation.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nah, it's a dumb joke that sounds like it's from season 26 or some poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was funny at the time because of how incongruous it was. Now that kind of joke treatment is par for the course. A lot of Simpsons stuff is like that, something was funny the first time or three or four times but eventually it's just tiresome, like Disco Stu or Comic Book Guy, or <this week's celebrity cameo>.

Anyway my bigger issue is that it affects the plot to have Homer overhear Apu and realize he isn't happy at all. Or in this case if they omit the scene in syndication it means now Homer doesn't know something he was originally supposed to. Not that big a deal in the scheme of things, since honestly I can't remember whether it actually matters whether Homer knows Apu is dissatisfied in the subsequent scenes, but it makes me think of dumb tropes where the story hinges on a fundamental misunderstanding that is all undermined by a seemingly innocuous decision to have one of the characters eavesdrop on another and realize the truth, but then they forget to rework the story to deal with that properly.

Example: Victor/Victoria, where there's this whole scene where King sneaks into Victoria's suite to spy on her in the bath and realizes she's really a woman. This completely undermines the impact of him later confessing to Victor(ia) that he loves him even if he is a man, and kisses him; and then she says she's not a man, and he's like "I still don't care". Like, ok what? Did that eavesdropping scene get tacked on at the last minute when the studio got cold feet about the movie actually doing something brave or something? That final reveal scene would have been a bombshell in 1982, but with the eavesdropping bit in there it turns into cynical nonsense.

Argh :argh:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 5, 2020

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Syndication has always been a strange concept to me because it's not really a thing here in the UK. Even now that I basically know what it is, there are bits of it that I don't really understand.

With The Simpsons, the only cuts I can remember were more for content reasons. Like when Marge goes to see Mrs Krabappel on parent's evening and she reveals that Bart had a knife concealed inside a Krusty doll, or during the St Patrick's Day parade where part of the festivities involve blowing up "John Bull's Fish and Chips". It was really jarring to see those two bits on DVD, and perhaps as a result they make me a little uncomfortable. That, and I never like it when Bart is implied to be violently malicious, and the IRA gag literally hit a little too close to home for me.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Syndication has always been a strange concept to me because it's not really a thing here in the UK. Even now that I basically know what it is, there are bits of it that I don't really understand.

It's like if BBC8 made so many episodes of Miss Marple's Great British Cumberland Sausage Mysteries: The Panel Show Quiz that they started selling them to Sky 7 to air in between adverts for treacle

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Point of order: how can something from Season 5 be "like it's from Season 26". Wouldn't that mean the thing from Season 26 that sucked is in fact like it's from Season 5? :psyduck:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

in reruns, they changed this line to "blast a leakie," and it kind of hosed with my head. (it's season 11, so not a major classic, but that line made me laugh)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Riptor posted:

It's like if BBC8 made so many episodes of Miss Marple's Great British Cumberland Sausage Mysteries: The Panel Show Quiz that they started selling them to Sky 7 to air in between adverts for treacle

lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Empty Sandwich posted:

in reruns, they changed this line to "blast a leakie," and it kind of hosed with my head. (it's season 11, so not a major classic, but that line made me laugh)

Does Otto say "leak on" instead of "dook on"? :wtc:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

Does Otto say "leak on" instead of "dook on"? :wtc:

I vaguely remember that they also cut his response, but maybe so :ohdear:

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'd have sworn in the original airing of Martin's teenseason "Alone we are like these sticks, easily broken. But together, we form a mighty...", they didn't pop up the dictionary entry.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Daikloktos posted:

I'd have sworn in the original airing of Martin's teenseason "Alone we are like these sticks, easily broken. But together, we form a mighty...", they didn't pop up the dictionary entry.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it with a dictionary entry popping up.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I vividly recall the dictionary entry being there when I saw that episode new. The joke basically doesn't work without it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I vividly recall the dictionary entry being there when I saw that episode new. The joke basically doesn't work without it.

The joke is definitely 100% something you could get in 90s era haha casual homophobia

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Disney+ has the dictionary definition under it, which is surprising because I assumed the joke being even slightly sexual in nature would have been edited out completely.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

the punchline is Bart chiming in with "well said," because there were clearly better ways to say it

the dictionary definition is present in this YouTube clip from 6 years ago:

https://youtu.be/5AWI_ECKrBc

the '90s are unfortunately no excuse because this aired in December 2006. there have been 298 episodes since this episode

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One of the newer Simpson's future episodes do a short gag where Martin is a woman now.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

Tito Puente’s slanderous mambo slaps hard.

“Adios, viejo!” *does backflip*

The writers didn't realise that Tito doesn't do the singing when they wrote it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Daikloktos posted:

my memory is that it was there on the first airing. I don't think they could play it without that as a sort of lovely disclaimer/explanation

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

emgeejay posted:

the punchline is Bart chiming in with "well said," because there were clearly better ways to say it

the '90s are unfortunately no excuse because this aired in December 2006. there have been 298 episodes since this episode

I never seen this before, but it does remind me of maybe 5th or 6th grade when a teacher taught my class the meaning as a way to discourage the use of the word. It didn't help.

XA Shere
Apr 18, 2019
It's probably been said many times before, but when "Ned Flanders" lost his wife...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

XA Shere posted:

It's probably been said many times before, but when "Ned Flanders" lost his wife...

Which one?

XA Shere
Apr 18, 2019

All my bones, they are gone, gone, gone... #89

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

emgeejay posted:

What episode was this from? If it aired in 2006 it must have been among the last few episodes that I ever saw.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

YeahTubaMike posted:

What episode was this from? If it aired in 2006 it must have been among the last few episodes that I ever saw.

The Haw-Hawed Couple, December 2006.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

the first episode i remember all of my friends coming in and being super "meh" about was the Tomacco episode in Season 11.

Looking at it there's only IMO like 3-4 good episodes in 11. The baseball one & behind the laughter probably being the only ones i consider essential.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

charity rereg posted:

the first episode i remember all of my friends coming in and being super "meh" about was the Tomacco episode in Season 11.

Looking at it there's only IMO like 3-4 good episodes in 11. The baseball one & behind the laughter probably being the only ones i consider essential.

Behind the Laughter should have been the series finale

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PostNouveau posted:

Behind the Laughter should have been the series finale

It is, in my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It would be kinda a weird end because Behind the Music is a bit of a forgotten cultural relic that came and went fast, but it's good enough that it transcends the need for knowledge of the source.