Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I just impulsively pre-ordered this yesterday despite only ever watching an (amazing) LP of the first one and never playing it myself. I'm fully invested in so far that I'm planning to stay up till midnight and get an hour or so in to see what I actually just bought. If it's so janky it's unplayable I'll hope for patches I guess, I don't mind letting it sit for a while.

I just hope I can actually get through it because the first one seemed super obtuse more often than not and I don't think I would've figured half the stuff out myself. Maybe that's just my super vague memory of everything though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

RottenK posted:

i don't think that it's transophobia, just a fuckup. to me The Missing was a clear sign that Swery cared to try and do better, and yeah York does explicitly speak out in favor of trans people and agaist transophobia, so the deadnaming stuff (and I also saw a review mention that the same character suffers a tragic fate that might be somehow related to their gender identity) looks like Swery just didn't know that it will make this storyline look questionable

I think the most important aspect of stuff like this is whether the writer is actually trying to write a pro-lbgtq story and from what I've heard Swery unequivocally was. I can forgive someone for doing it in a clumsy way if they were making a sincere attempt in the first place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

To be fair, the deadnaming stuff is actually a cultural difference thing. It's perceived a lot differently in Japan. And even in the US, there's plenty of trans people who don't think it should be like, a closed avenue of storytelling or anything, depending on how its handled.

Yeah, it's not black and white. I know trans people who literally think their dead name should never be spoken, even if the person speaking it doesn't know any better, and I also know trans people who would just laugh and correct someone unless they were deliberately being an rear end in a top hat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like, there are people mad about dead naming in TLOU2 but like, literally the only time that happens, it's a person who just doesn't accept the trans status of the character

Like, it really baffles me. If bigoted assholes don't believe in being trans, of course they're gonna use your dead name.

Plus you get to kill them anyway

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

abraxas posted:

I just impulsively pre-ordered this yesterday despite only ever watching an (amazing) LP of the first one and never playing it myself. I'm fully invested in so far that I'm planning to stay up till midnight and get an hour or so in to see what I actually just bought. If it's so janky it's unplayable I'll hope for patches I guess, I don't mind letting it sit for a while.

I just hope I can actually get through it because the first one seemed super obtuse more often than not and I don't think I would've figured half the stuff out myself. Maybe that's just my super vague memory of everything though.

I’d be very surprised if this unlocks at midnight.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Nephthys posted:

I think the most important aspect of stuff like this is whether the writer is actually trying to write a pro-lbgtq story and from what I've heard Swery unequivocally was. I can forgive someone for doing it in a clumsy way if they were making a sincere attempt in the first place.

that's more or less my position on this too, if the scenes are bad then that's disappointing but im sure that the author had no ill intent in mind, and maybe it's not as bad as it sounds because i've seen different accounts of what occurs

i don't have a switch so i'll just have to wait and watch a playthrough on youtube and judge for myself

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

precision posted:

Like, there are people mad about dead naming in TLOU2 but like, literally the only time that happens, it's a person who just doesn't accept the trans status of the character

Like, it really baffles me. If bigoted assholes don't believe in being trans, of course they're gonna use your dead name.

Plus you get to kill them anyway

the criticism of the TLOU 2 character is that, while everyone in that game suffers a lot of pain, he suffers from things specifically and directly related to him being trans. some people are very sick of LGBT people being included in stories just to suffer for their identity as a way to add drama. in a lot of cases it's a well-intentioned attempt to bring awareness and stuff like that, but it's doesn't make it any more pleasant

think of it like this: what would you think if TLOU 2 had only one black character, and that character's storyline was about them dealing with a bunch of modern slavers trying to catch them to work on a cotton plantation. also the slavers yell the n-word a lot while you fight them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RottenK posted:

the criticism of the TLOU 2 character is that, while everyone in that game suffers a lot of pain, he suffers from things specifically and directly related to him being trans. some people are very sick of LGBT people being included in stories just to suffer for their identity as a way to add drama. in a lot of cases it's a well-intentioned attempt to bring awareness and stuff like that, but it's doesn't make it any more pleasant

I'm aware of that

Also I'm queer and nonbinary for the record

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

precision posted:

I'm aware of that

Also I'm queer and nonbinary for the record

if you know why people are upset then what was your post about? in-story explanations for why there are people being disgustingly and violently transphobic towards the sole trans character don't really have any relation to the criticisms that are being made, since the whole problem is that the writers have decided that the trans character's story just has to be about him suffering because of bigotry

some people are going to have that leave a very bad taste in their mouth and some people are going to be okay with that and be glad that they get to save Lev and kill the bigots, and I think that neither side is really wrong here

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

RottenK posted:

think of it like this: what would you think if TLOU 2 had only one black character, and that character's storyline was about them dealing with a bunch of modern slavers trying to catch them to work on a cotton plantation. also the slavers yell the n-word a lot while you fight them

I would think it was cool if it had Quentin Tarantino's name on it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RottenK posted:

if you know why people are upset then what was your post about?

There are people who are upset without the context you provided.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

precision posted:

There are people who are upset without the context you provided.

Oh, okay.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Back on topic to deadly premonition 2 this would normally be an instant buy from me but I’m going to wait for goon reviews about just exactly how bad the framerate issue is.

I can deal with annoying but not broken.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

man nurse posted:

I’d be very surprised if this unlocks at midnight.

I suppose it might not but so far every game I've pre-ordered on Switch released at midnight (or shortly after) here in Germany. Maybe it's not like that everywhere?

e: they've also all had a pre-load so it just did it's little check to see if its the right date and then it just worked :shrug:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

For those of you who have an hour and a half to kill this is a great and thorough story summary of the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdeliteWEzk

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

:pray: please be good. Or at least "good" in the way I'm hoping it will be after 1

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I mean, I've barely seen anything, but I'm sold

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

:pray: please be good. Or at least "good" in the way I'm hoping it will be after 1

It will probably be exactly as good in a technical sense as the first one, leaving the heavy lifting to be done by the characters, environment, and story, all signs of which point to good.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBL3TggDI8

Live right now, shes playing it, if anyone wants to see how it runs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Games unlocked, restart Steam

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The aussies have won again. Will their winning ever end

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Slower start than the first game so far...

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Sakurazuka posted:

Slower start than the first game so far...

agreed... i love it :getin:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

3 hours in trip report: it’s simply incredible

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
mild spoiler:
york said the f-word :wth:

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Deadly premonition 2 spoilers are obviously out but what about deadly premonition 1? I wanna post about zach

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I would say still spoiler the major plot reveals from DP1

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Zongerian posted:

I would think it was cool if it had Quentin Tarantino's name on it

Eh, no. There are a lot of things about Django Unchained that I hate with a passion.

And this doesn't deal with your post, but there are times where trying isn't good enough because there are ways to avoid the kind of clumsy mistakes that that movie made, not to mention Tarantino's dumbass way of defending it.

man nurse posted:

It will probably be exactly as good in a technical sense as the first one, leaving the heavy lifting to be done by the characters, environment, and story, all signs of which point to good.

The Xbox 360 version ran pretty decently well from what I remember. It was the ports that started running like poo poo.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
Basically York is what would happen if you held a mirror up to a mirror, and one of the infinite reflections poked his head out and started talking to you about John Carpenter

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

man nurse posted:

It will probably be exactly as good in a technical sense as the first one

After playing for about 3 hours last night, lol no. My jaw actually dropped when I first started running around outside and the load times are absolutely insane. The skateboard is unbelievably loud and bumping into the slightest thing will cause whatever dialog is happening to abruptly cut off. It's ridiculous.

Can't wait to play more though.

fuckingusername
Jun 6, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

After playing for about 3 hours last night, lol no. My jaw actually dropped when I first started running around outside and the load times are absolutely insane. The skateboard is unbelievably loud and bumping into the slightest thing will cause whatever dialog is happening to abruptly cut off. It's ridiculous.

Can't wait to play more though.

This is very close to my experience. If you touch a wall with the skateboard, you automatically, instantly stop and rotate 180 degrees. I got stuck between two objects and it took a while minute of legitimately trying to disentangle myself. I was laughing like a maniac the whole time.

I'm finding it dangerous to engage animals outside because if patti runs anywhere near you, you have a good chance of losing 100 dollars instead of hitting your target.

Still unironically loving every second.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Crossposting myself from the switch thread because I didn't know this one existed :v:

quote:

For anyone running custom firmware, overclocking cpu to 1785mhz and memory to 1600mhz has made the framerate in Deadly Premonition 2 go from "basically unplayable" to simply "bad". It's worth it if you can do it.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Wow, the bowling is kicking my rear end. Does anyone have some tips to pick up the big five split?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I'm 3 hours in and this is absolutely brilliant. York is possibly more batshit and it's so good to be back with him. Punched a bunch of squirrels while laughing my rear end off then ran a lady over with my skateboard.

I love it

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I've only played an hour and yea this is the same vibe I got from the first game. It's janky and weird and sorta off putting but it's great. I'm gonna go ahead and spoiler this stuff but reminder I've only played an hour so nothing too major.

Morgan looks like poo poo! How long is it supposed to have been since the first one because holy hell has he aged terribly!

I'm 100% positive that the apartment is the one from D4. I wonder if it's just a reference/joke or if it plays into the story more. I always felt like D4 had a connection to Deadly Premonition.

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
I saw a gameplay video of this and saw frames drop to almost powerpoint levels in the scene that was shown. Is that a recurring thing as fps issues are putting me off from getting this game.
Is it worth playing through the first deadly premonition prior to getting this?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yep it sure looks and runs like poo poo but I’m grinning ear to ear playing this so far, it’s so awesome to have more DP. It’s hitting all the right notes

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I only got to play through to where you can first go out into the open world, but I really enjoyed the intro. It was well paced, funny, took its time to do lots of setup and worldbuilding, had plenty of fanservice but also stood up on its own merits. I'm sure punching 750 stray dogs to death at 10fps in the open world will take some sheen off of it in short order but I'm extremely happy with how it turned out so far

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
framerate issues aside this game owns. It's a real rollercoaster of emotions from seeing Zack absolutely broken after the Greenvale case to 20 minutes later laughing at York just babbling on about Cat People to a man who is simultaneously the chef, concierge, and bellboy for an entire hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah the game runs so poorly that I’d say only hardcore fans need apply. Then again, who else was gonna play a DP sequel?

This game has charm out the rear end so far. The characters and writing is everything I’d want to see from another game in this series so far.