Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Methanar posted:

Love to submit 5 trivial PRs to fix small things and get bullshit nitpick NEEDS WORK comments on all of them because somebody's always got to have some 'contribution'

Really. you're going to mark my PR as bad because you think this means there is an initial 10 second delay before executing the task.

code:
  register: apt_success
  retries: 10
  delay: 10
  until: apt_success is success
I'm so tired of this.

I need to figure out a good way to mark a PR with something like "I don't know if this is a problem or not, and I trust your judgment as a co-worker, but please take a look at this before you hit merge"

Bitbucket has an option that prevents merges with open tasks, so I think I'm going to start creating little tasks on my comments with the above phrasing, then approving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:ohdear: wait is it actually a problem to have an internal-only website that can only talk to authenticated sessions on the remote landing pad?
Did I do a bad?

e: we have Azure password self service disabled as well as o365 access, and no plans to change that apparently. So I'm kind of out of options here...

it depends - some places have a separate policy/zone for services VPN users access, primarily because people lose their creds all the time and often VPN access comes from untrusted machines. Usually this gives them access to a subset of hardened internal services, or for the more hardcore, a duplicated set of services living in a proto-DMZ.

i.e say a user wants to work on a file remotely. The org has a file server that exists in a "DMZ" which is accessible from the VPN and from the internal network, but cannot talk directly to the internal network. If your VPN device gets crypto-lockered or worse, the external file server is vulnerable but not the internal resources. Further, there is often data governance policy around what can be put on that DMZ file server so users are more aware about the risks of making things accessible to remote users.

So to answer your question, it can be a problem and depends on the strength of;
* the authentication system that backs your remote access
* the policy between your remote users and the internal system
* the quality of the services themselves i.e patching, hardening, etc.

I'm a big believer that VPN should look exactly like on-prem, but it should be tough/impossible to break into without exploiting a 0-day which means generally 3-factor auth - machine cert, user/password, and MFA.

You probably validated all that stuff already so it sounds like the guy was just flexing in your case but he probably saw the firewall rules or whatever and freaked out

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
We have VPN for only devices issued by us.
For everything else there's the Guacamole which is just a Pulse Secure appliance that spits everyone out onto an internal server so they can have a "desktop" on the network. This server is what is so locked down that users can't even change their password. Which is dumb considering it still has full access to all the file shares and whatnot but at least we are less likely to be crypto'd because of some user's home PC being infected.

I would say Pulse Secure is pretty good but they recently had a vulnerability that hackers took advantage of to steal credentials from us and attempt to sell them on the internet.
Pulse Secure has also been a pretty attractive target for hackers, and continues to be apparently. CISA even did a write up after they investigated our hack that pretty much covers the exploit and includes a link to a useful tool: https://us-cert.cisa.gov/ncas/alerts/aa20-107a

Our DMZ unfortunately is not used in such a manner that would protect our files. It's pretty much where we just put anything externally facing, which is kind of dumb but better than nothing I suppose.
We use 2FA but not for Pulse Secure, just for the direct VPN connections which also is silly.

The network engineer sat in on the change control meeting and agreed to everything beforehand, then saw the traffic afterwards and gave it the axe without confirming what it was. But he also didn't tell anyone, and here we are 2 days later and the password change website still doesn't work anymore.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Yesterday I had to make a change on our web proxy (I don't do it often, as I just deputise for when the normal guy isn't around, but there was a fishing attack)

I made a slight error and accidently blocked google for a bit :D That confused a few people.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Ah cool, the intuitively named Windows update 2004 managed to disable 90% of my company's laptop webcams. They already loving did a webcam breaking update a few years back and haven't learned yet?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zero VGS posted:

Ah cool, the intuitively named Windows update 2004 managed to disable 90% of my company's laptop webcams. They already loving did a webcam breaking update a few years back and haven't learned yet?

I'm an admitted MSFT homer, but QA (and documentation) went out the loving window when Satya took over. I'm not on the end user compute team, but we run a full patch behind because of their crap. They count on insiders running preview builds to report problems now, but you know that already so I guess I'm just bitching along side you

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I have "Windows Update For Business" setup via GPO to defer feature updates for quite a long period.

Every feature update I have some machines for some reason ignore the deferral settings. 2004 was no different. I have had 7 machines download and install the update even though the deferral settings are present in the registry and have been since the introduction of WUfB.

Edit:

OK, only 6 machines, but still. Why have the settings if the OS is just going to ignore them sometimes. :mad:

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 10, 2020

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Windows 10 Anniversary Update dropped support for MJPEG and H.264 codecs for cameras with AFAIK no prior notice. Post-update only YUY2 encoding was supported for camera devices.

quote:

with the Anniversary update there are new scenarios for applications to be able to access the webcam and the MJPEG or H264 encoding processes could have resulted in duplication of encoding the stream (poor performance) so the company limited the input methods to stop this from happening.

"Rather than devise a sane solution for cases of duplication of encoding, we decided to make tens of millions of your devices worthless because gently caress you."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Nobody really uses webcams, and they're really cheap to replace right now, anyway, so I don't see what the big deal is?

Thank God Microsoft is saving all that money on QA.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sheep posted:

Windows 10 Anniversary Update dropped support for MJPEG and H.264 codecs for cameras with AFAIK no prior notice. Post-update only YUY2 encoding was supported for camera devices.

You can circumvent that by setting the intuitive regedit string HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > WOW6432Node > Microsoft > Windows Media Foundation > Platform > EnableFrameServerMode to 0

Still a poo poo move tho.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanatosian posted:

Nobody really uses webcams, and they're really cheap to replace right now, anyway, so I don't see what the big deal is?

Thank God Microsoft is saving all that money on QA.

I use mine like all day every day?
Also a single webcam is cheap.
A thousand webcams are not.

Plus even as recent as a month ago our CDWG literally laughed when we said we wanted to order webcams. As if they were never going to be in stock again. I think they only have one model available at the moment afaik.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're waiting on like 40 webcams. Can't loving get them. If you have 200 people that has never worked from home before, bosses are asking for them to have webcams. No, they don't have laptops.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I use mine like all day every day?
Also a single webcam is cheap.
A thousand webcams are not.

Plus even as recent as a month ago our CDWG literally laughed when we said we wanted to order webcams. As if they were never going to be in stock again. I think they only have one model available at the moment afaik.

I believe :thejoke:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I got wooshed.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GreenNight posted:

We're waiting on like 40 webcams. Can't loving get them. If you have 200 people that has never worked from home before, bosses are asking for them to have webcams. No, they don't have laptops.

On one hand we've got an order for 250 webcams which are just getting to be shipped out, on the other hand our workstation supplier narrowly avoided destruction because the warehouse next to them loving exploded and burned to the ground, 2020 is the year that never stops.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've finally had to speak to my line manager about a coworker and the total lack of care and effort they put into their work, which then requires me to get involved with and fix. I could probably have put up with it for a bit longer if they'd shown any signs that they were learning or were willing to try and learn, and if it wasn't starting to take up so much of my own time that it was impacting on what I was needing to get done. The final straw came this week when he worked with one of our sales guys to put a proposal together for a customer, developed the whole schedule of work, got it approved and then turned around to me and asked for help with every aspect of the project which was planned like poo poo anyway. Sorry but I can't do your job as well as mine and make it all fit into a schedule that you've pulled out of your arse, based on claims you've made about a set of products that you know nothing about.

This is the worst possible time for someone to go through any sort of disciplinary process but the guy has brought the whole thing on himself, it still feels a bit like making GBS threads on your own team though.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Super Slash posted:

our workstation supplier narrowly avoided destruction because the warehouse next to them loving exploded and burned to the ground, 2020 is the year that never stops.

We get most of our computers from Dell Refurb, it felt nice to be mostly insulated from the laptop shortage back in March until a tornado literally hit their distribution center.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

klosterdev posted:

We get most of our computers from Dell Refurb, it felt nice to be mostly insulated from the laptop shortage back in March until a tornado literally hit their distribution center.

2020! :argh:

(We need a 2020-emote in the same style as :ccp: at some point...)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Super Slash posted:

On one hand we've got an order for 250 webcams which are just getting to be shipped out, on the other hand our workstation supplier narrowly avoided destruction because the warehouse next to them loving exploded and burned to the ground, 2020 is the year that never stops.

My vendor called me to tell me he finally got some Logitech C930e like I wanted in stock for $120 a pop, cool, order me ten.

Calls me back two days later "uh yeah actually some lady in the other department canceled your order and sold them to a hospital instead. No one likes her."

I got a hearty lol outta that one. Was probably a for-profit hospital too I bet.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 11, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Looking for some input on this as I've not been a hardware guy for a long time.

I have a situation where the server spec is being questioned. It's a SQL server running on a VM and has been allocated 4 single cores, but the project called for 2 dual cores. My gut tells me that dual core is better for multitasking and Windows handles resources better than just single cores. Thoughts?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

At lower core counts like that I expect it probably doesn’t matter at all in practice. If your database is having bad performance issues, flipping that switch is like 50 items down the list of things to do. But you can read a bunch of words about the difference here

https://blogs.vmware.com/performance/2017/03/virtual-machine-vcpu-and-vnuma-rightsizing-rules-of-thumb.html

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 11, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bonzo posted:

4 single cores, but the project called for 2 dual cores

Edit: shouldn't matter in your case much at all

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

it still feels a bit like making GBS threads on your own team though.

You don’t have a team.

You have a bunch of people working together, helping each other out in a reciprocating fashion, who trust each other to do the work, and who look out for each other.

Then you have this person who is a time sink, an energy sink, who you don’t trust, who is incompetent in the role, and with whom you dread working.

Sack this person and then you can start being a team again.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bonzo posted:

I have a situation where the server spec is being questioned. It's a SQL server running on a VM and has been allocated 4 single cores, but the project called for 2 dual cores. My gut tells me that dual core is better for multitasking and Windows handles resources better than just single cores. Thoughts?

Check with your team on the sql server version, older versions were licensed by socket so going 2 socket/2 core was cheaper than the default 4 socket/1 core

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Bonzo posted:

If you're asking for presenting 4 socket with 1 core per socket vs presenting 2 sockets with 2 cores per socket, the 2x2 is better. As in the VMWare blog linked, SQL puts cores on the same socket in a NUMA node which is used for sharing of cache and processing queries.

If you have some reason not to give it to them, ask for a benchmark query to test the performance both ways. They probably won't be able to give you one where it actually matters.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Appreciate the replies, keep 'em comin!

Docjowles posted:

At lower core counts like that I expect it probably doesn’t matter at all in practice. If your database is having bad performance issues, flipping that switch is like 50 items down the list of things to do. But you can read a bunch of words about the difference here

https://blogs.vmware.com/performance/2017/03/virtual-machine-vcpu-and-vnuma-rightsizing-rules-of-thumb.html

Yeah I'm down to this point in my argument. I know there's blocking, but the app guys swear its not them. Fragmentation isn't an issue, snapshot isolation is on, etc. I'm not even seeing RAM or CPU pegged at 99% in task manager. There's another environment where this works and the only differences we can see is that the server with the issue is single core.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Agrikk posted:

You don’t have a team.

[...] you have this person who is a time sink, an energy sink, who you don’t trust, who is incompetent in the role, and with whom you dread working. [...]

Thanks for distilling why I've been unhappy with my job for the past year into a single sentence.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

You don’t have a team.

You have a bunch of people working together, helping each other out in a reciprocating fashion, who trust each other to do the work, and who look out for each other.

Then you have this person who is a time sink, an energy sink, who you don’t trust, who is incompetent in the role, and with whom you dread working.

Sack this person and then you can start being a team again.

Well I can't disagree with any of that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bonzo posted:

Push back regardless, whether or not the value is all that much. Otherwise you'll be doing this on every project.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Push back regardless, whether or not the value is all that much. Otherwise you'll be doing this on every project.

This. Especially if you can't articulate a concrete reason why deviating from the published project specifications is acceptable, follow the specifications so that it isn't your rear end on the line if/when things don't work properly because the specifications weren't followed. You give up a lot and gain nothing by giving on something like this.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Thanks. I did not build or spec these systems and all involved know that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bonzo posted:

Thanks. I did not build or spec these systems and all involved know that.

Then it's all the more important you push back, because they think you're the way to circumvent whoever DID spec those systems.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Also I would bet that as soon as there's a performance issue someone is going to suggest to try running it on a dual core VM, which is gonna mean a bunch of re-work anyway

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Gealar posted:

It never ceases to amaze me the things I find out during the conversations that go on here. I could never figure out why the first hour or so of our xen desktop machines would be horrible and then settle back to normal. Probably never would have since I moved us away from it because of the weird crap like this.

Whats bad is, if it got better after an hour that means whoever set up the environment didn't actually optimize to best practices and just turn off windows search (which really only turns off building the search index) or having a solution to roam the search index/cache.

If they didn't do that they probably messed up a bunch of other things that would make the VDI experience much better as well. Not surprised you ended up moving away from it, done right VDI can be really really close to a normal desktop experience but most people don't do things right and it quickly becomes at best an annoyance, at worst a nightmare for the user.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

Love to submit 5 trivial PRs to fix small things and get bullshit nitpick NEEDS WORK comments on all of them because somebody's always got to have some 'contribution'

Really. you're going to mark my PR as bad because you think this means there is an initial 10 second delay before executing the task.

code:
  register: apt_success
  retries: 10
  delay: 10
  until: apt_success is success
I'm so tired of this.
one day people will figure out that it's possible to leave a comment on a code review without blocking it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
We got emailed a speadsheet. "Hey our script disabled some PCs, if a user calls and their PC is on the list, move it back to the right OU."

There's 7,500 rows on this sheet, and we only employe ~5k people. Hell of a script.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

We got emailed a speadsheet. "Hey our script disabled some PCs, if a user calls and their PC is on the list, move it back to the right OU."

There's 7,500 rows on this sheet, and we only employe ~5k people. Hell of a script.

I sure hope that there were just a whole bunch of old PCs in AD they needed to clean up. Otherwise, that's gonna be a rough day for helldesk.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think "most" were but clearly some weren't, and this is a reeaally big starting number to "oopsie" 10% of.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Last minute all staff meeting today in which we were told Tata is taking over infrastructure services, and office locations will be consolidating. Might be laid off, might not. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:smith: