Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Halberdiers manning the line with handgunners firing into gaps and the knights acting as the hammer, I'd presume?

Checkerboarding with Handgunners is great, yes, but TBH I find more use for them as large unit/character snipers. Your Halberdiers are reliable enough at stopping enemy infantry in their tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

dogstile posted:

Do you not live in the UK or something? The company I work in is entirely left leaning and everyone has the accent. Guess the proximity to London has to do with it, because RP is a southern accent.

theres a difference between rp and a posh southern accent.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the AI isn't too good at using those strong ranged armies anyway, the only real one you have to worry about is skaven weapon teams given how much everyone likes to break

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Does anyone have a link to the mod they said would come out with the SFO update, having banner bearers for units?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I bumped the difficulty on SFO from VH/H to VH/VH and holy poo poo I'm getting owned. The enemy garrisons are much stronger and my army just routes immediately in battle. I think in order to win I'll need to individually micro all my ranged units? Not sure I can do that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Slider posted:

I bumped the difficulty on SFO from VH/H to VH/VH and holy poo poo I'm getting owned. The enemy garrisons are much stronger and my army just routes immediately in battle. I think in order to win I'll need to individually micro all my ranged units? Not sure I can do that.

Playing VH battle difficulty kinda necessitates relying overwhelmingly relying on ranged and magic because your swordmasters will fear tangling with AI clanrats.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah VH battle diff is a whole different game, and a lot more brutal in SFO too since they generally nerfed ranged in favor of melee because ranged dominates in vanilla to a ridiculous degree once you know the trick.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

toasterwarrior posted:

Checkerboarding with Handgunners Helblaster Volleyguns is great, yes,

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

theres a difference between rp and a posh southern accent.

Not big enough that people outside of the country notice the difference.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

dogstile posted:

I won’t go so far as to suggest someone listen to Arch or Sargon of Akkad but no, it doesn’t take being a brit to tell someone speaking RP from those dudes. And I can’t speak for Sargon or the actual british youtube shitlords but Arch is again, deliberately putting on a silly voice. (That he, presumably, thinks makes him sound intelligent and aristocratic)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

dogstile posted:

yeah but im inside the country and i do notice the difference. putting that voice on is some kinda weird youtube racist tell, idk if they think it makes them sound smarter or if its some kind of colonial era cosplay but it is weird.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

everything I think is weird is fash 🙄
nate Robinson of current affairs also affects a British accent and he is mostly Marxist. if you don't want to give this guy clicks or exposure please shut the gently caress up about him instead of discussing whether or not he does a "nazi voice" for two pages

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlesThunder posted:

everything I think is weird is fash 🙄
nate Robinson of current affairs also affects a British accent and he is mostly Marxist. if you don't want to give this guy clicks or exposure please shut the gently caress up about him instead of discussing whether or not he does a "nazi voice" for two pages

Compare arch and Robinson’s accents. Arch is doing a bit for a specific, fash reason and he does not speak like that normally. He can’t hold it for an entire video in one go.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Generally if you want to criticize someone, less is more. Spending time criticizing them for something small and unimportant, even if it's true, makes it sound like you're just fishing for negative things to say about a person. It sounds like you have a personal grudge, and makes people doubt whether your actual criticisms have legitimate grounds. Making one strong point is infinitely better than making one strong point and three weak points.

If you just want to complain on the internet then you'll be really tiresome to talk to but whatever, you do you, but if you actually want to convince anyone, stick to the important stuff. If the guy's a fascist, if he genuinely thinks the 40k Imperium is a model of a good society, if he's genuinely picking pedophiles to moderate his discord, then don't dilute the real stuff by going on and on about his bad accent.

100% unrelated question: In a mortal empires co-op campaign with one player as Franz and the other as Gelt, do the players share the Imperial Authority stat? Elector Count Fealty? Prestige resource?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Generally if you want to criticize someone, less is more. Spending time criticizing them for something small and unimportant, even if it's true, makes it sound like you're just fishing for negative things to say about a person. It sounds like you have a personal grudge, and makes people doubt whether your actual criticisms have legitimate grounds. Making one strong point is infinitely better than making one strong point and three weak points.

If you just want to complain on the internet then you'll be really tiresome to talk to but whatever, you do you, but if you actually want to convince anyone, stick to the important stuff. If the guy's a fascist, if he genuinely thinks the 40k Imperium is a model of a good society, if he's genuinely picking pedophiles to moderate his discord, then don't dilute the real stuff by going on and on about his bad accent.

100% unrelated question: In a mortal empires co-op campaign with one player as Franz and the other as Gelt, do the players share the Imperial Authority stat? Elector Count Fealty? Prestige resource?

the ship already sailed on him being a fascist, its legal to roast his voice for being a weird voice that all the racist europeans on youtube put on. im not doing a persuasive powerpoint for the board of directors here.

unrelated to that, does anyone have any ideas of lords they could add to norsca? basically every other warriors of chaos LL is heavily aligned to one god or another which would gently caress up their campaign gimmick.

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

the ship already sailed on him being a fascist, its legal to roast his voice for being a weird voice that all the racist europeans on youtube put on. im not doing a persuasive powerpoint for the board of directors here.

unrelated to that, does anyone have any ideas of lords they could add to norsca? basically every other warriors of chaos LL is heavily aligned to one god or another which would gently caress up their campaign gimmick.

I say give us Surtha Ek, long may he roll! BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Losteriksson so Skaeggi is a playable faction on Vortex, thus adding a Norscan lord to Vortex and adding flavor to that part of the map in both ME and Vortex. Gives Norsca some different enemies to fight.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Losteriksson so Skaeggi is a playable faction on Vortex, thus adding a Norscan lord to Vortex and adding flavor to that part of the map in both ME and Vortex. Gives Norsca some different enemies to fight.

They would have to do something to how Norscan settlements work to have a lord that starts outside of the north.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Sarcastastic posted:

I say give us Surtha Ek, long may he roll! BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION!

i am down for this but only if they make him a demon prince who is chariot from the waist down

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ethiser posted:

They would have to do something to how Norscan settlements work to have a lord that starts outside of the north.
They need to do that anyway so I'm all for it!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

i am down for this but only if they make him a demon prince who is chariot from the waist down

Better yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPe1a4zOLkc

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Grom campaign is so god drat fun

His cauldron is great. So many ways to make the goblins powerful.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zzulu posted:

The Grom campaign is so god drat fun

His cauldron is great. So many ways to make the goblins powerful.
What part of the map does Grom focus on anyway?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JT Jag posted:

What part of the map does Grom focus on anyway?

He starts in the mountain range at the far east of the Tomb King desert on Vortex and at Massif Orcal in Bretonnia in ME.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I exclusively play ME honestly.

Near Brettonia, though? Interesting. Doesn't that put him fairly close to Ulthuan?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I exclusively play ME honestly.

Near Brettonia, though? Interesting. Doesn't that put him fairly close to Ulthuan?

Yes. His campaign and quest is largely based around sacking Yvresse, so presumably his ME campaign involves raiding around Bretonnia and nearby environs and sacking poo poo for tons of cash/experience/cauldron ingredients, then hauling rear end over the sea to invade Ulthuan. Massif Orcal seems very defensible and you could run a fine campaign stack with nothing but Gobbos, pump wagons, and stone trolls, honestly, so you wouldn't be hurting for buildings.

I played him in Vortex so this is largely conjecture, and I probably made the mistake of getting bogged down in the TK desert before moving to Ulthuan.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Grom has a great starting position in Mortal Empires. he's basically in the middle of the world and can choose what he attacks. The closest thing to attack are the brettonians and your upgraded gobbos will make short work of those guys. Then you have vampires, empire, elves and skaven close by as well so you can fight a wide variety of stuff

Honestly, regenerating upgraded goblins + stone trolls counters basically everything in the game

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

just dont make the mistake of trying to go to elf donut too early or youll have pointy ears out the wazoo coming in to kick you out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ravenfood posted:

Yes. His campaign and quest is largely based around sacking Yvresse, so presumably his ME campaign involves raiding around Bretonnia and nearby environs and sacking poo poo for tons of cash/experience/cauldron ingredients, then hauling rear end over the sea to invade Ulthuan. Massif Orcal seems very defensible and you could run a fine campaign stack with nothing but Gobbos, pump wagons, and stone trolls, honestly, so you wouldn't be hurting for buildings.

I played him in Vortex so this is largely conjecture, and I probably made the mistake of getting bogged down in the TK desert before moving to Ulthuan.

Yeah it's neat that his start has so many viable ways to go.

Orc update is MVP of updates.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

yea you gotta wait for the elves to consolidate into a few factions so you don't have a hundred armies on your rear end

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Honestly, regenerating upgraded goblins + stone trolls counters basically everything in the game

True, those stone trolls are beastly and get some nice Cauldron upgrades, either being unbreakable or getting an on-contact debuff and a bonus (+15?) vs Large. What I can't figure out is why they end up so good. I've gotten their damage pretty drat high for a relatively high model-count unit, but they still seem to hit far harder than, say, Vargheists even though their stats don't seem to back that up (at least, until Waagh goes off and they're hitting for ~300 each). +25% damage from scrap is nuts. For whatever reason, their battlefield performance seems to wildly outshine their already good statline.

Also I didn't realize that Massif Orcal has a landmark giving stone troll recruitment and rank bonus. Yep, ME Grom sounds like hellishly good fun. I should have done that instead of Vortex.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 10, 2020

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Just discovered Mors aaaand they have 38 settlements. Boy would you look at the time that was a fun campaign time to pack it up.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

must go faster... must go faster!

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I want to see a mod that makes skaven capybara instead of rats.

Actually better yet a whole new order aligned faction of capy men that are skavens nemesis. They're noble and selfless warriors, complete gender equality, and they have cute little hats and ride giant capybara into battle.

Your Brain on Hugs fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 11, 2020

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

If you can't stand dealing with them join them and commit war crimes yes-yes?

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Look I'm not saying I don't love skaven war crimes, I just also love capybara

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I want to see a mod that makes skaven capybara instead of rats.

Actually better yet a whole new order aligned faction of capy men that are skavens nemesis. They're noble and selfless warriors, complete gender equality, and they have cute little hats and ride giant capybara into battle.

:hmmyes:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I want to improve my game framerate by upgrading my PC what would be the best place to start? I've got an 8gb gtx1070 and an i7-6700 processor and 16gb of ram. An SSD would help with load times i imagine compared to my hdd but would it offer much actual intake improvement?

I have a 60hz monitor so I'm capped at 60fps tops unless I upgrade that. My 16gb of ram isn't top of the line corsair stuff, just some rip jaws. I built the pc back in 2016 so it could use some upgrades but I'm not sure what would be best to get better performance out of warhammer 2. Total war games are always very cpu heavy but since I don't exactly have the money to replace my i7 or my gpu (not that I want to; the 1070 is great) I'm wondering what might be the best bet for other upgrades to at least lessen the overall impact on my rig.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i did some research on clan rictus and found out some facts

- they're the richest clan cause they own all the toll roads, they also have the skaven equivalent of gaunt's ghosts, a platoon of stormvermin called the deathvermin who are so elite the warlord views them as a threat and constantly sends them on suicide missions, which they always triumph at. so its kind of weird that tretch has the most impoverished start and no stormvermin bonuses or a special stormvermin RoR.

- on the other hand they are also sending tretch off on suicide missions all the time too, because they hate him. so i guess it kind of makes sense he has a poo poo start. but he is also renowned for his unconvential problem solving abilities. he got his start drugging a whole fort of nightgoblins by spiking their fungus brew, then realised that once he'd done something so successful he would be in danger of being killed by his superior. so he fed all the captured goblins madcap mushroom potion while the other skaven slept, and ran away before the goblins turned into spinning death balls and killed everyone.

he's done a bunch more crazy sneaky stuff since then, like killing the previous chieftain by disguising himself as a stalactite and dropping on the guy, kidnapping every goblin from an orc fortress, surviving a failed attempt to steal an imperial galleon

it would be cool if they added a mechanic where he could do cool dilemmas or schemes to get unconventional bonuses in the campaign and in battle. some kind of unlockable limited use powers for battles like the tomb kings scarab swarm thing, or the dark ark artillery. or some units like the ones orcs get from waaghs now, only you can spawn them into battle like clanrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Arcsquad12 posted:

If I want to improve my game framerate by upgrading my PC what would be the best place to start? I've got an 8gb gtx1070 and an i7-6700 processor and 16gb of ram. An SSD would help with load times i imagine compared to my hdd but would it offer much actual intake improvement?

I have a 60hz monitor so I'm capped at 60fps tops unless I upgrade that. My 16gb of ram isn't top of the line corsair stuff, just some rip jaws. I built the pc back in 2016 so it could use some upgrades but I'm not sure what would be best to get better performance out of warhammer 2. Total war games are always very cpu heavy but since I don't exactly have the money to replace my i7 or my gpu (not that I want to; the 1070 is great) I'm wondering what might be the best bet for other upgrades to at least lessen the overall impact on my rig.

SSD will make an enormous improvement, it'll be like night and day seriously.