Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That was a badass way to show how he came up with the Core Gundam's gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

The latest episode of re rise dropped and boy was not expecting that eve would be the one asking hiroto to essentially murder her.

Not to mention she's got some [spoiler]big Madoka energy, cleaning up all the corrupt bits of Sarah to let the more boring EL-Diver live.[spoiler]

That fight against the PG Strike was a great opener.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Azubah posted:

That was a badass way to show how he came up with the Core Gundam's gimmick.

Speed Grade is a deep pull

Monaghan posted:

The latest episode of re rise dropped and boy was not expecting that eve would be the one asking hiroto to essentially murder her.

Yeah that makes his whole thing, especially about not wanting to be on a team, way more interesting.

Near the end of the first season I was pretty firm on my stance that nothing they could do with the show going further would make up for how loving boring the first ten episodes were. But they kinda are?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hunter Noventa posted:

Not to mention she's got some big Madoka energy, cleaning up all the corrupt bits of Sarah to let the more boring EL-Diver live.

I don't know anything about Madoka, presuming you're talking about Puella Magi Madoka Magica, but my main complaint with this episode is that Eve was exactly as empty and boring as Sarah. Or at least, the first half of Divers Sarah, because I stopped watching after that. Eve is just a magic wish fulfillment girl with nothing of her own going on, no personality beyond being cute and nice and whose only goal is so ambiguous as to be meaningless (i.e. I'd like to travel beyond GBN's limits). If they'd actually leaned in to it, and Hiroto had known she was data all along, so she could want to leave GBN and see the real world or shown the audience she had some memory of being an Eldoran and wanting to return to physical form, then that'd be a concrete goal. As is, it's just a meaningless platitude, meant more to inspire Hiroto to protect Eldora (someplace beyond GBN), than to give her some tangible motives.

I'm also not a fan of the fact that Eve predates Sarah, because it whiffs of bad fan-fiction. As in "my character is totally more important than the main character of the actual story!". Which, I'm presuming they felt she had to be older to incorporate something about Eldora, but it seems like the kind of thing there should really have been a work around for. I don't mind that there are dozens of Eldivers now, when Sarah caused so many issues last show or anything, like one guy here was complaining about, but it just rubs me as disrespectful and dickish to have Eve inserted in to Sarah's story in this fashion. It nearly seems like someone going "Oh yeah, Riku and Sarah would totally have lost if not for my cool character acting behind the scenes!

Other than those two complaints, good episode. The opening battle and origin for Core Gundam was cool, the reveal that Hiroto was more motivated by a desire to explore the possibilities of GBN than battle when designing the Core Gundam was a nice little bit of characterization, seeing Hiroto act out more and be more open in general was fun and the final scene could set up an emotional bit for the next episode, even if I'm not a fan of Eve herself.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 9, 2020

Burns
May 10, 2008

Midjack posted:

They won’t until North America loves the UC as much as Japan. Only then will we get remakes of AU series.

Probably starting with Seed. And then X.

Given the recent death (suicide) of star wars we are gonna need something new to latch onto.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burns posted:

Given the recent death (suicide) of star wars we are gonna need something new to latch onto.

G-Savior soft reboot cinematic universe.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm fine with eve being kinda boring since she's only around for two episodes as she provides insight as to why Hiroto is the way he is. The big problem with Sarah is that the entire last half of the season revolved around everyone trying to save her. But the audience never was given any reason to care about her at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
yeah from a storytelling perspective there's no reason for Eve to be a complex character. Her only role is to motivate Hiroto.

And frankly if anybody wants to take a crack at retroactively improving the story of Build Divers I say more power to them

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, I don't mind her being boring really, so much as I just find it slightly disappointing because I think the show generally does a good job giving it's cast some personality and definition. I do think next episode will hit some emotional moments regardless, but it'll all be because of Hiroto and not because I have any personal affection for Eve herself.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Oh my god

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Tell me that's not genuinely a pickle Zaku.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
It's the MS-39 Saku from an obscure parody manga, Re:RISE is going deep for its throwaway references.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Yinlock posted:

frozen teardrop is really bad

i realize this has not stopped them before, but it's the only explanation i can think of

isn't the guy who wrote that also doing that new inuyasha anime

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Willo567 posted:

isn't the guy who wrote that also doing that new inuyasha anime

He wrote for the original IY anime, too.

He is pretty much the creator of Wing. He wrote for the first season of the anime, the Glory of Losers manga and Endless Waltz. I forget if he did the Episode Zero series for the main characters but I think so.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

He wrote for the original IY anime, too.

He is pretty much the creator of Wing. He wrote for the first season of the anime, the Glory of Losers manga and Endless Waltz. I forget if he did the Episode Zero series for the main characters but I think so.

i believe he also wrote a few episodes of brain powered, aka the anime with the robot opening a normal sized door

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

According to the story he told, tomino gushed over his eriting, called his wife to praise her for marrying such a talented man, then threw it out and rewrote everything

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

3 posted:

It's the MS-39 Saku from an obscure parody manga, Re:RISE is going deep for its throwaway references.

I mean that's been a consistent thing for all the Build shows, the previous series made a very obscure SD Gundam reference in the first episode

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Also the 5 second bit with the G-Saviour before it gets chopped in half.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

I'm also not a fan of the fact that Eve predates Sarah, because it whiffs of bad fan-fiction. As in "my character is totally more important than the main character of the actual story!". Which, I'm presuming they felt she had to be older to incorporate something about Eldora, but it seems like the kind of thing there should really have been a work around for. I don't mind that there are dozens of Eldivers now, when Sarah caused so many issues last show or anything, like one guy here was complaining about, but it just rubs me as disrespectful and dickish to have Eve inserted in to Sarah's story in this fashion. It nearly seems like someone going "Oh yeah, Riku and Sarah would totally have lost if not for my cool character acting behind the scenes!

That was me, and why I was saying "oh, but really there were many EL-Divers!!" is bad writing. Little details like that will accumulate until you spot the big problem one way or another. :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is the 1/1 Gundam statue a god grade model

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

tfw no cute data gf to build robots with :(

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Droyer posted:

tfw no cute data gf to build robots with :(

imagine building gunpla irl with a little gunpla person

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

3 posted:

when are they going to put it in gundam versus maxiboost

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Apparently the next season of Love Live is going to be set at a high school on Odaiba Island. So it's basically guaranteed that there's gonna be an episode where they sing in front of the Unicorn Gundam

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So Thunderbolt is continuing to be just absolutely crazy, now we've got the Psycho "Nise Gundam"* combining with the Braw Bro in order to fight the Bull-G

*what I'm calling the "Psycho Zaku wearing Gundam parts" configuration since that's a mouthful to say or type

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

So Thunderbolt is continuing to be just absolutely crazy, now we've got the Psycho "Nise Gundam"* combining with the Braw Bro in order to fight the Bull-G

*what I'm calling the "Psycho Zaku wearing Gundam parts" configuration since that's a mouthful to say or type

... Can you show us what the gattai looks like because I can't picture that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Get this: his name is full frontal

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

... Can you show us what the gattai looks like because I can't picture that.

here you go;

it's left to right instead of the usual right to left for some reason

also people are speculating that since Daryl is piloting a Zaku with a Gundam skin, that in turn Io might end up piloting one of the Zeong's that the Federation captured with it given a Gundam coating(between all this and the Federation rebuilt version of the Big Zam that was in 0083 Rebellion I'm loving this recent trend of giving Zeon suits Federation makeovers)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
......huh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

here you go;

also people are speculating that since Daryl is piloting a Zaku with a Gundam skin, that in turn Io might end up piloting one of the Zeong's that the Federation captured with it given a Gundam coating(between all this and the Federation rebuilt version of the Big Zam that was in 0083 Rebellion I'm loving this recent trend of giving Zeon suits Federation makeovers)

... I think we may have a new winner for "Biggest Backpack In Gundam."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not when the GP-03 Dendrobium exists, you don't.

Edit: Actually, looking at the sizes for both the Braw Bro and Dendrobium Orchis, they're probably about the same size, discounting the huge long gun the Dendrobium has.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 11, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Not when the GP-03 Dendrobium exists, you don't.

Edit: Actually, looking at the sizes for both the Braw Bro and Dendrobium Orchis, they're probably about the same size, discounting the huge long gun the Dendrobium has.

I mean if we're going to count the Dendrobium then the Neo Zeong would also count. I was thinking of actual backpacks in this case.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if we're going to count the Dendrobium then the Neo Zeong would also count. I was thinking of actual backpacks in this case.

I don't see what makes the Braw Bro any less of a backpack in this scenario than the Dendrobium really, though yeah, the Neo Zeong probably wins regardless since you mention it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
That's just a Universal Century version of the METEOR System

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I don't see what makes the Braw Bro any less of a backpack in this scenario than the Dendrobium really

One of them attaches to the back and the other doesn't.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That sure is some giant robot there.

I'm not sure what else I have to say other than I hope they go full Power Loader and have the Braw Bro flip around and turn into the head of an even bigger Zaku.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I don't see what makes the Braw Bro any less of a backpack in this scenario than the Dendrobium really, though yeah, the Neo Zeong probably wins regardless since you mention it.

The Neo Zeong is pants, not a backpack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drrockso20 posted:

here you go;

At that point it's just a gunship with a mobile suit as a figurehead.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At that point it's just a gunship with a mobile suit as a figurehead.

And we now know the predecessor to the Mother Vanguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Theyre making a 1:1 scale Freedom in China.